ADVERTISEMENT

KC Sporting Game, Kinnick Take Notes

Urohawk

HR Heisman
Sep 30, 2001
Dynamic music, fireworks, constantly running videos on the screen, PA Announcer actually making relevant announcements, chanting crowd, and most of all an exciting environment.

Results: packed house and everyone is in their seats 10 minutes before game time.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Sounds fun, we're going to get to a game this year hopefully. Soccer fans in general tend to be louder at games than football fans.

Originally posted by Urohawk:
Dynamic music, fireworks, constantly running videos on the screen, PA Announcer actually making relevant announcements, chanting crowd, and most of all an exciting environment.

Results: packed house and everyone is in their seats 10 minutes before game time.

Common, its a soccer game. Not much else for them to do tailgating once they finish their Starbucks Java Chip Frappuccino and 2 Fuzzy Navel wine coolers.

I've been to a KC Sporting game and had a lot of fun. They do a nice job of making it fun and the fans really turn out for the games.

Of course, they sell beer there, which helps.

Originally posted by Urohawk:

What? You mean "The University of Iowa, along with Necker's Jewelry, Charley's Philly Steaks, and Premiere Automotive welcomes back Jane Smith to Historic Kinnick Stadium today. Jane was a senior captain and letterwinning member of the 1971 Women's Foosball team that finished in 22nd place at the NCAA championships in Carbondale, Illinois that year, the best ever finish by an Iowa Foosball team!!! Please give a warm welcome back to Historic Kinnick Stadium to Jane Smith, her husband Earl, their son Colby and his wife Ally, their daughter Mattie and her husband Colton James along with their children Bobby James and Julie James, and Jane's 3 cats!" is not relevant to the football game??

I made this claim last year and got laughed off the board. Sporting games are a ton of fun. For me anyway.

If you've ever spent any meaningful amount of time overseas, one has to be amused in the irony that soccer is seen as high brow and elitist in the US

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:

Common, its a soccer game. Not much else for them to do tailgating once they finish their Starbucks Java Chip Frappuccino and 2 Fuzzy Navel wine coolers.
Go sit in the supporter section of any MLS game and tell me if you still believe this crap.

Originally posted by wondergrape:

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:

Go sit in the supporter section of any MLS game and tell me if you still believe this crap.
It was a joke boys, relax.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Been saying this for many years when I had season tickets ... the Iowa stadium announcer is horrible. Always made me think he should be calling bingo. The stadium announcer can make a huge difference .. and for the life of me we have a guy more along the lines of a lounge singer ... The line that used to agitate the heck of me ... "Be kind to your neighbors and treat them like you would like to be treated ..." Holy cow ... It's embarassing ... Sounds like we are on the set of Pleasantville ...

This post was edited on 3/10 1:40 PM by DesMoinesHawki

This post was edited on 3/10 1:41 PM by DesMoinesHawki

Originally posted by BeepBeepInMyJeep:
If you've ever spent any meaningful amount of time overseas, one has to be amused in the irony that soccer is seen as high brow and elitist in the US
Not sure irony is the word you're looking for. In any case, soccer IS high brow and elitist in the US.

Certain segments of it certainly. Like when you get up into the competitive leagues... the parents often bring in that attitude. However in most youth leagues it's for everyone. More kids in youth soccer in the US than any other sport.

Originally posted by Chewback:

Not sure irony is the word you're looking for. In any case, soccer IS high brow and elitist in the US.
Are you talking youth soccer or MLS attendance?

Excellent post. Polar opposite environments.

One thing I'll add is they have the Cauldron which takes up the entire section behind one goal (from bottom up) and are nuts the whole game. I was warned ahead of time it is "exhausting" to sit there and I needed to be ready to stand, cheer, sing, dance and have plenty of beer spilled on me (I think there's a warning on the tickets). I didn't sit there, but felt they set the tone for the stadium. Wish the students had that in em and I was just as guilty as anyone of getting there late and leaving early to finish the game at the bar

I think the Iowa Athletic Dept is doing a fantastic job. Mambo #5 gets me all jacked-up during timeouts. That song really gets Carver rocking. The football games are super exciting as well. I love doing the Burrito Lift and smiling at the Delta Smile Cam! It's such crazy and wild fun!

I live in the UK and what college kids say in Kinnick is high society compared to what I've heard children shout and chant at soccer games.

Originally posted by Hawk and Awe:
Excellent post. Polar opposite environments.

One thing I'll add is they have the Cauldron which takes up the entire section behind one goal (from bottom up) and are nuts the whole game. I was warned ahead of time it is "exhausting" to sit there and I needed to be ready to stand, cheer, sing, dance and have plenty of beer spilled on me (I think there's a warning on the tickets). I didn't sit there, but felt they set the tone for the stadium. Wish the students had that in em and I was just as guilty as anyone of getting there late and leaving early to finish the game at the bar
Interesting, considering that one of the biggest "excuses" for student attendance (lack of) is the poor seating. I think this further shows that location is not anywhere near the top of "issues" in regards to poor student attendance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT