ADVERTISEMENT

Keegan Murray a Top 10 NBA Draft Pick (per ESPN, USA Today, Yahoo Sports, Sports Illustrated & Bleacher Report)

Will Keegan join Joe in San Antonio?

2022 NBA Mock Draft: A New No. 1 Pick, and Full 2-Round Predictions

JONATHAN WASSERMAN

JANUARY 5, 2022

1. Detroit Pistons: Paolo Banchero (Duke, PF, Freshman)

2. Orlando Magic: Jabari Smith (Auburn, PF, Freshman)

3. Houston Rockets: Chet Holmgren (Gonzaga, PF/C, Freshman)

4. Oklahoma City Thunder: Jaden Ivey (Purdue, SG, Sophomore)

5. New Orleans Pelicans: Johnny Davis (Wisconsin, SG, Sophomore)

6. Portland Trail Blazers: Jalen Duren (Memphis, C, Freshman)

7. Indiana Pacers: Bennedict Mathurin (Arizona, SG, Sophomore)

8. San Antonio Spurs: Keegan Murray (Iowa, PF, Sophomore)​

After putting up at least 23 points in each of Iowa's first six games, Keegan Murray is back to dominating, using mostly his physical tools and scoring instincts.

He's put together two 35-point games in his last four, averaging 29.8 points over that span.

For a 6'8" forward, his incredible production has scouts talking, but it's the flashes of versatile shot-making, shooting and defensive playmaking that will help teams look past his limited handles and athletic abilities. After hitting five three-pointers against Maryland on Monday, he's up to 35.6 percent from deep while also blocking 2.1 shots per game.

f6f612ef9e8b7199e6e4b03f5cfe9e09_crop_exact.jpg

The full story:

Last edited:
Will Keegan join Joe in San Antonio?

2022 NBA Mock Draft: A New No. 1 Pick, and Full 2-Round Predictions

JONATHAN WASSERMAN

JANUARY 5, 2022

1. Detroit Pistons: Paolo Banchero (Duke, PF, Freshman)

2. Orlando Magic: Jabari Smith (Auburn, PF, Freshman)

3. Houston Rockets: Chet Holmgren (Gonzaga, PF/C, Freshman)

4. Oklahoma City Thunder: Jaden Ivey (Purdue, SG, Sophomore)

5. New Orleans Pelicans: Johnny Davis (Wisconsin, SG, Sophomore)

6. Portland Trail Blazers: Jalen Duren (Memphis, C, Freshman)

7. Indiana Pacers: Bennedict Mathurin (Arizona, SG, Sophomore)

8. San Antonio Spurs: Keegan Murray (Iowa, PF, Sophomore)​

After putting up at least 23 points in each of Iowa's first six games, Keegan Murray is back to dominating, using mostly his physical tools and scoring instincts.

He's put together two 35-point games in his last four, averaging 29.8 points over that span.

For a 6'8" forward, his incredible production has scouts talking, but it's the flashes of versatile shot-making, shooting and defensive playmaking that will help teams look past his limited handles and athletic abilities. After hitting five three-pointers against Maryland on Monday, he's up to 35.6 percent from deep while also blocking 2.1 shots per game.

f6f612ef9e8b7199e6e4b03f5cfe9e09_crop_exact.jpg

The full story:

Limited athletic abilities?

Seems about right.

Chad covers the NBA Draft for ESPN.
Very happy for the high marks for Keegan. The only thing I would question is the Pistons drafting a SG rather than a big. From the analysis that I've seen, the pistons really need a good Center, (Not taking anything from Luka). Perhaps the Pistons' Troy Weaver will spend some bucks to get an experienced and talented big man. Who knows? Either way, Luka will continue his learning journey.

As for Keegan, his stock continues to go up and there's no limit to what he can do. Very pleased with his play as well as being a great person and teammate.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Very happy for the high marks for Keegan. The only thing I would question is the Pistons drafting a SG rather than a big. From the analysis that I've seen, the pistons really need a good Center, (Not taking anything from Luka). Perhaps the Pistons' Troy Weaver will spend some bucks to get an experienced and talented big man. Who knows? Either way, Luka will continue his learning journey.

As for Keegan, his stock continues to go up and there's no limit to what he can do. Very pleased with his play as well as being a great person and teammate.
All this draft success surely has to pay dividends on the recruiting trail

While it's unreasonable to expect him to keep this pace up against better competition, I can absolutely see Keegan having a stellar all B1G season and getting mention for AA teams as the season progresses.

I'll hate to lose him early, but I really hope he has a spectacular year and makes it into the top 10 in the draft.

Seems like every mock draft has him in their Top 10

Wow that's dumb. He played his role perfectly. We already had two draft picks who had a ton of experience that we went through on offense most of the year. Hard to blame Fran for using Garza and Weezy last season IMO
Ummm...I believe the issue was that he was playing Connor more minutes...and that my friend is the travesty.

Here is the thing...if he continues to play like he has the last four games through the B10 season...he's a solid top 10...and may sneak to 6 or 8. Crazy.

I saw someone else pointed out the draft experts, "limited athleticism"...lol. What is he watching? Keegan is so smooth, he doesn't look like he's moving that fast...but the players in his wake should tell you something. He's also a quick jumper...he gets off the deck faster than people realize. It's why people don't block his shots around the basket very often. He's up and released it faster. I love his game and to think he's still got huge upside...his three ball will get better and his dribble drive game is going to be sick. Love it.

Where’s the recruiting thread about the Murray twins? I’d love to read through that one again.

Here you go. This thread should go into the Hall of Fame.

Post #19: If Fran offers those kids a scholarship he should be fired on the spot. I have always been a Fran supporter, but having 4 open scholarships and filling them with zero players with other P5 offers is pathetic and is completely unacceptable.

LINK:

Check out the GUARANTEED money he is looking at.

In the 2021 NBA Draft:

#10 pick: Ziaire Williams

Ziaire signed a 4 year / $19,907,925 contract with the Memphis Grizzlies ($19,907,925 guaranteed)

#6 pick: Josh Giddey

Josh signed a 4 year / $27,214,807 contract with the Oklahoma City Thunder ($27,214,807 guaranteed)

And after the top three picks the draft is wide open with maybe Ivey being the exception where he's likely to go top five. That Sharpe dude just became draft eligible and hasn't played a game of basketball in like 8 months. He just became eligible to play for Kentucky in December and Calipari isn't sure if he'll use him. Duren plays great defense but hasn't shown any kind of consistent jump shot outside like 10 ft so writers who are doing these mock drafts have no idea what his value is. He's been outside the lottery in a couple drafts. And then maybe most advantageous to Keegan is that the international pool of talent is weak this year. No international players have been mocked in the lottery.

Hey! The team needed Cmac to pass the ball to Luka. Best post feeder in the country!
Did one of the McCaffery's steal your girlfriend or maybe take your lunch money? Give the bashing a rest. Pretty sure everyone knows how you feel about the subject.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Did one of the McCaffery's steal your girlfriend or maybe take your lunch money? Give the bashing a rest. Pretty sure everyone knows how you feel about the subject.
I wasn't bashing anyone. Just poking fun at the nonsense that people like you pushed to make the ludicrous seem sensible. The poster I was replying to was correct, although I think travesty is a little strong given that we're talking about basketball here. There was no rational explanation for Cmac getting all of those minutes in front of Keegan for a good portion of the year, so people created this narrative that he was the only one on the team that could feed Garza the ball. It HAS to be Connor! Connor is a good passer and he rarely turns it over, but that was never a legit justification for playing him over a player like Keegan. Like I said. It was ludicrous.

I understand why these draft picks can be a useful recruiting tool, so fine to be all excited about it… but just like football I care a LOT more about how these players get us results while at Iowa. Call me crazy but having 3 NBA players on last years team and achieving nothing of consequence isn’t exactly great for Fran or Iowa. Anybody pissed off by this can substitute Wisconsin or Illinois and tell me with a straight face you wouldn’t say the same about a team you dislike if the roles were reversed?

It’s funny how actual basketball people, those who broadcast the games and other analysts, differ with your opinion. Last year was last year. Different team and different needs. But sure, do whatever it takes to make sure quite possibly the most dominant player in Hawkeye history doesn’t see the ball the way he did. If you can’t or won’t understand how important it is to get the ball where it’s supposed to go, when it’s supposed to get there, I can’t help you. But continue with your crusade!
I wasn't bashing anyone. Just poking fun at the nonsense that people like you pushed to make the ludicrous seem sensible. The poster I was replying to was correct, although I think travesty is a little strong given that we're talking about basketball here. There was no rational explanation for Cmac getting all of those minutes in front of Keegan for a good portion of the year, so people created this narrative that he was the only one on the team that could feed Garza the ball. It HAS to be Connor! Connor is a good passer and he rarely turns it over, but that was never a legit justification for playing him over a player like Keegan. Like I said. It was ludicrous

I understand why these draft picks can be a useful recruiting tool, so fine to be all excited about it… but just like football I care a LOT more about how these players get us results while at Iowa. Call me crazy but having 3 NBA players on last years team and achieving nothing of consequence isn’t exactly great for Fran or Iowa. Anybody pissed off by this can substitute Wisconsin or Illinois and tell me with a straight face you wouldn’t say the same about a team you dislike if the roles were reversed?

last season people on here were comparing last year's team to the 1986-1987 team; that team, of course, made the Elite 8 and should have been in the Final 4.

ADVERTISEMENT