ADVERTISEMENT

Just read the BF Presser

I read that more as "if the play breaks down and turns into scrambling/improvising, I don't trust Padilla"
The thing I don't get is a 3 and out pretty much is a turnover minus the field position.
In reality we are turning the ball over anyway almost every series.
Plus, we actually turn the ball over sometimes.

Last edited:
The thing I don't get is a 3 and out pretty much is a turnover minus the field position.
In reality we are turning the ball over anyway almoat every series.
Plus, we actually turn the ball over sometimes.
There is no logic with Brian or Kirk. They are getting called out which should have been done a long time ago. Glad to see national media is finally mocking them to get some traction. No adjustments whatsoever is asinine.

BF is the OC and QB coach.

Right now we are dead last in offense in college football and Spencer Petras is dead last in QBR rating in college football.

During his press conference he said that Padilla is not good enough to over take Petras at this point and Joey Labas has not closed the gap since this fall practice.

What a freaking horrible job he has done to this point for both jobs. You almost can't do any worse than that.

you dont just boot players off their scholly if they dont perform. that would kill us even more long term.

i will say the fact kf knew petras was supposedly our best qb, and did NOT get one in the portal(same with OL) clearly shows he's incapable of being a good HC in modern cfb!
It's my understanding the B1G actually does not allow this.

"Scholarships will be "neither reduced nor cancelled" as long as athletes maintain good standing in school, within the athletic department and in the community. If athletes leave school for "a bona fide reason," they will be allowed to return at a later date to complete their degrees on scholarship."

Really? Why not blame the defense for being so good it hurts the offense? We don't score points. That's what offenses are supposed to do. We can make excuses to defend the boneheaded decisions to do the same thing over and over or... Gasp... Try something new since our current approach does not work. Clearly the low interception number isn't the right success metric based on our offensive performance and win loss record.

Side note: Stanley threw a lot more INTs, but also thew a lot more TDs and did pretty well. He won a lot of games (and lost some dumb ones too) Remember that time he threw 6 TDs in a game? And a few others where he threw 5? And a few more yet where he threw 4? How many does SP have again? 🤔
No doubt there need to be some new things, but regarding your side note, Stanley's OC was Brian.

It's my understanding the B1G actually does not allow this.

"Scholarships will be "neither reduced nor cancelled" as long as athletes maintain good standing in school, within the athletic department and in the community. If athletes leave school for "a bona fide reason," they will be allowed to return at a later date to complete their degrees on scholarship."
might just be 5th year players. i know jimmy was allowed to boot some 5th year players at mi.

How do you know he isn't standing up for what he believes? The place to do that is in a coaches meeting or one-on-one conversation, not a press conference. (Assuming, of course, you want to keep your job and maintain a good relationship.)
The proof is right in front of you. Brian is still here but nothing has changed. A strong OC would have said
" I 'm the OC, I want to change QB's, if not, I'm out of here". Brian doesn't have the nads to stand up for his beliefs.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
The proof is right in front of you. Brian is still here but nothing has changed. A strong OC would have said
" I 'm the OC, I want to change QB's, if not, I'm out of here". Brian doesn't have the nads to stand up for his beliefs.
Standing up for your position isn’t equivalent to giving an ultimatum. It’s not like he’s being asked to violate a deeply held value or religious conviction.

We simply don’t know what’s going on behind closed doors.

LSU under Les Miles used to take guys off scholarship, give it to a freshman, and not tell them. The practice was called oversigning. The most scummy part was he tried to blame the guy who had no idea he didn't have a scholarship when he transferred saying "I hoped he'd come back and compete for the job". A lot of teams did it but les was the worst culprit.

I could be wrong, but I want to say that the Illini went out and got a bunch of 4/5 star OL men through the portal a year back or so….it seems that move is paying dividends this season.😎

You would be wrong,.. 4 & 5 star players don't heavily populate the portal, so finding a "bunch" would be rare, and convincing them to transfer to Illinois, practically a fairy tale.

You would be wrong,.. 4 & 5 star players don't heavily populate the portal, so finding a "bunch" would be rare, and convincing them to transfer to Illinois, practically a fairy tale.
I will do some fact checking, but pretty sure I am right - I think it was pre CoVid, so maybe 3 years ago. My original thought was WTF as well - one kid was from USC. It definitely did not pass the smell test. Hoping a Illini poster is lurking to back me up…

LSU under Les Miles used to take guys off scholarship, give it to a freshman, and not tell them. The practice was called oversigning. The most scummy part was he tried to blame the guy who had no idea he didn't have a scholarship when he transferred saying "I hoped he'd come back and compete for the job". A lot of teams did it but les was the worst culprit.
That is pretty gross, I surely want to win but not with those type of practices.

Oluwole Betiku - former 5 star from SC that transferred to Champaign. I know there were a couple others, just can't find the article that listed them.

For your reading pleasure:

It is not an uncommon practice for coaches to send letters out to returning Sr./ 5th year Sr. players who have not seen a lot of playing time, low on the depth chart, saying something to the effect "you are welcome to report to camp, but we will be giving younger players at your position more reps ...a closer look...I better chance to advance" or something like that. The newer the coach, the more likely these letters are sent out to players they did not recruit. A tough message, but fair and honest.

That said, young players, perhaps 2s and lower, with little success in establishing themselves as starters, 2 or 3 years left, especially on teams with new coaches, seem to be the best options in the portal. Iowa has had good luck with a couple of transfer O-Linemen and D-linemen recently. Younger All-Conference MAC players, Big 12 players ll seem like fertile ground. Especially, players who we had recruited, and offered but lost to other schools. An exciting time, with second chances all around.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT