ADVERTISEMENT

Keeping BF is the right decision. 1 more yr.

This. The man in charge made this decision. If it blows up in his face he will have to go. I have never said Kirk should be let go until now. Both Ferentz’s get one more year in my opinion.
It's a baby with the bathwater discussion. His teams have been very competitive over the years. Over the last 5 or so you could argue they've been perhaps the 3rd or 4th best program in the B1G. At the same time his unwillingness or inability to be critical of his offensive staff and make necessary changes is maddening at times. He made clear in his presser what we already knew and that is that he will never fire Brian. He said that Fry never fired a coordinator and neither will he. So that's where we are. Brian is here for as long as Kirk is here. The family business is real.

Not reading through all of these at first. Will just restate what I stated. As someone very very pro Kirk, I will give this one more year with Brian at OC. If we are still buried at the bottom at the end of next year on offense I would say change needed then.

I have contemplated that if it gets to the point at the end of next season where Brian has to go, I would not be shocked at all if Kirk decides to go out then and just retire. That may be the impetus for Kirk to retire. At that point it is wholesale staff change.

It's a baby with the bathwater discussion. His teams have been very competitive over the years. Over the last 5 or so you could argue they've been perhaps the 3rd or 4th best program in the B1G. At the same time his unwillingness or inability to be critical of his offensive staff and make necessary changes is maddening at times. He made clear in his presser what we already knew and that is that he will never fire Brian. He said that Fry never fired a coordinator and neither will he. So that's where we are. Brian is here for as long as Kirk is here. The family business is real.
And that is why I think if they don’t show any signs of offensive improvement next year they should both go. How many years of putrid offense in a row is too many? I am sure if they somehow pull a 2021 and win 10 games with a still horrible offense it will not happen and probably shouldn’t. Same story then, what could have been ….(with a great D and an offense with a pulse).

I've given a fair amount of thought about this subject. There were times this year that I was so upset with our offense that I wanted to stop attending games, but I went anyway.

Kirk is in charge and his decisions make or break his success and legacy. Bottom line, leaders surround themselves with people they know and trust. They surround themselves with people that share a similar vision.

What is Kirk's vision? Don't beat yourself. Play good fundamental defense and special teams. Run first offense and play action passing. When you are close to your goal line be very conservative, between the 40's open it up more and inside their 40, open it up. Get a lead, get ultra conservative to not let the opposition get a quick score. Punting is winning! Might not be sexy but he wins alot more than he loses. Third winningest coach in Big Ten history.

I'll add one more fact. Iowa has a few D1 recruits but not like the hotbeds of Texas, Florida, California, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and many of the southern states. We will always be at a recruiting disadvantage geographically. Kirk wins with less talent because he and his staff develop football players.Really good football players!

I appreciate Iowa's work ethic. I like hard nose, good tackling football. Sound fundamental, disciplined football. And one fact that still remains, when November comes around and the wind howls from the NW, the snow starts to fly and the turf is as hard as a rock. Iowa's style of play is better than those wide open passing attacks.

I understand Kirk's position. If they had not add McNamara maybe not as much. If Cade feels the offense will improve then I'll buy in. We've added some nice players to our offense and the defense and special teams should be sound. Already sent in my check for the fall. Hoping for a good season.
This is where I am also. We will know what we got when we play in Ames on Sept 9.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Not reading through all of these at first. Will just restate what I stated. As someone very very pro Kirk, I will give this one more year with Brian at OC. If we are still buried at the bottom at the end of next year on offense I would say change needed then.

I have contemplated that if it gets to the point at the end of next season where Brian has to go, I would not be shocked at all if Kirk decides to go out then and just retire. That may be the impetus for Kirk to retire. At that point it is wholesale staff change.
Agree, but I'm betting and hoping there's a huge uptick.

Yes, it's the right decision for Kirk and family. With the racism charges still floating there was simply nowhere else for Brian to go. As a dedicated family man, the first coordinator KF would ever fire is not going to be his son, who would be left out in the cold. It would be horrible for his family. He just can't do it. His desperate hope is that this year will be better and it will be salvaged. If it's the same ol' dumpster fire of an offense then it wouldn't surprise me if KF retires instead of firing his son.

Blood is thicker than water. It's not what is best for Iowa football, but that is the way it is, boys.

He's won plenty of games...moron. Jesus u just keep elevating your non sense and moronic comments. And I've applied plenty of stats to support my case..meanwhile u haven't Mr hypocrite.

2021 - 10wins BIG Champ game
2022- 8 wins 1 game away from BIG Champ game.

Winningest coach in Iowa history.
Coach of the year multiple times
Respected by the likes of Nick Saban and other top program coaches.

Consistently outperforming expectations on a Natl level based on Natl expert opinions. Hes an overachiever, a consistent outperformer.
But I can see how you have trouble knowing and or defining what an overachiever is or does, u bottom feeder.

See those facts u moron!!
You keep bringing up the wins….which were generated by special teams and defense…..then you double down by saying the offensive philosophy helps the defense. How does consistently going 3 and out, not scoring, etc….help the defense?

You keep bringing up the wins….which were generated by special teams and defense…..then you double down by saying the offensive philosophy helps the defense. How does consistently going 3 and out, not scoring, etc….help the defense?
It only helps when the defense is more likely to score than the offense, as in the bowl game. It is truly bizarro world.

The fans who tout overall wins are missing the larger point. Many of those wins are in spite of the offense, not because of the offense. It's maddening, because there are larger prizes to obtain if we merely had a decent, not even great offense.

It only helps when the defense is more likely to score than the offense, as in the bowl game. It is truly bizarro world.

The fans who tout overall wins are missing the larger point. Many of those wins are in spite of the offense, not because of the offense. It's maddening, because there are larger prizes to obtain if we merely had a decent, not even great offense.
Perhaps unbeaten in 2021. Hell, this year we would have had three more wins.

Reactions: LIV4GOD
What makes him outside of Iowa a hof coach beside long-term coach? I would believe personally you should win some key games that we haven't even played for that.

Has the man done some good things outside of coaching. You bet
So then Hayden Fry isn't a hall of fame in your humble opinion? He must not be, as Ferentz has an equivalent to or better record than Fry.

Last edited:
Reactions: F5n5
Police this:
Cut in half, or most recent 6 years -for better clarity/program trajectory.

Iowa 59-28
This is reality. These are facts, and can never be changed.
Thanks man, you encapsulated and confirmed everything I’ve known about Iowa fans in a single post. Funniest stuff I’ve read in a long time. Kudos.

happiness-laughing.gif

I agree with most of what you wrote, but let’s be perfectly honest here: Kirk is keeping Brian on because he’s his son. Period.
It is not supposed to be his decision. I want to know why Barta is not being roasted. He is Brian's boss, not Kirk, even if only on paper. Barta set it up that way to avoid "nepotism". Where else does anyone with a performance like Brian's, does he keep his job. Barta is keeping an Offensive Coordinator with this kind of "BAD" performance.

It is not supposed to be his decision. I want to know why Barta is not being roasted. He is Brian's boss, not Kirk, even if only on paper. Barta set it up that way to avoid "nepotism". Where else does anyone with a performance like Brian's, does he keep his job. Barta is keeping an Offensive Coordinator with this kind of "BAD" performance.
Because Ferentz owns Barta

We just came off a miserable yr of OFF injuries, to include both oline and wr. On top of that BF was stuck with a immobile inaccurate pro style QB. Goodluck to anyone trying to move that OFF.

Now we have a mobile and accurate QB, a stud RB, a great TE transfer to go with 1 or 2 studs already, a great looking WR transfer to gonl with some healed up wrs in Nico and Bostick along with a couple big bodied wr recruits and most importantlya plethora of healthy and new olineman. They'll most likely be another wr (speedster) added before its all done if things play out right.

Because of all this, and how next yr is lining up to be a good run with plenty of experience, it wouldn't make sense to burn the year trying to transition into an entirely new OFF scheme.

I expect great things and a calming of the craziness after next yr as the OFF will be much improved. But, if it's not, BF will be gone, and probably gone from Iowa.
Every singe year they claim injuries, 2022 was no different.

We have had a mobile QB in the ranks, they chose to not use either. AP was more mobile and we saw in the bowl game that JL was more mobile, yet the coaches stuck with a statue.

When is a good time to make changes?

The offense will be better, we don't play OSU nor UM in the crossover. Being 130/131 teams, the offense can only go up. The issue with next year is we have lost a ton on defense (all LB's, and a majority of our DB's). Yet that will be the excuse they use when staring down a losing record.
2022 Record:
Utah State 6-7
ISU 4-8 with 1 win over Iowa
WM 5-7
So starting off against 3 teams that had losing records.

I want the Hawks to do better, but SSDD is called insanity. The AD should be held 100% accountable for the shite show we have seen the past 5yrs on Offense, the OC reports to him remember, not the HC...

Reactions: FatBrian4Prez
And what does GB know about an offense, a little less than BF? He said BF came in qualified for having played in the offense, that was the qualification that they used for closed hiring process?

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
Bryan Ferentz had 6 years to figure this out. If the quarterback was inaccurate it's his fault if they can't train these people in 6 years they need to move on. He had his chance total bullshit keeping him.

I regards to this particular issue, you seem to be operating under the mistaken impression that your opinion matters,.. This program will proceed in whatever fashion Kirk decides.

Bryan Ferentz had 6 years to figure this out. If the quarterback was inaccurate it's his fault if they can't train these people in 6 years they need to move on. He had his chance total bullshit keeping him.
It's like a pitcher in baseball. Accuracy is not something you can teach to some extent. If they don't get it through repetitions they just ain't gonna get it. Zach Wilson made it to the NFL and didn't look like he could hit the side of a barn this season.

And what does GB know about an offense, a little less than BF? He said BF came in qualified for having played in the offense, that was the qualification that they used for closed hiring process?
Gary was starting QB at North Dakota State I believe. Pretty sure he understands the concepts.

Kirk stated in is presser the offense scheme will not look much different in 2023. That right there tells you who is in charge of the overall offense.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Kirk stated in is presser the offense scheme will not look much different in 2023. That right there tells you who is in charge of the overall offense.
This has always been true, we just need to be reminded of it from time to time, like yesterday. So, what if Brian were to quit and go someplace else or is let go - who would want to come to Iowa as an OC? It would be another Greg Davis-like coach. Someone who is happy to be there and not going to rock the boat. The notion that some innovative, forward thinking coach would want to come to Iowa as an OC is the stuff of message boards, not reality. And I'm a big supporter of Kirk, just aware enough that this is what we would see. If the Hawks can get into the 70s in total offense this fall would be amazing - that's how low my expectations have become. Certainly recent history doesn't support they'll get there.

I know the press conference was laid out to basically deflect criticism from Brian for the offensive shitshow we had last year, but that comment about never firing coordinators was so cringe its unbelievable.

It tells you a lot about Kirk's mentality these last few years. Saying that stuff out loud is fire me before I leave the lectern territory. Kirk has given up trying to use his resources to improve the program on a daily basis. He's retreated to the bunker and is just trying to survive until the horde finally gets him. Put this dude out of his misery, give him his buyout and turn the freaking page.

Reactions: RothMatt
All speculation. Anyone can speculate. What we know from Kirk is he has never fired an OC. Kid or not his kid, he has never fired one.
I agree on the speculation. But BF statistically has done worse than GD except for 1 year. So it's not unrealistic to assume

All speculation. Anyone can speculate. What we know from Kirk is he has never fired an OC. Kid or not his kid, he has never fired one.
So what just because he hasn't doesn't me he shouldn't. First time for everything. If any OC in the nation deserves to fired after last 2 seasons it is BF.

Well this was probably close to the truth. Greg Davis retired and KOK was replaced by Brian while still getting paid. Nobody was fired.
Hence the wink. KF trying to hang his hat on that as a reason to keep his inept son is just weak.

Mobile..vs dual threat is confusing for you, I'm sorry. Moron.
michigan fan cad is solid qb but he is not mobile. cade is good when he has a clean pocket. He gets a pass rush on him he can start looking at the rush and not the wr or TE. You don't need great rushing stats to be mobile but cade has 3 yards rushing in 20 games at michigan. officially 45 car for 3 yards.

Your wrong. Based on the number of players they continue to put into the NFL they are actually underachievers. They should be winning way more games but they fail at winning games with all the talent they produce
How many Iowa wide receivers, running backs, and quarterbacks are in the league today? Those are kind of important in today's game.

How many chances are we going to give this clown? It's NOT the right move. The right move would have been axing SOMEONE after the offense finished 121st (or whatever) two years ago. To keep it fully intact with zero changes is beyond insane. Kirk WANTS to lose HIS way than win games. **** you kirk.

Gary was starting QB at North Dakota State I believe. Pretty sure he understands the concepts.
Holy hell was that leather helmet football? Betting the concepts have changed (no longer option football, Nebby even learned that) a tad since 1900... ;)

"I was not a very good player," Iowa Athletic Director Gary Barta said about his days as a quarterback at North Dakota State from 1983 to 1986.

• Haha
Holy hell was that leather helmet football? Betting the concepts have changed (no longer option football, Nebby even learned that) a tad since 1900... ;)

"I was not a very good player," Iowa Athletic Director Gary Barta said about his days as a quarterback at North Dakota State from 1983 to 1986.
Backup QB at that level. I would garner a guess that is way above what anyone on this message board did at the college football level.

While at NDSU, he was a member of the Bison football teams that won the NCAA Division II Football Championship in 1983, 1985, and 1986.

I agree on the speculation. But BF statistically has done worse than GD except for 1 year. So it's not unrealistic to assume
it's also unrealistic to assume any jackass with half a brain would keep the entire staff intact after two abysmal offensive seasons in a row

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
We have no choice but to watch the potential train wreck. If he can't get to mediocre offense stats,then they both need to go. And Barta needs to man up and fire Brian. Kirk will head out the door with him. I am laughing as I write this because I know Barta doesn't have the balls. Fingers crossed they figure it out.

Stanley audibles alot. I just don't think Petras was that sharp reading defenses. Same issue with checking off of primary receivers.
This will be a unique situation where the qb could have stronger leverage over doing what he wants based on NIL and probably promised playing time. And when he’s done at iowa he may comment on how iowa coaching compares to how things are run at Michigan

We just came off a miserable yr of OFF injuries, to include both oline and wr. On top of that BF was stuck with a immobile inaccurate pro style QB. Goodluck to anyone trying to move that OFF.

Now we have a mobile and accurate QB, a stud RB, a great TE transfer to go with 1 or 2 studs already, a great looking WR transfer to gonl with some healed up wrs in Nico and Bostick along with a couple big bodied wr recruits and most importantlya plethora of healthy and new olineman. They'll most likely be another wr (speedster) added before its all done if things play out right.

Because of all this, and how next yr is lining up to be a good run with plenty of experience, it wouldn't make sense to burn the year trying to transition into an entirely new OFF scheme.

I expect great things and a calming of the craziness after next yr as the OFF will be much improved. But, if it's not, BF will be gone, and probably gone from Iowa.
I wish I could get paid $900,000 a year while continually getting worse at my job for six years.

ADVERTISEMENT