ADVERTISEMENT

Keegan Murray Highlights

His long range shot looks like he has great form....text book. He seems mobile and fluid with pretty good ball handling skills for a PF.

My wild guess is that taking another step forward as far as the weight room and conditioning along with the other normal off season work and he might push for some playing time next year.......that is just a guess from someone who has no clue.

He seems decisive with the ball. Like he knows what he wants to do when he gets it. And unlike many bigger guys, his body seems to be letting him do it. Would be nice to see video of him now against decent defenses, but he looks like he could be a Big Ten caliber player in the future. I know he's already a year out of high school, but a redshirt year could work wonders for him and his brother since there won't be much PT available for them next season.

For some odd reason, he reminds me a bit of a guy that played for
Dr Tom back in the day.......:)
Except that.........he's bigger, has a sweeter, sweet stroke from range and did I mention he's bigger than Kenyon !!
Cordell best work hard in off season. Minutes might go to KM.

He seems decisive with the ball. Like he knows what he wants to do when he gets it. And unlike many bigger guys, his body seems to be letting him do it. Would be nice to see video of him now against decent defenses, but he looks like he could be a Big Ten caliber player in the future. I know he's already a year out of high school, but a redshirt year could work wonders for him and his brother since there won't be much PT available for them next season.
I didn’t watch the video but those guys play some solid competition. I don’t know about every game completion but I know they play some pretty good programs through the year.

Except that.........he's bigger, has a sweeter, sweet stroke from range and did I mention he's bigger than Kenyon !!

I'm sure there are some similarities with he and his dad....but honestly, the guy that came to mind for me was Glenn Worley. It seems like Keegan looks like he's a little more under control then Glenn....and a more structured and consistent release on his shot, but from a size and movement perspective GW is who immediately came to mind for me....and despite some peoples opinions, Glenn was a very good player for the Hawks.

I'm sure there are some similarities with he and his dad....but honestly, the guy that came to mind for me was Glenn Worley. It seems like Keegan looks like he's a little more under control then Glenn....and a more structured and consistent release on his shot, but from a size and movement perspective GW is who immediately came to mind for me....and despite some peoples opinions, Glenn was a very good player for the Hawks.
GW had absolutely ZERO outside game. No comparison between the two.

Well he had 54 3 point FGs during his career.....not a ton, but "absolutely zero" outside game is a dramatic exaggeration. He scored over 1,000 career points and was a career 72.7% free throw shooter.....so he actually had a pretty good shot. If Keegan ends up in the 1,000 point club I would be pretty happy about that.

I hope Kenyon has followed Garza's workouts and how he has improved a lot more than other athletes, because he "really does outwork them" in advancing his skills and career. There is a lesson to be learned here by all of Iowa's athletes.

Found this on Glenn's recruiting stuff...

Glenn Worley 6'8 Iowa City West

Glen will be signing with Steve Alford and the Hawkeyes this fall after
verballing to them in late spring. He is an explosive player who can
not be stopped inside or outside. He has been in many national top 50
lists and will help the Hawks in there future run towards greatness.

Reactions: Franisdaman

I just did a little checking because my memory is faulty at times....but "absolutely zero outside game" is just way over the top.....here's part of an article.

Worley's 29 points were the most by an Iowa player since Luke Recker had that many against Kansas State on Dec. 22, 2001. Worley, a junior, was 10-of-16 from the field, 4-for-5 on 3-pointers. His previous best was 20 against Tennessee State last season.

Chauncey Leslie had 11 points for Iowa.

"I think whoever's open should take the shot," Worley said. "That's just our philosophy. Tonight it was me. The next night it could be Chauncey. The next night it could be Brody. We're wide open. Whoever's the leading scorer, no one really cares, we just want to win."

https://msuspartans.com/news/2003/1/11/No_25_Michigan_St_Falls_To_Iowa_68_64.aspx?path=mbball

I saw the Murray boys play at CR Prairie live a few times their Senior year. At that time, I thought they were nowhere near strong enough to play D1 ball (at least not high major). However, they look so much stronger, explosive, and confident on that video that what they looked like a year ago.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder

Pretty good comp.

Worley probably a little better/stronger inside Murray a better ballhandler.

Athleticism and size looks pretty similar.

Reactions: perryhawk

Glenn was a good basketball player and great Hawkeye. He had a hard time staying out of foul trouble, otherwise his stats would have been more impressive.

Hell no. Glenn Worley is a horrible comparison.

Reactions: jasonrann

Honestly, they look very similar in terms of shooting style and the way they dunk. I remember Kenyon's freshman year very well. I was just a kid, but they are almost mirror images in the way they move.

The Murrays look better than Worley, who I always thought was grossly overrated. Really a dislikable guy too. Very lazy player.

Worley scored 1000 points because Alford's system of pets kept him on the floor and got him shots. He took a lot of shots to get to a thousand points. I'm guessing career was around 47% from the field, probably around 33% from three and 70 from the line. I'll bet he never saw a season with more than 4.5 rebounds per game or fewer than 3 fouls a game; had a combination of turnovers and fouls that might be the worst in Iowa history.

So right now I'm guessing the Murray boys will be much more loveable Hawkeyes. Time will tell on the quality of their games but both Murrays look like better shooters than Worley. More athletic too.

Reactions: DewHawk
Well he had 54 3 point FGs during his career.....not a ton, but "absolutely zero" outside game is a dramatic exaggeration. He scored over 1,000 career points and was a career 72.7% free throw shooter.....so he actually had a pretty good shot. If Keegan ends up in the 1,000 point club I would be pretty happy about that.

It's @HawkTex he's always wrong. Par for the course.

Yeah after I watched the clips of him, I see some Paul Pierce very fluid and has good range from all over the court and puts the ball in the basket, and yeah I got some Glenn Worley as well, long arms and legs, kinda gangly, not an explosive athlete but effective due to length and fluidity and the ability to make baskets.. Looks like he has some tools that he can build on that can help the Hawks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT