ADVERTISEMENT

Kamala bungles history lesson; White House doubles down on the idiocy....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
Vice President Kamala Harris bungled a history lesson about the Juneteenth holiday Monday, telling kids that black people were enslaved in America for 400 years — overstating the actual time period by more than 150 years.

“I think that we all know today is a day to celebrate the principle of freedom,” Harris told a group of about two dozen elementary school-aged children at the National Museum of African American History & Culture in Washington. “And think about it in terms of the context of history, knowing that black people in America were not free for 400 years of slavery.”

“Let this be a day that is a day to celebrate the principle of freedom, but to speak about it honestly and accurately, both in the context of history and current application,” Harris went on during her apparently extemporaneous remarks.

The first African slaves in the American colonies arrived in 1619 in Virginia. Slavery was abolished through the 13th Amendment, which was ratified in 1865 — ending 246 years of the practice, not 400.

A White House official acknowledged Harris’ error, telling The Post that “the vice president was referring to 400 years since slavery began.”

Uh... slavery began before Biblical times. Good God.

Do the math, genius OP. I spot some idiocy here alright. And it ain’t the VP…

Between about 1500 and 1900, Europeans forcibly uprooted millions of people from throughout West Africa and West Central Africa and shipped them across the Atlantic in conditions of great cruelty.

history-of-slavery/transatlantic-slave-trade

Vice President Kamala Harris bungled a history lesson about the Juneteenth holiday Monday, telling kids that black people were enslaved in America for 400 years — overstating the actual time period by more than 150 years.

“I think that we all know today is a day to celebrate the principle of freedom,” Harris told a group of about two dozen elementary school-aged children at the National Museum of African American History & Culture in Washington. “And think about it in terms of the context of history, knowing that black people in America were not free for 400 years of slavery.”

“Let this be a day that is a day to celebrate the principle of freedom, but to speak about it honestly and accurately, both in the context of history and current application,” Harris went on during her apparently extemporaneous remarks.

The first African slaves in the American colonies arrived in 1619 in Virginia. Slavery was abolished through the 13th Amendment, which was ratified in 1865 — ending 246 years of the practice, not 400.

A White House official acknowledged Harris’ error, telling The Post that “the vice president was referring to 400 years since slavery began.”

Can I ask what you have against this holiday?

Do the math, genius OP. I spot some idiocy here alright. And it ain’t the VP…

Between about 1500 and 1900, Europeans forcibly uprooted millions of people from throughout West Africa and West Central Africa and shipped them across the Atlantic in conditions of great cruelty.

history-of-slavery/transatlantic-slave-trade

Oh, so we're talking about the transatlantic slave trade... not slavery in America... not slavery throughout history... but only this tiny slice of time in the eons of human civilization....

Is the VP talking about slavery on the North American continent or slavery in the USA? On the continent, I would agree with ~400 years. Slavery in the USA ran from 1776-1865, 89 years.

Is the VP talking about slavery on the North American continent or slavery in the USA? On the continent, I would agree with ~400 years. Slavery in the USA ran from 1776-1865, 89 years.
I got news, slavery on the continent had been occurring long before Europeans first set foot on this side of the Atlantic. Tribes all over the continent were participating.

Indigenous slavery long predated the arrival of Europeans in the Americas. As far back as we can peer into pre-Contact monuments, codices, and archaeological evidence as well as the earliest European accounts, we learn about Indigenous Americans enslaving one another. The Maya and Aztec took captives to use as sacrificial victims, the Iroquois waged “mourning wars” on neighbors to avenge and replace their dead, Native groups along the North Pacific Coast finalized elite marriages by exchanging enslaved people, and so on.
https://americanindian.si.edu/sites/1/files/pdf/seminars-symposia/the-other-slavery-perspective.pdf

As others said, slavery has existed throughout all of human history. A nearly world-wide anti-slavery movement is a small and very recent history.

Oh, so we're talking about the transatlantic slave trade... not slavery in America... not slavery throughout history... but only this tiny slice of time in the eons of human civilization....
Human civilization? Eons? Are you self aware?

Reactions: HawkMD
“TransAtlantic” would suggest the America’s were involved, though...that would include South America, Central America and the Caribbean islands...
Did Harris “gaff” here....probably...but honestly Trad, it’s a very small gaff. Will you point out the gaffs made in your side of the aisle, too? Not the lies...just the mistakes.

It's not the facts or the truth that matters, it's how it makes you feel. It's the story of why we need to excuse crime, lies and political incompetence, it's because of 400+ years of slavery that ended 157 years ago. We must divide Americans by race, religion, age, gender, that's the point.

It's not the facts or the truth that matters, it's how it makes you feel. It's the story of why we need to excuse crime, lies and political incompetence, it's because of 400+ years of slavery that ended 157 years ago. We must divide Americans by race, religion, age, gender, that's the point.
It's definitely not the facts or the truth that matters to you and your ilk.

Do you believe that the end of slavery in our country should or should not be celebrated?

Do you believe that the end of slavery in our country should or should not be celebrated?
Immediately after the end of slavery I believe celebration was called for but after 157 years, I think we hopefully learned from and will remember slavery, but celebrated, I don't know. Do we celebrate the end of the Holocaust every year or the regime of Paul Pot or do we try and learn from them?

Immediately after the end of slavery I believe celebration was called for but after 157 years, I think we hopefully learned from and will remember slavery, but celebrated, I don't know. Do we celebrate the end of the Holocaust every year or the regime of Paul Pot or do we try and learn from them?
We still celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas. Have those been around longer than 157 years?

Reactions: SoFla-Hawkeye
Kinda like The 4th of July?? Understand abby, "juneteenth" is The 4th of July for blacks.

Reactions: SoFla-Hawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT