ADVERTISEMENT

Kate Shelley's Incredible Story: 140 Yrs Ago in July - Herb Hake tells her story

Lol

"The Chicago and North Western Railway gave her $100, a half barrel of flour, half a load of coal, and a lifetime pass."

Not that I am aware of, but she is a bad ass. 200 yards across a bridge with planks 18 inches apart in a storm at night using a lantern = Bad ass. That right there is the "there is no other ****ing option" mentality, love it.

I've also read the the ties were 30" a part. Think about that, you could actually fall through.

Her dad worked for the railroad and was killed in an accident when Kate was 13.

John Blair owner of the CNW RR was a known tight ass and opportunist.
Blair, Nebraska
Blairstown, Iowa
Blairsburg, Iowa

Towns Plotted by John I. Blair
  • Woodbine, Iowa December 5, 1866
  • Missouri Valley, Iowa January 28, 1867
  • Dunlap, Iowa June 26, 1867
  • River Sioux, Iowa (old town) September 10, 1868
  • Mondamin, Iowa September 10, 1868
  • LeMars, Iowa (St. Paul Junction)
  • Ames, Iowa
  • Blair, Nebraska May 10, 1869
  • Sloan, Iowa 1870
  • Blairsburg, Iowa 1896
  • Ogden, Iowa 1866
  • Montana, Iowa 1865

I see a 1976 baby blue Camaro there in the foreground (I bought a new red 1977 in college working at 3M). That looks like the UP-844 which was the last steam locomotive delivered to UP In 1944. Guessing it was making a run to a bi-centennial event in the summer of 1976. Schedules are published so rail fans (foamers) can see the steam locomotive. Going over the Kate Shelley High Bridge was an event in and of itself to foamers. Bonus question, anyone know why rail fans are known as foamers?

It burns fuel oil now. Surprised it’s putting out that much soot...maybe it wasn’t converted from coal at that point.

Blair, Nebraska
Blairstown, Iowa
Blairsburg, Iowa

• Ames, Iowa
  • Sloan, Iowa 1870
  • Blairsburg, Iowa 1896
  • Ogden, Iowa 1866
  • Montana, Iowa 1865
CNW, Cheap, Nothing Wasted.

Reactions: Herkmeister
Montana, Iowa?

How 'bout this little known fact: Boone was platted as a town in 1865 by John Insley Blair. It was incorporated the following year, when the Chicago and North Western Transportation Company railroad station was built there. The town was originally named "Montana";[5] it was renamed to Boone in 1871
Originally, the depo was supposed to be in Boonsboro, now known as west boone. Blair requested money from Boonsboro to run the tracks through it. He received the money and land grants. He then bought up the ground east of Boonsboro around downtown Boone f/k/a Montana and put the depo there and ran the track down the Honey Creek watershed instead of Boonsboro. As I said an opportunist. FYI, Honey Creek runs right by the Shelley farm.

I see a 1976 baby blue Camaro there in the foreground (I bought a new red 1977 in college working at 3M). That looks like the UP-844 which was the last steam locomotive delivered to UP In 1944. Guessing it was making a run to a bi-centennial event in the summer of 1976. Schedules are published so rail fans (foamers) can see the steam locomotive. Going over the Kate Shelley High Bridge was an event in and of itself to foamers. Bonus question, anyone know why rail fans are known as foamers?

It burns fuel oil now. Surprised it’s putting out that much soot...maybe it wasn’t converted from coal at that point.

Could be. My thought was this was one of the runs the CNW made in the early 1980s for the town's Pufferbilly Days festival.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Blair, Nebraska
Blairstown, Iowa
Blairsburg, Iowa

• Ames, Iowa
  • Sloan, Iowa 1870
  • Blairsburg, Iowa 1896
  • Ogden, Iowa 1866
  • Montana, Iowa 1865
His wiki is worth the read.

Could be. My thought was this was one of the runs the CNW made in the early 1980s for the town's Pufferbilly Days festival.
CNW didn’t maintain a steam fleet that late that I know of. Those are UP colors on the passenger cars and the E9 diesel locomotives behind the steamer. Incredibly fun picture and thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
The beautiful maples doesn't help me. But I'd guess Osage. Unless, having come from the Loo, you're big town boy. Then I'd guess Mason City. I'd also throw these towns out:
  • Webster City
  • Clarion
  • Belmond
  • Hampton
  • Charles City
I like these games ObvObv. 😊
You nailed it. Green Devil here. :cool:

Thanks for the pic! This is the original “bunk house” for The Ranch. If my memory is correct, my first year I spent in a bunk room on the upper left floor ( second flr.) of the house..my second year in the room on the upper right (second flr.) and a third year, there was a bunkhouse adjacent the main house, at the base of the windmill...they also had another second “ranch” location a few miles away. I believe this second sight is what became the YMCA camp and it was this sight that was very close to the Kate Shelly Bridge.
I really appreciate these pics Tunza and Herk...it brought back a couple of old memories...and a couple of old camp songs! ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT