ADVERTISEMENT

Keeping the Streak Alive

BigDelHawk

HR Legend
Jan 9, 2004
We have had a pretty good run of first round draft picks the last few years. Who are the likely suspects to keep the streak going next year?

I was going to say Alaric Jackson as well. Maybe if Coy Cronk is as good as advertised and completely healed up, he’ll have a chance. You know they’ll both be on the preseason Outland watchlist (those things are pretty worthless - usually a list of returning senior starters from every team in the country, but still).

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
If ISM builds on his bowl game performance, he could be late first round. A long shot would be LaPorta having a big year.

Linderbaum maybe.
Thats a really hot take. I'm interested in this. We all know the guy can play and he's clearly a big part of 7 yard QB sneaks, but he plays center and I thought that was all the talk with Daniels is 2nd/3rd round is as good as you can hope for from a center and Kirk had very high praise when he was going through the draft process.

Thats a really hot take. I'm interested in this. We all know the guy can play and he's clearly a big part of 7 yard QB sneaks, but he plays center and I thought that was all the talk with Daniels is 2nd/3rd round is as good as you can hope for from a center and Kirk had very high praise when he was going through the draft process.
The Saints took center Cesar Ruiz in the first round 7-8 days ago.

Medical report (multiple knee surgeries) is what kept Daniels out of the first round.

Linderbaum showed up on a couple mocks that I saw, one was a 1st round pick.

Kid is super talented, but I'm not seeing him go that high yet. My guess would be a 3-4 rd pick next year but comes back to get bumped up to a 1-2 rd pick in 2022.

I'm just having some fun, but I do know it's something at least on the radar right now. Would only be after a really good season though, of course, so first things first really.

Reactions: grayhair81
I don't have any names to offer but could see a Shonn Greene/Luka Garza type scenario where someone with known potential just explodes onto the scene.

If Hankins has a Josh JACKSON type of season, he could get to the first round, but as of now, Aleric would be the leading candidate. I love Linderbaum and his tenacity, but even if gets recognized as 1st All-AMERICAN, he won’t go first round just because he lacks the prototypical size.

If Golston channels his inner Leroy Smith, he could jump up there, as long as he takes the combine seriously.

Does Linderbaum have the size for a NFL center?

Or maybe the better way to ask, the size for a 1st round NFL center?

Linderbaum maybe.
I'm not so sure. Wisconsin's center was getting massive national hype and he went in what, the 2nd or 3rd? Centers weren't really sought after this year. Things can change, although I'd love for Linderbaum to stay an additional year.

I'm not so sure. Wisconsin's center was getting massive national hype and he went in what, the 2nd or 3rd? Centers weren't really sought after this year. Things can change, although I'd love for Linderbaum to stay an additional year.
Tyler Biadasz, who left a year early, actually didn't go until the 4th round last week. Landed in a perfect spot with the Cowboys though, since Fredrick just retired. But yeah it's hit and miss sometimes with centers, no doubt.

Does Linderbaum have the size for a NFL center?

Or maybe the better way to ask, the size for a 1st round NFL center?
Cesar Ruiz, who went #24 overall to the Saints last week, was 6-3, 307 lbs at the NFL Combine, which is basically the same exact size as James Daniels. Linderbaum was listed at 6-3, 286 lbs last season. He's probably more like 6-2 barefoot.

Reactions: kwinks1
Cesar Ruiz, who went #24 overall to the Saints last week, was 6-3, 307 lbs at the NFL Combine, which is basically the same exact size as James Daniels. Linderbaum was listed at 6-3, 286 lbs last season. He's probably more like 6-2 barefoot.

So he will be likely big enough for 1st rounder material. I think we all agree he has the potential for 1st round skill, technique and ATTITUDE.

Him driving Gophers into the ground will never get old.

Reactions: Hawk fan in Minn
ADVERTISEMENT