ADVERTISEMENT

Kamala Harris and the lack of sexist commentary

Colonoscopy

HB Legend
Feb 20, 2022
Saint Louis, Mo
Great evidence of how far we've come. There is virtually no sexist stuff directed towards her in a serious manner. Even the trolls generally don't go there.

I'd like to think it's because nobody really thinks being a woman is a very important factor or qualification but I have to think it's because:

A) Harris isn't campaigning on being a female candidate at all so it limits the number of times her gender comes up. It didn't exactly work for Hillary.
B) Republicans are so damaged by Roe v. Wade being overturned they don't want to give women any more reasons to hate them and vote against them.

I'm glad it's basically an afterthought, though.

I'd like to think it's because nobody really thinks being a woman is a very important factor or qualification but I have to think it's because:

A) Harris isn't campaigning on being a female candidate at all so it limits the number of times her gender comes up. It didn't exactly work for Hillary.
B) Republicans are so damaged by Roe v. Wade being overturned they don't want to give women any more reasons to hate them and vote against them.

No, I think the consideration has been intellectualized across the masses. You know, what feminists were pining for way back when.

That's progress.

There may be some lizard brain stuff (i.e. almost all CEOs are tall) working against female candidates, but not intellectual at any significant level.

It's there, but I do agree that it's not as tolerated as it was a couple decades ago.
You could go out to Twitter and find it easily enough in the online muck. But it doesn't really circulate in serious politics. Because nobody much seriously believes in the argument. We're much more driven by party affiliation and winning at all costs than identity

Reactions: Jerome Silberman
You could go out to Twitter and find it easily enough in the online muck. But it doesn't really circulate in serious politics. Because nobody much seriously believes in the argument. We're much more driven by party affiliation and winning at all costs than identity

You can also listen to speeches by the GOP's nominees for POTUS/VP and pick up plenty of misogyny, at least before their latest internal polling told them that it turns out nobody decent puts up with that sh!t anymore.

IMO, we're witnessing a mass generational shift of cultural norms. Since the boomer generation took on civil rights each generation has been less tolerant of even hearing homophobic, misogynistic, racist, transphobic or ableist let alone believing/propagating that nonsense.

Gen Z and Alpha are so near ubiquitous on this subject that it's a nonstarter in almost every situation, including areas that older Americans do tolerate it.

Reactions: Ree4
Great evidence of how far we've come. There is virtually no sexist stuff directed towards her in a serious manner. Even the trolls generally don't go there.
How would you categorize

Donald Trump Posts Alanis Morissette Parody Accusing Kamala Harris of Getting 'Down on Her Knees' to Earn Nomination in 2024 Election​

Reactions: Ree4 and 3boysmom
How many male candidates get accused of sleeping their way to the top? I don't think they will try to make a direct case of "She can't be president because she's a woman/black/indian" but they will definitely take shots at those areas.

How would you categorize

Donald Trump Posts Alanis Morissette Parody Accusing Kamala Harris of Getting 'Down on Her Knees' to Earn Nomination in 2024 Election​

Thats the "virtually none" part and not the "sexist" part...

Sleeping her way to the top has been a theme, but perhaps we should be happy a non-news channel isn't running with it?

Edit - but wait, if he slips more in the polls, I'd bet he will lean more into it.

It's refreshing indeed. Nice to see the more serious ones focus more on her stupidity and insane policy stances, along with her ability to hide from interviews her entire first month. And not the fact that she is a woman of color who was placed there simply because she's a woman of color. We've come a long way.

It's refreshing indeed. Nice to see the more serious ones focus more on her stupidity and insane policy stances, along with her ability to hide from interviews her entire first month. And not the fact that she is a woman of color who was placed there simply because she's a woman of color. We've come a long way.

Alternative facts. Neato!

Reactions: Ree4
they tried with the whole "slept her way to the top" thing

but basing that on one relationship 40 years ago probably doesn't play well outside the super-dedicated trump supporters

edit to add: they've also been referring to her as "the ho" (i guess because it rhymes with "joe") for the past 4 years.

so they've been trying...it just isn't landing like it used to

Exactly, Harris is campaigning on the future, not the past and thats what the voter is looking for. Nobody knows what will happen tomorrow, but we all know what happened in the past.

Reactions: BGHAWK
There's been plenty here from certain posters about who she's dated and how she's slept her way to the top.

How many male candidates get accused of sleeping their way to the top? I don't think they will try to make a direct case of "She can't be president because she's a woman/black/indian" but they will definitely take shots at those areas.
To be fair, it's not really an option men have...

Were you expecting some sort of Kamala version of The Aristocrats or something?

Exactly, Harris is campaigning on the future, not the past and thats what the voter is looking for. Nobody knows what will happen tomorrow, but we all know what happened in the past.
Yeah that's great, ignore the now and run on the future, when you won't be in charge or responsible. The job of POTUS is right now and she has zero experience it running something, getting anything done or making decisions.

Yeah that's great, ignore the now and run on the future, when you won't be in charge or responsible. The job of POTUS is right now and she has zero experience it running something, getting anything done or making decisions.

Doesn't matter,.. If she wins, she won't be allowed to call the shots anyway.

LOL

A lot of people mask their sexism by calling her dumb or stupid when she’s clearly not. Some good examples in this thread already.
She said "Looking at over 220 million people who over last several months died." Repeatedly. At separate events. Days apart. Clearly a genius.

She said "Looking at over 220 million people who over last several months died." Repeatedly. At separate events. Days apart. Clearly a genius.
I didn't say she's a genius. I said she's clearly not dumb or stupid and there is more evidence for that than the contrary.

Reactions: funksouljon
She's not a stupid person. She's had sort of a weird public demeanor though that I still don't quite get. (sort of a spaceball)
This. If I had to try to describe the public persona, it would be simply that it reminds me of a person who just seems like she's never prepared and when she tries to bullshit her way through a colloquy, it shows.

Reactions: Colonoscopy
Thats the "virtually none" part and not the "sexist" part...

Sleeping her way to the top has been a theme, but perhaps we should be happy a non-news channel isn't running with it?

Edit - but wait, if he slips more in the polls, I'd bet he will lean more into it.
But is from a VERY MATERIAL source.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT