ADVERTISEMENT

Just in case, I am curious

Dec 29, 2005
Tyler Cook is playing. He is playing fans, the PTL, his team mates and the world.

He knows that the PTL does not matter and preparing for the Big Ten, March Madness and the NBA.

If C Will can over come the hip flexer, relax, drive to the hoop and shoot freely... he will be fine. (btw I still stand by my words, he is FIRST TEAM ALL BIG TEN DEFENSIVE PLAYER)

Ahmad Wagner can play the 3 if he develops any sort of a jump shot. At the same time I can only hope he walks on to the Iowa football team. He would have two years to develop. He has a much better chance to ply in the NFL than the NBA.

Hoping Cordell completely recovers from his injuries and other health issues. Not an original thought but it could work out for everyone if he red shirts this season?

We all have no clue about incoming frosh.. Nunge, Luka and whatever happened to Conner?

Finally, my Sixth POINT (6) Please allow for Nick to come off the bench. He will go from the best 6th man in the Big Ten to the best 6th Man in America

Any thoughts?

152 Ngnosis hwk scence, Today at 9:25 AM
Edit Delete Report
+ Quote Reply
Page 4 of 4
< Prev 1 2 3 4
Back to Threads/Forum

Write your reply...

Share This Page

Ngnosis hwk scence

g9w1wh9jn8o0vwpx19or

Trending Articles On HawkeyeReport.com

Share This Page

Ahmad Wagner can play the 3 if he develops any sort of a jump shot. At the same time I can only hope he walks on to the Iowa football team. He would have two years to develop. He has a much better chance to ply in the NFL than the NBA.

This whacky idea needs to be buried once and for all for several reasons:

First, Ahmad Wagner last played competitive football more than 2 1/2 years ago. His abbreviated high school football career ended in the Fall of 2014 and he has not played one down of organized football since.

Second, assuming he would play TE or WR, he would need to compete for playing time with at least 6-7 current roster players at his position no matter which position he chose - all of whom have more football experience, most of whom are also skilled, some of whom are highly skilled and highly recruited.

Third, it is sort of silly to believe that more than two years into his college basketball career (a majority of last year as a starter), Wagner would be inclined to relinquish a fully funded basketball scholarship in exchange for a long-shot-pay-your-own-way chance to some day play college football .... one or two years from now.

Finally (and most importantly), maybe Ahmad Wagner wants to play basketball. I could have missed it but has Ahmad ever indicated or even joked about switching to football once since he has been enrolled at Iowa?

I mean .... here he is playing Summer PTL, working out with the team, practicing and getting ready to take a basketball trip overseas before his junior season and still even now people are talking about Wagner switching to play football.

It aint happening.

First, Ahmad Wagner last played competitive football more than 2 1/2 years ago. His abbreviated high school football career ended in the Fall of 2014 and he has not played one down of organized football since.

Second, assuming he would play TE or WR, he would need to compete for playing time with at least 6-7 current roster players at his position no matter which position he chose - all of whom have more football experience, most of whom are also skilled, some of whom are highly skilled and highly recruited.

Third, it is sort of silly to believe that more than two years into his college basketball career (a majority of last year as a starter), Wagner would be inclined to relinquish a fully funded basketball scholarship in exchange for a long-shot-pay-your-own-way chance to some day play college football .... one or two years from now.

Finally (and most importantly), maybe Ahmad Wagner wants to play basketball. I could have missed it but has Ahmad ever indicated or even joked about switching to football once since he has been enrolled at Iowa?

I mean .... here he is playing Summer PTL, working out with the team, practicing and getting ready to take a basketball trip overseas before his junior season and still even now people are talking about Wagner switching to play football.

It aint happening.
Two words...jimmy 'freaking' graham. Freaking does count in the Angerer vocab

Two words...jimmy 'freaking' graham. Freaking does count in the Angerer vocab

Antonio Gates and Demetrius Harris also went straight from college basketball to the nfl.

Julius Thomas was a 4 year basketball player who played one year of college football, then went to nfl.

It aint happening.

2 1/2 years isn't that big of a deal for someone who has the talent to do it.

Iowa doesn't recruit well at the receiver position and basically has one guy at the position going into this year. Vandeburg.

Obviously hes not going to give up a scholarship. Im not sure where that thought came from. One of the two sports would have to supply him with a scholarship.

I believe he said when he was recruited he would be open to the idea of playing both sports.

Hes likely to see a diminishing role in basketball, its definitely something he should consider.

Wagner would be a TE if he chose to play football, correct? I think that's one position Iowa has got covered pretty well for the foreseeable future.

I've said this plenty of times before but Wagner is an invaluable contributor off the bench. He is a great athlete who can rebound and defend. Every team needs role players like that. I think some fans emphasize high-volume scoring too much when assessing a player's worth. The fact is some times you really can have too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. Wagner is an asset to the Iowa basketball team and I hope more fans come to view him as such.

I believe he said when he was recruited he would be open to the idea of playing both sports.

Dual football and basketball - that is just not going to happen. Decades ago a few exceptional D1 athletes could pull it off but nowadays with longer seasons, mandatory off-season conditioning programs, and the evolution of both sports (not to mention the athleticism) you have to choose one or the other.

I suppose a football player could make a cameo or two in basketball (or vice-versa) but I'm talking legit dual sport participation - not happening, its virtually impossible nowadays.

Reactions: DanL53
Dual football and basketball - that is just not going to happen. Decades ago a few exceptional D1 athletes could pull it off but nowadays with longer seasons, mandatory off-season conditioning programs, and the evolution of both sports (not to mention the athleticism) you have to choose one or the other.

I suppose a football player could make a cameo or two in basketball (or vice-versa) but I'm talking legit dual sport participation - not happening, its virtually impossible nowadays.

The two have run the same time frames for many decades. You would have to make football the priority.

If Wagners role decreases this year from an already small one last year it may be something he should look into.

Wagner would be a TE if he chose to play football, correct? I think that's one position Iowa has got covered pretty well for the foreseeable future.

I've said this plenty of times before but Wagner is an invaluable contributor off the bench. He is a great athlete who can rebound and defend. Every team needs role players like that. I think some fans emphasize high-volume scoring too much when assessing a player's worth. The fact is some times you really can have too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. Wagner is an asset to the Iowa basketball team and I hope more fans come to view him as such.

I think he has the athleticism to be a receiver in the Mike Evans mold.

I think people understand that he brings good things to the court but hes a tweener without much of a jumper and there just may not be much time available with all the good bigs Fran has recruited.

Gotta agree with RnR. I think he has the talent to do it. Hawks will go into the season at receiver with only 1 player that has caught a D1 football and only two players that have caught a ball since HS. That puts the lost ground argument in a little better perspective.

Imagine him running out of the slot or the Z, especially on medium yardage downs. AW would be huge and more than sufficiently fast for those positions. The new OC might have some Belichick in him. Strikes me as a bright kid that could make up for a lot of lost time. Especially with a new staff and inexperienced competition at the position.

Probably won't happen but its not a crazy idea. He must like basketball more. The Baer, Bo and AW are my three favorite players. How do you not love a guy that plays as hard, smart heads up ball even if his skill level has appeared somewhat limited thus far. If he develops into a viable three he and Baer will rain 40 minutes of hell at that spot.

Yes he did but he can always reevaluate.

Well, a football fan can always dream. ;) As far as I can tell he's working his tail off to earn minutes on the court. He's already a junior. Perhaps, just perhaps, NEXT year he will try football. But I'll bet a bucket of chicken and a beer that he will either play basketball at Iowa, or somewhere else, before he ever puts pads on again.

Despite the fact that Iowa's WR group is really subpar(and that's being generous), it would be incredibly difficult for Wagner to contribute after such a long time away.
It's not as if he was a multi-year football superstar in HS. He had a single breakout season his senior year.
Also, as noted, TE is pretty well covered.
He would have had a good chance to help the football team if he would have started with them from the time he arrived on campus. I just don't see that happening now.

Reactions: nu2u
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT