ADVERTISEMENT

Keegan and Kris: legacy, family, and Chris Street

May 17, 2021
A season of achievements and family and a young team, but a painful loss today, an early exit, and SO much remaining left to prove.

the negativity and blame projecting on this board is pathetic. We should be understanding and grateful. Those in the Hawkeye family, that is.

Keegan wasn’t getting very much respect today from any of the announcers. I remember one of them saying he’s like Paul pierce but “lacks the athleticism“. that statement really pissed me off. But then again, today only, there maybe was somewhat of a lack of athleticism, passion, intensity, and the kind of killer instinct that makes Kobe and Jordan and LeBron so great. And why each of those legendary players left a forever legacy at the programs which they turned around into world champions.

Keegan could and should do what is best for him, and he could decide that’s cashing out and leaving town as soon as possible…

…or he could decide that the legacy he wants to leave is not only about the money.

He’s only a sophomore and he still has a lot to prove, didn’t get as much respect as he probably deserved this year even though he’s still very young, and there are a lot of arguments for why he would want to stay one more year.

After the big 10 championship he talked about taking the Iowa program to a new level, and definitely the championship was an indication of what it could be like, but he and his family cannot look in the mirror and say that he and his team have raised the program to a new level yet unless and until they go deep into the NCAA tournament.

Iowa has won the Big Ten tournament twice before, and embarrassingly squandered opportunities in the NCAA tournament, so in essence, as a program, they are back to square one.

They haven’t proven a single thing in March madness since the 90s, the era when Kenyon Murray was on the court. And I don’t even think the team that Kenyon was on achieved nearly its full potential. How could it? Certainly the loss of Chris Street was tragic and colossal in so many ways. He died in January of his junior year and it tore the heart right out of that team in the middle of its season, And he didn’t even have a senior year. Even still, with just 2.5 seasons to play, Street held records for decades.

For whatever reason, Keegan and Kris collectively had one of if not the worst game all year, and each of them has to decide whether this is how they want to go out, or if they want to truly be able to say for the rest of their lives that they’ve taken this program to an entirely new level.

I’ve heard them say publicly several times that their ultimate goal is exactly that.

The only possible risk is a career ending injury, which is exceedingly rare, but the upside is significantly improving draft stock and exposure and recognition individually, as well as their legacy. The benefits of staying can outweigh the costs even monetarily, but the benefits that are beyond money are invaluable and so much more enduring than a big payout.

everything depends on how they and their family want to see themselves in the future. Will Keegan or Kris be like LeBron and “take their talents to Miami“? (No they wouldn’t be so dramatic and ungrateful, that’s for sure. They have so much more class and humility, but they could leave early.)

Or will they be like Chris Street as a person and player, continue his passion and commitment, a young man who was forced to “leave early”, and choose the uncommon and unexpected path and take this family-focused program to an entirely new level, and leave a legacy every minute of their amazing lives?

So much potential. So much left to prove.

So grateful and respectful of the entire Murray family. Hawkeyes forever. Amazing people.

We should support them whatever they decide though. Nothing but admiration for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hendy hawk
Heard former Iowa assistant coach and former wisconsin assistant, as well as coach Matt gatens, speculating about the higher possibility of Keegan staying due to the way this season ended and playing with Kris one more year.

conventional wisdom is avoiding injury risk though. No idea if NIL impacts any of this.

seems like it’s always been more than just about money for the Murray family though.

Keegan Murray scored 821 points this year for
the Hawkeyes and was a consensus All-American.
If he returns for his Junior year, then he makes
Iowa a better team next season. Sometimes life
is not all about money, but taking satisfaction in
your college basketball career.

Reactions: Hendy hawk

While logic says he is gone (I would leave, personally), my heart is hoping that he stays another year.

But most of the time it’s not haha! I’d be thrilled for Keegan if he stayed however coming back doesn’t guarantee a second weekend appearance.

As I get older(early 50's) you become much more aware that things end and they don't come back. If Keegan loves playing college ball and always had a dream of being a Hawkeye live it until it is no longer the dream, or you have a bigger one. My advice is do what makes you happy because once you turn the page, you don't get to flip it back.

Exactly, the world tells you that you are a failure if you are not a millionaire
As you said sometimes it's not about the money but life experiences that make that
life a good one for you not the world.
Good luck Kegan in whatever you choose

Reactions: LuteHawk
ADVERTISEMENT