ADVERTISEMENT

Just got back from Carver

like-woahh

HR Heisman
Feb 8, 2014
Made the trek from Des Moines today due to falling into some pretty ridiculous tickets. It's incredible the difference watching this level of basketball at basically floor level. It gives a person an all new level of appreciation for the athleticism and speed these kids play with.

I haven't re-watched the game yet on T.V. so a few of my in person takeaways:

1. Jett Howard and Kris going toe to toe that first half was incredible to watch in person. It didn't matter how good of defense they played on Jett that first half, he was just hitting everything. That McDaniel kid is lightning quick and Dickinson is huge. Someone needs to buy #42 Tschetter some bigger shorts, he looks like a complete dweeb wearing those daisy dukes.

2. Grey haired official was complete trash the 1st half and mostly ate his whistle the 2nd half. Most of the garbage calls in the game were made by him.

3. It's interesting watching player/coach dynamics in person. Perkins was completely out to lunch defensively, and after Michigan nailed that 2nd 3 close to the start of the 2nd half, Fran called a timeout and lit into the team pretty good. Got to see a classic Fran chair toss in person. After that, Perkins basically rode the pine the rest of the game and had pretty poor body language. Hopefully he pulls himself out of the funk he's in. Also, not sure if the broadcast mentioned it, but looked like Ulis tweaked a muscle or something, was a little gimpy and then sat on the bench for most of the 2nd half.

4. Dix is good ball player. You can tell he understands the game and has a great shooting stroke. Super impressed with how he handled running the point and taking care of the ball in the 2nd half. I think we have a good one with him.

5. Michigan just kept hitting big shot after big shot to suck the air out of the building. Carver would be ready to explode and they either nailed a 3 or forced a turnover, it was infuriating.

6. I'll end with this because I could go on for awhile... Sandfort taking over and capping it off by nailing that 3 and completing the 4 point play to tie the game up with 20 seconds left was one of the coolest moments I've witnessed watching a game in person... and it was like eye level right in front me on that half of the floor. The place went absolutely bonkers and all of that momentum carried into the overtime. Hopefully it translated onto T.V. because I couldn't hear the person standing next to me. If he keeps up this standard of play, Iowa has a chance to do some damage the rest of the season.

That game was so much ****ing fun, I'm still amped up after a 2 hour drive from Iowa City.

/end diary post

Made the trek from Des Moines today due to falling into some pretty ridiculous tickets. It's incredible the difference watching this level of basketball at basically floor level. It gives a person an all new level of appreciation for the athleticism and speed these kids play with.

1. Jett Howard and Kris going toe to toe that first half was incredible to watch in person. It didn't matter how good of defense they played on Jett that first half, he was just hitting everything. That McDaniel kid is lightning quick and Dickinson is huge. Someone needs to buy #42 Tschetter some bigger shorts, he looks like a complete dweeb wearing those daisy dukes.

2. Grey haired official was complete trash the 1st half and mostly ate his whistle the 2nd half. Most of the garbage calls in the game were made by him.

3. It's interesting watching player/coach dynamics in person. Perkins was completely out to lunch defensively, and after Michigan nailed that 2nd 3 close to the start of the 2nd half, Fran called a timeout and lit into the team pretty good. Got to see a classic Fran chair toss in person. After that, Perkins basically rode the pine the rest of the game and had pretty poor body language. Hopefully he pulls himself out of the funk he's in. Also, not sure if the broadcast mentioned it, but looked like Ulis tweaked a muscle or something, was a little gimpy and then sat on the bench for most of the 2nd half.

4. Dix is good ball player. You can tell he understands the game and has a great shooting stroke. Super impressed with how he handled running the point and taking care of the ball in the 2nd half. I think we have a good one with him.

5. Michigan just kept hitting big shot after big shot to suck the air out of the building. Carver would be ready to explode and they either nailed a 3 or forced a turnover, it was infuriating.

6. I'll end with this because I could go on for awhile... Sandfort taking over and capping it off by nailing that 3 and completing the 4 point play to tie the game up with 20 seconds left was one of the coolest moments I've witnessed watching a game in person... and it was like eye level right in front me on that half of the floor. The place went absolutely bonkers and all of that momentum carried into the overtime. Hopefully it translated onto T.V. because I couldn't hear the person standing next to me. If he keeps up this standard of play, Iowa has a chance to do some damage the rest of the season.

That game was so much ****ing fun, I'm still amped up after a 2 hour drive from Iowa City.

/end diary post
Nice work the crowd was awesome tonight on TV!

/end diary post
Excellent observations. Thanks for sharing.

/end diary post
AWESOME POST

Sanford Three point play was amazing. Kris was forced to try a three with the clock running down. Shot was short and Sandfort caught and tossed up the ball in one motion to beat the clock. All the while being undercut by Michigan's guard. Terrific play and yes the crowd was going wild.

To those that were there .....

Crowd Nuts-O-Meter higher for Sandfort's crazy 3 pointer or his crazy 4 pointer?

Reactions: AlvySinger
The Sandfott story has been fun to watch. During his oh-fer streak you could see just how hard his teammates and coaches were trying to keep his spirits and confidence up and intact. And then watching how Sandfort and the program has reacted to his last two games has been great.

I simply love the emotion in the game.

Trying to keep an eye on how the team and coaches respond to Perkins’ struggles, if the same kind of story arc plays out.

To those that were there .....

Crowd Nuts-O-Meter higher for Sandfort's crazy 3 pointer or his crazy 4 pointer?

It's tough to say, both moments were pretty nuts, but I lean towards the 3 point play in overtime. 4 pointer he still had to hit the free throw, and Michigan was going to have the last shot. There was a lot of nervous energy, because we all know, the shot always goes in.

That 3 point play in overtime extended the lead to 6 and there was an avalanche of momentum at that point.

The Sandfott story has been fun to watch. During his oh-fer streak you could see just how hard his teammates and coaches were trying to keep his spirits and confidence up and intact. And then watching how Sandfort and the program has reacted to his last two games has been great.

I simply love the emotion in the game.

Trying to keep an eye on how the team and coaches respond to Perkins’ struggles, if the same kind of story arc plays out.

I have to believe Tony is going to snap out of it and come back to form. His body language was a little concerning last night, but everyone reacts different so I'm not going to make assumptions. I do feel like he's the type of player whose offensive game fuels his defensive attitude.

I have to believe Tony is going to snap out of it and come back to form. His body language was a little concerning last night, but everyone reacts different so I'm not going to make assumptions. I do feel like he's the type of player whose offensive game fuels his defensive attitude.
I actually think he's lost confidence on both ends, and his body language has been bad for weeks.

I actually think he's lost confidence on both ends, and his body language has been bad for weeks.

Assuming that Tony's physically good to go, what's the best way to bring him back?,.. Cut his minutes and he might check out, keep his minutes and he may just get more frustrated... Sanford had his drought as well.

/end diary post
If I knew how to post a gif of the guy running through the brick wall I would. Great post and thanks for supporting the Hawks last night! In a game that tight the crowd can easily change a loss to a win.

Attendance was horrible. I didn't expect that. Maybe yalf full. Awesome game though. Glad I went.

Yeah, behind the baskets half way up was empty on both sides. From what I heard, students were just getting back from break, so that might help explain that side a little bit.

Reactions: JLDHAWK
Assuming that Tony's physically good to go, what's the best way to bring him back?,.. Cut his minutes and he might check out, keep his minutes and he may just get more frustrated... Sanford had his drought as well.

He may be the type of player that plays better with a chip on his shoulder. Have him be the 6th man that ultimately ends up with starter minutes, but only if he's playing well.

The game was a blast. I'll say the 4-point play was louder, as we were in a desperation moment and Sandfort was pulling out a miracle. Both plays were amazing.

Classes start on Tuesday, so I think most students will come back to campus this weekend. Probably not many at the game.

As long as the people that show up make noise. Beats a packed house that sits on their hands.
my wife commented that the crowd was much younger than the one for the womens games,. It seemed similar in size to womens games. The crowd was loud for its size, but the game was also very intense. Iowa would make a run, the crowd would get up, and then Michigan would answer.

Attendance was horrible. I didn't expect that. Maybe yalf full. Awesome game though. Glad I went.
11,498 or 76% of capacity for a 6 PM game on a Thursday...

Also last night:

Minnesota at Ohio State 11,202 or 59% of capacity in a metro of 2.15 million...

Wednesday:

IU at PSU 8,502 or 56% of capacity

Rutgers at NW 5,274 or 75% of capacity in a metro of 9.4 million

Tuesday:

MSU at Wisconsin 14,260 or 82% of capacity Metro of 680,000

Illinois at Nebraska 12,756 or 85% of capacity Lincoln metro is 340,000 with Omaha at 1,000,000 45 minutes away...

Question: Were Dickinson's moving screens as obvious in person as they were on TV? I said it in the game thread, but it looked like he was pass blocking out there. Literally pushing guys with his forearms on the perimeter the entire game.

/end diary post
Glad you had fun, sounds like great seats too.

Reactions: like-woahh
Like you, I really watch the players body language during play and on the bench, and TP's is not good at all.
There was a play against penn state I think, whatever the game or maybe two games before Rutgers,, there was a dead ball, other team’s ball at their basket, baseline out of bounds. Perk was pouting about whatever, not getting the call or whatever, and didn’t even notice that play was resuming. So busy pouting. His guy cuts to basket as he’s pouting for a layup. I couldn’t believe Fran didn’t call timeout immediately to take him out. Surely at least one coach saw it as it happened.

Anyways, hope he finds his way out of it.

Early in the game you could hear on TV Connor get on Perkins saying “come on, TP…”

I didn’t see what it was about and didn’t rewind to see. IIRC, Michigan was on offense.

Great report -- thanks for taking the time to write it up. Couldn't agree more on how getting closer to the floor changes the appreciation level. I've gone to multiple NCAA tourneys (R1 and R2) and managed to weasel my way down to the first few rows as seats open up (sorry, I'm that guy). The athleticism is amazing. And the interactions between coaches and players is really fun.

Concerned with TP. Some players get more into the game when they are scoring. He's one of those guys. We will need him because he definitely has some junk yard dog in him when all is well.

Let's keep this thing going!

11,498 or 76% of capacity for a 6 PM game on a Thursday...

Also last night:

Minnesota at Ohio State 11,202 or 59% of capacity in a metro of 2.15 million...

Wednesday:

IU at PSU 8,502 or 56% of capacity

Rutgers at NW 5,274 or 75% of capacity in a metro of 9.4 million

Tuesday:

MSU at Wisconsin 14,260 or 82% of capacity Metro of 680,000

Illinois at Nebraska 12,756 or 85% of capacity Lincoln metro is 340,000 with Omaha at 1,000,000 45 minutes away...
No way that was 76%.

No way that was 76%.
From ESPN box score:

Iowa City, IA
Line: IOWA -5.0
Over/Under: 155.5
odds-attribution-caesars-dark.svg

Attendance: 11,498

76%
CAPACITY: 15,056
  • Referees:
  • Doug Simmons