ADVERTISEMENT

Kanen Storr transferring

It's obvious the staff's conflict with any potential Storr/Paulsens contact was known before the WVU dual for it to have blown up like it did so quickly.

So... one question I have is... who tipped off Dresser/Zadick?

Without doubt, Dresser should have never gone public with it. It would have been more tactful to contact HIS boss or the NCAA without running to the media. It would have been very easy to just tell the media it was being handled internally. This isn't KD's first year.

He ran to the media to quell the concern from boosters/fans, imo.

Maybe Dresser had Metcalf doing a bit of surveillance on Storr, and he saw the Paulsons making regular home visits to collect the rent in person. Or maybe they did a bit of B&E on Storr's apartment and checked his text messages/email.

Reactions: hawkeyejr
It's obvious the staff's conflict with any potential Storr/Paulsens contact was known before the WVU dual for it to have blown up like it did so quickly.

Without doubt, Dresser should have never gone public with it. It would have been more tactful to contact HIS boss or the NCAA without running to the media. It would have been very easy to just tell the media it was being handled internally. This isn't KD's first year.

This right here.

The register ran an article today talking about the media thing. Sounds like more BS from Storr. The register obviously wanted to give both sides a chance to say something and run a fair article. Storr, wanted them to print exactly what he told them, so he asked them to pull the story and went to Twitter to whine.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...ements-coaching-staff-led-release/1085492001/

This is what bothered me. The Register tells him they want to give ISU a chance to respond, they tell him that, and he runs to twitter to claim they refused to print. And that is after asking them to no longer run it.

I don't get why "running to the media is a problem". We just had a DOZEN (at least) threads on Patrick f****** Downey and why he wasn't yet on the team, and demanding and blaming Brands for not telling us. Things he couldn't tell us and discuss by law and rule. So, HR Wrestling board wants information from the coach, but then turn it around and say another coach shouldn't openly discuss issues with the press? He said nothing bad about the wrestler, and laid it all on coaches who are almost definitively violating rules.

BTW: I think Dresser and ISU fans will be disappointed in any potential penalties against the PBros, if that happens. Might be some restrictions on recruiting visits/contacts for a short period. Nothing more.

More likely people want the punishment to fit, no scholarship for Storr there.

I don't get why "running to the media is a problem". We just had a DOZEN (at least) threads on Patrick f****** Downey and why he wasn't yet on the team, and demanding and blaming Brands for not telling us. Things he couldn't tell us and discuss by law and rule. So, HR Wrestling board wants information from the coach, but then turn it around and say another coach shouldn't openly discuss issues with the press? He said nothing bad about the wrestler, and laid it all on coaches who are almost definitively violating rules.
You're comparing an athlete who wasn't even on the team to a coach publicly commenting on a rostered wrestler? I don't see the parallel.

Dresser handled this poorly and my belief is that there's some concern from him about a certain big $$$ booster(Ft Dodge guy?) that might not be happy with the negative press.

You're comparing an athlete who wasn't even on the team to a coach publicly commenting on a rostered wrestler? I don't see the parallel.

Dresser handled this poorly and my belief is that there's some concern from him about a certain big $$$ booster(Ft Dodge guy?) that might not be happy with the negative press.

No, that ISN'T what I was comparing. I was comparing a fanbase in lots of threads complaining that an Iowa coach wasn't giving information about an athletes situation, even when he couldn't legally do it.

And then there is complaints that a non-Iowa coach gave information, but apparently shouldn't have.

If you don't see a parallel, it is entirely willful. Dresser wasn't commenting on a "rostered wrestler," he was commenting on granting a release, and on the coaches who were tampering.

A big money booster out of Fort Dodge? Do the Deckers now support wrestling? I have no idea where you are trying to go with this. That a coach shouldn't speak publicly because of donors? Oh yeah, that is something this board will get behind.

Reactions: DirkTang1
No, that ISN'T what I was comparing. I was comparing a fanbase in lots of threads complaining that an Iowa coach wasn't giving information about an athletes situation, even when he couldn't legally do it.

And then there is complaints that a non-Iowa coach gave information, but apparently shouldn't have.

If you don't see a parallel, it is entirely willful. Dresser wasn't commenting on a "rostered wrestler," he was commenting on granting a release, and on the coaches who were tampering.

A big money booster out of Fort Dodge? Do the Deckers now support wrestling? I have no idea where you are trying to go with this. That a coach shouldn't speak publicly because of donors? Oh yeah, that is something this board will get behind.
I only have a problem with Dresser's comments if they are only half the story and he knew he was only telling half the story. If what Storr is saying is partially true and Dresser knew it, he should have kept his mouth shut about the tampering and let the University handle it.

Either way, if all coaches would just consult with the HR board of directors on what information they should and should not release, they wouldn't have to worry about doing the right thing, we would tell them what the right thing is.

My comments regarding Dresser throwing the issue to the public is what I don't think was necessary. If he wanted to get back at the Paulsens, he could have done that thru Pollard and/or the NCAA. Saying he wanted repercussions against them didn't need to be stated publicly.

Appeasing a few big $$$ boosters who might be contributing to the RTC seems like a logical reason to me because losing your highest profile wrestler isn't going to give fans a warm, fuzzy feeling.

His actions are nothing more than damage control.

Reactions: Gobblin and el dub
My comments regarding Dresser throwing the issue to the public is what I don't think was necessary. If he wanted to get back at the Paulsens, he could have done that thru Pollard and/or the NCAA. Saying he wanted repercussions against them didn't need to be stated publicly.

Appeasing a few big $$$ boosters who might be contributing to the RTC seems like a logical reason to me because losing your highest profile wrestler isn't going to give fans a warm, fuzzy feeling.

His actions are nothing more than damage control.

That's Dresser's way. He likes to cry to the media, just like he did on Flo a few years ago calling Brands an orange.

Regarding the alleged shove by Metcalf... is there video post match? That might give some context to whether Storr is exaggerating anything.

I don't know of there is a video, but it's pretty clear that it wasn't just some random shove in anger. He shoved him toward the locker room. The coaches want them to cool down in the back. Metcalf wasn't happy with the way Kanen wrestled and pushed him toward the locker room and told him to "get the hell out of here" and Kanen didn't like that

LOL I remember my first pre match slap in the face by a coach.

I smart mouthed my coach my sophomore year at Blue Springs. Dude was sadistic...took my down and dug his nail into my arm pit and drawing some blood. I was like , no big deal until I took a shower that night and the soap go in there.

Storr's side of this seemed fishy the whole time, the DMR article makes it worse. I know it's in vogue to hate Dresser, but it seems to me he was right here. Plus he did the right thing and gave the kid the release. He actually didn't even blame Storr, he blamed the adult coaches, who most definitely should have known better.

Storr's side of this seemed fishy the whole time, the DMR article makes it worse. I know it's in vogue to hate Dresser, but it seems to me he was right here. Plus he did the right thing and gave the kid the release. He actually didn't even blame Storr, he blamed the adult coaches, who most definitely should have known better.

According to the "kid", they gave him an ultimatum, wouldn't let him finish the season, and yanked his schollie for the rest of the semester. Now I don't know for sure because two sides and all of that but if true...they most certainly blamed the kid.

Reactions: el dub
According to the "kid", they gave him an ultimatum, wouldn't let him finish the season, and yanked his schollie for the rest of the semester. Now I don't know for sure because two sides and all of that but if true...they most certainly blamed the kid.

And according to Storr, the newspapers refused to run his story, which is apparently a flat out lie.

It seems to me like they asked him to buy in or go elsewhere, he wanted them to let him wrestle all year and then transfer....why would Iowa State do that when there are wrestlers on the roster who want to be there? I mean, the kid who they replaced Storr with just beat Dean Heil. He's pretty good and apparently wants to be there.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
The ultimatum was if you’re going to leave at the end of the year then leave now. Why should ISU have to keep wasting time on a kid that is leaving at the end of the year anyway?

I only have a problem with Dresser's comments if they are only half the story and he knew he was only telling half the story. If what Storr is saying is partially true and Dresser knew it, he should have kept his mouth shut about the tampering and let the University handle it.

Either way, if all coaches would just consult with the HR board of directors on what information they should and should not release, they wouldn't have to worry about doing the right thing, we would tell them what the right thing is.

They damn well should.

The ultimatum was if you’re going to leave at the end of the year then leave now. Why should ISU have to keep wasting time on a kid that is leaving at the end of the year anyway?

And they didn’t “pull his scholarship,” shit they don’t even really have the power to do that if they wanted. He asked for a release and they granted it.

Dresser responds: https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...nen-storrs-statement-hes-great-kid/307963002/

Storr on scholarship (of course) through the end of the year, released to everyone but B12 schools because of rule (I presume B12 rule? hell, who wants to go to any of them anyways). Even made a point to say he is released to Virginia. I haven't seen any problems with the way Dresser has handled this. I don't know how he handled Storr behind the scenes, and it sucks that the kid isn't happy with coaches he never signed up for, it is an ongoing NCAA problem.

He must have missed the SDSU dual. ;)

“We’ve moved on,” Dresser said. “We’ve got a great thing going here, and we need to focus on that. We need to start kicking everybody’s rear like we did this weekend. That’s how we move forward.

Reactions: HKI and MitchL
Does anybody know why Parker hasn’t wrestled since he beat Heil? They’ve forfeited the past two meets at 41.

Does anybody know why Parker hasn’t wrestled since he beat Heil? They’ve forfeited the past two meets at 41.
Well , acording to some...he's probably protecting his seed. That signature win over a slumping Heil looks good to officials. Every week ISU fans tout the "next big thing". First it was Storr, then Parker, this week it's Colbray.
Depends who wins an upset.​

This makes 0 sense.
Yeah, don't think the "yanked the scholly" is accurate. Those are renewable yearly, so he's got it for the school year.
The accurate part would be "blaming the kid" part. Future recruits parents will take note about publicly ripping a college age kid because things didn't work out.
Dresser is not without fault here.

Reactions: Gobblin
Yeah, don't think the "yanked the scholly" is accurate. Those are renewable yearly, so he's got it for the school year.
The accurate part would be "blaming the kid" part. Future recruits parents will take note about publicly ripping a college age kid because things didn't work out.

Who publicly ripped a college kid? What quote from Dresser could you possibly consider as doing that?

I get a chuckle from ISU fans who, for the most part, refuse to put any responsibility for this mess on the staff.
I stated from the start, that both sides probably could have done a better job and kept it from going public.
Dresser initiated the controversy by blaming the Paulsens thru the press. He should have let Pollard handle it with any NCAA inquiry and dropped it.

How did he rip him. Kid is being a drama queen. Like others said, if you're leaving then im not gonna waste another second on ya when there's others i can be coaching.

I get a chuckle from ISU fans who, for the most part, refuse to put any responsibility for this mess on the staff.
I stated from the start, that both sides probably could have done a better job and kept it from going public.
Dresser initiated the controversy by blaming the Paulsens thru the press. He should have let Pollard handle it with any NCAA inquiry and dropped it.

If you are thinking me a Cyclone fan, you are woefully mistaken. You said he ripped a college kid, and now you change to say he blamed the Paulsens, who aren't college kids, and I still don't understand why it shouldn't have been kept secret.

The staff has made a concerted effort, directly and indirectly, to say the multiple departures we're not "buying in to the culture ". That's code for boosters and fans to be patient because ISU is a very long way from being competitive. They're run off at least four guys that we know of, maybe more than that. I can see freeing up more $$$, but it's still a bad look.

The staff has made a concerted effort, directly and indirectly, to say the multiple departures we're not "buying in to the culture ". That's code for boosters and fans to be patient because ISU is a very long way from being competitive. They're run off at least four guys that we know of, maybe more than that. I can see freeing up more $$$, but it's still a bad look.

Boy is it hard for some people to admit they were wrong, even while making allegations against a person.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT