ADVERTISEMENT

KCJJ a.m. - Iowa City radio

PlyHawk

Scout Team
Dec 2, 2021
The Captain and Anthony was an amusing early morning show. Is Captain Steve (Steve Bridges) still around? Does anybody still listen to that a/m station?

Who could forget when all of the Iowa Football broadcasts went to Learfield Sports, who what did that rogue DJ Capt. Steve do? Make HQ's at some Iowa City bar on gameday and call the game from the television!

The Captain and Anthony was an amusing early morning show. Is Captain Steve (Steve Bridges) still around? Does anybody still listen to that a/m station?

Who could forget when all of the Iowa Football broadcasts went to Learfield Sports, who what did that rogue DJ Capt. Steve do? Make HQ's at some Iowa City bar on gameday and call the game from the television!
I won a contest and did the call for the ISU game. It was at Grizzlies.

Tried listening to the whole David Porter interview and the radio station that day and found it to be really low class radio. Have been around places before, that have it on and just always felt it was background noise at best. Coe College had a radio station that was crazy good back in the day even with some political slant to it. A.M. radio used to be the best.

Tried listening to the whole David Porter interview and the radio station that day and found it to be really low class radio. Have been around places before, that have it on and just always felt it was background noise at best. Coe College had a radio station that was crazy good back in the day even with some political slant to it. A.M. radio used to be the best.
I enjoy casually listening to KCJJ as it's really the only Iowa City boots on the ground radio station. However, their sports interviews are brutally painful to listen to. Leading questions, Fandom, stammering and stuttering with no clue what their next question is. Kudos to them for trying I guess.

It's just not worth it. No one discusses politics anymore. They argue them. No concepts like taxation specifics and such, just labels and ideologies.
And nobody ever changed another person's mind. Never. Radio and internet are forums for people who want a podium for their fantasy to come true, of being a Congressman or Senator or even President. Not going to happen Mike from Coralville.

Yes there show is still around.

Capt. and Jim Hunter. Tommy Lang still there as well. They do a MWF sports show with Harty. The station still has some bright spots but the last few years has been all politics all of the time.
Cool station. Local like "hens" teeth. Yo Pray for Surf huh? Go Hawks...

KFMH was the precursor to KCJJ, they were based out of Muscatine. Great FM station that played a myriad of music, my fav was blue Friday which was all blues all day.

www.99pluskfmh.com

edit to correct link.
Yeah, the Muscatine station was nothin' but the truth. Used to hear in-studio shows from Catfish Keith once or twice a month. Great stuff.

Last edited:
Who really cares about peoples political beliefs. We are here to talk Iowa Athletics. I could give a crap if someone is a liberal or a conservative. We are all Americans and hopefully Hawkeye fans. This country was way better off when it wasn't so dang divided into camps of us vs them. If you want to be political take it to a political board which typically just turns into an echo chamber of people only talking to people they agree with because they lack the knowledge and civility to have healthy conversations anymore about things that truly matter.

ADVERTISEMENT