ADVERTISEMENT

Keegan Murray named Big Ten Co-Player of the Week

Apr 8, 2003
Keegan Murray Named Big Ten Co-Player of the Week

IOWA CITY, Iowa --
University of Iowa men’s basketball sophomore Keegan Murray has been named the Big Ten Co-Player of the Week, it was announced Monday by the Big Ten Conference Office. Murray shares the honor with Purdue forward Trevion Williams.

Murray (6-foot-8, 225 pounds) averaged 26.5 points, 13.5 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 2.5 blocks in a pair of convincing victories last week. The native of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, was a combined 19-of-35 (.543) from the field and 13-of-15 (.867) from the foul line.

Murray had a historic stat line against N.C. Central on Nov. 16. The forward totaled 27 points, 21 rebounds, and four blocks against the Eagles. He became the fourth Hawkeye over the last five decades, and first since 1977, to score 20+ points and grab 20+ rebounds in a game. The other four players in program history to accomplish the feat are Kevin Kunnert (24-23) versus Illinois in 1972; Fred Haberecht (29-20) versus Wisconsin in 1975; Bruce King (42-20) versus Pittsburgh in 1976; Bruce King (31-21) versus Ohio State in 1977. Ironically, the last Big Ten player to have a 20-20 performance was Purdue’s Trevion Williams, who he shares this week’s honor with at Michigan on Jan. 9, 2020 (36-20). Murray is the first Hawkeye since Greg Brunner in 2006 to grab 20+ rebounds in a game; Brunner had 23 against Minnesota on Jan. 18, 2006. Murray is the first major conference player with 27+ points, 21+ rebounds, and 4+ blocks since Kansas State’s Michael Beasley versus Sacramento State on Nov. 9, 2007.

Against Alabama State on Nov. 18, Murray amassed 26 points, six rebounds, and a career-high four assists. Murray sank two of Iowa’s school-record 20 3-pointers in a 26-point win.

Murray, who leads the Big Ten in scoring (25.5 ppg), has netted 24+ points in each of the first four contests of the season. He is one of three players from a major conference to score 24+ points in each of their first four games of the season over the last 15 years. In addition to Murray, Kansas State’s Michael Beasley (2007-08) and Arizona’s Allonzo Trier (2017-18) accomplished the feat.

This is Murray’s first Player of the Week accolade of his career.

Iowa (4-0) will challenge Western Michigan (1-2) tonight at 7:33 p.m. (CT) on Mediacom Court at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City. Tickets are available for purchase at hawkeyesports.com/tickets.

Keegan Murray Named Big Ten Co-Player of the Week

IOWA CITY, Iowa --
University of Iowa men’s basketball sophomore Keegan Murray has been named the Big Ten Co-Player of the Week, it was announced Monday by the Big Ten Conference Office. Murray shares the honor with Purdue forward Trevion Williams.

Murray (6-foot-8, 225 pounds) averaged 26.5 points, 13.5 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 2.5 blocks in a pair of convincing victories last week. The native of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, was a combined 19-of-35 (.543) from the field and 13-of-15 (.867) from the foul line.

Murray had a historic stat line against N.C. Central on Nov. 16. The forward totaled 27 points, 21 rebounds, and four blocks against the Eagles. He became the fourth Hawkeye over the last five decades, and first since 1977, to score 20+ points and grab 20+ rebounds in a game. The other four players in program history to accomplish the feat are Kevin Kunnert (24-23) versus Illinois in 1972; Fred Haberecht (29-20) versus Wisconsin in 1975; Bruce King (42-20) versus Pittsburgh in 1976; Bruce King (31-21) versus Ohio State in 1977. Ironically, the last Big Ten player to have a 20-20 performance was Purdue’s Trevion Williams, who he shares this week’s honor with at Michigan on Jan. 9, 2020 (36-20). Murray is the first Hawkeye since Greg Brunner in 2006 to grab 20+ rebounds in a game; Brunner had 23 against Minnesota on Jan. 18, 2006. Murray is the first major conference player with 27+ points, 21+ rebounds, and 4+ blocks since Kansas State’s Michael Beasley versus Sacramento State on Nov. 9, 2007.

Against Alabama State on Nov. 18, Murray amassed 26 points, six rebounds, and a career-high four assists. Murray sank two of Iowa’s school-record 20 3-pointers in a 26-point win.

Murray, who leads the Big Ten in scoring (25.5 ppg), has netted 24+ points in each of the first four contests of the season. He is one of three players from a major conference to score 24+ points in each of their first four games of the season over the last 15 years. In addition to Murray, Kansas State’s Michael Beasley (2007-08) and Arizona’s Allonzo Trier (2017-18) accomplished the feat.

This is Murray’s first Player of the Week accolade of his career.

Iowa (4-0) will challenge Western Michigan (1-2) tonight at 7:33 p.m. (CT) on Mediacom Court at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City. Tickets are available for purchase at hawkeyesports.com/tickets.
Hopefully the first of many for Keegan!

Shame he has to be lumped in with the criminal
You'd almost think with a legal case hanging over his head he wouldn't be up for awards until its cleared up, but oh well I guess.....What really sucks is this was basically a career appreciation award for him. Keegan AVERAGED 10 points and 6 rebounds /game more then Williams in the two games played. Not even comparable numbers really. But Williams hit the 1000 point, 650 rebound mark this week, so....

Williams has no legal case hanging over his head. You and a couple of others on here are completely misrepresenting the situation. Normally I've had respect for Iowa fans but you and nbanflfactory are just dipshits. Congratulations to Murray on the award but his great games were against a pair of teams who may not beat the worst Big Ten team once in 100 games. Williams played against #18 North Carolina and #5 Villanova this weekend.

Williams has no legal case hanging over his head. You and a couple of others on here are completely misrepresenting the situation. Normally I've had respect for Iowa fans but you and nbanflfactory are just dipshits. Congratulations to Murray on the award but his great games were against a pair of teams who may not beat the worst Big Ten team once in 100 games. Williams played against #18 North Carolina and #5 Villanova this weekend.
Imagine having nothing better to do on a Monday night than scouring big ten message boards to be an online white knight for "your" team. Who cares.

Reactions: topherchris20
So your saying there is no battery charge currently against him? As for who each has played, fair enough. What Keegans done hasn't been done by anyone since 2007, and his 27 point 21 rebound effort should ahve garned hin the award, regardless of who your playing.....

Keep supporting the woman beater

Reactions: doughuddl2
So your saying there is no battery charge currently against him? As for who each has played, fair enough. What Keegans done hasn't been done by anyone since 2007, and his 27 point 21 rebound effort should ahve garned hin the award, regardless of who your playing.....
In answer to your first sentence/question: There are no charges filed against Trevion.

He's a POS to push a women down over a bag of fries. Freaking 🍟. He's a POS!

Reactions: nbanflfactory
Gotta protect the sports stars.
Typically I root for Iowa as far as other Big 10 fan bases go, but after reading this ridiculous thread I hope we clown punch your yearly overrated squad in to obvilion next Friday… Just like we did in football, but worse…
Sadly, I think you guys have a pretty good team this year considering what you lost from last year… and I respect Fran a ton. Matt Painter has ALWAYS disciplined players of any caliber, so to suggest he doesn’t know the facts and does things the right way is simply asinine…

Typically I root for Iowa as far as other Big 10 fan bases go, but after reading this ridiculous thread I hope we clown punch your yearly overrated squad in to obvilion next Friday… Just like we did in football, but worse…
Sadly, I think you guys have a pretty good team this year considering what you lost from last year… and I respect Fran a ton. Matt Painter has ALWAYS disciplined players of any caliber, so to suggest he doesn’t know the facts and does things the right way is simply asinine…
Who gives a *uck if your feelings are hurt! Really no one cares what you think of Iowa and the fans. Nobody!

Run home to your own board and tell them how we are trashing a pos player. You're just PSU or MSU on a smaller scale protecting the program and players.

No proof he touched her. Just like no proof she used racial slurs on him. So.... nor has he been proven guilty. In fact, he doesn't even have any charges against him.
So she's the liar and he's not because you say so and anyone that disagrees with you is an idiot. Gotcha.

So she's the liar and he's not because you say so and anyone that disagrees with you is an idiot. Gotcha.
Never said that. Thanks for putting words in my mouth. I didn't say anyone is guilty. Not sure how you took me saying no proof of either doing anything wrong the way you did actually. Please explain the thought process? Or maybe lack there of?

Never said that. Thanks for putting words in my mouth. I didn't say anyone is guilty. Not sure how you took me saying no proof of either doing anything wrong the way you did actually. Please explain the thought process? Or maybe lack there of?
Sorry that's your buddy jindy. Didn't check to see if multiple boilers we're here to defend the punk. My apologies lol.

Sorry that's your buddy jindy. Didn't check to see if multiple boilers we're here to defend the punk. My apologies lol.
Na. I try not to play the guilty until innocent game. Not saying trey isn't wrong, but there is nothing against him right now. If he is guilty, I hope he is acted against accordingly.

Clueless little pussy aren't you? I never said what you accused BoilerN of saying either. Are you too stupid to understand no charges? Maybe it's because idiots like you cheered for and supported Pierce that you assume other programs and fans do the same for their players. Enjoy your Thanksgiving, moron.

Reactions: BoilerN

No proof he pushed her. Seems you like to view him as guilty until proven innocent? I assume you would consider the same when she denied racial slurs?

Like everything on the internet, you can't judge a fanbase by message boards. Don't get so bothered by a few people.

I don't know what is going on with him but I do think Painter is a great coach and has integrity. It's not like James Franklin, Scott Frost, or any Michigan St. coach for any sport.

I think it's cool the award was shared. Purdue certainly had some big time wins and Murray has continued to go off. I think that the co-honors were fair.

Clueless little pussy aren't you? I never said what you accused BoilerN of saying either. Are you too stupid to understand no charges? Maybe it's because idiots like you cheered for and supported Pierce that you assume other programs and fans do the same for their players. Enjoy your Thanksgiving, moron.
Wow you're an idiot lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT