ADVERTISEMENT

****Kaleb Johnson Commits to IOWA****

Unless the OL and offense in general get figured out, he will never reach his full potential in an Iowa uniform.
Are you kidding me? Look at our O line recruits over the past few years. We are set up to do very very well! If they even remotely pan out to their rankings we are going to Indy!

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Are you kidding me? Look at our O line recruits over the past few years. We are set up to do very very well! If they even remotely pan out to their rankings we are going to Indy!
Well, whether they pan out is TBD.

But yes, on paper and based off their h.s. scholarship offers, our o-line looks to be set up nicely for future seasons.

There’s always something wrong with Iowa’s offense so we’ll see. And believe me, I’m hoping these guys DO pan out and they dominate very, very soon.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
Well, whether they pan out is TBD.

But yes, on paper and based off their h.s. scholarship offers, our o-line looks to be set up nicely for future seasons.

There’s always something wrong with Iowa’s offense so we’ll see. And believe me, I’m hoping these guys DO pan out and they dominate very, very soon.
With these Oline recruits and mobile qb's in our bull pen I am optimistic for the future. I think we will have a nice run. Really hoping Padilla or Hogan get meaningful snaps but know that won't happen so will have to wait that out a few years until SP's tenure is up.

Reactions: Pete in LA
With these Oline recruits and mobile qb's in our bull pen I am optimistic for the future. I think we will have a nice run. Really hoping Padilla or Hogan get meaningful snaps but know that won't happen so will have to wait that out a few years until SP's tenure is up.
Is Hogan considered mobile? I recall he’s more in the mold of Spencer.

Where are you getting mobile QBs? Padilla definitely isn’t what I would consider mobile and Duece didn’t show much for wheels in his highlights.

if by recent you only mean 2017. Beathard could certainly move when he had the chance.
I agree. In the last five years it has been bad.

That said, Beathard wasn’t as elusive as Padilla appears to be.

Padilla looks to be more elusive than anybody Iowa has had since Tate. Not the magician Tate was, but better than anybody since.

That's the signing day correct! Otherwise it made me a little nervous.Really excited about this kid he runs like Derrick Henry probably a little faster than Derrick.

and damn, the kid is built

maybe, finally(??), running backs are noticing that it might be a good idea to come to Iowa & run behind the Iowa offensive line.....and win a National Championship for @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset as well!!!

I agree. In the last five years it has been bad.

That said, Beathard wasn’t as elusive as Padilla appears to be.

Padilla looks to be more elusive than anybody Iowa has had since Tate. Not the magician Tate was, but better than anybody since.
Padilla’s mobility is probably on par with Rudock. Wouldn’t be surprised if Stanley would have beat him in a foot race while in college.

• Haha
Reactions: ridethed5
Padilla’s mobility is probably on par with Rudock. Wouldn’t be surprised if Stanley would have beat him in a foot race while in college.
Speed and elusiveness are exclusive.

Stanley, Jake Chistiansen, and Nathan Chandler all had straight line speed. Probably all more than Padilla. Padilla appears to be able to avoid tacklers in a small space better. Significantly better on small sample size.

Paul Cheney was fast. Akrum Wadley was elusive. They are two completely different traits.

Not sure how a thread about Kaleb Johnson is another thread about Padilla already lol but the truth is that none of us know how elusive Padilla really is yet until we see him play more. So far he has shown promise with a good scramble to the left for a big gain to LaPorta vs. Wisconsin and another good scramble to the left that was close to a big gain to KJ against NW.

Reactions: Kadima
Johnson is the RB Iowa has been sorely missing. A big bruiser that can run between the tackles with some speed. I'm a fan of Goodson but not a fan of the current run game. Goodson takes most of his handoffs 5yds behind the LOS. It's by design because it allows a smaller shiftier back the ability to find a hole. It hasn't worked because the D is breaking through the line pinning Goodson well behind the line of scrimmage. A back like Johnson takes a handoff 3yds behind and has to pick from 1-2 holes. Its a bang bang play. The D has to guess the hole instead of contain a RB. A RB like Goodson needs that type of back as a running mate in Iowa's offense.

Really looking forward to this kid. As much as it makes me sick to say, was getting kinda jealous watching Ill and Minn RBs and how tough they run.

Was bummed when Irving chose Gophers over us, not sure how close we ever were with him, but recall he visited. He’s looking good and a Frost but Johnson looks to be the real deal.

Re: QBs and might be a bit off thread topic but have heard several times over past few weeks that Labas has been VERY impressive on scout team. So essentially we could have at least 1-2 QBs in portal in next year or so. Padilla/Petras/Hogan/Labas/May...good problem to have!

Reactions: hawkosx
If true Johnson is up to 225 and hasn't missed a step I wouldn't be surprised to see him be a factor on offense next year. Iowa sorely misses the between the tackles runner that thrives off contact.

Also I love that BF is really excited about Johnson and his size. Maybe Brian finally realizes he needs a between the tackles runner. Next maybe he will realize his guards and tackles all need to be 305lb's plus. One of the OL's biggest issues is the OG's and OT"s are getting out muscled in the run game. They just can't open up running lanes like they used to.

FGsK6UkXsAYYdgG

FGsK6VKXEA4HkEn

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
ADVERTISEMENT