ADVERTISEMENT

Kanen Storr transferring

All I see in this statement

cry_baby_1_-_iStockphoto.png

I guess the plot thickens in that Storr comes across as a baby. He's emotionally scarred because Metcalf shoved him after a match in which he probably gave piss poor effort, or at least gave the optics of poor effort.

Maybe Dresser lied about the tampering, but if you're response was "I'm already going" you had it in your mind already, and that was probably due to Paulsons being in his ear.

Either way, I don't care.

Everything was fine until WVU? You sure about that Storr? You were talking to your old coaches and everything was fine? A coach (Metcalf) confronts you about whether or not you want to stay because everything was fine? Everything is fine but someone questions your loyalty and it’s over? It doesn’t sound like everything was fine.

Can be easy to forget this is a 20 year old kid. Life lesson for Storr BUT BM should know better than putting your hands on a kid in today’s “age.” I’m sure each side is to blame but Paulson bros should definitely know better as well.

They have phone records, right? So should be easy enough to tell when he started talking to them. As for them being his landlords, I talk to mine to hand him a check or if I need maintenance. Not a whole lot of phone calls between us.

I would have kicked Metcalf in his balls and blasted him in nose if he pushed me. Then I would RUN and go home and write my request for a transfer. Forget all the meetings, Metcalf must be a POS. Flat out destruction of a program if any of its true.

If he was a cancer or suspect of wanting to leave and they wanted him out, no way they go down the tampering road unless they wanted to strike first before the truth came out. Let him go, STFU and keep it in house.

Everything was fine until WVU? You sure about that Storr? You were talking to your old coaches and everything was fine? A coach (Metcalf) confronts you about whether or not you want to stay because everything was fine? Everything is fine but someone questions your loyalty and it’s over? It doesn’t sound like everything was fine.
Are you Dresser? Lol

Read much? Pretty sure he wrote he was asking for several things to help himself that coaches should be doing without being asked. And was not getting until this incident.

Sounds like there is good reason TNT didn’t work to hard to keep Keycalf around. McD is doing a great job and looks to be in line with TNT from my view in the cheap seats.

Hopefully Kanen can find a safe space at UVA.
If you think anyone outside of a die hard Clone fan believed every word of Dresser's version... you are a freaking idiot. And if you want to classify Storr as a crybaby because he just gave his side of the story... you're on the wrong forum.

Iowa fans know the story of Dresser from his VT days. He was a whiner then and he's a whiner today.

If the objective fan is given a choice of believing Storr or believing Dresser... I think I have a pretty good idea which story is more palpable.

As others have stated... this episode will hurt ISU recruiting going forward. Only a fool would refuse to accept that.

Reactions: DirkTang1
I doubt it. Dresser, among all things, is a straight shooter. He’ll sell you the moon, but his frankness in speaking to the media refreshing
Like I said, Dresser was trying to save face. His ability to sell the moon is the exact opposite of a straight shooter. He is a bullshit artist/weasel.

Reactions: MVPFAN
If you think anyone outside of a die hard Clone fan believed every word of Dresser's version... you are a freaking idiot. And if you want to classify Storr as a crybaby because he just gave his side of the story... you're on the wrong forum.

Iowa fans know the story of Dresser from his VT days. He was a whiner then and he's a whiner today.

If the objective fan is given a choice of believing Storr or believing Dresser... I think I have a pretty good idea which story is more palpable.

As others have stated... this episode will hurt ISU recruiting going forward. Only a fool would refuse to accept that.
It may hurt ISU recruiting, never denied that.

From day 1 I've thought the new coaching staff needed to purge the old team. That is what they did here.

Also, I never said I didn't believe Storr's version. However, I think he is mentally weak and not someone I have that will ever be a top wrestler. He is talented and will be solid, maybe low AA a couple times, but nothing more. If he can't take a little verbal beat down and a bump from Metcalf than GTFO, this is a tough nosed sport at a big boy level.

Read much? Pretty sure he wrote he was asking for several things...

Following his bullet points Storr says he talked to the staff about his needs and then everything was fine until WVU.

Storr sounds confused but I guess it would be confusing wanting to be with your old coaches and having them reaching out to you then having to pretend everything was fine. Kudos to ISU staff for sniffing it out and not letting it fester.

