ADVERTISEMENT

Justice Dept. appeals judge’s order for a Mar-a-Lago special master

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The Justice Department said it would appeal a federal judge’s decision to appoint a special master to sift through thousands of documents the FBI seized from Donald Trump’s Florida residence on Aug. 8, according to a Thursday court filing.

The notice of appeal arrived three days after Judge Aileen M. Cannon ruled in favor of Trump and said she would appoint a special master, slowing — at least temporarily — an investigation into the possible mishandling of extremely sensitive classified information, as well as possible hiding, tampering or destruction of government records.

The Justice Department wrote in a brief filing that it would be appealing the decision to the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals. The notice paves the way for federal prosecutors to submit a detailed appeals brief to the 11th Circuit Court in Atlanta.

In a separate, simultaneous court filing, government prosecutors asked Cannon to stay her Sept. 5 decision on two key points: her order to temporarily halt a significant portion of the FBI investigation into the potential mishandling of classified information, and to allow a special master to review the classified material that is among the documents seized as part of a court-authorized search at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club on Aug. 8.
In the filing, prosecutors say that allowing a special master to review the classified material would “cause the most immediate and serious harms to the government and the public,” noting that those documents have already been moved to a secure facility, separate from the rest of the seized Trump papers.
Trump’s legal team argued in a federal courthouse in West Palm Beach last week that a special master is needed to determine whether any of the documents — more than 100 of which are classified — should be shielded from investigators because of attorney-client or executive privilege. They also said an independent outside expert would boost “trust” in the Justice Department’s criminal probe.
Special masters and Trump's Mar-a-Lago documents: What you need to know
Justice Department lawyers told Cannon they had already sorted through the documents, using a “filter team” to separate out more than 500 pages of documents potentially covered by attorney-client privilege. That arrangement was approved by the U.S. magistrate judge who authorized the search warrant for Mar-a-Lago, Trump’s Florida home and private club, after the government tried for months to get Trump and his advisers to return all the government documents kept at the property.

The Justice Department also argued that a former president cannot assert executive privilege after he leaves office, and that it is not possible for one part of the executive branch to assert privilege to shield documents from another part.
The Washington Post reported Tuesday that among the documents seized by the FBI was one describing a foreign government’s military defenses, including its nuclear capabilities, according to people familiar with the situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity. The people also said of the seized documents detail top-secret U.S. operations that are so closely guarded that many senior national security officials are kept in the dark about them.
While the appointment of a special master means investigators cannot use the documents they seized until the outside expert clears them, an appeal of Cannon’s decision carries its own legal risks for the Justice Department.
The appeals process could take longer than any document review by the special master. And there is no guarantee that the government would prevail, particularly if the case were to reach the Supreme Court, which has a 6-3 conservative majority that includes three Trump appointees.
This is a developing story. It will be updated.

That was a pretty fast turnaround on an appeal from the federal government. Probably because there are about a dozen ways this was a completely shitty ruling, starting with ex-President's don't get executive privilege.
I think they had to do it not just for this case, but because of the bizarre nature of ruling and how it would ripple outwards. Either that judge hasn't read the DoJ's presentations, or she just doesn't' give AF and is a cult member.

That was a pretty fast turnaround on an appeal from the federal government. Probably because there are about a dozen ways this was a completely shitty ruling, starting with ex-President's don't get executive privilege.
Notice of appeal is just a short filing saying what you plan to do.
I expect the actual appeal filing with the 11th Circuit will take some time.

Good. It was a s*** ruling. The bad thing is the court it will be appealed to has a bunch of Federalist trash on it.
Part of the lasting legacy of the Trump Administration will be the people Don McGahn put onto the federal courts.

Had she simply worked her way to appointing a special master that would have been one thing and idk if they appeal that. This ruling was such
an overreach using very tenuous logic that also made clear she barely read any of the supplemental materials they simply HAD to appeal this for the bad precedent it sets.

Even conservative judges won’t like this ruling. If nothing else I’d expect them to strictly curtail the purview of a special master.

“Special master” is just more diversionary bullshit from Trump. The phuquer broke the law...parse it however you want to parce it. Just another delay tactic...as Hellman stated this AM on “Morning Joe” Trump And the GOP are in full diversion mode...running around, pointing and yelling...”Look at the birdie!”....”Look at the birdie!”

I just read the DOJ’s brief. It is so indisputably correct about the classified material that it is not surprising Judge Cannon is hinting that Team Trump should just agree to the limited stay that DOJ requests.

I am glad that DOJ makes clear that, despite its quite reasonable and limited motion to stay, it intends to go to the mat on all aspects of Judge Cannon’s order on appeal. That order is shockingly bad and likely will be reversed. I am especially shocked that she granted injunctive relief despite admitting it was unlikely that Trump would prevail on the merits of the executive privilege claim. The mere remote possibility that the movant might prevail does not support the issuance of an injunction. That is exactly backward. It is the kind of decision that suggests possible corruption.

“Special master” is just more diversionary bullshit from Trump. The phuquer broke the law...parse it however you want to parce it. Just another delay tactic...as Hellman stated this AM on “Morning Joe” Trump And the GOP are in full diversion mode...running around, pointing and yelling...”Look at the birdie!”....”Look at the birdie!”
Trump is purely a national security threat. I never thought it would be possible to say that about an ex-president but the rule books were broken when he was elected. He does not love this country. He loves himself.

The Justice Department said it would appeal a federal judge’s decision to appoint a special master to sift through thousands of documents the FBI seized from Donald Trump’s Florida residence on Aug. 8, according to a Thursday court filing.

The notice of appeal arrived three days after Judge Aileen M. Cannon ruled in favor of Trump and said she would appoint a special master, slowing — at least temporarily — an investigation into the possible mishandling of extremely sensitive classified information, as well as possible hiding, tampering or destruction of government records.

The Justice Department wrote in a brief filing that it would be appealing the decision to the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals. The notice paves the way for federal prosecutors to submit a detailed appeals brief to the 11th Circuit Court in Atlanta.

In a separate, simultaneous court filing, government prosecutors asked Cannon to stay her Sept. 5 decision on two key points: her order to temporarily halt a significant portion of the FBI investigation into the potential mishandling of classified information, and to allow a special master to review the classified material that is among the documents seized as part of a court-authorized search at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club on Aug. 8.
In the filing, prosecutors say that allowing a special master to review the classified material would “cause the most immediate and serious harms to the government and the public,” noting that those documents have already been moved to a secure facility, separate from the rest of the seized Trump papers.
Trump’s legal team argued in a federal courthouse in West Palm Beach last week that a special master is needed to determine whether any of the documents — more than 100 of which are classified — should be shielded from investigators because of attorney-client or executive privilege. They also said an independent outside expert would boost “trust” in the Justice Department’s criminal probe.
Special masters and Trump's Mar-a-Lago documents: What you need to know
Justice Department lawyers told Cannon they had already sorted through the documents, using a “filter team” to separate out more than 500 pages of documents potentially covered by attorney-client privilege. That arrangement was approved by the U.S. magistrate judge who authorized the search warrant for Mar-a-Lago, Trump’s Florida home and private club, after the government tried for months to get Trump and his advisers to return all the government documents kept at the property.

The Justice Department also argued that a former president cannot assert executive privilege after he leaves office, and that it is not possible for one part of the executive branch to assert privilege to shield documents from another part.
The Washington Post reported Tuesday that among the documents seized by the FBI was one describing a foreign government’s military defenses, including its nuclear capabilities, according to people familiar with the situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity. The people also said of the seized documents detail top-secret U.S. operations that are so closely guarded that many senior national security officials are kept in the dark about them.
While the appointment of a special master means investigators cannot use the documents they seized until the outside expert clears them, an appeal of Cannon’s decision carries its own legal risks for the Justice Department.
The appeals process could take longer than any document review by the special master. And there is no guarantee that the government would prevail, particularly if the case were to reach the Supreme Court, which has a 6-3 conservative majority that includes three Trump appointees.
This is a developing story. It will be updated.

Are they worried the evidence they "planted" will be discovered?

Folks, I'm way behind on news... but I have now read DOJ filings. In my experience doing some appellate work / Motion to Reconsider..... I never approached what DOJ did in their filings. That is good. They just brought a wood chipper to a fig tree auction. DOJ knocked it down absolutely correct. That judge should be ashamed of herself.

As bad a President as Turd was in terms of policy and his successful attempts to divide Merica, the packing of various Courts with Radical Right judges might be his real legacy.

Fvck that guy.
That was kind of the whole point for McConnell and the republicans. In 2019, when it became obvious Trump wasn't going to get reelected, McConnell used the nuclear option and changed the rule requiring 30 hours of debate per judgeship to only 2 hours, allowing them to shove an extra 100 federal judges into office before Biden took office. McConnell said that radically redoing the courts for at least a generation will be his greatest accomplishment.

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/03/7094...o-speed-confirmations-for-some-trump-nominees

This federalist society judge is an unqualified hack

Honestly, I bet most nominees are pretty similar on these particular questions. That stuff is fluff. You could have an attorney with tons of things to list here but who’s never been in a courtroom.

Most important IMO is whether she has long experience as a trial attorney. I don’t know her background but 38 is pretty young.

Honestly, I bet most nominees are pretty similar on these particular questions. That stuff is fluff. You could have an attorney with tons of things to list here but who’s never been in a courtroom.

Most important IMO is whether she has long experience as a trial attorney. I don’t know her background but 38 is pretty young.

Trump nominated a ridiculous number of 30something judges.

Trump nominated a ridiculous number of 30something judges.
Attorneys have an ethical obligation to have the competence and ability to undertake any particular representation. It’s literally the first rule in the rules of professional conduct.

Given that, I’ve never understood why some of these clearly unqualified nominees felt comfortable being put forward. I would think they would decline, just as they would if approached by a potential client whose legal needs are beyond their expertise or competence.

Attorneys have an ethical obligation to have the competence and ability to undertake any particular representation. It’s literally the first rule in the rules of professional conduct.

Given that, I’ve never understood why some of these clearly unqualified nominees felt comfortable being put forward. I would think they would decline, just as they would if approached by a potential client whose legal needs are beyond their expertise or competence.
Not to mention the stigma of having been appointed by Trump!

Probably time for Congress to impeach and remove a few of these incompetent outlier judges.

And it should not be done on them just because of who appointed them, it should be done on those making wildly inappropriate decisions like this one. You can be a "conservative" judge, and still be a competent jurist.

I think it's a case of being flattered by a nomination even though you realize you're not qualified.

In this case, it's a trademark of the Trump Presidency...the majority of appointees weren't ready for the tasks they faced.

Probably time for Congress to impeach and remove a few of these incompetent outlier judges.

And it should not be done on them just because of who appointed them, it should be done on those making wildly inappropriate decisions like this one. You can be a "conservative" judge, and still be a competent jurist.
It will never happen. I have heard several people opine that a lot of them will tire of the workload, tire of being beat down in appeals, and wander off to corporate work or right wing academia.

Reactions: cigaretteman
She's got an outstanding resume. You guys need to move beyond Twitter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT