ADVERTISEMENT

****Kaleb Johnson Commits to IOWA****

Insane for a guy who’s 6’1 215
Tried to look around for some times and the only thing I found was that at some point he must have said he runs a 4.4. Honestly he’s the type of guy that doesn’t even look that fast looking at him in isolation, it just looks effortless. Then you see him running by people and it’s pretty obvious he’s hauling.

LOL, what? These guys could red-shirt and then play as a RS Frosh. Goodson isn't on any draft boards.
Way too early to have guys on draft boards other than the obvious 1-2 round picks. I have no idea if Goodson is getting drafted. He's improved in a lot of areas, even if the numbers don't show it. The OL this year is just not as good as last year. He's a very good pass catcher. If he comes back for another year, fantastic. If he doesn't, wish him well.

Reactions: 24 so far
the kid is definitely put together

FBXNgeEXIAMfvlu
Not a kid, that is a grown man. A grown man that just happens to be in high school still.

You're percentage is a little off, friend.
Love TG and he's a great college back, but 5'10" 190 pound RBs just don't translate to the NFL these days. They were a bit more common 30 years ago, but he's gotta put on at least 15 pounds of muscle and be a little more willing to dive between the tackles because even those 1-3 yard gainers are a heck of a lot better than 3 yard losses while trying to find a hole as he tries to do. He's borderline NFL caliber right now and miiight be a 6th/7th round pick if he stays healthy, but more likely he's UDFA material. Only TG knows what's best for himself so if he thinks another year might help his draft stock, or if he's resigned to the fact that getting his degree would be his best bet, he'll stay. If it doesn't look like he has much room for improvement he may take his chances. Either way he's done Iowa proud both on and off the field.

Love TG and he's a great college back, but 5'10" 190 pound RBs just don't translate to the NFL these days. They were a bit more common 30 years ago, but he's gotta put on at least 15 pounds of muscle and be a little more willing to dive between the tackles because even those 1-3 yard gainers are a heck of a lot better than 3 yard losses while trying to find a hole as he tries to do.
No one is claiming that Goodson is an NFL lock but it is ridicullous to say that there is no chance of being drafted or that there is zero chance of him leaving after this season.. I'd say its about 60/40 that he returns. As other have noted, another year at Iowa is not likely to substantially boost his draft status ...which is Rd 5/6 IMO.

Iowa has some thunder and lightning at RB in the '22 class. Has been needed over the last few years to reignite the running game. The future is bright.

No one is claiming that Goodson is an NFL lock but it is ridicullous to say that there is no chance of being drafted or that there is zero chance of him leaving after this season.. I'd say its about 60/40 that he returns. As other have noted, another year at Iowa is not likely to substantially boost his draft status ...which is Rd 5/6 IMO.
To be fair I didn't say he had no chance. But the odds aren't really in his favor. He's undersized and honestly probably a half-step too slow to be a first or second day pick. He's got an honest shot at the 6th or 7th round, especially if he stays productive and healthy.

I could see Goodson being attractive to a team that already has a bruiser back, but can’t catch screens or wheel routes. Basically I’m saying TG could possibly hang around as a 3rd down back that could also handle a few other situational snaps.

question is whether teams DRAFT 3rd down backs or bring these types in through UDFA workouts?

Reactions: kceasthawk
90/10 he returns. He isn't even a Rd5/6 pick, and he absolutely can improve his stock next year.

Regarding Johnson... what another kick in the nuts to the Clones.

He was their top target... until he wasn't. ;) ;)

Then, to lose him to the Hawks, no less.

Guess he didn't crave that 5* culture thing lil Matty has going in Ames.

Love TG and he's a great college back, but 5'10" 190 pound RBs just don't translate to the NFL these days. They were a bit more common 30 years ago, but he's gotta put on at least 15 pounds of muscle and be a little more willing to dive between the tackles because even those 1-3 yard gainers are a heck of a lot better than 3 yard losses while trying to find a hole as he tries to do. He's borderline NFL caliber right now and miiight be a 6th/7th round pick if he stays healthy, but more likely he's UDFA material. Only TG knows what's best for himself so if he thinks another year might help his draft stock, or if he's resigned to the fact that getting his degree would be his best bet, he'll stay. If it doesn't look like he has much room for improvement he may take his chances. Either way he's done Iowa proud both on and off the field.
Another year of great numbers will help, for sure. TG is a little small by NFL standards but there are guys making it under 6'...the under 200lbs is a bit more of a concern.

Christian McCaffery (my apologies for invoking his name)
Phillip Lindsay
Kareem Hunt
Nick Chubb
LeSean McCoy
Alvin Kamara
CJ Anderson
Mark Ingram

If you look at the 2019 draft class, plenty of RBs under 6' but they all had a little more meat on their bones.

https://fantasydata.com/why-size-matters-at-the-rb-position

90/10 he returns. He isn't even a Rd5/6 pick, and he absolutely can improve his stock next year.
1. Agree to disagree if he would be drafted after this year, I think he would likely be a late round pick. Goodson has very good pass catching ability in addition to his ball carrying skills. I see him as a utility player for the team that drafts him.

2. I didn't state that Goodson couldn't improve his NFL stock if he returns; I said he would not be able to substantially improve his draft status if he returns.

Will another 250-280 carries in Year4 at Iowa significantly upgrade his draft stock enough to outweigh the risk of serious injury? I beleive the answer is no but it is not my decision. I'm sure he will get expert advice.

Another year of great numbers will help, for sure. TG is a little small by NFL standards but there are guys making it under 6'...the under 200lbs is a bit more of a concern.

Phillip Lindsay
Kareem Hunt
Nick Chubb
LeSean McCoy
Alvin Kamara
CJ Anderson
Mark Ingram

If you look at the 2019 draft class, plenty of RBs under 6' but they all had a little more meat on their bones.

I think Goodson’s biggest issue is he isn’t a freak athlete and that he is good to pretty good in a lot of areas but great at nothing. Also, I know it’s not high up in the list of skills for an RB but his blitz pick-up/pass blocking is bad.

Phillip Lindsay
Kareem Hunt
Nick Chubb
LeSean McCoy
Alvin Kamara
CJ Anderson
Mark Ingram

As far as RBs go, height is next to meaningless. RB size almost always refers to mass, and generally speaking, the more massive, the more durable. Lots of people thought Reggie Bush would be the next Barry Sanders (all of 5'7.5" and 195 pounds, but he LOOKED much bigger than he was - dude was crazy fit), but while he showed flashes of brilliance, he kept getting dinged up and never came close to realizing his full potential. He was listed at 200 pounds but that was probably in full pads. He was probably closer to 185-190. Mark Ingram isn't nearly as talented as Reggie Bush, but was able to carve himself a solid, if unspectacular career. Ingram is about 5'10" and a bit more massive than Bush, right around 210 pounds or so. Bama's other Heisman tailback, Derrick Henry, is a tight end playing RB. I think in HS he was listed at 6'5" 230 which is absurd for a RB, but his 'true' height of 6'3" was listed at Bama. Normally backs this tall are at a disadvantage because of the higher center of gravity (and often they have less speed), but Henry is an exception because so much of his weight is in his legs. It's really, really hard to bring down a 240-245 pound ball carrier with legs like his. Ron Dayne was as heavy as Henry but much shorter and much slower - you didn't need a fast ball carrier with Wisky's OL. There has to be a good balance of size and speed - I would have to imagine that a 'typical' NFL RB goes roughly 5'11" and 220-225. Still a low-ish center of gravity, and enough mass (especially in the legs) to make him difficult to bring down, but not so much mass that there's a huge speed sacrifice.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Just for numbers sake, we have 13 seniors with scholarships
As far as RBs go, height is next to meaningless. RB size almost always refers to mass, and generally speaking, the more massive, the more durable. Lots of people thought Reggie Bush would be the next Barry Sanders (all of 5'7.5" and 195 pounds, but he LOOKED much bigger than he was - dude was crazy fit), but while he showed flashes of brilliance, he kept getting dinged up and never came close to realizing his full potential. He was listed at 200 pounds but that was probably in full pads. He was probably closer to 185-190. Mark Ingram isn't nearly as talented as Reggie Bush, but was able to carve himself a solid, if unspectacular career. Ingram is about 5'10" and a bit more massive than Bush, right around 210 pounds or so. Bama's other Heisman tailback, Derrick Henry, is a tight end playing RB. I think in HS he was listed at 6'5" 230 which is absurd for a RB, but his 'true' height of 6'3" was listed at Bama. Normally backs this tall are at a disadvantage because of the higher center of gravity (and often they have less speed), but Henry is an exception because so much of his weight is in his legs. It's really, really hard to bring down a 240-245 pound ball carrier with legs like his. Ron Dayne was as heavy as Henry but much shorter and much slower - you didn't need a fast ball carrier with Wisky's OL. There has to be a good balance of size and speed - I would have to imagine that a 'typical' NFL RB goes roughly 5'11" and 220-225. Still a low-ish center of gravity, and enough mass (especially in the legs) to make him difficult to bring down, but not so much mass that there's a huge speed sacrifice.
Pretty much Shonn Green, he had 2 really good years. Made 10 million in the NFL mostly thanks to Tennessee.

He was committed to Cal and has flipped to IOWA.

Junior Year Highlights:

Video from his Sep 5th Game (first Game this Season):

From Oct 2nd:

He visited last weekend & was hanging out with X, as you can see below. Last weekend is paying dividends, to say the least.

Kaleb is the 2nd running back commit and the 11th overall commit in the 2022 class.

Awesome! I was happy when I saw that - kids pretty put together for a young man he looks ready for BT play as is - can’t imagine with hitting the weights and being under the Iowa coaching staff for a year what the end result is going to be but he has all the tools to be a awesome Iowa back and I am pumped we got a back who is close to 6’2 and can fly…. Plus he sure can shed those would be tacklers

1. Agree to disagree if he would be drafted after this year, I think he would likely be a late round pick. Goodson has very good pass catching ability in addition to his ball carrying skills. I see him as a utility player for the team that drafts him.

2. I didn't state that Goodson couldn't improve his NFL stock if he returns; I said he would not be able to substantially improve his draft status if he returns.

Will another 250-280 carries in Year4 at Iowa significantly upgrade his draft stock enough to outweigh the risk of serious injury? I beleive the answer is no but it is not my decision. I'm sure he will get expert advice.
Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree. He's not on any draft boards, he can only go up in draft status. If he left this year, it'd be 10 x's more puzzling than Brandon Smith leaving last year.

Bama's other Heisman tailback, Derrick Henry, is a tight end playing RB. I think in HS he was listed at 6'5" 230 which is absurd for a RB, but his 'true' height of 6'3" was listed at Bama. Normally backs this tall are at a disadvantage because of the higher center of gravity (and often they have less speed), but Henry is an exception because so much of his weight is in his legs. It's really, really hard to bring down a 240-245 pound ball carrier with legs like his.
I agree with essentially everything you say other than Derek Henry having big legs. I don't doubt they're strong as all hell but to me his legs look kind of skinny compared to his overall size and upper body. Being taller probably adds to that appearance.
AJ Dillon and Saquan are the types that come to my mind when regarding massive legs.
PEM4U4LSBZHJLGFHWBFRM3VDUQ.jpg

24aa0-16305198548507-800.jpg

d35fa-16158309222062-800.jpg

15a62d96-3a47-4fc1-b40e-67c63dccb7bb-saquon_823.jpg

As far as TG going pro early, I understand why there would be a desire. But I'm not sure there's a spot for him in the NFL.

Imagine if you could roll back to the 2018 draft. Iowa had a very athletic running back that had back to back 1000 yard rushing and 300 yard receiving seasons and had all of the showing of a playmaker. Except he struggled to keep his playing weight up above 190 and definitely couldn't get it above 200. Would you draft him? Because no NFL team did and he only made one NFL camp as a rookie but never got a taste again after that.

TG is basically the same back as AW in terms of size and abilities with slightly better moves like his spin move. This isn't like basketball where a player that comes out early but can't cut it in the NBA could still make a good living in Europe at one off many teams in many different leagues. You've either got the NFL or Canada. But there aren't that many teams in the CFL so competition for a roster spot is very high. Unless you're a first three or four round lock, coming out early is often a mistake as there is no guarantee of money.

If the line was more experienced and blowing holes open you all might have a different opinion of TG's NFL chances.
Not really. As has been stated, the NFL drafts more on potencial, and T Good will probably never have the makeup to be an everydown back. Add too that backs have such a short shelf life in the league. He's fantastic with the ball in space, but still has pretty average hands catching the ball, and is very poor at blitz pickup. Love the guy really, but just don't see him as an everydown back, (he'd take a beating), and they don't draft those guys, at least not in the first 4 or 5 rounds.

Reactions: owenhawk
ADVERTISEMENT