I could have handled Storr saying he was unhappy and did not feel it was a good fit. He could have said that he did not like the staff or feel he was treated fairly. But to say,"I did not feel safe" That is hard for me to believe. It sounds like the new generations way of saying, I can't handle it and it is someone else's fault.

From day 1 I've thought the new coaching staff needed to purge the old team. That is what they did here.

Also, I never said I didn't believe Storr's version. However, I think he is mentally weak and not someone I have that will ever be a top wrestler. He is talented and will be solid, maybe low AA a couple times, but nothing more. If he can't take a little verbal beat down and a bump from Metcalf than GTFO, this is a tough nosed sport at a big boy level.

I agree with you in a few respects...He mentioned the word "safe" 3 or 4 times? Would have come up with a different word because it comes off as the caricature of the typical whiny young person. Also that he thought everything was going OK until the last match but then cites lack of film, communication etc before that. It also sounds like he had one foot out and the staff knew this...but according to him, they are the one's that forced the issue.

We heard about Metcalf pushing him out of there which is not a good look in public. Also, there seems to be a discrepancy between how ISU spun it (him leaving) and them telling him to clean out his locker and taking his scholarship money away. Dresser publicly stated he wished nothing but good things for Storr but that shows some serious animosity there if true. Also seems they wanted that schollie money pretty bad for the semester.

The media thing intrigues me. Who wouldn't want to hear his side? Did he go to Flo? If he did, why wouldn't they run it?

I agree with you in a few respects...He mentioned the word "safe" 3 or 4 times? Would have come up with a different word because it comes off as the caricature of the typical whiny young person. Also that he thought everything was going OK until the last match but then cites lack of film, communication etc before that. It also sounds like he had one foot out and the staff knew this...but according to him, they are the one's that forced the issue.

We heard about Metcalf pushing him out of there which is not a good look in public. Also, there seems to be a discrepancy between how ISU spun it (him leaving) and them telling him to clean out his locker and taking his scholarship money away. Dresser publicly stated he wished nothing but good things for Storr but that shows some serious animosity there if true. Also seems they wanted that schollie money pretty bad for the semester.

The media thing intrigues me. Who wouldn't want to hear his side? Did he go to Flo? If he did, why wouldn't they run it?
The register ran an article today talking about the media thing. Sounds like more BS from Storr. The register obviously wanted to give both sides a chance to say something and run a fair article. Storr, wanted them to print exactly what he told them, so he asked them to pull the story and went to Twitter to whine.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...ements-coaching-staff-led-release/1085492001/

They have phone records, right? So should be easy enough to tell when he started talking to them. As for them being his landlords, I talk to mine to hand him a check or if I need maintenance. Not a whole lot of phone calls between us.
Anyone else find it weird that the Paulson's are allowed to be coaches and landlords at the same time? Not only landlords but landlords of the wrestlers they are coaching? I realize they are gone now, but I'd imagine they probably didn't just start being landlords this year.

Wow, that's some serious "spin". Trashing departing wrestlers is also very weak.

It may have occurred, but I don't recall Iowa coaches reacting this way in public and to the media when Iowa kids left the program. This comes across as sour grapes and making excuses from the staff's angle.

BTW: I think Dresser and ISU fans will be disappointed in any potential penalties against the PBros, if that happens. Might be some restrictions on recruiting visits/contacts for a short period. Nothing more.

Wow, that's some serious "spin". Trashing departing wrestlers is also very weak.

It may have occurred, but I don't recall Iowa coaches reacting this way in public and to the media when Iowa kids left the program. This comes across as sour grapes and making excuses from the staff's angle.

BTW: I think Dresser and ISU fans will be disappointed in any potential penalties against the PBros, if that happens. Might be some restrictions on recruiting visits/contacts for a short period. Nothing more.
Spin what? I didn't defend Dresser talking to the media. Storr is a baby, I wouldn't want him on my team, so I'm glad he's gone. Also, I support purging anyone that isn't buying into the new regime. Would have been best to happen prior to the year (like Vega), but the sooner the better imo. Why waste time on him if he's leaving at the end of the year.

Spin what? I didn't defend Dresser talking to the media. Storr is a baby, I wouldn't want him on my team, so I'm glad he's gone. Also, I support purging anyone that isn't buying into the new regime. Would have been best to happen prior to the year (like Vega), but the sooner the better imo. Why waste time on him if he's leaving at the end of the year.
Publicly trashing Storr on a wrestling forum makes you look like a giant POS. Name calling is not a good look with 19-21 yr old athletes.
Perhaps you need to realize Metcalf isn't ready for the big time.
Maybe you need to retreat to YOUR safe haven?

Publicly trashing Storr on a wrestling forum makes you look like a giant POS. Name calling is not a good look with 19-21 yr old athletes.
Perhaps you need to realize Metcalf isn't ready for the big time.
Maybe you need to retreat to YOUR safe haven?
You calling me out for trashing an athlete is hilarious. Pot meet kettle. I'm not running for anything. These wrestlers are adults, in a public sport, and we're fans on message boards. I was in Storr's position on a D1 wrestling team just a few years ago, I know how tough it is, and how tough you have to be to live that life. He doesn't have it.

You calling me out for trashing an athlete is hilarious. Pot meet kettle. I'm not running for anything. These wrestlers are adults, in a public sport, and we're fans on message boards. I was in Storr's position on a D1 wrestling team just a few years ago, I know how tough it is, and how tough you have to be to live that life. He doesn't have it.
So Storr doesn't have it? That's almost funny. He was listed as a top five wrestler to watch coming into this season when they rated last years' redshirts and he beat some starters last year.
Now, suddenly in your view... "he doesn't have it"? Perhaps his coaches at ISU "don't have it"!

You're rapidly losing credibility on this forum. Might be time for a reboot!

Reactions: el dub
Carl owned property in Ames and rented it out to wrestlers. Don't think that isn't happening at Penn St.right now. Wrestlers coming there, for very little scholarship money: atleast they can live in a residence very affordably. ;);)

Reactions: hawkeyejr
So Storr doesn't have it? That's almost funny. He was listed as a top five wrestler to watch coming into this season when they rated last years' redshirts and he beat some starters last year.
Now, suddenly in your view... "he doesn't have it"? Perhaps his coaches at ISU "don't have it"!

You're rapidly losing credibility on this forum. Might be time for a reboot!

Wow, how quickly the tables get turned... Last year, Storr shocked the nation by placing 2nd in the Open Division of the US Open causing FLO and others to push him up their rankings. He was on a roll last summer and something has happened that has changed his trajectory. I have watched Storr wrestling in Akron several times and he is a very good wrestler and was a highly ranked wrestler coming out of high school, but his finish at the US Open gave him instant credibility at the next level. He's legit. Now, I have to go back to a post I made when the new staff at ISU were hired. I said that Metcalf being a great wrestler doesn't make him a great coach. He has not been in the ranks long enough to gain experience from all of the situations that will confront him as a new coach, so I said that the jury was still out on him regarding whether or not he would be as good of a coach as he was an athlete. I still hold this statement to be true and only time will tell and by time I don't mean one season, but in a few years we will have a better idea.

Reactions: el dub and MitchL
As someone mentioned there isn’t much talking with your landlord outside of rent and maintenance unless of course you have some kind of relationship. The Paulsons clearly should’ve known better. From what I’m gathering Storr was very vocal about the way he felt things should have been run because he was used to the way the old regime did things and with a staff that’s completely comprised of former Hawkeyes I’m more than sure the philosophy and way of doing things didn’t match what he was comfortable with. My guess is they relayed to him that he needs to let them do things the way they do them (i.e buy in) or move on since they were aware he was in contact with the paulsons.

Reactions: HKI
It's obvious the staff's conflict with any potential Storr/Paulsens contact was known before the WVU dual for it to have blown up like it did so quickly.

So... one question I have is... who tipped off Dresser/Zadick?

Without doubt, Dresser should have never gone public with it. It would have been more tactful to contact HIS boss or the NCAA without running to the media. It would have been very easy to just tell the media it was being handled internally. This isn't KD's first year.

He ran to the media to quell the concern from boosters/fans, imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT