ADVERTISEMENT

Kanen Storr transferring

Storr had a very uninspiring SV loss on Sunday in a match he was expected to win and should have. I am guessing the coaches gave him some "strong coaching" and it may have pissed him off enough to quit. Pure speculation, but a couple of bad losses in that meet looked like they resulted in some immediate "coaching" out of the public eye when Metcalf or Zadick (cant remember which one now) followed a couple of the guys off the floor after their match.

It's a tough transition going from being coached by cool Dad vs tough, strict Dad. Years from now, they'll love and respect strict Dad but some just cannot hack it. Now this might not be the story here but Storr took a step back under Dresser and co.

He beat some decent guys last year and there was reason to expect more...I thought he was going to be a hammer for you all for the next four years.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Storr had a very uninspiring SV loss on Sunday in a match he was expected to win and should have. I am guessing the coaches gave him some "strong coaching" and it may have pissed him off enough to quit. Pure speculation, but a couple of bad losses in that meet looked like they resulted in some immediate "coaching" out of the public eye when Metcalf or Zadick (cant remember which one now) followed a couple of the guys off the floor after their match.

That's pretty common for a coach to follow a wrestler off win or lose.

Reactions: MitchL
Something tells me that there is a story there somewhere. Mid-season transfer, while having a reasonable level of success...coach allows no exceptions. I sense that the coaching staff there were not displeased to see him exit.
Makes you wonder. But even if they’re not displeased, still a blow to the program to lose a young kid who was expected to be a stalwart in your lineup for 4 years.

ISU fans will label this "not buying into the culture". Interpret this loss any way you want, but losing your best starter mid season is a VERY bad look. How bad must things in that room be to leave now?

Dresser will be out, one way or the other, in a few years and another guy will have to come in and try to clean up the latest mess.

I'd say I feel sorry for that program... but that would be a HUGE lie.:p:p:p:p:p:p

That chance for a top 50 finish @ Nationals might be out of reach with the latest news from Clownville!

It's a tough transition going from being coached by cool Dad vs tough, strict Dad. Years from now, they'll love and respect strict Dad but some just cannot hack it. Now this might not be the story here but Storr took a step back under Dresser and co.

He beat some decent guys last year and there was reason to expect more...I thought he was going to be a hammer for you all for the next four years.

That may be true, but kevin was cool as hell and pretty chill during the dual I was at. I just don't see him being the tough strict one. I think he might play the good cop in that room.

I don't think Colbray has regressed. Didn't he get his shirt pulled then get bumped and stuck then mysteriously was hurt and got his shirt back. Comparing that to beating Smith I'd say he improved

ISU fans will label this "not buying into the culture". Interpret this loss any way you want, but losing your best starter mid season is a VERY bad look. How bad must things in that room be to leave now?

Dresser will be out, one way or the other, in a few years and another guy will have to come in and try to clean up the latest mess.

I'd say I feel sorry for that program... but that would be a HUGE lie.:p:p:p:p:p:p

That may be true, but kevin was cool as hell and pretty chill during the dual I was at. I just don't see him being the tough strict one. I think he might play the good cop in that room.

Dresser isn't going anywhere any time soon. He'll retire a Cyclone. He will be successful, just look at what he did at Virginia Tech. He inherited an entire team used to a certain type of coaching.

Dresser is NOT the good cop. He's a needler, is probably the best way to put it. It's constant, it's incessant, and only certain types of people can handle that type of coaching. It will be interesting to see how this coaching staff works, because they are all fiery. When he was at Virginia Tech, there was some balance within the coaching staff. Dresser, Zadick, St. John, Metcalf. The one guy that is probably the "chillest" of them all is Zadick. And you guys know him better than I do - that is not an easy room to be in.

Storr leaving with about a month and half until NCAAs tells you this has been an issue for a while. The verbal beatdowns are not easy to handle. Take a look at Zavatsky. Remember that long break his junior season? He had quit. Now it was Dresser that brought him back, but even with a new coaching staff he was done.

It's going to take time because that staff expects a certain type of mentality every day. It's the same in the Iowa room, it's the same in the Oklahoma State room to be honest. Wrestling for John Smith is not an easy thing. Your self-esteem is challenged every day. That's where I'll give Carl a little credit, he doesn't really verbally berate his guys. As a coach, I don't even know how that's possible. I see a kid hit a swing single wrong and I lose it. I could only imagine what I would say if winning wrestling matches was my livelihood.

Dresser is a politician...one guy when he’s shaking babies and kissing hands on match days and another in the room. Most leaders are...it’s how the sausage gets made.

I don't know how good Storr really is, but one disgruntled kid isn't the be-all end-all for any program IMO. Different strokes for different folks.

Reactions: roeisele
I don't know how good Storr really is, but one disgruntled kid isn't the be-all end-all for any program IMO. Different strokes for different folks.

Truth. But Storr was their future star and was to be one of the rocks to build the program on. So it stings hard.

Reactions: Dagboi
I think there probably pretty happy with Freeman next year coming off RS. I'm sure they would take him as a walk on( who wouldn't) VT and Virginia (Paulson Brothers there) are probably in play.
Looks like Pyles read my post because he tweeted He think's Storr to UVA # paulson's 15 minutes after I posted. LOL. UVA is probably pretty happy with Brian Courtney who is coming of RS next year so probably won't happen again unless he comes as a walk on.

Looks like Pyles read my post because he tweeted He think's Storr to UVA # paulson's 15 minutes after I posted. LOL. UVA is probably pretty happy with Brian Courtney who is coming of RS next year so probably won't happen again unless he comes as a walk on.
Talking to some people, it’s the Paulsen’s who will end up with him.

And Dresser and staff are going to be fine at ISU.

Talking to some people, it’s the Paulsen’s who will end up with him.

And Dresser and staff are going to be fine at ISU.

Dresser isn't a young guy. Maybe he didn't realize the mess he walked into. Time will tell if my prediction ends up true.

In his favor... ISU fans have pretty low expectations given they haven't won a title in over three decades. I sense that many Clone fans just want a top ten finish before they die. So the bar that Dresser has to clear to be viewed as a success is really low.

What I'm going to enjoy are the piss poundings Iowa will inflict on him during his undetermined tenure in Ames. The animosity between the head coaches means Brands has a special motivation. It begins next month with, what I expect to be, a shutout.

Reactions: Jaybird319
He took a bad SV loss a few days ago. Perhaps one of the coaches went too far "criticizing" him. Dresser's quick release is telling. Looks bad on the coaches.

No offense to the ex-Hawks in Ames, but I wouldn't want to wrestle for that dour bunch.

Reactions: Mendoza77
This is at least the 3rd coach that I have heard Brands does not like or get along with or hates. Schwab, Ryan, Dresser. Is he just competitive and give off that sense of dislike or does he really not like these guys? Is it show or are people just blowing things out of proportion on a wrestling board? Just curious.
Also, how many coaches does he not like? I know he spoke highly of the coach at Edinboro a few years back. He has a rivalry with John Smith, but he has never said anything negative about him as far as I can remember. The same goes for Cael as I understand it.

This is at least the 3rd coach that I have heard Brands does not like or get along with or hates. Schwab, Ryan, Dresser. Is he just competitive and give off that sense of dislike or does he really not like these guys? Is it show or are people just blowing things out of proportion on a wrestling board? Just curious.
Also, how many coaches does he not like? I know he spoke highly of the coach at Edinboro a few years back. He has a rivalry with John Smith, but he has never said anything negative about him as far as I can remember. The same goes for Cael as I understand it.

I'm sure it can't be that.

This is Mitch after reading the news about Storr

giphy.gif

I'd say St John... by far

I admit that I have not seen Derek in a coaching situation, but watching him as a wrestler for several years, particularly during his high school career...I can't imagine a more "chill" personality than he. I particularly remember watching him in a FS match in Manchester where the opponent stuck his finger/thumb in Derek's eye at least three times, and it appeared to deliberate, and Derek was as cool about it as a kid could be.

Yes, he totally kicked that kid's butt, and I suspect that there was some extra motivation present because it was apparent that Derek was frustrated by the continual eye contact, but he was as "chill" there as I could imagine any wrestler ever being.

He is very low key, or at least he was, I don't see him nowadays, but I suspect he would be the most "chill" dude on that staff. :)

How many have left ISU this season? I can think of Dante Rodriguez Spencer, Baker, Baptist, Storr, Vega, Dewitt, and Marmlejo. Also had a few decommit from the freshman class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT