ADVERTISEMENT

JW shots blocked

twindman

HR MVP
Sep 1, 2010
Arizona
Anyone have an idea why he had so many shots blocked last night? At least 3, maybe 4.
Also, I am pretty sure he is getting fouled by the body or on the arm a lot, but no calls.
Thought?

Just think he needs to go stronger. Still a learning curve for a guy who dominated at the high school level. B1G athletes are on a par if not more explosive than JW. I’m confident he gets there with more hard work. Probably was fouled some but don’t think we should complain about foul calls/ non calls from last night.

Really good defensive plays made by really good players. Michigan is not running around with chumps out there. Joe W will need to learn to take it up stronger (dunk it) if possible to draw more contact, execute a reverse layup to use the basket as a shield from shot blockers, pump fake & up, etc.

Not a criticism of JW, but he seems to like to finger roll everything in. Just seems occasionally he needs to release it earlier and get it on the glass. Then if it's blocked it's, of course, goaltending.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Not a criticism of JW, but he seems to like to finger roll everything in. Just seems occasionally he needs to release it earlier and get it on the glass. Then if it's blocked it's, of course, goaltending.
He will correct situation no? Tough rebounder already. Go Hawks....

This is an aspect of the game he needs to work on. He needs to be stronger with the ball and dunk it. He'll at least draw the foul. But he is in love with using the backboard.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
As And1Hawk said, in many cases last night all JW had to do was take another dribble and use a reverse lay-up from the right side, which is perfect for a right-handed player. You have the rim as protection so you can't get blocked, and you can use your dominant hand. I would imagine the coaches will be pointing those situations out in film study, and I would be surprised if we don't see JW using reverse lay-ups against Rutgers and everyone else the rest of the way. It's a very basic, standard basketball move. I'm pretty sure he's done it before. I was surprised when he didn't do it last night.

Reactions: And1Hawk
He seems a lot more comfortable driving from the top of the key than the wing. A lot more conviction. Wish Iowa would give him some more ball screen opportunities from the top. That said if he takes more than one dribble from the wing he has to go dunk it.

Just think he needs to go stronger. Still a learning curve for a guy who dominated at the high school level. B1G athletes are on a par if not more explosive than JW. I’m confident he gets there with more hard work. Probably was fouled some but don’t think we should complain about foul calls/ non calls from last night.
Start going up with two hands and if someone puts an arm in the way break it on the rim as you dunk it in their face.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned an obvious remedy: stop taking shots.

He was making drives from the 3pt line, which is a long way to go and gives defenders time to respond. The plays that the Michigan kids made were very good and clean blocks.

Three things he can do.
1. Use a reverse layup as others have said
2. Put the ball off the glass earlier so that they can't touch it
3. Stop the drive for a pull up jump shot.

He's athletic enough for #1, plus he'd probably pick up some fouls that way.
For #2, there's a lower likelihood of drawing a foul, but he may pick up some goaltends from overzealous defenders
#3 has the lowest likelihood of success compared to the other two.

Lot of great points already in this thread and I would just add that he doesn't really practice against a shot blocking team. Maybe nobody blocks those layups in practice. On the plays last night I'd say one he should have tried to dunk and the other one was an easy reverse opportunity.

He didn't do anything wrong.

The angle he was taking made it quicker to shoot with the closer right hand.

UM players just made some nice defensive plays.

If he takes the extra time to gather and try to dunk it only gives the defender more time to contest.

I thought earlier in the season he WAS dunking it often. Maybe he has some minor injury that takes away from his jumping ability.

If he takes the extra time to gather and try to dunk it only gives the defender more time to contest.

This is not that complicated. Sometimes the other team is good too and makes plays. Iowa really needs him attacking the rim as he's by far the best at it among Iowa's roster. He shot 10 free throws against Michigan, because he was willing to go to the basket.

JW usually tries to take it right to the backboard with his right hand without walling off the defender with his body. That will work against the guys normally defending him, but maybe not if the opposing big is waiting near the basket. I like Weesy driving, but he needs to use his left hand more on that side of the basket and be willing to create some contact with his body. I didn't think the blocks were fouls against UM.

He is still weak.

Look at his body compared to other players at his position out there. It's a significant difference in muscle mass. A small forward/shooting guard doesn't have to have a jacked physique. But JW is lacking in the upper body strength department.

I don't know what the offseason strength program is for him, but it hasn't done the job yet.

Reactions: CanadaHawk

Other teams are trying too! :)

He is still weak.

Look at his body compared to other players at his position out there. It's a significant difference in muscle mass. A small forward/shooting guard doesn't have to have a jacked physique. But JW is lacking in the upper body strength department.

I don't know what the offseason strength program is for him, but it hasn't done the job yet.
Don’t know if I’d call him weak. As we all know, JW is very talented. But think the blocks on him in the MI game should clue him in that he’s got work to do building his body before he’s NBA-ready.

Start using the infamous Tom Davis fake shots. Jess Settles was very good at this.

Last edited:
He is driving to flat with the back board. He will learn step toward defender(so toward center court one step) then explode towards the basket. This creates contact and space to go towards the basket (North and south). Being flat makes it so he can’t get his body between his defender and the rim. It also means he can only explode east and west. So going over them is all he has. He not that type of player. It wasn’t just Michigan it’s been most his baseline drives all year.

Could maybe go up stronger. All hand on one of those “blocks” also makes it tough.
I agree (if I'm understanding you correctly). One of the blocks I saw was when he went up with the shot, it looked like the defender slapped his hand against the glass. No call. Go up strong and dunk if there is little space, and use two hands if it is possible. Lay it in off the glass if there is space. Easy for me to say though.

ADVERTISEMENT