ADVERTISEMENT

Keith Duncan's parents have taken on $115k debt

$13,000 equates to pennies to those of us that attended college with no scholarships or financial help from Mom and Dad. Boohoo.

Why all the bashing and blaming and hatred?

You mean those of us like me? I put myself through undergrad 100%. After working and seven years of grad school, and while my two kids were young, I only paid off my student loans from undergrad when I was 33.

Cost of attendance relative to cost of living was significantly less then.

Have some empathy. Consider facts. Look in the mirror and be honest.

Agree. What happened to housing prices pre-2008 when the govt tried to make it possible for everyone to get a loan for a home??? If the govt came out tomorrow and told every student they would get $20k per year of student loans to go to college, and the rest would need to be funded with “go fund me” activities, donations, etc, you would see the cost of a large percentage of colleges come crashing down. They would all have to compete to get kids to choose them.

Yep. It’s the government. Not the banks. Not the mortgage companies. Not Wall Street. Not corrupt lawless incompetent politicians who have no respect for the constitution or facts or kids or women or anyone but themselves, and who would rather destroy democracy itself than admit responsibility for anything.

They can pay that debt down in no time when he is kicking in the NFL. Glad he has the scholarship now. He earned it.

there is very little guarantee he will kick in the NFL. If I were to put odds on it, I'd say well less than 50% that he ever kicks in a NFL regular season game. Recinos was just as accurate with a stronger leg and hasn't made the league.

Yep. It’s the government. Not the banks. Not the mortgage companies. Not Wall Street. Not corrupt lawless incompetent politicians who have no respect for the constitution or facts or kids or women or anyone but themselves, and who would rather destroy democracy itself than admit responsibility for anything.

The politicians who yell and scream and froth at the mouth and manipulate people to believe they are “draining the swamp” are the scum and rot at the bottom of the swamp itself.

If we don’t want families like Duncan’s to suffer for an education, we need to invest more in people: in education and health care, to make our future sustainable.

If we don’t, right now, there will no longer be a United States of America. Just a wholly owned oppressive corporatocracy and most of us indebted, enslaved, distracted, and deluded.

We are most of the way there right now.

The more we hate and blame and tear each other down, the more we all drown in the swamp of our own creation.

You mean those of us like me? I put myself through undergrad 100%. After working and seven years of grad school, and while my two kids were young, I only paid off my student loans from undergrad when I was 33.

Yeah that's where a large portion of the disconnect is. Older folks (like me or even older) who went to college and did it while incurring zero or next to no debt did so with hard work and also the tuition as a portion of cost of living was much less than it is now. College tuition has skyrocketed compared to the cost of living.

We as a Hawkeye family need to help find a way from them to get out of this. Their son is the reason we are 9-3 and in reach of 10th win. We need to find a way to thank them and Keith for their loyalty to the TEAM.

Well, I was a walk-on at Iowa and just after earning a starting position and thinking I was "gonna get paid" (earn scholly) suffered a career ending injury. Where was my "Hawkeye family"? Just kidding I never expected the "Hawkeye family" to step up. That's the life of a walk on. I realize it was a little different for me because I grew up wanting to be a Hawkeye and it was in state tuition. but I gave up out of state schollys to walk on. Don't get me wrong I root harder for the walk ons than anybody but my father never expected (or would have taken) charity. Wearing the hawkeye uniform, earning a letter jacket and letter blanket was payment enough for me.

<biggestfacepalmever.gif>

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye

I have zero empathy for someone that "has taken on $13,000 of debt himself." That's not very much college debt to deal with.

I graduated from UI several years ago and remain tens of thousands of dollars in debt - just from undergrad.

And the state has cut funding by about 60-70 percent over that same timeframe

You are wrong on the quality. It is exponentially better

Exponentially better? Perhaps if you're focusing on a specific professional track or discipline. Technology has certainly advanced and along with it availability of resources. Many fields of study look nothing like they did 30 years ago.

There's also a good case to be made to the contrary...some of the most fundamental tenants of a good liberal arts education have been bastardized if not completely throw out the window. In many Universities we're programming people instead of developing them into independent and critical thinking individuals. (it's more than a cliche' if you've observed it first hand).

Best leave it at that...lest we veer into politics. What is undeniable is that the cost of the "product" has increased at an inexplicable rate. Somebody (or a number of somebodies) is/are banking at the expense of the student.

I have zero empathy for someone that "has taken on $13,000 of debt himself." That's not very much college debt to deal with.

I graduated from UI several years ago and remain tens of thousands of dollars in debt - just from undergrad.

Tens of thousands of debt, or thirteen thousand, is a burden only Americans bear. Elsewhere in the world, college education is so much more accessible.

I empathize with everyone expected to borrow for an education.

Health care and education should be accessible to all, not drive people into debt peonage, poverty, or working jobs they hate, or anything else that doesn’t resemble “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness”

We all need to look in the mirror and remember who we are and what unites us.

Lack of empathy, distortions of facts, cruel projections of blame, or outright hatred, is not Iowan and truly Un American.

Reactions: littlez
Tens of thousands of debt, or thirteen thousand, is a burden only Americans bear. Elsewhere in the world, college education is so much more accessible.

Health care and education should be accessible to all, not drive people into debt peonage, poverty, or working jobs they hate, or anything else that doesn’t resemble “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness”

Lack of empathy, distortions of facts, cruel projections of blame, or outright hatred, is not Iowan and truly Un American.
I guess my message to you is that, because I'm comparing his 13k of debt to my student loan debt situation, I don't feel bad for him. ONLY because I've been dealing with much worse circumstances that have "bogged" me down.

Other than that, I agree with your thoughts/opinions/statements.

Unless you're lucky enough to have your education paid for by mom and dad or you're graduating from the college of engineering (or going to medical school), it seems College itself is a complete scam.

The debt we are taking on is absolutely absurd and some of us will never pay it off. Sad state of our country.

Reactions: littlez

Great thoughts, but life does not include guarantees. Never has, never will. As for what unites us, that's not as clear as it one was. A significant portion of our citizenry is satisfied being dependent while another portion prefers to be more independent and self-reliant. Dare I add that the first group would be truly "Un American".

Last edited:
I wasn't bitching just in regards to UI.

And yet the average student loan debt is around the cost of a new mid-range car.

Over half.od the total of student loan debt on a macro level is for professional or graduate school degrees.

The state cuts to higher education in the past generation is not unique to Iowa

Do not kid yourself, KEITH is at least $128,000 in debt. I would fully expect him to pay off all the loans if he makes a NFL team.
I believe the max Federal guaranteed loan a student student can take from middle income parents is $5,500 for Fresh and Soph year.

Most people take on debt to go to college, and don't get to play with a ball and a chance at millions to continue playing with a ball. Quit crying, I'm sure he isn't. Oh, the outrage and unfairness of it all!

I guess my message to you is that, because I'm comparing his 13k of debt to my student loan debt situation, I don't feel bad for him. ONLY because I've been dealing with much worse circumstances that have "bogged" me down.

Other than that, I agree with your thoughts/opinions/statements.

Unless you're lucky enough to have your education paid for by mom and dad or you're graduating from the college of engineering (or going to medical school), it seems College itself is a complete scam.

The debt we are taking on is absolutely absurd and some of us will never pay it off. Sad state of our country.

This parasitic corporate corrupt economic system, and much of government held captive by that corporate cabal, is a complete scam. It’s consuming our democracy itself. What’s left of it. Rule of law is under full frontal assault right now. Without rule of law, no democracy left.

Don’t confuse the symptom for the disease. Blaming the educational system is blaming the symptom.

Nothing in any society is more important than health care and education. They should be accessible to all. Period. Not out of principle. Not out of every single person’s and family’s need. But because they are our birthright as members of a so called civilized developed society.

“Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness” translates to “health care and education” quite clearly. But many people think that means perpetual war and guns or another false idol.

If we want to be free and have a democracy, we need to be able to take care of ourselves and our families and communities with health care and education. At any and every age. AI and automation will decimate and obliterate entire industries. Already are. We will lose upwards of 40% of all current jobs, across almost all industries, in next fifteen years.

Is a 30 or 50 year old man and father expected to go into debt for job retraining? Insanity.

If we all don’t get this and demand changes from our government, we have an alternative. We can just worship liars and tyrants and let hatred rule our minds while the elite laugh at how easily we are manipulated to vote against our economic interest, and sabotage what remains of our democracy and freedoms and any chance of lasting happiness by doing so.

So you disagree that a limit of $20k per year would bring down costs versus an open blank on the FASFA form to write in how much you need financing for?

Just looked up tuition and fees for out of state students and was shocked to see that it is over $31K. Turns out that that is one of the lowest in the Big Ten West. Only Nebraska is less at just over 25K. That's just insane.
That is crazy, didn't realize it had gotten that high. My two younger sons played bball in college, one at a D2 school and the other at an NAIA school. Both private schools and were around 20K per, so it helped to get both academic and athletic funds to cover about half. Grinnell coach wanted my youngest to go there really bad, (he was a great 3 point shooter),but between the distance for me to get to his games, and it was about 35K per year in 2004, made it a no go.

That is crazy, didn't realize it had gotten that high. My two younger sons played bball in college, one at a D2 school and the other at an NAIA school. Both private schools and were around 20K per, so it helped to get both academic and athletic funds to cover about half. Grinnell coach wanted my youngest to go there really bad, (he was a great 3 point shooter),but between the distance for me to get to his games, and it was about 35K per year in 2004, made it a no go.
I don't know how anyone could possibly make sense of these insanely high costs of education.

I guess the only good thing to come out of this crap is people are facing so much debt that more and more are deciding to not reproduce - I'm sure planet earth appreciates a little birth control.

I don't know how anyone could possibly make sense of these insanely high costs of education.

I guess the only good thing to come out of this crap is people are facing so much debt that more and more are deciding to not reproduce - I'm sure planet earth appreciates a little birth control.
Its crazy no doubt about. Luckily for me, both boys were 4.0+ student so they got academic aid, and both worked as well, so I footed very little. The cost does pay for itself though if you get a good degree. My oldest son did not go to college, and works a blue collar job, and brings home around 55K. The two who did get degree's, one in accounting and a double in MIS, and the other in accounting and finance. The younger two both work very good careers and are 100K+ guys so its worth it if you don't get out to far over your skies, or get a degree in something you'll never make good money in.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the role of academic advisers and financial aid people at the schools.

I think it borders on criminal behavior to allow or direct an 18 or 19 year old to take on Thousand$$ in debt and encourage them to major in something like women's studies or another major with no viable career path to repay the loans.

What kind of responsible adult would do that? (One that only cares about keeping their academic area funded, to hell with the kid after they graduate).

If I may, the tuition has skyrocketed because it's basically subsidized by the federal government via student aid. The schools basically are guaranteed to get the tuition because the feds will pump loan money in to the system so the schools raise tuition knowing they're going to get it. The circle keeps going and the numbers get bigger.

Schools haven't made any progress in improving their efficiency to teach more students with less professors. That is why costs go up. Academia has no competition...they get tenure and guaranteed easy time for life.

Letting anybody get nearly unlimited access to loans no matter what there degree type/earnings prospects means a bunch of dummies overspend on school debt and they are now stuck with it. However since these dummies don't have any earnings, it will fall upon everyone else that did it the right way to pay for these dummies.

Paying back debt should be in pre-tax dollars. If the degree was needed for the the job, then it is no different than a business writing off an expense with pre-tax dollars.

Duncan was 2nd string as kicker for previous 3 years, so understandable he didn't have a schollie.
Hopefully he makes NFL...he seems to be nearly a Kaeding in accuracy..possibly not enough leg strength though.

LaQuinta, I would only reply that my generation has run the colleges and universities for the last twenty years or so. And in that same period universities have soaked up federal funding in the process. Don't mean to make this a political discussion at all. I just don't think my generation has served the ones behind me very well and stand by that.

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Guilt can eat up a person.

For him to play football at Iowa.

Out-of-state total cost of attendance is estimated at $47k per year
https://admissions.uiowa.edu/finances/estimated-costs-attendance

Thank goodness he cannot profit from his likeness.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...-path-becoming-lou-groza-finalist/2619051001/

The tab for Duncan to play football at Iowa has topped $170,000. Gifts from grandparents have helped pay it down. Keith has taken on $13,000 in debt himself. But Stuart and Jennifer Duncan still have $115,000 outstanding in loans for their son to pursue his dream.
I took on about $100,00 and my colleague took about $300,000. This has nothing to do with profiting as a student athlete, it has everything to do with a broken system. Maybe we need to stop the never ending competition for “best facilities”. Put that money towards educating our students. Many kids are forfeiting higher education because of the money aspect. Look at the bright side, schools can brag about a larger scoreboard.

Schools haven't made any progress in improving their efficiency to teach more students with less professors. That is why costs go up. Academia has no competition...they get tenure and guaranteed easy time for life.

Letting anybody get nearly unlimited access to loans no matter what there degree type/earnings prospects means a bunch of dummies overspend on school debt and they are now stuck with it. However since these dummies don't have any earnings, it will fall upon everyone else that did it the right way to pay for these dummies.

Paying back debt should be in pre-tax dollars. If the degree was needed for the the job, then it is no different than a business writing off an expense with pre-tax dollars.

Duncan was 2nd string as kicker for previous 3 years, so understandable he didn't have a schollie.
Hopefully he makes NFL...he seems to be nearly a Kaeding in accuracy..possibly not enough leg strength though.
Two--he was lst string as a true freshman, then redshirted for one year, then 2nd string for one year. This is his 4th year, he has one more left.

That's on KF for being a poor evaluators or talent. The kid should have been given a ride a lot earlier.. KF should take his bonus money and write the kids parents a check.
OFGS this is about the stupidest take on this possible. Do you always blame someone for everything?

Spoken by someone who doesn’t understand what tenure means and how exceedingly difficult it is to get. And once you have it, you have to get funding.

Wanna be poor for 10-12 years while you get a bachelors or two, a masters, and a PhD? Then apply for tenure track positions (usually 100+ apply for one position).

Often you are in your mid 30s or 40s before you sniff tenure.

I could go on.

But most people who teach these days aren’t even tenure track.

Wanna be a PhD and work for $40k and no benefits?

I’ve worked in the corporate world. Founded businesses.

No one works harder than professors, especially at a place like Iowa. These days they are essentially entrepreneurs expected to create new knowledge, innovate, teach, lead, and generate funding. If they don’t, they leave and most go to the corporate world, which pays better and is much easier. Period.

Reactions: Ferentzfever
If I may, the tuition has skyrocketed because it's basically subsidized by the federal government via student aid. The schools basically are guaranteed to get the tuition because the feds will pump loan money in to the system so the schools raise tuition knowing they're going to get it. The circle keeps going and the numbers get bigger.
Actually it's not that simple. I've worked in higher ed for nearly 30 years. Tuition has certainly gone up, but state support (which is where colleges get their money, not from the feds), has consistently gone down. Tax payers simply don't want to pay for higher ed. So more of that burden is shifted to students. Yes, some proprietary institutions feed on the ill-informed and encourage students to max out their aid. But most do not. They provide students with aid counseling and try to inform students of the dangers of loan debt. But unfortunately, it's hard for students to understand the long term picture. Declining state support combined with available loans and short-term thinkers is a big part of the issue.

Another part of the issue is the facility arms race. When I went to college my dorm room consisted of 4 cinder block walls, a couple of beaten down old desks, two shelving units, a one bathroom with a few stalls and showers per floor. Now everybody expects individual suites with private baths, technology up the yin yang, huge rec facilities, climbing walls, pools, hot tubs, etc. Well, all of that costs money. It is crazy! Schools that can't keep up are at a major disadvantage.

And yes, salaries are an issue. But not always in the way people expect. At major universities, salaries of med and law school Deans are redic. But at many, like where I currently work, even the Prez makes about $200,000. In any other Industry, somebody overseeing over 500 employees and a budget of tens of millions would command far more. But similar to the arms race, more advisors and other direct support positions are needed. In fact, at most institutions, part-time faculty make up the majority. And they are poorly paid.

So long story short, many factors contribute to rising tuition. There are other alternatives, like community and technical colleges. But these are not for everybody. So the result is the situation we are in now.

Where you go to college for free if your parents illegally crossed the border, but go to jail for bribing your kid into college. America!

Spoken by someone who hasn’t had to flee a CIA backed war for corporate America, or its aftermath, like in Central America.

Have you been to Guatemala or Honduras? I have.

What goes around, comes around.

Read Two time Congressional Medal of Honor winner Major General Smedley Butler’s famous essay “War is a Racket”

Here are some excerpts:

Spoken by someone who hasn’t had to flee a CIA backed war for corporate America, or its aftermath, like in Central America.

Read Two time Congressional Medal of Honor winner Major General Smedley Butler’s famous essay “War is a Racket”

Here are some excerpts:

Here are some excerpts:

Wow some bad acting in that video, I guess Adam Sandler was not available? That video is a disgrace to Major General Smedley Butler.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT