ADVERTISEMENT

Just got my first check with the new tax laws.

I also am enjoying the additional pay.

I am pleased about the economy and where it seems to be headed.

At the same time I am concerned about the size of corporate tax cuts and how middle/poor Americans will be impacted by a growing deficit.

I'm also annoyed by the GOP for crediting the tax bill everytime something good happens.
Its not the GOP that is crediting the tax bill. Its the companies themselves. Even liberal ones like Apple. No matter what the Dems say that tax cut has been a good thing for the economy.

The country is getting a huge boost from a provision that both Democrats and Republicans have claimed to support for years but never got done until this bill: Repatriation of funds invested overseas.

BUILD A WALL! BUILD A WALL!

I don't see how the Federal government having 20% less revenue could be a problem for us at all down the road...
That problem is going no matter what.

We are not going to tax ourselves out of our budget mess because congress can’t stop spending regardless who is in power.

Default on debt is coming no matter what. Might as well keep more of my own money.

Its not the GOP that is crediting the tax bill. Its the companies themselves. Even liberal ones like Apple. No matter what the Dems say that tax cut has been a good thing for the economy.

Massive business decisions are not made in a matter of weeks. The companies are crediting the tax cut because it's a smart political play which could reap additional benefits for their business down the road (i.e. when they want a questionable merger approved, etc.)
Then they will call in that political favor.

Every economist said that, in the short term, the tax cut would boost the economy. The other question is what that boost will do to inflation and interest rates in the longer term, besides the increased deficits.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Nice to get a little extra in the pay check, anyone else's company make the change yet? About a 20% difference in federal taxes was the difference in mine.

FWIW, pay stubs went out here this morning at our business and several people were all smiles after looking at them and realizing what I would consider modest increases of $5 - $15 per week.

Kind of like the bizarro minimum wage argument the Donkeycrats always put forth. 15.00/hr minimum? Why not make it 75.00/hr. and everyone will be rich. See how that works?

See the bizarre argument in your statement is made by Republicans not Democrats. $75 an hour is an absurd amount stated only by Republicans who are too stupid to argument a legitimate question. On the other hand, a $15 an hour minimum wage is defensible as a starting point for a full time worker trying to support themselves.

See how that works, you attribute a stupid argument to Democrats when you were actually making it yourself. Sad.

Did your health insurance amount change? That would have an effect on the amount that is taxed. Money going to retirement would do the same.

Also consider that your take-home pay will go down at the beginning of the year if you had maxed out things like 401k, HSA or Social Security contributions before EOY. Once you hit max, those things stop being pulled out, but then you cross over January 1 and they start coming out again.

Reactions: cigaretteman
See the bizarre argument in your statement is made by Republicans not Democrats. $75 an hour is an absurd amount stated only by Republicans who are too stupid to argument a legitimate question. On the other hand, a $15 an hour minimum wage is defensible as a starting point for a full time worker trying to support themselves.

See how that works, you attribute a stupid argument to Democrats when you were actually making it yourself. Sad.
True, but there is a point in the mists....if $15 is good, why not $20? Or $25?

apple is so lib that rush Limbaugh happens to be a fan of their stuff and they refuse to acknowledge this fact at all. they could capitalize upon it. he even gives away free product to kind of poke at them. they still ignore it cause it is rush

The country is getting a huge boost from a provision that both Democrats and Republicans have claimed to support for years but never got done until this bill: Repatriation of funds invested overseas.

This is one of the biggest benefits of the corporate tax cuts. It reduces the incentive to put HQ other places and keep money locked up offshore. This is going to pay for itself easily, IMHO. It's one of the few things I liked in the tax bill.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
That problem is going no matter what.

We are not going to tax ourselves out of our budget mess because congress can’t stop spending regardless who is in power.

Default on debt is coming no matter what. Might as well keep more of my own money.

If we were to actually default on our debt, what value do you think that money you kept would actually have? I guess you could just spend it before we get there.

By the same token why not offer an even bigger tax break to corporations?

21%? Why didn't they do 5%?

This is the logic I never see discussed. All politicians just speak in hyperbole, taxes are ruining companies, lower taxes would give us all orgasms, etc. But clearly conservatives, especially ones who consider themselves of the fiscal variety, believe that taxes are necessary. The discussion always should be at what level, and to provide what services.

I don't see how the Federal government having 20% less revenue could be a problem for us at all down the road...

It won't matter...sitting at over 100% debt to GDP all we did was add a MPH or two to the vehicle as we are approaching the cliff. Hell this might give us a bit more glide time with the added speed.

Reactions: UKGrad93
Congrats!

Signed,
Your grandchildren who will pay the price
How cute.
Should I be blessed enough to have grandchildren one day I'll simply explain to them that Grandma and Grandpa still paid over 20% of our salary to the federal government, gave another 10% to charity each month, and set aside another 10% so their parents could go to college without acquiring huge debt. This doesn't include State local taxes, sales taxes, Social Security taxes Etc.
They'll be smart enough to be able to see Grandma and Grandpa lived a pretty modest lifestyle.
Then I will explain to them that if the federal government can't survive on the 20% they are getting from every working American then maybe they need to learn how to spend less.

Should I be blessed enough to have grandchildren one day I'll simply explain to them that Grandma and Grandpa still paid over 20% of our salary to the federal government,
If you are paying over 20% of your salary in federal taxes you must be making a pretty good salary!

How cute.
Should I be blessed enough to have grandchildren one day I'll simply explain to them that Grandma and Grandpa still paid over 20% of our salary to the federal government, gave another 10% to charity each month, and set aside another 10% so their parents could go to college without acquiring huge debt. This doesn't include State local taxes, sales taxes, Social Security taxes Etc.
They'll be smart enough to be able to see Grandma and Grandpa lived a pretty modest lifestyle.
Then I will explain to them that if the federal government can't survive on the 20% they are getting from every working American then maybe they need to learn how to spend less.

I'm sure that will bring great comfort when they are cold and hungry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT