ADVERTISEMENT

Just read the BF Presser

Dec 15, 2021
After reading thru that garbage it cements My feelings I have had since early last Season , He needs to go. He had the chance when asked by the Reporter about QB change to be a Man , instead He vomited up Kirks standard answers, If Spencer Petras gives Iowa the best chance to win then no QB presently on the Roster should have the 2023 scholarship renewed and whoever is remotely involved in QB recruiting needs to be fired on the spot , total acknowledgment of bad recruiting and Coaching if Spencer Petras really does give Iowa the best chance to win because He is by any metric the worst P5 QB in America , well We all got Our answer so prepare for 6 more Games of more of the same and continued further Seasons of attrocious Offensive production . I will give the Iowa beat Reporters credit, they finally found they had testicles and asked the correct questions so good on Them for that.

Why any non-starting quarterback or quarterback recruit would want to play for the Ferentz’s baffles me. As an offensive coordinator, he is well below average and he is failing as a quarterback coach for 1) coaching the lowest ranked qb in the conference and 2) not preparing any other qb on the roster to compete against the lowest rated qb. If they had any sense, they would leave the program immediately.

Why any non-starting quarterback or quarterback recruit would want to play for the Ferentz’s baffles me. As an offensive coordinator, he is well below average and he is failing as a quarterback coach for 1) coaching the lowest ranked qb in the conference and 2) not preparing any other qb on the roster to compete against the lowest rated qb. If they had any sense, they would leave the program immediately.
if peyton manning couldn't help petras become even 1% better, you really can't blame brian for petras lack of development. For everything else though....:)

For the most part, these press conferences are stale and predictable. Might as well send a robot out there and just have KF press a canned answer by remote control. I'll tune again in when a local reporter confronts the multi-millionaires with tough follow-up questions. Maybe a national sports reporter will show up one of these days. Somebody invite Triump the Insult Comedy Dog to shake things up a little.

After hearing Brian’s response to the question, about Alex Padilla being given a shot to play, I wouldn’t be surprised if this doesn’t kick off year two of a QB hitting the portal after a Ferentz downplayed their ability to compete and give Iowa any chance at winning to the media…

Even at the end of last year AP was given the opportunity to get some pretty decent time in.. But with the regression of QB’s in KF and Co. system maybe he took an enormous step in the wrong direction to where he gets none. Idk…..

After reading thru that garbage it cements My feelings I have had since early last Season , He needs to go. He had the chance when asked by the Reporter about QB change to be a Man , instead He vomited up Kirks standard answers, If Spencer Petras gives Iowa the best chance to win then no QB presently on the Roster should have the 2023 scholarship renewed and whoever is remotely involved in QB recruiting needs to be fired on the spot , total acknowledgment of bad recruiting and Coaching if Spencer Petras really does give Iowa the best chance to win because He is by any metric the worst P5 QB in America , well We all got Our answer so prepare for 6 more Games of more of the same and continued further Seasons of attrocious Offensive production . I will give the Iowa beat Reporters credit, they finally found they had testicles and asked the correct questions so good on Them for that.
Hey tool let me tell you something, He was overruled by the head man who the QB will be. Now what do you have to say now?

Agreed, but junior needs to stand up for what he believes and force KF's hand on running the offense.
How do you know he isn't standing up for what he believes? The place to do that is in a coaches meeting or one-on-one conversation, not a press conference. (Assuming, of course, you want to keep your job and maintain a good relationship.)

Reactions: IAGuy
I just don’t understand the timing and placement part he’s referencing. Dude, in no time or place is the QB supposed to overthrow a guy or throw it in the dirt… is our defense not trying at practice? How can the coaches not see that games don’t match what practice is showing in this example.

Petras throws very few interceptions. Gives the defense a chance
BF is trying to implement the New England offense when Tom Brady was at QB. Only problem is, Tom Brady isn't the QB. The offense is designed for the QB to make pre-snap reads and get the ball out quick to the one receiver that is supposed to be open based on the pre-snap read. That offense is asking a college QB to do too much from a mental standpoint. And therefore, Iowa has turned their QBs into robots who malfunction when things don' go as programmed.

How do you know he isn't standing up for what he believes? The place to do that is in a coaches meeting or one-on-one conversation, not a press conference. (Assuming, of course, you want to keep your job and maintain a good relationship.)
Was not referring to the press conference as the place or any public place. But if he wants to be his own man he needs to have a very candid discussion with his boss/Dad. Not to mention how do you know he has had that conversation?

Last edited:
Was not referring to the press conference as the place or any public place. But if he wants to be his own man he needs to have a very candid discussion with his boss/Dad. Not to mention how do you know he has had that conversation?

I am not a Brian fan but even Kirk said that the decison to keep Spencer as the QB was not a unanimous decison by the staff but he made the decision to stay with him.

I had a feeling that meant Brian at the time but believe it even more now.

I am not a Brian fan but even Kirk said that the decison to keep Spencer as the QB was not a unanimous decison by the staff but he made the decision to stay with him.

I had a feeling that meant Brian at the time but believe it even more now.
That is what KF stated but we really do not know (and never will) if true or KF covering for BF. Either way it says a lot about both of them IMO.

I didn't like his answer to timing on pass plays. QB offense is combination of passing and rushing yards and he totally ignored the later. Other teams have QB's who gain a lot of yards on the ground. When is the last game Petras did not have negative rushing yards?

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
Petras throws very few interceptions. Gives the defense a chance
Really? Why not blame the defense for being so good it hurts the offense? We don't score points. That's what offenses are supposed to do. We can make excuses to defend the boneheaded decisions to do the same thing over and over or... Gasp... Try something new since our current approach does not work. Clearly the low interception number isn't the right success metric based on our offensive performance and win loss record.

Side note: Stanley threw a lot more INTs, but also thew a lot more TDs and did pretty well. He won a lot of games (and lost some dumb ones too) Remember that time he threw 6 TDs in a game? And a few others where he threw 5? And a few more yet where he threw 4? How many does SP have again? 🤔

Perhaps the most alarming thing for me is that Brian essentially stated they don't want a quarterback to move around and improvise.

Yeah we don’t want a Russell Wilson type QB. Look what that bum did for Wisconsin. Led them to an outright Big Ten Title. Who wants something like that anyways?

17/24 187 Yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs in Championship game.

Too sexy.

Perhaps the most alarming thing for me is that Brian essentially stated they don't want a quarterback to move around and improvise.

I read that more as "if the play breaks down and turns into scrambling/improvising, I don't trust Padilla"

That is what KF stated but we really do not know (and never will) if true or KF covering for BF. Either way it says a lot about both of them IMO.

This comment was made leading into the Nevada game. I did forget to mention that. I feel like it is more of a Kirk move to not switch a starter.

Also, forgot the thing that irked me the most. When he started talking about the offensive line and their struggles, how some were not ready for this, all I could think is that's on the WHOLE STAFF for not getting guys in the portal.

You already know what's coming now.. we have guys next year that are another year developed and will be more prepared. Didn't feel like we needed to go to the portal.

you dont just boot players off their scholly if they dont perform. that would kill us even more long term.

i will say the fact kf knew petras was supposedly our best qb, and did NOT get one in the portal(same with OL) clearly shows he's incapable of being a good HC in modern cfb!
That sums it up — college football landscape has changed. Given the lack of accountability anymore for Kirk, he didn’t see any need to adjust. This year it caught up to the program, but an entitled 67 year old head coach has no incentive to change.

Toughest job in Iowa right now: Recruiting a WR for the Hawks!
I swear they don't even try....you can find FCS or JC WR transfers that can run a 40 without a sundial....big young black men with speed and athleticism scare Ferments.....our WR corp is also 131 of 131.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Also, forgot the thing that irked me the most. When he started talking about the offensive line and their struggles, how some were not ready for this, all I could think is that's on the WHOLE STAFF for not getting guys in the portal.

You already know what's coming now.. we have guys next year that are another year developed and will be more prepared. Didn't feel like we needed to go to the portal.
I could be wrong, but I want to say that the Illini went out and got a bunch of 4/5 star OL men through the portal a year back or so….it seems that move is paying dividends this season.😎

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT