ADVERTISEMENT

Karen

Finance85

HR Legend
Oct 22, 2003

Karen

Noun:/ kærín
A Karen, historically known as a Nancy, is a pejorative term used for any 29 - 55 year old middle to upper-middle class white woman. A Karen will go out of her way to impose their belief structures on any unwitting or unsuspecting individual, once broken off from their pack and cornered a Karen will publicly berate the victim, possibly involving an authority figure if the victim is of minority decent.

FWIW, I think the term Karen is becoming overused and misused. It's almost like nobody is allowed to simply and politely complain about something without being labeled a Karen. IMO, complaining about something on a message board, or to other people, doesn't automatically make someone a Karen. Even in a business situation, asking for a supervisor doesn't automatically make someone a Karen. IMO, it's the circumstances, reasonableness, and manner of complaint.

For example, if someone parks on the street in front of someone's house, and the homeowner goes out and screams at the driver, that's a Karen. If that same driver parks in the homeowners driveway and blocks them in and won't move, it doesn't take long before the homeowner is justified in screaming at the driver.

Other classic Karens are HOA nazis, or yelling about a Starbucks order, and so on.

What do the posters of HORT think?

Reactions: franklinman

Karen

Noun:/ kærín
A Karen, historically known as a Nancy, is a pejorative term used for any 29 - 55 year old middle to upper-middle class white woman. A Karen will go out of her way to impose their belief structures on any unwitting or unsuspecting individual, once broken off from their pack and cornered a Karen will publicly berate the victim, possibly involving an authority figure if the victim is of minority decent.

FWIW, I think the term Karen is becoming overused and misused. It's almost like nobody is allowed to simply and politely complain about something without being labeled a Karen. IMO, complaining about something on a message board, or to other people, doesn't automatically make someone a Karen. Even in a business situation, asking for a supervisor doesn't automatically make someone a Karen. IMO, it's the circumstances, reasonableness, and manner of complaint.

For example, if someone parks on the street in front of someone's house, and the homeowner goes out and screams at the driver, that's a Karen. If that same driver parks in the homeowners driveway and blocks them in and won't move, it doesn't take long before the homeowner is justified in screaming at the driver.

Other classic Karens are HOA nazis, or yelling about a Starbucks order, and so on.

What do the posters of HORT think?
Are you Mainsplaining Karens to me?

Mansplaining

When a man explains something to a person in a patronizing tone as if the person is too emotional and illogical to understand.
"She got all pissed at me for no reason!" cried Ira, "Accusing me of mansplaining."
Aziz shook his head. "Women! Right?"

My aunt's name was Karen and she was a super sweet lady who never complained. Sadly died way too young in her 50s of cancer. Glad this dumb name thing didn't come up before she passed.
My sister's name is Karen. She's often a Karen.

Are you Mainsplaining Karens to me?

Mansplaining

When a man explains something to a person in a patronizing tone as if the person is too emotional and illogical to understand.
"She got all pissed at me for no reason!" cried Ira, "Accusing me of mansplaining."
Aziz shook his head. "Women! Right?"

I think you meant

Manscape

To shave or structure the excess pubic hair on a man's genitalia. In particular to help Bonerfart's rig look larger, however, this is generally an optical illusion.

Reactions: Bonerfarts
Karen..

HD-wallpaper-karen-gillan-2016-karen-model-gillan-black-beautiful-sexy-actress-vinyl.jpg

tumblr_nyzz9xSjov1qktcj8o1_1280.jpg

A Karen, historically known as a Nancy,

Maybe it’s a regional thing but when I was growing up, a Nancy was a sissy boy.

Agreed.Sissy boys were also referred to as a Bruce or Brucey, much to the chagrin of a buddy of mine who was actually named Bruce

One thing I’ve noticed personally is more customer service or other staff being rude as hell to customers. Fortunately not many, but this was never a thing before.

Probably a combination of feeling like there are other opportunities and seeing so many videos on social media they think anyone who has a legitimate complaint or question is a “Karen” and it’s cool to tell customers to GFY.

Reactions: Finance85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT