ADVERTISEMENT

Keegan Murray needs to start

Yeah as others have said it’s the minutes that matter beyond who starts and when they are getting the minutes. Fran has done an outstanding job this year of riding the hot hands. Case in point - Ulis and Murray today (even if out of necessity)

Yeah he deserves starter minutes but I like him as a boost off bench too, kudos to fran for sticking with him...he just contributes so much in so many different ways. Really helped us today

Reactions: Hawkeye_Pride06
The current starting line up has been winning a lot of games since the Nunge injury last season. If it ain't broke don't break it.

As predicted after the NW game, Ke Murray' got more minutes, and would have without the C McC injury. Some guys just have a nose for the ball, which comes from playing both hard and aware of what is happening in the game-floor vision I guess. For those too young to remember, Ky Murray (Kenyon) was exactly that player; a great impact player in a lot of Iowa wins. Never had a great jump shot, the only real missing link in his game. Well, it appears Ke Murray has all of Dad's assets, is 3 inches taller and has a really nice shot. The omens indicate a very good career. Early play as a freshman does the same.

Having watched a lot of their video, I think people will like Kr Murray's game if starts to get minutes due to the C McC injury.

Last edited:
Yeah as others have said it’s the minutes that matter beyond who starts and when they are getting the minutes. Fran has done an outstanding job this year of riding the hot hands. Case in point - Ulis and Murray today (even if out of necessity)
A.It is really who gets the most minutes that really matters.
B. And really matters who is in at the end of the game.

and having fresh legs enter game is always an advantage and where I like Keegan and PatMac together...

No, he doesn't. But I want him playing starter minutes, and I think he will. That said, I would also like for Joe W and Nunge to play well enough that Iowa doesn't need starter minutes out of Keegan.

Joe's Tunnel vision is becoming a problem. Hes forcing some ugly looking stuff right now.

Nunge should not be playing over KM.

No, he doesn't. But I want him playing starter minutes, and I think he will. That said, I would also like for Joe W and Nunge to play well enough that Iowa doesn't need starter minutes out of Keegan.
This is the answer. He is perfect off the bench. One of the most reliable and consistent players on the team right now. He is essentially the best bench player in the country (ESPN showed the numbers). His stat line today was amazing, including his NO TURNOVERS, while the rest of the team was throwing the ball away all day. His minutes will be determined by how well or poorly the players who should be ahead of him are playing.

Reactions: 24 so far
Nope, he's perfect off the bench.

No. Keegan got 9 minutes in the loss to Minnesota 2 games ago. The only reason he got 23 minutes today was because CMac went down. Without his rebounding, defense and points the Hawks lose today. He was the best player not named Garza on the floor today without question. He should be playing 25-30 per game. The only way he gets those minutes is by starting.

Last edited:

Starter minutes is 25-30 per game. He had 9 minutes 2 games ago. The only reason he got 23 today is because CMac went down. Starters get starter minutes. That's why they're called starters.

Last edited:
This. Sometimes guys are better off the bench than starting. Nothing wrong with being able to come into a game and provide the spark you may not be able to provide as a starter.

Joe's Tunnel vision is becoming a problem. Hes forcing some ugly looking stuff right now.

Nunge should not be playing over KM.
Agreed, although I would rather him stay aggressive than just fall to the background and go through the motions. Also, and maybe this was discussed in a different thread, was his layup with a couple minutes left that got blocked goaltending? I thought it was, Joe was under the basket pleading like it was, but friggin espn never showed a replay...

This is the answer. He is perfect off the bench. One of the most reliable and consistent players on the team right now. He is essentially the best bench player in the country (ESPN showed the numbers). His stat line today was amazing, including his NO TURNOVERS, while the rest of the team was throwing the ball away all day. His minutes will be determined by how well or poorly the players who should be ahead of him are playing.

Your best players start. That's why they get starter minutes. He had 9 minutes against Minnesota. Who knows what might have happened had one of our best players played more than 9 minutes. That doesn't happen if hes starting. The only reason he got 23 today was because CMac went down. I don't know if Iowa wins if that doesn't happen

P
Why do fans get so hung up on who is starting? The most important thing are total minutes and who is in the game at the end when it is tight. Murray was in the game at the end and made two crucial free throws.

Because starters play starter minutes. That's why.

P

Because starters play starter minutes. That's why.

Keegan has been earning more minutes, which I am glad to see. I do expect that we are going to see minutes fluctuate for most of the players not named Garza as it will be situation specific. Ultimately, it does not matter who starts the game. Game flow and hot hand will help dictate how many minutes that players see, which is the way it should be.

ADVERTISEMENT