ADVERTISEMENT

Juwan Howard losing his shit.

WTH is Davison yelling and trying to do there?
“We’re singing ‘Varsity’.” The Wisconsin basketball team sings the alma mater in front of the student section after every game, I think. It is a cherished tradition. They were trying to clear the court, and he didn’t want to leave without doing the song.

Reactions: Joes Place
“We’re singing ‘Varsity’.” The Wisconsin basketball team sings the alma mater in front of the student section after every game, I think. It is a cherished tradition. They were trying to clear the court, and he didn’t want to leave without doing the song.
By doing typical douchey Davison things like trying to provoke the Michigan players and coaches even more.

Did anyone think to go smack Brad Davison after the melee broke out? Never have a chance like that again
Not sure I’d go close to Brad Davison in that situation given the things he does in-game while the cameras are rolling with the refs not distracted.

Hate to break it to you. If you response is anything but "Fire him now" you are tyring to justify it.

Saying well he got in his way, so keep walking or you know be an adult. People get in my way all the time I don't start arguments or swing at them.
I would be perfectly fine if Howard gets canned AND Gard gets a reprimand or suspension. The fact that Howard went full psycho doesn’t mean that what Gard did was cool.

I would be surprised if Gard got any suspension.
I would as well. My guess is that Howard will get significantly less punishment than he deserves and Gard will get nothing…..because the league isn’t interested in ending this kind of crap.

First, I don't have any opinion on Gard. I had no idea who the Wisconsin basketball coach was until today.
I believe he was going through the line and wanted to move on from the unpleasantness at the end of the game and forget about it. Howard immediately saw red and grabbed the front of Gard's coat and it went from there.
This is wrong. Howard said something and Gard grabs his elbow and turns him around. That’s when things go sideways. Shouldn’t have touched him when he was hot.

This is wrong. Howard said something and Gard grabs his elbow and turns him around. That’s when things go sideways. Shouldn’t have touched him when he was hot.
That is true. But, Howard came in hot to that handshake line when he shouldn’t have. The final result wasn’t even that close. And then he lost control of himself, in a violent way. That is not the kind of image or publicity the University of Michigan wants.

That is true. But, Howard came in hot to that handshake line when he shouldn’t have. The final result wasn’t even that close. And then he lost control of himself, in a violent way. That is not the kind of image or publicity the University of Michigan wants.
This.

Howard could have kept his cool and just said GG instead of yelling the F word or whatever. Howard was looking for a fight.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
This is a time for Hawkeye fans to come together not argue which of these two coaches are most bad. We need both of them to suffer. Flood the message boards worldwide and spread the blame on both of these houses. Watch them both burn

It doesn't matter what Gard did unless Gard had also thrown a punch. A coach can't lose control to the point where they're throwing punches. It wasn't even an instantaneous situation, it occurred way after the physical contact between Gard and Howard and Howard was responding to a different "provocation".

By the point that Howard threw the punch he should have already been back in control and trying to defuse the situation. Sure, it looks like Gard acted inappropriately as well and probably deserves a one-game suspension or whatever, but Gard didn't cross the "throwing a punch" dotted line that should result in a Coach getting canned.

The funny thing is if Howard had walked away he could have owned the narrative after. Now he doesn't

Both of these coaches should be in trouble. What an embarrassment for them, their families, their players and players families, the schools, and the conference.

Imagine the shit storm if a white coach slapped a black coach. Guy would have been fired before sundown.

f092fe23-0b05-4368-ae8e-141c20edb16f_text.gif

Gard was just going to shake his hand, until Howard started yelling at him in the handshake line. It all erupted from there.
Howard just walks by, and there would have been no issues.

Not true in the least. Howard would have just kept walking, Gard was the one that grabbed him and tried to stop him and make him listen to him. That doesn't fly. If that happens in the office, I'm walking somewhere and someone grabs me because I don't want to stop and talk to them, I'm going to be heated.

That in no way justifies Howard throwing a punch, but I thought Howard's initial reaction was justified, to get in Gard's face for grabbing him. But swinging is a whole other level, and should be punished significantly.

Howard should be suspended the rest of the year, and Gard should be suspended for a game. Unless you're a cop or a bouncer, there isn't a situation where you're justified to grab someone and stop them in your tracks just because you want to.

Conversations on race isn’t always pleasant.

double standard works both ways.
Oh, I totally agree double standards exist in society regarding race and is not unique to one side of the political spectrum.

I still am not convinced race would have entered the conversation had Howard been white and the Pissconsin assistant black. Look at the discussion on the initial exchange between Howard and Gard. Most people are saying while both coaches were in the wrong Howard crossed the line and was the worst offender. Not once (that I’ve read at least) has anyone with any sort of credibility made this about race or come to Howard’s defense under the working theory his actions were justified because he’s an oppressed person of color who was just retaliating from 500 years of persecution.

What right-winged idiots like @chodehawk do not seem to grasp is they are just as pathetic and reprehensible as the nerdy white liberal wanting to turn every perceived offense or injustice into a racial issue. It’s called laying siege of a vacant castle, and guys like chode are just as much a part of the problem as the aforementioned libturd type.

I'm saying the double standard with Juwan is more about his fame/Fab 5/NBA/alumni connections. Than his race.
Rarely does race get brought up in discussions about basketball or football anymore, especially since most fans have moved on from puerile musings about black quarterbacks. The right-wingers going straight to suppositions about role reversals of race in the context of sports are fugging idiots who need to evolve.

Reactions: seam
Rarely does race get brought up in discussions about basketball or football anymore, especially since most fans have moved on from puerile musings about black quarterbacks. The right-wingers going straight to suppositions about role reversals of race in the context of sports are fugging idiots who need to evolve.
LOL. Did you just miss the whole cycle about "Black coaches in the NFL" and the Brian Flores incident?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT