ADVERTISEMENT

Katie Porter gave speech to fellow Dems about skyrocketing grocery bills, she said it felt like the first time it sank in with some colleagues

Both fair points to an extent. I still think the Republican Party has facilitated the advancement of the far right agenda more effectively than the Democratic Party has facilitated the advancement of the far left agenda.

EDIT: is that a WOB I see up there in kwik’s post?
7okB.gif

Reactions: JMNSHO
I apologize, maybe I should make the font larger, this is what I was referring to as not realistic: Let's get the Federal taxes down and let the States decide how much of this they want to take on.

"Why do they refuse to pass a single payer system?" Didn't we just cover that? The answer isn't because it fundamentally cannot work and is liberal fantasy idea. The reality is that Assembly Bill 1400 would have to exist under the other realities of our current system.
F CALIFORNIA. If you want to know why your insurance keeps going up learn more about what California has done. The next time anyone says California is self sufficient I have data to shove up their ass.

California department of insurance: "you can't raise rates here even though we are the problem child because it makes it to expensive to live here, we refuse to let companies raise rates, even though we have constant catastrophes, because nobody could afford to live here... wahhhh"

Why don't the Democrats, in a state that they control like California, implement their agenda and let everyone compare how awesome it works out vis-a-vis the 'far right' States?

Hint: At the state level they'd have to actually fund what they're doing.
Probably because too much California tax money is being sent to and spend in “fR right” red states...These “red states” are notorious “takers” in the scheme of democracy.

Working class is getting crushed by inflation right now and neither side seems willing to specifically help the working class deal with this. Dems are clueless and the GOP only cares about helping the rich.
Joe said he has all 3 branches of government

I say this, not with intent to hurt your feelings or pick a fight, you are who the dems need to quit trying to appease. Nothing will ever be good enough because you are just nor happy with yourself. If you woke up everyday and didn't have to do shit and still had a home and food you would still complain about how you have been a victim.

As a republican, we need to outcast the racist. No, you shouldn't have "freedom of speech" to hate.
This is an excellent post and summation of many of the progressives on this board. Very unhappy people.

In a two party system, the extremes on both sides will be there, the rush from both sides to get to the extreme is the conflict.

Probably because too much California tax money is being sent to and spend in “fR right” red states...These “red states” are notorious “takers” in the scheme of democracy.
O bullshit... californians need to .thank the other lower 47 states ever day their pisspants department of insurance said no carriers can take any more rate because and I quote "no one could afford to live here" if they actually had to pay for all the catastrophes IN CALIFORNIA. California being able to pay for itself is bullshit Joel.

How do the countries that the left hold up as paradigms do it? Do they not actually fund their programs but instead just pretend fund them?

Do you think it would be easier for California to fund their programs at the state level if their citizens weren't paying a predominant share of their income tax at the federal level?

Let me know if you want me to adjust the font size.
That is part of the discussion at the beginning of the country. The states had their own ideas and came together and there was little to no federal income tax.

It would be easier for California if federal taxes were lower, which is kind of the point of many conservatives. Maybe it could be that the programs just cost a lot and not everything in life can be fixed with a government program. California and their citizens could be working their representatives in the US House and Senate to lower the federal tax burden.

I like the Congresswoman. Her videos going after Pharma are great.

She is one of the only people who gives me hope for a smart, ethical, unapologetically progressive Democratic Party.
Porter for President. REALLY hope she runs. (Not just a win for the country, but what a win for Iowa, being saddled with Hoover as our only native president for so long.)

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
That is part of the discussion at the beginning of the country. The states had their own ideas and came together and there was little to no federal income tax.

It would be easier for California if federal taxes were lower, which is kind of the point of many conservatives. Maybe it could be that the programs just cost a lot and not everything in life can be fixed with a government program. California and their citizens could be working their representatives in the US House and Senate to lower the federal tax burden.

Maybe that would be a better strategy for them, but that wasn't the point. The poster who I was responding to seemed to implicate that the reason blue states don't do these grand plans on their own is because they know they don't work - you know - why else wouldn't they? The fact that they haven't was used as evidence of their impracticality/ineffectiveness.

That is unless I misunderstood his point.

I disagree with that logic, because these blue states do not exist in a vacuum or in theory, the reality of the system they are a part of is much different.

Working class is getting crushed by inflation right now and neither side seems willing to specifically help the working class deal with this. Dems are clueless and the GOP only cares about helping the rich.
Wow, you’re finally getting it. Neither party cares about the middle class and down. Or maybe not after reading the rest of your posts. They’re all out of touch with reality because it doesn’t impact them.

How do the countries that the left hold up as paradigms do it? Do they not actually fund their programs but instead just pretend fund them?

Do you think it would be easier for California to fund their programs at the state level if their citizens weren't paying a predominant share of their income tax at the federal level?

Let me know if you want me to adjust the font size.
Yep. Californians send a helluva a lot of tax dollars to the south. They are a massive donor state.

Reactions: nelly02
Both fair points to an extent. I still think the Republican Party has facilitated the advancement of the far right agenda more effectively than the Democratic Party has facilitated the advancement of the far left agenda.

EDIT: is that a WOB I see up there in kwik’s post?
Is that because Republicans are willing to implement their measures at the state level, where they have political power and can’t be stymied?

I’ve yet to see a Democrat explain their party’s reticence in enacting things like government run healthcare where they already have the power to implement it.
What is really holding them back?
Fear of the consequences?
Or are we not ready for that much winning?

Is that because Republicans are willing to implement their measures at the state level, where they have political power and can’t be stymied?

I’ve yet to see a Democrat explain their party’s reticence in enacting things like government run healthcare where they already have the power to implement it.

Maybe it's because I'm not a Democrat, but I thought we covered that last night. The cost. When considering the reality of the taxes paid by its citizens to the federal government.

Maybe it's because I'm not a Democrat, but I thought we covered that last night. The cost. When considering the reality of the taxes paid by its citizens to the federal government.
I was told it would save money to have the government take over healthcare.
They should lobby for bloc grants on Medicaid to spend those dollars as they see fit, instead of the Feds.

I was told it would save money to have the government take over healthcare.
They should lobby for bloc grants on Medicaid to spend those dollars as they see fit, instead of the Feds.

That's the theory, but the theory isn't based on self funding from within the state while simultaneously still paying all of the same federal income and payroll relatd taxes. Surely this wasn't a genuine confusion you had held?

Will you keep repeating this: I’ve yet to see a Democrat explain their party’s reticence in enacting things like government run healthcare where they already have the power to implement it.

Or is that claim also based in a vacuum?

One problem with this strategy is that the Dems actually want to govern. It's impossible to stop letting the Rs burn the house down if, you know, they are willing to burn the house down.
Shut up, just shut up :rolleyes:

From the link -

"Democrats have worked feverishly on more plans to tackle record price hikes: Speaker Nancy Pelosi is pushing to vote on a gas-prices package before Memorial Day. Members are holding town halls to tout their work on a manufacturing bill to help supply chain snags. State officials have proposed rebate checks for gas and slashing grocery taxes."

This should have been done a YEAR AGO! Wtf

That's the theory, but the theory isn't based on self funding from within the state while simultaneously still paying all of the same federal income and payroll relatd taxes. Surely this wasn't a genuine confusion you had held?

Will you keep repeating this: I’ve yet to see a Democrat explain their party’s reticence in enacting things like government run healthcare where they already have the power to implement it.

Or is that claim also based in a vacuum?
I hadn’t seen the argument proffered from any CA politicians that federal taxes were stopping CA from implementing government run healthcare.
Their reps and Senators need to push for block grants to return that money to state control while we fight to get those federal taxes rescinded.

I hadn’t seen the argument proffered from any CA politicians that federal taxes were stopping CA from implementing government run healthcare.
Their reps and Senators need to push for block grants to return that money to state control while we fight to get those federal taxes rescinded.

That's like your opinion on the most effective strategy, man. I also didn't realize your claim was specific to CA politicians. I thought you were trying to totally own message board posters with your ironclad logic that no one could address. You must be tired of all that winning.

That's like your opinion on the most effective strategy, man.
You suggested the federal tax bite was the impediment.
I’m explaining how they can get that money back to spend as they see fit.

. I also didn't realize your claim was specific to CA politicians. I thought you were trying to totally own message board posters with your ironclad logic that no one could address. You must be tired of all that winning.
I was specific to states that Democrats comfortably control. Where the GOP can’t be pointed to as the roadblock.

We could talk about Vermont.
They passed a ‘single payer’ in 2011, but scrapped it in 2014 when they decided it would be too expensive.

You suggested the federal tax bite was the impediment.
I’m explaining how they can get that money back to spend as they see fit.

I was specific to states that Democrats comfortably control. Where the GOP can’t be pointed to as the roadblock.

We could talk about Vermont.
They passed a ‘single payer’ in 2011, but scrapped it in 2014 when they decided it would be too expensive.

Yeah, my bad. Like I said I thought your challenge on a message board was to message board posters.

Hint: You might be posing your challenge in the wrong venue if you want elected politicians from specific states to explain their reticence in in enacting things like government run healthcare where they already have the power to implement it.

It doesn't matter what the GOP thinks right now. Dems are in control. It will take Dems recognizing not only the problem, but the underlying cause. The latter won't happen, because doing so is contrary to their policies.

Are you serious with those questions???? Ask those questions if the democrats TRULY have the government. McConnell wants nothing to pass because he knows it will hurt his donors. I'm with you when the democrats actually run things and it fails.

Are you serious with those questions???? Ask those questions if the democrats TRULY have the government. McConnell wants nothing to pass because he knows it will hurt his donors. I'm with you when the democrats actually run things and it fails.

Those questions are not for you, they are for the politicians in specific states. Plus, he's talking about the state level as opposed to the federal level, meaning McConnel is irrelevant.

I think you picked up this conversation in the middle and missed that we were discussing state governments, several of which the Democrats possess legislative majorities and the governor’s office.

ADVERTISEMENT