ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Kallenberger discusses decision

Apr 8, 2003
Kallenberger discusses decision
Luke Feddersen | Staff

yxslbn4vjg5hobjcforu

Mark Kallenberger committed to Coach Kirk Ferentz and the Hawkeyes on Thursday.

With eight scholarship offers, Bettendorf offensive lineman Mark Kallenberger had plenty of options, but felt like Iowa was the place he needed to be. After visiting spring practice on Thursday, the 6-foot-6, 250-pound Kallenberger made it official and gave his verbal commitment to the Hawkeyes. We caught up with him afterwards to talk about his decision, his future at Iowa, and much more.

Q: Why did you end up picking Iowa?

KALLENBERGER: I chose Iowa for three reasons. One was the stability the program has. I do not think Coach Ferentz and his staff are leaving any time soon. Second was Coach Doyle and his ability to put weight on people the right way and his player development. The third was that I am close to home. I am less than an hour away and that is really nice to me.

Q: When they offered, did you feel it was a matter of time before you committed?

KALLENBERGER: I actually didn't know where I was going to go. Last week I still couldn't decide between Iowa, Iowa State, or Nebraska, but this week I talked with my parents and coaches and we all agreed that Iowa is the place I need to be at.

Q: How did you end up committing and what was the reaction from the coaches?

KALLENBERGER: After practice yesterday at around 10 in the morning I was talking with Coach Ferentz and I told him I want to commit to the University of Iowa and he was very happy and excited. As the day went on, all of the coaches I met up with were also happy and excited as well.

Q: You mentioned location earlier, but did the Bettendorf pipeline to Iowa help matters at all?

KALLENBERGER: Yes it did. My school gets a lot of their lifting stuff from Cach Doyle and my offensive line coach, Mark Spranger, played at Iowa and Coach Ferentz was his coach. Everything Coach Spranger is teaching us is exactly what they do at Iowa.

Q: Have they said specifically where they see you at in college along the offensive line?

KALLENBERGER: Offensive Tackle.

Q: What are you at height/weight wise and what do you want to weigh before the high school season begins?

KALLENBERGER: I am 6-foot-6, 250 pounds and I would like to be 260 pounds by the season

Q: The Class of 2017 already has a number of in-state commitments. How has that bond been with those other athletes early on?

KALLENBERGER: I haven't really talked to the other commits face to face but through Twitter I have talked to a Coy Kirkpatrick and Tristan Wirfs a little bit.

Q: What are your plans now workout wise to get ready for your senior year of football?

KALLENBERGER: I'm just going to lift hard and work on everything I can before the season.

Q: Does it make your (17th) birthday that much better knowing you have your decision completed?

KALLENBERGER: Yes it's a great feeling and makes the week even better.

Q: How much did the Iowa coaches factor into your decision?

KALLENBERGER: They factored in a lot again knowing that they are there to stay and coach me. That is a really good feeling.

Q: What was the hardest part of the recruiting process?

KALLENBERGER: Traveling to these different colleges and being on the road so much. Towards the end of it all, I started to not like the process

Q: How do you feel your Bettendorf team will do this year?

KALLENBERGER: I think we will be as good as we want to be. If everyone puts in hard work in the weight room and works on the little stuff outside of lifting I believe we will be a very good team.

A three-star prospect, Kallenberger chose the Iowa Hawkeyes over scholarship offers from Iowa State, Nebraska, Kansas State, Missouri, Western Michigan, Colorado State, and Eastern Michigan.

Kallenberger is the seventh commitment for the Iowa coaching staff in the Class of 2017, joining A.J. Epenesa, Juan Harris, Coy Kirkpatrick, Tristan Wirfs, Jacob Coons, and Djimon Colbert.

See highlights from Kallenberger's junior year at Bettendorf in the video below.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News