ADVERTISEMENT

Juwan Howard losing his shit.

Would be interesting if the guy who got smacked insisted on pressing charges; he certainly seems to have a case.

I seriously doubt that even a member of the Badger coaching staff could generate the level of pussy required to turn this into a civil suit....

Wisconsin AD "we have staff that have been affected and injured" Que??

76EX.gif

Michigan will suspend, but keep Howard on as head coach. And, then he will embarrass them again before long and get fired.
If they don’t do it now, they’ll be doing it later.
The question is how long will the suspension be? Same with some of the players on both teams.

Does the law look at an open handed hit vs closed fist hit differently when judging assaults?

There's not technically a difference, but it's a little bit subjective. Even grabbing someone like Gard did Howard could be an assault. If you walk up to a girl in a bar and she walks away from you and tells you to eff off, if you grab her by the arms like Gard did to hold and restrain her, you absolutely could take an assault charge.

In Georgia at least, assault is an attempt to commit an injury to someone OR an act that puts someone in apprehension of serious injury. So in this case, it could be hard to make a very good case that Gard was putting Howard in real apprehension of injury given their relative sizes and the context. Whereas if a guy grabbed a smaller girls walking away from them, you could absolutely say that would put her in apprehension of injury. So what Gard did can be an assault, but in this case I don't think it was.

You don't even have to actually make contact with someone...swinging on them and missing, pointing a gun at them, cornering them and threatening them...all can be assault in Georgia if it puts them in apprehension of an injury.

As for closed fist vs a sort of slap/push like Howard did? Not being a closed fist could be relevant somewhat, in that someone swinging a closed fist is pretty much open and closed assault, but an open hand push...might be a little harder to show an actual threat of injury. That said, personally, looking at the tape, I think Howard does swing with pretty significant force, and it's not clear that it's going to be an open hand connect when he starts so I think technically you could make an assault charge.

But I also think it would be kind of a pussy move to actually press charges and act like you seriously feared for injury, or else you shouldn't have inserted yourself into the scrum.

Reactions: Finance85
Still assault in a legal sense though, right?
There are a bunch of things that are legally assault that should IMO society should not be wasting time in the courts or jail with. And if neither party here wants to press charges which would be my guess, then let the conferences, Universities and NCAA hand out the punishments.

The fire him crowd probably hates this result. But I think it's right. The fine on Gard is fair also. It showed he wasn't innocent.

ADVERTISEMENT