ADVERTISEMENT

Just got my first check with the new tax laws.

beanerhawk

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2001
Nice to get a little extra in the pay check, anyone else's company make the change yet? About a 20% difference in federal taxes was the difference in mine.

Nice to get a little extra in the pay check, anyone else's company make the change yet? About a 20% difference in federal taxes was the difference in mine.

Is that money going to change your life, or otherwise make it easier on your family? How will you spend it?

I also am enjoying the additional pay.

I am pleased about the economy and where it seems to be headed.

At the same time I am concerned about the size of corporate tax cuts and how middle/poor Americans will be impacted by a growing deficit.

I'm also annoyed by the GOP for crediting the tax bill everytime something good happens.

I thought it was feb 1st when people notice it. oh well, maybe people who get paid twice a month or something, get it early

At the same time I am concerned about the size of corporate tax cuts and how middle/poor Americans will be impacted by a growing deficit.

I'm also annoyed by the GOP for crediting the tax bill everytime something good happens.
all tax cuts are a good thing.

Thank you for such a reasonable post, absolute rarity around here anymore.

If you plan to keep posting like this, get an avatar.

Thank you Mr Obama
Thank you Mr Polk
Thank you Mr Trump
Thank you FDR

Did I miss anyone?

20% less sounds right for someone making up to 38K per year. If you're making 90K it should be much less difference, around 14%.

No difference in my first paycheck. The charts say I'll see about $10 per pay period less.

They don't, and many people will get a not so welcome surprise when taxes are due in 2019 if they don't pay attention.

They are done

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/update...payers-could-see-paycheck-changes-by-february

But yes everyone needs to adjust allowances according to their own situation. But most won't. The tables don't know how old your kids are. I have a family of 5 and have claimed up to 18 allowances in the last decade because of the child tax credit, mortgage interest, etc. I am now down to 4 because of raises, children turning 17, less mortgage interest.

I just checked and I have no idea if they’ve adjusted the pay tables or not, but there was a slight difference from December to January. I’m a public employee so my wages are public record. In the second half of December my gross pay was 3228.90 with federal income taxes withheld of 593.68 for an effective federal withholding rate of 18.4%. For the first half of January my income was exactly the same and my withholding went up to 600.74 for an effective rate of 18.6%. I lost 6 bucks with the tax cut. I made no change to withholding for the new year.

Thanks Trump.

Note that I have now and always do claim zero dependents during the year. I have independent contractor and a second employer and if I claimed dependents, I would always have a big check to write every April.

Reactions: HKI
I just checked and I have no idea if they’ve adjusted the pay tables or not, but there was a slight difference from December to January. I’m a public employee so my wages are public record. In the second half of December my gross pay was 3228.90 with federal income taxes withheld of 593.68 for an effective federal withholding rate of 18.4%. For the first half of January my income was exactly the same and my withholding went up to 600.74 for an effective rate of 18.6%. I lost 6 bucks with the tax cut. I made no change to withholding for the new year.

Thanks Trump.

Note that I have now and always do claim zero dependents during the year. I have independent contractor and a second employer and if I claimed dependents, I would always have a big check to write every April.

Did your health insurance amount change? That would have an effect on the amount that is taxed. Money going to retirement would do the same.

Did your health insurance amount change? That would have an effect on the amount that is taxed. Money going to retirement would do the same.

That change wouldn’t happen until July. They only reset that once a year. Neither that or IPERS changed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT