ADVERTISEMENT

Keeping BF is the right decision. 1 more yr.

hawkisoaker

HR MVP
Aug 5, 2011
We just came off a miserable yr of OFF injuries, to include both oline and wr. On top of that BF was stuck with a immobile inaccurate pro style QB. Goodluck to anyone trying to move that OFF.

Now we have a mobile and accurate QB, a stud RB, a great TE transfer to go with 1 or 2 studs already, a great looking WR transfer to gonl with some healed up wrs in Nico and Bostick along with a couple big bodied wr recruits and most importantlya plethora of healthy and new olineman. They'll most likely be another wr (speedster) added before its all done if things play out right.

Because of all this, and how next yr is lining up to be a good run with plenty of experience, it wouldn't make sense to burn the year trying to transition into an entirely new OFF scheme.

I expect great things and a calming of the craziness after next yr as the OFF will be much improved. But, if it's not, BF will be gone, and probably gone from Iowa.

I do not think it is the right decision but, the decision has been made. That is one problem with employing family. It us real hard to let them go. However, unfortunately, it is time to move forward and hope the new player additions will improve our performance. The over riding factor is KF’s basic mindset of conservative offense and let the defense win the game. Good thing we have Parker!

We just came off a miserable yr of OFF injuries, to include both oline and wr. On top of that BF was stuck with a immobile inaccurate pro style QB. Goodluck to anyone trying to move that OFF.

Now we have a mobile and accurate QB, a stud RB, a great TE transfer to go with 1 or 2 studs already, a great looking WR transfer to gonl with some healed up wrs in Nico and Bostick along with a couple big bodied wr recruits and most importantlya plethora of healthy and new olineman. They'll most likely be another wr (speedster) added before its all done if things play out right.

Because of all this, and how next yr is lining up to be a good run with plenty of experience, it wouldn't make sense to burn the year trying to transition into an entirely new OFF scheme.

I expect great things and a calming of the craziness after next yr as the OFF will be much improved. But, if it's not, BF will be gone, and probably gone from Iowa.

Agreed

Believe it when I see it I have given to much blind faith already. Hopefully Cade can call his own plays

• Haha
Reactions: FatBrian4Prez
If people saying that Brian and his family are being harassed out in public is true that's really disappointing. I don't condone it in any way, and think those people are pretty trashy but people being people it doesn't surprise me at all. She made the choice to marry into a famous family but it's not his kids' fault dad is an entitled, greedy turd.....but at this point he's made that decision to bring that on his family. Doesn't seem his fathering insticts are much better than his OC or QB coach coach. Actually seems like a pretty dumb dude

Brian is the QB coach, so I don’t have much sympathy for the QB not being accurate, that is his position of responsibility. Announcers and writers openly questioned his play-calling. His offense showed zero improvement over the last two years. Four talented WRs transferred out and they brought in a Division II replacement.

I hope they improve but I don’t have much faith in that happening.

In year 24, Kirk is responsible for the caliber of the players in offense. Iowa had a bad OL in 2021 (despite Linderbaum), and Kirk did not address it via the portal or even the JC route. Now he is blaming last year’s lousy OL on inexperience.

That is not “owning” responsibility for the atrocious offense last season.

Cade is not mobile. He isn't a complete statue, moves around the pocket well and occasionally picks up a yard or two when the pass rush overplays. However, the notion that he is a threat with his feet is 100% inaccurate. In fact, one of the reasons he lost his job is the other guy can run and thus brought a new dimension to the Umich O. If you are expecting Cade to br a runner, especially after his injury, you are going to be highly disappointed.

Cade is not mobile. He isn't a complete statue, moves around the pocket well and occasionally picks up a yard or two when the pass rush overplays. However, the notion that he is a threat with his feet is 100% inaccurate. In fact, one of the reasons he lost his job is the other guy can run and thus brought a new dimension to the Umich O. If you are expecting Cade to br a runner, especially after his injury, you are going to be highly disappointed.
Where did I say he's a threat with his feet? I said he's mobile, meaning he can escape the pocket and run for a few yards here and there to buy time when there are oline mistakes. Get a clue.

I've given a fair amount of thought about this subject. There were times this year that I was so upset with our offense that I wanted to stop attending games, but I went anyway.

Kirk is in charge and his decisions make or break his success and legacy. Bottom line, leaders surround themselves with people they know and trust. They surround themselves with people that share a similar vision.

What is Kirk's vision? Don't beat yourself. Play good fundamental defense and special teams. Run first offense and play action passing. When you are close to your goal line be very conservative, between the 40's open it up more and inside their 40, open it up. Get a lead, get ultra conservative to not let the opposition get a quick score. Punting is winning! Might not be sexy but he wins alot more than he loses. Third winningest coach in Big Ten history.

I'll add one more fact. Iowa has a few D1 recruits but not like the hotbeds of Texas, Florida, California, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and many of the southern states. We will always be at a recruiting disadvantage geographically. Kirk wins with less talent because he and his staff develop football players.Really good football players!

I appreciate Iowa's work ethic. I like hard nose, good tackling football. Sound fundamental, disciplined football. And one fact that still remains, when November comes around and the wind howls from the NW, the snow starts to fly and the turf is as hard as a rock. Iowa's style of play is better than those wide open passing attacks.

I understand Kirk's position. If they had not add McNamara maybe not as much. If Cade feels the offense will improve then I'll buy in. We've added some nice players to our offense and the defense and special teams should be sound. Already sent in my check for the fall. Hoping for a good season.

There are a lot of great things about this program, but offense has really never been one of them and I really don't understand why. We have had talented position players, yet we have always been held back by the scheme and play calling. College football has evolved but this offense has not!
Unfortunately KF won't make any changes as long as he's in charge, which tells me there is no accountability in this program and until the big money donors push for change, no offense is going to be the norm.
I just have to wonder what this team could be like with just half an offense, how much fun would it be to watch?!

I just have to wonder what this team could be like with just half an offense, how much fun would it be to watch?!
I imagine it could look like 2002 except most every year, rather than 2002-04 and occasional blips of good offensive years up to the present day. Blows me away that the same unit could look so great then and so bad now - but this has been coming and I think it's not as simple as saying the coaches don't put as much emphasis on offense as they should. It occurs to me that the offense in the period from ~2001 through 2004, marked first by major improvement and later by high-level play, benefited from younger, hungrier coaches and a much greater ability to hit on recruits in traditional hotbeds like Florida and Texas. Maybe regaining that combo is what it will take for Iowa to become respectable on offense again.

What's the definition of insanity again?

I imagine it could look like 2002 except most every year, rather than 2002-04 and occasional blips of good offensive years up to the present day. Blows me away that the same unit could look so great then and so bad now - but this has been coming and I think it's not as simple as saying the coaches don't put as much emphasis on offense as they should. It occurs to me that the offense in the period from ~2001 through 2004, marked first by major improvement and later by high-level play, benefited from younger, hungrier coaches and a much greater ability to hit on recruits in traditional hotbeds like Florida and Texas. Maybe regaining that combo is what it will take for Iowa to become respectable on offense again.
Damn 2002 is 20 years ago, hard to believe. I’m sure lots of fans crave for things to go back 20-25 years for their teams, but this is Iowa, we aren’t allowed and we don’t allow any mention of the distant past. We find a time frame that fits our narrative and stick with it as long as it doesn’t involve going back farther than 2002. Please find a good 3,6,8 year time frame that fits your narrative and stick with it. Board rules.

Reactions: WSC72

Wrong the idiot got last year as his 1 more year BS....once again you are a clown who knows NOTHING about the ongoings inside Iowa football and just like to run their mouth acting like they know shit go away troll!

Police this:

Big Ten was re-written for the start of the 2011 season. Pretty good starting point for a new era of Big Ten football.

Iowa 97-55

unL 75-72

Cut in half, or most recent 6 years -for better clarity/program trajectory.

Iowa 59-28

unL 23-45

This is reality. These are facts, and can never be changed. This is the new standard of college football & the Big Ten Conference.

Last edited:
I've given a fair amount of thought about this subject. There were times this year that I was so upset with our offense that I wanted to stop attending games, but I went anyway.

Kirk is in charge and his decisions make or break his success and legacy. Bottom line, leaders surround themselves with people they know and trust. They surround themselves with people that share a similar vision.

What is Kirk's vision? Don't beat yourself. Play good fundamental defense and special teams. Run first offense and play action passing. When you are close to your goal line be very conservative, between the 40's open it up more and inside their 40, open it up. Get a lead, get ultra conservative to not let the opposition get a quick score. Punting is winning! Might not be sexy but he wins alot more than he loses. Third winningest coach in Big Ten history.

I'll add one more fact. Iowa has a few D1 recruits but not like the hotbeds of Texas, Florida, California, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and many of the southern states. We will always be at a recruiting disadvantage geographically. Kirk wins with less talent because he and his staff develop football players.Really good football players!

I appreciate Iowa's work ethic. I like hard nose, good tackling football. Sound fundamental, disciplined football. And one fact that still remains, when November comes around and the wind howls from the NW, the snow starts to fly and the turf is as hard as a rock. Iowa's style of play is better than those wide open passing attacks.

I understand Kirk's position. If they had not add McNamara maybe not as much. If Cade feels the offense will improve then I'll buy in. We've added some nice players to our offense and the defense and special teams should be sound. Already sent in my check for the fall. Hoping for a good season.
I agree with everything you wrote here. Well done.

Except there comes a time when you have to make adjustments when things are working. A new voice in the room. Some different tactics. Some new ideas.

Past success does not guarantee future success - neither do wholesale changes. But continuing to do the same thing in this case smells of the complete inability to change rather than a firm faith in what you are doing.

In year 24, Kirk is responsible for the caliber of the players in offense. Iowa had a bad OL in 2021 (despite Linderbaum), and Kirk did not address it via the portal or even the JC route. Now he is blaming last year’s lousy OL on inexperience.

That is not “owning” responsibility for the atrocious offense last season.
Youre right, he is..now should we compare how many OFF NFL players hes had vs other similar programs??..again your statements are moronic.

Spot on gunner

I agree with most of what you wrote, but let’s be perfectly honest here: Kirk is keeping Brian on because he’s his son. Period.

What makes him outside of Iowa a hof coach beside long-term coach? I would believe personally you should win some key games that we haven't even played for that.

Has the man done some good things outside of coaching. You bet
Boy you are a special kind of stupid. Not a HOF coach??...what has he done?? How dmb can 1 person be? Maybe you should ask the Sabans of the world who have said such, Moron.

and schedule bad teams, and find the worst bowl teams to play in the yearly toilet bowl game
KF needs to get lost. The guy is a joke and it's getting worse. The yearly weak schedule bails him out every year. Rinse and repeat. KF is a joke. A scam artist and his kid is a meathead, with no talent.

There are a lot of great things about this program, but offense has really never been one of them and I really don't understand why. We have had talented position players, yet we have always been held back by the scheme and play calling. College football has evolved but this offense has not!
Unfortunately KF won't make any changes as long as he's in charge, which tells me there is no accountability in this program and until the big money donors push for change, no offense is going to be the norm.
Ball control, field position, limiting OFF possessions, and beating us by long consistent non flashy drives is all part of his formula, which is genius when u know your recruiting challenges in the state of Iowa. Playing up tempo with multiple OFF possessions is not his winning formula...it's baffles me that people on here don't understand that, and keep thinking our DEF and team success would be as great if we did the opposite.

He limits the possessions in a game, and makes other OFF be consistent and with patience to be successful...which is not well done by most college kids and teams..I mean hell look how annoyed u fans are, imagine playing against that formula.

Get a clue people.

I'm really starting to worry about his cognitive state. If he seriously cant figure out why the fans would be more excited about 09 than 21 he's either just really stupid or losing his faculties fast. Lets see... besides the obvious difference in records (11-2 vs 10-4) the 09 team started 9-0, won 3/4 of their games vs OSU, Mich, PSU, MSU, got Kirk's only ny6 bowl win, and finished ranked 7th.

The 21 team finished 4-4 in last 8 after the fake id start and that included a national embarrassment in Indy and they needed Minnesota to bail them out to get there. They ducked OSU, Mich, and MSU regular season (who all finished top 10) and none of the teams they beat finished ranked and they were so unimpressive with firstborn's shit offense ranked in the 120s they barely finished ranked themselves. I didn't know a 10 win p5 team could barely finish top 25 but Kirk sure showed me

He really can't be that dumb, can he? I assume it's just his self serving intellectual dishonesty covering for his worthless son. He has a gift of distorting things that is especially effective on the largely rube Iowa population. He definitely has a future in politics in that state if he wants one. Such a shady, self serving fuk

Last edited:

Well we should have known the answer was no changes since there was no official news of a new OC being hired. At a public institution a new hire would have been public news. So I was not surprised but disappointed.

I hope the offense improves but I am not sure. BF calls a very inconsistent game and throws in some very strange play calls many times. This fact just makes me think BF doesnt have the in game play calling chops. I hope Budmayr takes over the QB coaching duties since he was a QB.

Is Feth going to take over at center and let Jones etc learn for a year on the sidelines or is he slated for a guard spot. I hope the other portal Olinemen can be a really good right tackle. And Richman still needs to improve a lot in pass blocking.

So I am not sure that the OLine gurus Kirk and Brian will solve that problem but I hope that I am wrong. If the Oline is much better it will be the number one item I think to improving the offense. If so the hawks will get more yards per run, fewer tackles for loss on running plays, longer pass protection which will enable just above avg receiving corp to get open.

Reactions: Bishop1971
ADVERTISEMENT