ADVERTISEMENT

Kanen Storr transferring

Between Lizak shitting the bed this season and the ongoing chaos @ Ames CC, it's been a fun year so far. I fully expect both programs(Minny/ISU) to continue to struggle. The outlook up North is a bit better because they have the luxury of being the only D-1 program in a State with pretty good high school wrestling.

ISU got Carr because he was a legacy recruit. I suspect the ISU roster next fall will look quite different because I see several current guys leaving. The road back to "average" will be a long one.

Good times, indeed.

Edit: The fact that only one guy followed Dresser to Ames leads me to believe the current HC at VT is the reason for their success.

ISU is more than one guy away from being where they hope to be someday. They made the right move letting Storr walk. I don’t care if he is the best wrestler in the room, if he isn’t the right guy he will only hold back what you are trying to do. This scenario to me, throws up more red flags about Storr than it does ISU staff.

Any chance Iowa opens the door for him and is there any way he would have interest? I see he is from Michigan- is he looking at possibly going closer to home? Would be nice to have an AA at 141 next year and Murin could/would fill in 133 nicely if that is the case
How about this:
125-Lee
133-Murin
141-Storr
149-Lugo
157- Kemdog
165- The Bull
174- Young or Bowman or Gunther
184- Bowman or Wilke
197- Wilke or Warner
Hwt- Stoll

Any chance Iowa opens the door for him and is there any way he would have interest? I see he is from Michigan- is he looking at possibly going closer to home? Would be nice to have an AA at 141 next year and Murin could/would fill in 133 nicely if that is the case
How about this:
125-Lee
133-Murin
141-Storr
149-Lugo
157- Kemdog
165- The Bull
184- Bowman or Wilke
197- Wilke or Warner
Hwt- Stoll

If Murin could make 133 he would probably be there now. We really don't need another 141 plus ISU has not recently been releasing to teams on their schedule.

How about this:
125-Lee
133-Murin
141-Storr
149-Lugo
157- Kemdog
165- The Bull
184- Bowman or Wilke
197- Wilke or Warner
Hwt- Stoll
No, Iowa already has three 41 pounders who combined are probably getting a nice chunk of ship $ for one weight. Any additional ship $ needs to be used on recruiting other weights.

Last edited:
No, Iowa already has three 41 pounders who combined are probably getting a nice chunk of ship $. Any additional ship $ needs to be used on recruiting other weights.
I disagree- We need to find points at 133 and 141 ASAP. What other weights do you see as big of a hole as those 2 weights. Granted I think and certainly hope Happel improves, but I have been disappointed in his effort after midlands and Turk as well. Murin surprised me in a positive way, but seems to pretty light for 141 and might be able to drop to 133. If not then I am OK with Murin at 141 but then we need somebody new or somebody to improve at 133. Hawkeye wrestling should not have wrestlers we are rooting to not get majored and feel good when they only get beat by decision

I disagree- We need to find points at 133 and 141 ASAP. What other weights do you see as big of a hole as those 2 weights. Granted I think and certainly hope Happel improves, but I have been disappointed in his effort after midlands and Turk as well. Murin surprised me in a positive way, but seems to pretty light for 141 and might be able to drop to 133. If not then I am OK with Murin at 141 but then we need somebody new or somebody to improve at 133. Hawkeye wrestling should not have wrestlers we are rooting to not get majored and feel good when they only get beat by decision
Storr isn't much of an upgrade if even that then Happel, Murin, or Turk. He also isn't a world beater. So why waste more $ at 141 when we should be looking at finding a 133 and future guys at 49 and 84? Also Murin isn't going 133 this year or next year.

Reactions: moosemonster
When Storr took second at the Schultz Invite he looked tougher than heck. Hope he finds a college that he can fit in at.

Storr isn't much of an upgrade if even that then Happel, Murin, or Turk. He also isn't a world beater. So why waste more $ at 141 when we should be looking at finding a 133 and future guys at 49 and 84? Also Murin isn't going 133 this year or next year.
Agree. Can't throw money at yet another 141-pounder not ranked in the top 10 and hope they magically morph into one NCAA champ.

The lesson of Spencer Lee: if you really want a fast car, buy a Ferrari, not three Toyotas.

You might be right about Murin- he is pretty lengthy at 5-8 to get down to 133. I agree 133 is priority and 184 for the future. There is no reason we shouldn't have at least top 20 wrestlers at those weights and hopefully some on the roster figure it out soon. Bowman is not a world beater by all means, but boy he just keeps getting better and he battles- our 133 and especially 141 are not even competing

Agree. Can't throw money at yet another 141-pounder not ranked in the top 10 and hope they magically morph into one NCAA champ.

The lesson of Spencer Lee: if you really want a fast car, buy a Ferrari, not three Toyotas.
I do agree with this, but at this point I am just looking to get any upgrades we can ASAP. Maybe we don't need to throw money at Storr...he is an Iowa resident and would get in state tuition. Or we could just pull a PSU and pay a bunch of wrestlers after they graduate

Reactions: TarpHawk
I think there probably pretty happy with Freeman next year coming off RS. I'm sure they would take him as a walk on( who wouldn't) VT and Virginia (Paulson Brothers there) are probably in play.
I haven’t been following Freeman’s redshirt season but someone on another board said it wasn’t great of course when you have 2 guys at the same weight that can be ncaa qualifiers and score it’s a good problem to have But I’m just a wrestling fan making guesses.

ISU is more than one guy away from being where they hope to be someday. They made the right move letting Storr walk. I don’t care if he is the best wrestler in the room, if he isn’t the right guy he will only hold back what you are trying to do. This scenario to me, throws up more red flags about Storr than it does ISU staff.
Huh?? It's pretty clear Storr has regressed from last year...similar to the regression of Short @Minny . If you know about the roster losses at ISU. ..you would not be so quick to blame the athlete.
But you are certainly welcome to your opinion.

Reactions: DirkTang1
Huh?? It's pretty clear Storr has regressed from last year...similar to the regression of Short @Minny . If you know about the roster losses at ISU. ..you would not be so quick to blame the athlete.
I think Storr had people in Virginia telling him things, for him to buy into what ISU wanted from him

I think Storr had people in Virginia telling him things, for him to buy into what ISU wanted from him
You're going to need to seriously explain what the hell that means?
My guess is you are insinuating Paulsens tried to sabotage ISU.
If that actually is a possibility, our favorite ISU poster Buffy will piss his pants. ..he adores the Paulsens.

Last edited:
You're going to need to seriously explain what the hell that means?
My guess is you are insinuating Paulsens tried to sabotage ISU.
If that actually is a possibility, our favorite ISU poster Buffy will piss his pants. ..he adores the Paulsens.
I got the feeling he's trying to say Storr wanted to leave when the new staff came in and the Paulson's talked him into sticking it out til now.

Won't we already have a fourth guy at 141 next year in Duggan? Haven't heard about him at opens or anything this year.

Won't we already have a fourth guy at 141 next year in Duggan? Haven't heard about him at opens or anything this year.

Well if you want to go that far they also have Stephen Alvarez.

How many have left ISU this season? I can think of Dante Rodriguez Spencer, Baker, Baptist, Storr, Vega, Dewitt, and Marmlejo. Also had a few decommit from the freshman class.

Rodriguez is still at ISU as far as I know.

Reactions: Tiffin5
Yes, Duggan is in the same boat as Happel/Turk (talented but not phenomenal). I was also wondering why we haven't seen him in any tourneys yet. Injury?

Dresser is a politician...one guy when he’s shaking babies and kissing hands on match days and another in the room. Most leaders are...it’s how the sausage gets made.

I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. So he's an asshole in the room? Is that a fact or are you just generalizing? Is that the same way with Brands? Does he rip on Spencer during practices? I would think these days in the college wrestling world with transfers the athletes get coddled too much.

Last edited:
This is at least the 3rd coach that I have heard Brands does not like or get along with or hates. Schwab, Ryan, Dresser. Is he just competitive and give off that sense of dislike or does he really not like these guys? Is it show or are people just blowing things out of proportion on a wrestling board? Just curious.
Also, how many coaches does he not like? I know he spoke highly of the coach at Edinboro a few years back. He has a rivalry with John Smith, but he has never said anything negative about him as far as I can remember. The same goes for Cael as I understand it.
I think you can take Ryan off that list.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...o-6-iowa-wrestles-no-1-ohio-state/1047650001/

Just a bunch of made up drama between coaches on this board, created by this board. Like a bunch of school girls. They all get along fine, but they're competitors competing against each other for recruits and selling tickets. Some of the stuff about Schwab and Dresser is just stupid and WAY overblown. I'm close to wrestlers or coaches in both rooms and the some of the stuff posted is laughable and just BS.

There's a sucker born every minute.

David Carr is their best wrestler on their roster the second he steps foot on campus. He is the future. He is who they are going to build around. He is who they are going to market to future recruits. He will also be an NCAA Champion, I would say multiple time Champion, but I'll just say a Champion for now.

Just a bunch of made up drama between coaches on this board, created by this board. Like a bunch of school girls. They all get along fine, but they're competitors competing against each other for recruits and selling tickets. Some of the stuff about Schwab and Dresser is just stupid and WAY overblown. I'm close to wrestlers or coaches in both rooms and the some of the stuff posted is laughable and just BS.

There's a sucker born every minute.

Thanks. That makes the most sense of anything I have heard.

I do know about the roster losses. Each of them had their issues. That reinforces my blame of the athlete.

Dresser had a worse house cleaning when he got to VT. In a day where people are quick to coddle athletes, Dresser doesn’t morph his philosophy to appease someone for short term gain. His methods have proven successful at every stop so far.

I know it is more fun for your agenda to default to ISU being a dumpster fire though, so you are welcome to that opinion.

Also Short has been the same guy his whole career. Nice wins here, head scratching losses there. Will wrestle the national champ and the national chump to a 3-2 match. Try harder.

Reactions: tigerguy_
He will also be an NCAA Champion, I would say multiple time Champion, but I'll just say a Champion for now.
The potential is there but it is far from a forgone conclusion. This class is Gable Steveson and then everyone else. Don't see much separation between #2 and #14.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dagboi
What I would like to say about this is. Although this Wrestler may not be a good fit? It is situations like these that I believe our coaches have to be on top of because you never know.

Everyone here knows the Hawks have a few weights where we need to improve to reach the level that this program strives for. A few "bad breaks" have sent us scrambling.

Someone just added another threader about 133, a weight that we need improvement from. So with what seems like more and more kids flipping/transferring. I would certainly think that almost any wrestlers around this weight would love the opportunity to Wrestle for Iowa!

Basically what I am saying leave no stone unturned! I hope what I am saying here is a NO S#*T Einstein type of thing? I'm just not seeing it?

Reactions: wasdt21
Someone just added another threader about 133, a weight that we need improvement from. So with what seems like more and more kids flipping/transferring. I would certainly think that almost any wrestlers around this weight would love the opportunity to Wrestle for Iowa!

Maybe you can start another 133 thread and give us your thoughts.?

Reactions: IRONBIRD
ISU fans will label this "not buying into the culture". Interpret this loss any way you want, but losing your best starter mid season is a VERY bad look. How bad must things in that room be to leave now?

Dresser will be out, one way or the other, in a few years and another guy will have to come in and try to clean up the latest mess.

I'd say I feel sorry for that program... but that would be a HUGE lie.:p:p:p:p:p:p
I'm guessing maybe Dresser said he was planning to sit him out against top level guys, you know like Iowa did with Sam.

I didn't realize Storr tore his ACL the last 2 years in a row. Hopefully he can stay healthy at his new school!
BOOM..........BOOM........BOOM

1468954772830252.png

Reactions: The catman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT