ADVERTISEMENT

Just had a coworker passed away 2 hours ago

1 week and 2 hours ago? Sorry, I kid, inappropriate. T's n P's pepsi. Unless they hogged the company bathroom and ate all the cake on birthday days.

Well don't beat you self up over it, nothing you could've done about it.

Unless of course you shot him.

Die at work?? Rough

A couple months ago I had a co-worker die over the weekend. Not much is clear about what happened other then he went out riding his bike and was found on the side of the road.

You guys must have been close seeing as you took time out from your grieving to post to strangers about the departed. Anything we should know about this person?

Sorry to hear about it. It happened to me a few years back. While I was recovering from surgery to replace a bone in my hand which had actually worn out due to the machine I operated...my third shirt co-worker picked up the slack working overtime and died at work of a heart attack. By the time they found him there was no point in trying to revive him, he'd been dead too long.

We were at that time both under 55. That particular machine had a reputation as a man killer, and I guess it lived up to it.

sorry to hear that. may they rest in peace. Go home and hug the ones you love.
Nice to see a reasonable, respectable response. I realize the others are trying to be cute, but I'm pretty sure Pepsi doesn't need those remarks at a sad time.

Nice to see a reasonable, respectable response. I realize the others are trying to be cute, but I'm pretty sure Pepsi doesn't need those remarks at a sad time.

while i agree that that death of a friend or loved one can be a sad time, i have found that remembering all of the good and funny things that you shared together is the best way to remember them and deal with the loss. humor to me is a good coping mechanism for dealing with a sad events. i personally have had grandparents, uncles, cousins and friends pass away in the last few years and have memories of them pop into my head almost every day, however all of those memories are of good/funny times. as a person grows older they had better find away to cope with the death of people around them or they need to be the first to die.
this is just from my personal observance at funerals/visitations, that older people seem to cry a lot less than younger people. i am guessing that it is because they have become used to death and have accepted it as a fact of life.

63? Well hell he was older than dirt anyway. Was living on borrowed time
Just what Obama and the Libs want. Work and pay Taxes all your life. Then die early before you draw any of your Social Security. Not an Entitlement!

I was worried that this thread wouldn't turn political.

and i felt some what bad for trying to inject some humor into a sad situation and not everyone appreciating it. i cant imagine how big of a jackass the guy that tried to bring potus politics into it feels.

Sorry to hear about it. It happened to me a few years back. While I was recovering from surgery to replace a bone in my hand which had actually worn out due to the machine I operated...my third shirt co-worker picked up the slack working overtime and died at work of a heart attack. By the time they found him there was no point in trying to revive him, he'd been dead too long.

We were at that time both under 55. That particular machine had a reputation as a man killer, and I guess it lived up to it.
So he was doing your work and died from it? Damn, do you feel guilty?

Just what Obama and the Libs want. Work and pay Taxes all your life. Then die early before you draw any of your Social Security. Not an Entitlement!
We were having a perfectly good thread about somebody dying and you just had to go and be a Debbie Downer and bring politics into.

Pepsi has been here long enough to know exactly what kind of responses he was going to get.

The good thing about it happening at work is HR has confirmation right away so they can get the job posted quickly. Hopefully it's up today.

I have had two uncles drop dead at work of heart attacks. My uncle Tom was an engineer and died at work at 59. My uncle Steve was a teacher and dropped dead at 58.. Luckily, I guess, it was a day when just teachers were there. It was the week before school started. That was actually going to be his last year. They were both my dad's brothers.....Good news is my dad is 65 and retired.

Dang!

I'm curious what kind of machine that if doesn't first wear your bone out ... it'll kill ya?

Seriously.

Dang!

I'm curious what kind of machine that if doesn't first wear your bone out ... it'll kill ya?

Seriously.

th
This one is similar.
You take a part that is between 250 and 800 (depending, more than one setup) pounds and use a hoist to put it in the machine. Then it spins around and the machine does all the work for you. You run two of these at once and if you are not screwing around it keeps you busy. What got my hand was there were twenty year newer measuring devices which kept the machine from accidentally taking too much off the part. It wasn't the big parts, but the little ones. The measuring stuff was sensitive and one had to jimmy the parts in and out of the clamp without touching them. Think, a huge game of "Operation" with a 250 pound set of tweezers that yeah..the hoist held it up, but you had to twist it back and forth as you lowered it in or lifted it up. Wasn't really meant to work that way, but you know, if it makes parts.

Want to know what it felt like? Take a crowbar by one end and use just your wrist to raise it up horizontally to hip height, then lower it back down. Do that a bunch of times. When it starts hurting take a bunch of Ibuprofen the Factory Doc gives you for what he calls tendinitis and keep going. I had already complained the very week I started on the machine, and an engineering outfit was hired to come in and they were redesigning the measuring stuff to fit right. Took them about eight months. Wore the bottom bone between my wrist and thumb out in six. At least nobody else will have that happen.

My own fault for working too hard, wore out my hand. They kept promising promotions until I got hurt. I'm an idiot.

Third shift guys own fault for working too much, had a heart attack. He was a greedy for overtime idiot.

I'm not kidding...our problems were we were idiots. A lot of guys work a whole career and come out pretty crippled up but retired until they get cancer early and die.

Dan, that reminded me of the scene in Office Space where the guy in the wheel chair tells the other guys not to get too down, because hey, "look at me"...

Dan, that reminded me of the scene in Office Space where the guy in the wheel chair tells the other guys not to get too down, because hey, "look at me"...

LOL. Take a look at the blue wheel in the picture. That's the grinding wheel. All that grey stuff is the metal dust accumulated on it. Run a grinder like this and then go to get an MRI and they will make you get an X-Ray of your eyes first. Guys can get little bits of metal dust too small to notice floating around in the back of their eyeballs...then when the MRI gets turned on if they haven't been checked out first.....(I wonder how they first figured that out)

Here's another good machine:

th
I don't even remember the exact name, Isotropic yada...an industrial vibrating shaker. Imagine about five of these the size of half a VW Beetle, all mounted on a metal platform. They get filled with these really hard "Chiclet's Gum" sized ceramics called "media", toss in some chemicals and metal parts. Then you turn it on.

You get to feel what those little toy football guys felt like playing "Electric Football" on a vibrating metal field! Kind of tickles at first but you'd better have good fillings in your teeth. I always wondered what long term effects of constant shaking would be. But nobody ever ran these things for very long.

LOL. Take a look at the blue wheel in the picture. That's the grinding wheel. All that grey stuff is the metal dust accumulated on it. Run a grinder like this and then go to get an MRI and they will make you get an X-Ray of your eyes first. Guys can get little bits of metal dust too small to notice floating around in the back of their eyeballs...then when the MRI gets turned on if they haven't been checked out first.....(I wonder how they first figured that out)

Here's another good machine:

th
I don't even remember the exact name, Isotropic yada...an industrial vibrating shaker. Imagine about five of these the size of half a VW Beetle, all mounted on a metal platform. They get filled with these really hard "Chiclet's Gum" sized ceramics called "media", toss in some chemicals and metal parts. Then you turn it on.

You get to feel what those little toy football guys felt like playing "Electric Football" on a vibrating metal field! Kind of tickles at first but you'd better have good fillings in your teeth. I always wondered what long term effects of constant shaking would be. But nobody ever ran these things for very long.
Seen those at aluminum casting foundrys to remove the rough edges and flash. And yeah, it was always the new guys running them - "Been here a month" was the usual response, which is always a great indicator to check his training records.

I've never felt safe on a foundry floor, even in some of the nicer onces in Wisconsin and Indiana. The ones in the US are light-years ahead of those in the Far East, and haven't been to one in Russia yet.

I was at a new job for about 3 months when the owner died. He had cancer but it was sudden and not expected that soon. Dude was a crotchety old douche who insisted on smoking in the offices and berated and belittled everyone. He kept the offices at about 85 degrees because he was cold, yet I never saw him in a sweater, sweatshirt, or jacket. I could go on and on...

I had to put forth an academy award worthy performance just to keep a solemn demeanor. Everyone else was so sad and were saying untrue nice things about the guy. I got high as a kite before the funeral. During the entire mass I was admiring and daydreaming about the receptionist's ass in the pew in front of me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT