ADVERTISEMENT

****Keegan goes #4 to the Sacramento Kings****

Keegan and Kevin Durant.

FV_S0mIWYAAiQMa

here is his post draft coverage.

Reminder: this is Matt George, Sports Producer & Reporter at ABC10 (KXTV) in Sacramento. He is also host of the Locked On Kings Podcast.

Watch here:

Matt has been in Keegan's corner all along. So many times I've heard that Keegan is "NBA Ready". And, I believe he is ready. Some fans wanted Ivey, although he pretty much said he didn't want to play there. And, the point Matt made about Ivey needing time to develop is a fair point in my most humble opinion. I would think that the fans would welcome a player who had a stellar season and won The Karl Malone Award this past season, and is considered to be ready to play and contribute. Ivey, after being picked at #5 by Detroit, didn't shed those tears because the Kings picked Keegan. He was emotional of course because of the high pick he received, as well as being selected by the Pistons. The fans are just going to have to accept the fact that he didn't want to be there at Sac. On a side note of sorts, the Pistons are building around Cade. Cade is the "Franchise". Will he and Ivey mesh? Will Ivey try to become the centerpiece eventually?

The Kings made the correct choice.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Matt has been in Keegan's corner all along. So many times I've heard that Keegan is "NBA Ready". And, I believe he is ready. Some fans wanted Ivey, although he pretty much said he didn't want to play there. And, the point Matt made about Ivey needing time to develop is a fair point in my most humble opinion. I would think that the fans would welcome a player who had a stellar season and won The Karl Malone Award this past season, and is considered to be ready to play and contribute. Ivey, after being picked at #5 by Detroit, didn't shed those tears because the Kings picked Keegan. He was emotional of course because of the high pick he received, as well as being selected by the Pistons. The fans are just going to have to accept the fact that he didn't want to be there at Sac. On a side note of sorts, the Pistons are building around Cade. Cade is the "Franchise". Will he and Ivey mesh? Will Ivey try to become the centerpiece eventually?

The Kings made the correct choice.

Yeah, I agree. In the end, the Kings made the right pick.

It was not a good look when Ivey stated in that interview that he preferred Detroit and Indiana over Sacramento. Before he said that, I think the Kings were still considering him.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Yeah, I agree. In the end, the Kings made the right pick.

It was not a good look when Ivey stated in that interview that he preferred Detroit and Indiana over Sacramento. Before he said that, I think the Kings were still considering him.
Yeah. Since when does a player decide who he is going to play for before the draft even begins? Hope the fans in Sac finally realize that. Personally, I was hoping Keegan went 5th to Detroit, but since he's going to Sac, I'm excited to see Sabonis and Keegan running pick and rolls for each other. :)

Ivey is gonna flop. People see the speed and say omg but he isnt a great jumper like Westbrook or Morant. Shot is busted, no intuition to be a point guard. Too light to be a defensive ace. Keegan is gonna be way better.
Yep, NBA is a shooters league right now for guards and that isn’t Ivey’s game to this point. Maybe he can fix it, but that is a big bet to make with that much money on the line. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him not amount to much as a Piston and finally put it together when he’s on his 2nd contract and with a different team.

Yep, NBA is a shooters league right now for guards and that isn’t Ivey’s game to this point. Maybe he can fix it, but that is a big bet to make with that much money on the line. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him not amount to much as a Piston and finally put it together when he’s on his 2nd contract and with a different team.
Yeah, we'll see. The NBA is a shooters game, but also a slashers game.

Not comparing the two, but MJ wasn't much of a shooter in college either.

My memory might be failing me but I think Ivey was a decent spot up shooter. Asking him to shoot a high percentage off the dribble (step back threes, dribbling off a pick and taking a mid-ranger) may be a lot. He has a slow, low release.

We are hearing a lot about Keegan Murray having a lower ceiling than other players in the draft. Based upon his trajectory after high school, I would temper that a bit. He has made remarkable improvements every single year and shown no signs of slowing down at this point.

The Kings' GM took exception to the low ceiling talk.

Check these out & watch:

Congrats to Keegan!

but damn… Sacramento is where basketball players go to die
While true the Kings have the longest current streak without making the playoffs, it doesn't have to kill careers. Haliburton went there as a lottery pick and finished 3rd in the voting for Rookie of the Year in the NBA. He is now on the Pacers. We don't have to write off Keegan's chance at NBA stardom just because that is where he was drafted.

Yeah. Since when does a player decide who he is going to play for before the draft even begins? Hope the fans in Sac finally realize that. Personally, I was hoping Keegan went 5th to Detroit, but since he's going to Sac, I'm excited to see Sabonis and Keegan running pick and rolls for each other. :)
Likely since John Elway said he wouldn't play for the Colts!

Reactions: cm8124
While true the Kings have the longest current streak without making the playoffs, it doesn't have to kill careers. Haliburton went there as a lottery pick and finished 3rd in the voting for Rookie of the Year in the NBA. He is now on the Pacers. We don't have to write off Keegan's chance at NBA stardom just because that is where he was drafted.

Yeah it doesn't have to kill your career but honestly it's better for Keegan to get out of there as soon as possible. They haven't made the playoffs since Brunner, Horner, and Haluska were playing for Iowa. They just aren't managed well and honestly Mike Brown isn't that good of a coach.

All of that said I think he'll be totally fine though and I agree with picking him over Ivey, especially for the Kings.

SB NATION only gave the Kings pick a “C”. Picks after #4 we’re given “A”s.
LOL. And coming out of high school 350 D-1 schools passed on Keegan Murray. How did that turn out?

SB Nation obviously doesn't know squat. Few, if any of those folks, have ever seen Keegan play. Too bad he isn't going to a smarter fan base. Those folks must be the same ones who excoriated Fran for offering the Murray brothers because, they said, the Murrays were nowhere near being Big Ten quality players. Bottom line: Most people are freakin' STUPID.

I can’t understand why Mc can’t translate these amazing NBA picks into better recruiting… it seems like a no brainer for young kids with the right sell job …

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
And Eli Manning wouldn't play for the Chargers.
Omg watching those two crying about the #1 teams wanting them is the definition of 1st world problems LMAO! I mean it worked out for them in the end but geez talk about unprofessional.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT