ADVERTISEMENT

Just lost someone we knew and loved to Covid-19

kc78

HR All-American
Nov 25, 2002
Pensacola, FL
Last night was a very sad night. My wife works at a local middle school, the same one that my son attends. We found out last night that one of the teachers there, one my wife was good friends with, and who had been a heavy influence in my son's life died from Covid-19. He was only 43 and in good health.

It was really hard sitting and watching both of them hurt as they grieved a stupid senseless loss that could probably have been avoided if our political leaders in the US and Florida were not idiots.

Wear your damn masks and try to save a life.

This sucks. He was such a good guy.

Very sad story and should open the eyes of some deniers.

Sadly this teacher won't be the only one in the new yearbook section called "Those we lost in 2020".

Last night was a very sad night. My wife works at a local middle school, the same one that my son attends. We found out last night that one of the teachers there, one my wife was good friends with, and who had been a heavy influence in my son's life died from Covid-19. He was only 43 and in good health.

It was really hard sitting and watching both of them hurt as they grieved a stupid senseless loss that could probably have been avoided if our political leaders in the US and Florida were not idiots.

Sorry to hear this. Thank you for sharing this story ... and as you said: "Wear your damn masks ..."

I'll never understand why some choose to ignore this very simple step that takes all of 5 seconds to enact ...

This shit can happen to anyone, and there are different levels of the virus and every single body/person can have a different reaction to the virus ...

My other half is a registered nurse. And so I have that daily reminder on the importance of wearing a mask. Don't make it political ... Just put the damn thing on as a gesture to protect you and others ... It's really that simple.

So sorry for your loss. A good friend and neighbor lost her dad yesterday to COVID. He was older and less healthy, but he was one who bought into all the anti-hype. This thing was a hoax, he didn't need precautions, etc.

Wear your damn masks. Even if you don't care that much about humanity, we all have "nice things" that we want to have go on - sports, theater, concerts, bars, full restaurants, travel, etc.....Do what you need to do to get those things back.

Thank you for sharing and so sad to hear this. Wear a ****ing mask people!!!

I am so sorry to hear this. This is really starting to hit home for a lot of people in my sphere as well. Way more than in March - May where I hardly knew anybody who had someone in trouble/deceased.

Reactions: goldmom
It sounds like your community lost someone special. My condolences. My brother let me know that he and his family had the virus. It was very hard on him and my SIL almost went to the ER. It's a very strange virus.

So sorry your family is dealing with this.

Douglas County Health Department had a meeting this morning to decide on a mask mandate (it passed) and during the open comments session all of the Facebook doctors came out in force. One idiot was crying because she was so upset that they might make her wear a mask and the horrible harm it would do to her children. Another moron said they should just tell people to take their vitamins. One of the board members pointed out that vitamins are expensive and many in his district struggle putting food on the table let alone a bunch of vitamins. It was glorious watching the actual experts shred these people’s arguments once they were done.

Douglas County Health Department had a meeting this morning to decide on a mask mandate (it passed) and during the open comments session all of the Facebook doctors came out in force. One idiot was crying because she was so upset that they might make her wear a mask and the horrible harm it would do to her children. Another moron said they should just tell people to take their vitamins. One of the board members pointed out that vitamins are expensive and many in his district struggle putting food on the table let alone a bunch of vitamins. It was glorious watching the actual experts shred these people’s arguments once they were done.
Facebook Doctors. I gotta use that line tomorrow. Thanks.

Terrible news, but it’s a reminder of how serious this is. Hopefully your son in time can overcome the loss and take value and comfort in the positive impact to his life.
I wish the people who post in every other Covid thread, but are silent in this one, will take it to heart.

Sorry for your loss. It sucks when people lose anyone they care about for any reason. COVID, drug or alcohol use. heart disease, suicide, on and on.....

I also don’t think using his loss to make any point at all about current leadership or tour politics honors his memory. But you know him I don’t so I leave that for you to decide.

This whole virus sucks. Plain and simple and we ALL need to do better.

Reactions: herk90 and goldmom
Sorry for your loss. It sucks when people lose anyone they care about for any reason. COVID, drug or alcohol use. heart disease, suicide, on and on.....

I also don’t think using his loss to make any point at all about current leadership or tour politics honors his memory. But you know him I don’t so I leave that for you to decide.

You are such a giant ass.

Of course not.

Maybe you can lead us in doing better?

:rolleyes:

We had a back and forth on Next Door about masks. One anti-masking woman wanted to get the virus now, during the summer, while her vitamin D levels were high from the sun. The rest tried to convince her she might spread it to someone who’s vulnerable. She thought they’d be better off getting it now because she didn’t believe in the vaccine.

Last edited:
Reactions: noleclone2

How about the fact that we are one of the ten worst countries in the world measured on a Covid deaths per 100,000 population. And our death are climbing again while other first world countries have things under control. Can we hold that against our leadership?

All they had to do is collectively encourage mask wearing, encourage social distancing and open up a few weeks later using the guidelines and we would have curves that look like most of Europe.

Instead our leaders rushed opening, failed to lead by example on mask wearing, failed to make a strong point on social distancing and did plenty to normalize and even encourage gatherings - whether that be going out as if things were perfectly normal or the protests (on both sides of the aisle).

It starts with Trump who has given us a perfect example of how leadership should not behave in a crisis, but there is plenty to question for leaders across the political spectrum when it comes to how we are handling the pandemic.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

No one is dumber than people who comment on the World Herald and our local network news stations’ Facebook pages. Just shockingly stupid people coming out of the woodwork. I have a cousin who posts about all his “research” and how Covid is a hoax. I jog by the Dundee Cork and Bottle almost every evening and there’s always a full crowd of massless people all crammed in on their patio area and it just blows my mind. Like, your Bud Light doesn’t make you invincible, bro. I refer to these people as “plague rats.” Anyway, sorry for the rant. Just feels like if it’s the right and smart thing to do, Omahans will aggressively oppose it.

Last edited:
All they had to do is collectively encourage mask wearing, encourage social distancing and open up a few weeks later using the guidelines and we would have curves that look like most of Europe.

Screen%20Shot%202020-07-27%20at%207.14.50%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202020-07-27%20at%207.14.59%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202020-07-27%20at%207.14.20%20PM.png

Reactions: shank hawk
Note Sweden’s deaths per 100,000 people and CFR. Compare it to Sweden’s peers like Norway.

Further, what on earth does Sweden have to do with us? Different comorbidity levels, different population densities, etc. We have to manage for the reality in our country.

I am not arguing shut it all down again - that is a separate topic. I am saying we screwed up the opening. The retrospective data is pretty clear on our performance.

How nice, you can use this response for more than just school shootings.

Reactions: Joes Place

:(

Note Sweden’s deaths per 100,000 people and CFR. Compare it to Sweden’s peers like Norway.

Further, what on earth does Sweden have to do with us? Different comorbidity levels, different population densities, etc. We have to manage for the reality in our country.

I am not arguing shut it all down again - that is a separate topic. I am saying we screwed up the opening. The retrospective data is pretty clear on our performance.

Yup.

Swedes voluntarily self-isolated, and limited social activities. MUCH moreso than we have. Yet, they are still dead last among their Nordic peers on this, and nowhere near "herd immunity".

Still TBD on the co-morbidities they will incur among their population.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
Yet, they are still dead last among their Nordic peers on this

They’re upfront they failed to properly protect their nursing homes at the outset. And months ago I read an article that contrasted their nursing home setup vis a vis those ‘Nordic peers’. Essentially, that they operate very large nursing facilities whereas Finland, for example, has more of a ‘group home’ setup with only a few patients per location.

But I think that’s no reason to ignore how they otherwise approached the situation.

and nowhere near "herd immunity"

So what is happening?

SwedishCovidMW-600x510.png

Sorry to hear this, our country is in for some troubled times in the coming months as thousands of households (including mine; 3 kids and wife is a HS counselor) will be suffering through massive C19 outbreaks bc of the reopening of schools. I weep for what is about to happen to our country in regards to this illness yet the cult of Trump just cheers it on, effing dipshits. :(

Reactions: Joes Place
Was he wearing a mask? Was he choosing to be around others that weren't wearing masks? Is there some sort of tracing going on that you can put blame on the anonymous maskless person?

Was he wearing a mask? Was he choosing to be around others that weren't wearing masks? Is there some sort of tracing going on that you can put blame on the anonymous maskless person?

Where I live, almost nobody wears masks. It's been an uphill battle in the middle of Trumpville where everyone's been denying that this is even real. Our mayor put in a mask order, the town revolted, and the city commission overturned her 6-0. Contact tracing here is going to be almost impossible.

Reactions: noleclone2
ADVERTISEMENT