ADVERTISEMENT

Kadyn and family

Being well compensated doesn't suddenly turn a child into an adult. That's a very dangerous way to think. I honestly don't see the need for some people to want to accelerate the development process of a young person simply so they can publicly criticize them. Is it so important to be critical?
Not a child according to the law... Just saying. No matter how inconsequential you think those actions are.

If this happened 30 years ago, everyone would say the same thing. Just now we have a platform to air those grievances. Remember, Festivus is just around the corner.

Not a child according to the law... Just saying. No matter how inconsequential you think those actions are.

If this happened 30 years ago, everyone would say the same thing. Just now we have a platform to air those grievances. Remember, Festivus is just around the corner.
Again, my question is why is it so important to classify a 17 year old as an adult just so that a person can criticize them for playing a game at a school they don't like?

Reactions: amahawk
random thoughts:
1. There are "kids" at that age (17, 18) who can enlist in the army, too. If they were to back out would you think they are just doing what is best for their family?
2. Speaking about what's best for the family. I hope that any money made does not go back to the parents. NO teenager should financially support their parents. Hopefully, He invests it properly for his future.(talking about any signee)
Unless the parents are opportunists. (I see this too much with 16-17-year-olds than I would like)
3. Money changes everything. True in football, True in life. They are paid they cannot hide behind the fact that they are 18. I bet you all feel sorry for all the trust fund babies that get hounded by the paparazzi too
Many good thoughts, the ONE thang bothering me about nil money and kids …..
Money changes everything! ! !
kids are not yet professional But getting paid is the same effect ! !
This is the ruin of amateur football ! 😡

Lots of good points -- my 2 cents

If he committed to Alabama this summer.
-- Disappointing but understandable and wish him the best

If he committed to Iowa this summer has second thoughts and switches to Alabama a couple months later
-- Disappointing, and not the way I was raised to honor commitments, but it's a difficult decision and understandable

If he committed to Iowa this summer and waits until days before signing to switch to Alabama even after giving his word multiple times to the coaching staff
-- Speaks to some credibility and trust issues. Even by some set of fortune he finds his way back to Iowa in a year or two, if i was the coaching staff it would be hard to ever really trust him. In the back of your mind he would only be as committed as the next best offer.

Final Point -- I couldn't disagree more with the argument that these are kids and we have to treat them as such. With NIL and new transfer portal rules these are now very well compensated professional athletes that are annual free agents. The ones that take advantage of these new opportunities open themselves up to the same criticism as any other professional athlete\free agent. Although criticism is one thing, unfortunately some fans can take this too far.
Schools need to organize and have kids signing 4 year employment contracts. Then schools can trade and get rid of portal.

Can’t really restrict outside employment or endorsements though. No more than the NFL can.

Reactions: bumpstock
Lots of good points -- my 2 cents

If he committed to Alabama this summer.
-- Disappointing but understandable and wish him the best

If he committed to Iowa this summer has second thoughts and switches to Alabama a couple months later
-- Disappointing, and not the way I was raised to honor commitments, but it's a difficult decision and understandable

If he committed to Iowa this summer and waits until days before signing to switch to Alabama even after giving his word multiple times to the coaching staff
-- Speaks to some credibility and trust issues. Even by some set of fortune he finds his way back to Iowa in a year or two, if i was the coaching staff it would be hard to ever really trust him. In the back of your mind he would only be as committed as the next best offer.

Final Point -- I couldn't disagree more with the argument that these are kids and we have to treat them as such. With NIL and new transfer portal rules these are now very well compensated professional athletes that are annual free agents. The ones that take advantage of these new opportunities open themselves up to the same criticism as any other professional athlete\free agent. Although criticism is one thing, unfortunately some fans can take this too far.

Again, my question is why is it so important to classify a 17 year old as an adult just so that a person can criticize them for playing a game at a school they don't like?
I don't know when do decisions matter 16, 17, 18, 24, 30? If you make a decision, you have to face the consequences. In this case, he made a decision that angered a bunch of people who care about a team that symbolizes the pride they have for community, state, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawkness Monster
True. But on the bright side it frees up a bunch of nil to fill in needs on offense.
Some of you struggle with the concept that NIL is not to be used to induce recruits or tamper with potential transfers. It is intended to be used to reward current players with opportunities.

Kadyn is a great kid and his parents are great people. High character folks all around. They all were involved in a tough decision that none of us can truly understand because we don't have a 5 star elite athlete child being recruited by everyone in the country. Lots of details and nuance that no one knows outside of their circle. I know this flip is upsetting to many Hawkeye fans. At the end of the day it's just a game at a school and not a commitment that really means something, like a marriage or being a parent or even a job contract. It's funny to me that people don't seem to react this negatively when someone leaves a spouse or their children. Kind of shows our crazy priorities.

It was a hard decision but everyone is relieved it's over. He's being advised to stay away from social media as much as possible to avoid the crazies who are questioning his character or worse.

Everything will be ok.
They don't sound like high character people to me. They way they are handling things is pretty classless.

I was taught to never burn bridges. He and his family burned a big one. Kirk is one of the most respected coaches because of his integrity, dedication to his players, the university and the state. Then to taunt the Hawkeye community? Shows really bad form.

The future are the young student athletes who want to be Hawkeyes. Good for them and welcome. This will be the last post for me on the Proctor subject. Upward and onward to the bowl game and 2024.

I’m not sure I’d consider their decision and handling of things high character. Understandable, maybe, high character - no.
Of course you wouldn't. You don't know them nor do you have all the details. All you know is your feelings are hurt so someone has to be blamed.

Of course you wouldn't. You don't know them nor do you have all the details. All you know is your feelings are hurt so someone has to be blamed.
I have seen people flip from Iowa to somewhere else or turn Iowa down etc that have handled things much better than him and his family. They have put down the staff, the program and the current commits all in the matter of a few days. If you want to go to Bama, fine, but handle it with class.

Assumed that Birch picked up the Proctor quote from social media,.. Perhaps this is incorrect?
It was from an interview he did. Between this comment putting down the commits in Iowa's class he is not looking good.

I call BS. We have enough details - commits to Iowa, then at last second decommits and commits to Bama. He should have decomimtted when he decided to go to Oregon, but say 'I am opening up my search'. This last minute stuff is crazy and certainly against the intent of NIL.

I call BS. We have enough details - commits to Iowa, then at last second decommits and commits to Bama. He should have decomimtted when he decided to go to Oregon, but say 'I am opening up my search'. This last minute stuff is crazy and certainly against the intent of NIL.
Huh? What does “the intent of NIL” have to do with a kid opening up his search?

I think we sit somewhere in the middle of the natty talk. We are closer than most but still not anywhere close to the talent level of a UGA or BAMA. In a perfect scenario like 15' we could have made it into the 4 team. Now with it going to 12, Iowa will have a better chance of making to the tourney but probably still the same outside show to win it.
All this portal and NIL stuff has just made me realize exactly where Iowa and other teams like them are in the pecking order of college athletics.

Good enough to not be "bad". Good enough to make a conference championship game or tournament. No where close to making a long run in basketball or competing with the top 2 or 3 teams in every power conference for football.

Reactions: fehfkf
Say it with me: I will not tweet at a teenager and his family. I will not tweet at a teenager and his family. I will not tweet at a teenager and his family. I will not tweet at a teenager and his family. I will not tweet at a teenager and his family.

Say it with me: I will not tweet at a teenager and his family. I will not tweet at a teenager and his family. I will not tweet at a teenager and his family. I will not tweet at a teenager and his family. I will not tweet at a teenager and his family.
I’m not even on twitter. It’s an echo chamber bitch session for punk ass liberals. That being said. His mother is a skank and what he did reflects his “muh dik” “father figure” that deposited one in his mom 18 years ago.

Texting his quit; lowlife
And then bagging on Iowas recruiting class on the way out. Face it between him and Jestin Jacobs you just don’t see most of our players leave for “da Benjamin’s”

I have seen people flip from Iowa to somewhere else or turn Iowa down etc that have handled things much better than him and his family. They have put down the staff, the program and the current commits all in the matter of a few days. If you want to go to Bama, fine, but handle it with class.
Well stated. The kid is a feckless turd

Kadyn is a great kid and his parents are great people. High character folks all around. They all were involved in a tough decision that none of us can truly understand because we don't have a 5 star elite athlete child being recruited by everyone in the country. Lots of details and nuance that no one knows outside of their circle. I know this flip is upsetting to many Hawkeye fans. At the end of the day it's just a game at a school and not a commitment that really means something, like a marriage or being a parent or even a job contract. It's funny to me that people don't seem to react this negatively when someone leaves a spouse or their children. Kind of shows our crazy priorities.

It was a hard decision but everyone is relieved it's over. He's being advised to stay away from social media as much as possible to avoid the crazies who are questioning his character or worse.

Everything will be ok.
Actions speak louder than words. If the bolded was true than it is true no longer. This has tarnished their reputation. Not that the kid flipped. Go ahead and go to Alabama. It's the way this all played out. Used Iowa as a backup and led them on all this time and then the last couple weeks makes the rounds to Oregon and Alabama and plays everyone off against each other. That's not high character. High character would have been being up front with Iowa and formally decommitting weeks ago. Add in some of the things that have been said in the aftermath. Alabama can have them. They'll fit in well there.

Actions speak louder than words. If the bolded was true than it is true no longer. This has tarnished their reputation. Not that the kid flipped. Go ahead and go to Alabama. It's the way this all played out. Used Iowa as a backup and led them on all this time and then the last couple weeks makes the rounds to Oregon and Alabama and plays everyone off against each other. That's not high character. High character would have been being up front with Iowa and formally decommitting weeks ago. Add in some of the things that have been said in the aftermath. Alabama can have them. They'll fit in well there.
Must not have listened too closely to the Zelenovich and SEP staff's messages about commitment, honesty, selflessness, character, etc.

Schools need to organize and have kids signing 4 year employment contracts. Then schools can trade and get rid of portal.

Can’t really restrict outside employment or endorsements though. No more than the NFL can.
Great post! Still, some players will insist on a No Trade Clause in their contract.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT