ADVERTISEMENT

Kadyn Proctor explains commitment flip from Iowa to Alabama: 'I felt like I was settling'

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Proctor’s commitment to Alabama came amid speculation of a lucrative NIL (name-image-likeness) deal the school put together to woo him. He said Wednesday that’s not what convinced him to flip his commitment to Alabama. He said it was about the resources Alabama had and the opportunities that playing for the Crimson Tide provided.

“It’s not about the money because if people knew about the money situation, they wouldn’t be talking about it,” Proctor said. “But I wanted to go play football at a prestigious school. (There’s) a lot of competition down there and ultimately it’s going to make me better.”

IOWA FOOTBALL

Kadyn Proctor explains commitment flip from Iowa to Alabama: 'I felt like I was settling'​

Tommy Birch
Hawk Central

Southeast Polk's Kadyn Proctor (74) plays against Cedar Rapids Prairie on Oct. 7 in Pleasant Hill.

At 7 a.m. Wednesday, two and a half hours before his signing day ceremony at Southeast Polk High School, Kadyn Proctor gathered with his mother and stepdad in their Altoona home to quietly but officially take the next step in his football career.
The letter of intent papers for Alabama arrived in the mail Tuesday. Proctor signed them, snapped some photos and fired off some texts to members of the coaching staff to let them know his commitment was a done deal.
“Then, I’m not going to lie, I went back to bed,” Proctor said with a smile.
Proctor could finally breathe a sigh of relief. The high school football star, one of the most coveted players in the nation, was now a part of the Crimson Tide program. The signature, the snapshots and the symbolic ceremony that took place later in the morning in front of friends, family and teammates in the Southeast Polk auditorium ended an eventful recruitment of the star offensive tackle.

“It’s been somewhat stressful,” his mother, Sarah Proctor-Perkins, said of the last few days.
It's been a wild ride for the 6-foot-7, 330-pound offensive lineman, who has long been heralded as one of the top players in the state and nation. He drew scholarship offers from seemingly all the big names, including Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Alabama, Oregon and Ole Miss.

Proctor, listed by 247Sports as a five-star recruit and the nation’s top offensive tackle, committed to Iowa back in June. He was viewed as a Day 1 starter and the biggest name in the Hawkeyes' 2023 recruiting class.
That didn’t stop teams from trying to change Proctor's mind. NFL Hall of Famer Deion Sanders, who recently took over the Colorado job, offered him a scholarship. Oregon was on hand to watch Proctor guide Southeast Polk to its second-straight state football title in November. Alabama coach Nick Saban visited him on one of the first days he could see recruits.
Proctor visited Alabama this past weekend and was finally swayed to flip his commitment and join the Crimson Tide.
“When I went down there and got to see everything that was laid out for me, I just thought it was a better opportunity for me,” Proctor said.
Here’s a look at some of the other major storylines surrounding Proctor’s change of heart.

Did NIL play a role in Proctor's decision to flip his commitment? He says no​

Proctor’s commitment to Alabama came amid speculation of a lucrative NIL (name-image-likeness) deal the school put together to woo him. He said Wednesday that’s not what convinced him to flip his commitment to Alabama. He said it was about the resources Alabama had and the opportunities that playing for the Crimson Tide provided.
“It’s not about the money because if people knew about the money situation, they wouldn’t be talking about it,” Proctor said. “But I wanted to go play football at a prestigious school. (There’s) a lot of competition down there and ultimately it’s going to make me better.”
Proctor conceded there was money involved, but he wouldn’t say how much Alabama was willing to shell out in NIL dollars to secure his services. Proctor's mother was adamant that things like dorms, team doctors and facilities played a bigger role in his decision to switch his commitment. She said her son was also swayed by the opportunity to play with athletes of his size right out of the gate and help him get to the NFL.
Proctor said Iowa was willing to pony up.
“I’m not getting paid that much (more) as Iowa was going to give me,” he said. “People didn’t know that. But everybody has opinions.”

Proctor says he would have been 'settling' by staying at Iowa​

Proctor said he informed Iowa’s coaching staff of his decision to decommit last week and hinted he had been mulling it over for a bit. He admitted that Iowa’s offensive struggles the last couple of years were part of his thought process but didn’t play a major role. In fact, he liked the idea of coming in and helping change a program. But he figured playing at Alabama could tap into more of his potential.
“I thought I was settling at Iowa and when I went down there (Alabama), I saw all the guys that are as big as me and have the same mindset as me and worked like me," he said. "That’s just what I wanted to do. I don’t want to come into this school and everybody thinks I’m one of the best players there already. I want to grow. That’s not how I grow. I’ve got to get hit in the mouth before I can grow. And I think getting hit in the mouth is the competition (I need)."
During the weekend visit to Alabama, Proctor met with Saban, hung out with some players and watched the Crimson Tide practice for its Sugar Bowl matchup with Kansas State. When he got back to his hotel room Saturday night, he told his mom he wanted to play at Alabama.
“He was all about going to Iowa and I just thought, ‘Are you sure? Are you sure?’” Proctor-Perkins said. “It kind of shocked me.”

The fallout from Proctor's late commitment swap generates social buzz and backlash​

Proctor committed to Saban on Sunday. Word started getting out early in the week that Proctor was potentially flipping to Alabama. The fallout brought loads of criticism as people took to social media to bash the decision. Proctor’s announcement on Twitter on Tuesday was met with a barrage of negativity from people who questioned his loyalty and motives.
“It made me feel bad a little bit but I can’t tune in to that stuff,” he said. “It’s just mind-blowing that 40-year-olds, 50-year-olds are calling me the p-word and saying ‘F-you,’ I’m going to hell and stuff like that. It’s just crazy to hear. But I don’t give in to that stuff because if they were truly an Iowa fan, then they wouldn’t have been talking about that and they would have been happy for me to be going to Alabama and representing the state.”

He said this summer big schools were offering $1 million; is he trying to get us to believe the amount is now less?

I don't believe a word out of his mouth and the more I hear him talk, and about his family, the more I'm fine with his choice not to attend my alma mater.

Last edited:
I'm ok with him going to Bama, I just wish he would not have screwed Iowa with the decommit the day before signing period.... He should have not committed to the Hawks until he knew he was sure he would want to be here for the right reasons...

What a terrible job with that interview. I don’t want to be the best player when I get there? I want to be around people who will work like me?

I still cannot hate on a kid, but damn man……just say that this was the decision I thought was best for me, and then move on.

He couldn’t have come off looking worse than he did there. SMH.

He sounds like he's on one of those crime detective shows, trying to tell the cops why he didn't and couldn't possibly be the one to commit the crime.
I couldn't be for the money cause it was just a tiny bit more

• Haha
Reactions: reotto
Quite a lot there that doesn't make sense. First of all, the whole I need to go somewhere that I'll get hit in the mouth BS. At IA he would be going up against an elite defense every single day ... one that would be more than willing to punch him in the mouth. I wonder if Wirfs ever felt like he "settled". I don't believe that he actually believes everything he's saying.

It's almost as if he is regurgitating exactly what his 'bama recruiter and those from the 'bama staff he interacted with have been telling him. That's arrogant coach speak infecting a young impressionable kid.

Still think KP (and his family) are getting a truck full of $$$, and part of the deal is that he down plays it publicly.

I'm sure the Iowa coaches were good to him and his family. I understand changing your mind, but to flip on a school a few days before signing day just blows my mind. You supposedly loved Iowa for that long and then you absolutely leave them hanging with no chance to get another tackle to fill your spot? This stuff just blows my mind and how big of a POS you have to be to pull it off.

He said this summer big schools were offering $1 million; is he trying to get us to believe the amount is now less?

I don't believe a word out of his mouth and the more I hear him talk, and about his family, the more I'm fine with his choice not to attend my alma mater.
Honestly this is the point I’m at too. I didn’t have a strong opinion, but man…he is not coming across well in all this.

Terrible look Kadyn, making yourself look arrogant. Not a good look at all.

Ironically enough, it’s kind of the same philosophy I have on here, if you wait long enough, the idiots will make themselves look like idiots…

For example, we had about 4000 post yesterday alone on how badly the coaches F-ed this up & here we have this kid..,

Who to be fair is still just a kid! The yahoos in here aren’t!

Last edited:
It’s about the money. Always has been always will be.

If he is indeed getting 7 figures he 100% made the right choice.

Put half the take home into investments and only spend a portion of the interest he will be able to retire very very early.
Exactly, this is all he had to say. Saban is his ambassador of quan, and it's good for the family. His handlers need to do a better job of coaching this young man.

Instead he's telling us he's going back to Bama for the doctors, dorms, and drills against big people? (call it the Proctor version of Biggie Smalls "Going back to Cali strictly for the weather, women, and the weed").

“It’s just mind-blowing that 40-year-olds, 50-year-olds are calling me the p-word and saying ‘F-you,’ I’m going to hell and stuff like that. It’s just crazy to hear.”

Seeing a lot of that on these boards lol. Go get that chedda KP

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT