ADVERTISEMENT

Keith Duncan's parents have taken on $115k debt

How so? The colleges/universities are the ones jacking up the price of tuition annually for the past 30 years.

If you mean the National Debt, possibly ...although I think we know it's the politicians (that we elected) who've accomplished that with massive, unchecked spending, and giving up on balancing the federal budget many years ago.

It was the OP who decided to focus on the cost and debt portion of the story, of course others are going to comment on that.

When I was in college , tuition rose along with the increase in available student aid. Much of a "College Education" is a racket run by the schools.
With talk of a free education there should be talk of school accountability.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Many schools with hundreds of millions of dollars, some more than a billion dollars in endowments.

What is this money used for exactly?

Great thoughts, but life does not include guarantees. Never has, never will. As for what unites us, that's not as clear as it one was. A significant portion of our citizenry is satisfied being dependent while another portion prefers to be more independent and self-reliant. Dare I add that the first group would be truly "Un American".

Dependent people?

Like corporate welfare? Subsidies for unsustainable farming or animal operations? For the colossally wasteful and destructive war industry that consumes half the federal budget, more money spent on military than all other major developed countries combined? Corporations that not only pay zero taxes, but benefit from government programs like food stamps and Medicare so that they can pay workers poverty wages, like WalMart, or run workers into the ground like Amazon? I could go on.

Insanity. Criminal behavior.

And we want to blame poor people?

Why not blame the people and policies and systems that make people poor and keep them poor?

Education and health care made accessible ALLOWS people to be independent. Independent thinkers. Independent citizens. Social entrepreneurs who solve problems and add value rather than merely make a buck with some level of manipulation or unsustainable practice.

Open your eyes. This system has us all so deluded, blaming each other, cutting corners everywhere, getting shafted by others.

The whole system is built on manipulation. The whole shame is unsustainable by any definition of he term.

And it’s collapsing, along with our democracy and the entire ecosystem.

Wake up.

We can either come together to see reality as it is and solve problems, or we can grab what we can, Prepper like, and grill out while Rome burns, enjoying the seemingly free heat and laughing at the destruction, all as our fat amoral orange Nero fiddles.

Wake up. See what’s happening. See what obviously isn’t working.

We are better than all that.

Reactions: Ferentzfever
Many schools with hundreds of millions of dollars, some more than a billion dollars in endowments.

What is this money used for exactly?

Most every innovation in any area - medicine, tech, business, arts - happens at a college or university or with some involvement or tech transfer or consultation with university researchers, etc.

Every government dollar invested in higher ed has huge ROI.

Funding should come from government, not tuition. It’s an investment in people, economy, and democracy. And our future.

Reactions: Ferentzfever
Most every innovation in any area - medicine, tech, business, arts - happens at a college or university or with some involvement or tech transfer or consultation with university researchers, etc.

Every government dollar invested in higher ed has huge ROI.

Funding should come from government, not tuition. It’s an investment in people, economy, and democracy. And our future.
This (highlighted) may be true, but probably only 10-20% of degrees are tech related. Women studies, black studies, sociology degrees, english degrees, etc, etc, etc will and should never yield high paying jobs. But students can still get loans for these the same as a computer and engineering degrees.

Dependent people?

Like corporate welfare? Subsidies for unsustainable farming or animal operations? For the colossally wasteful and destructive war industry that consumes half the federal budget, more money spent on military than all other major developed countries combined? Corporations that not only pay zero taxes, but benefit from government programs like food stamps and Medicare so that they can pay workers poverty wages, like WalMart, or run workers into the ground like Amazon? I could go on.

Why not blame the people and policies and systems that make people poor and keep them poor?

Education and health care made accessible ALLOWS people to be independent. Independent thinkers. Independent citizens. Social entrepreneurs who solve problems and add value rather than merely make a buck with some level of manipulation or unsustainable practice.

Open your eyes. This system has us all so deluded, blaming each other, cutting corners everywhere, getting shafted by others.

The whole system is built on manipulation. The whole shame is unsustainable by any definition of he term.

Wake up.

We can either come together to see reality as it is and solve problems, or we can grab what we can, Prepper like, and grill out while Rome burns, enjoying the seemingly free heat and laughing at the destruction, all as our fat amoral orange Nero fiddles.

I hope you didn't throw out your shoulder with all the reaches, or sprain an ankle with the leaps in logic. There's some truth and fair points up there, but a whole lot of bad analogies, flawed logic and false premises as well.

LaQuinta, I would only reply that my generation has run the colleges and universities for the last twenty years or so. And in that same period universities have soaked up federal funding in the process. Don't mean to make this a political discussion at all. I just don't think my generation has served the ones behind me very well and stand by that.
It's often a state by state thing. The state of Iowa has reduced its college funding and support while other states have increased funding, many now offering free tuition. Those schools have seen their rankings improve as they draw better students enticed by the better value.

I’m sure there’s an official website somewhere, but a quick Google search provided this wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_the_United_States_by_endowment
It doesn't say what the endowments are for. Iowa is not on the list of Endowments per Student so more than likely the endowments are targeted for research. I would think that Iowa's medical research programs get a huge majority of the bucks - I don't think funding for those can be diverted for athletic scholarships;)

It doesn't say what the endowments are for. Iowa is not on the list of Endowments per Student so more than likely the endowments are targeted for research. I would think that Iowa's medical research programs get a huge majority of the bucks - I don't think funding for those can be diverted for athletic scholarships;)
Not sure about that, since AAU members earn the majority of competitively awarded federal funding for academic research. I'm sure there are private grants awarded too, but I doubt it's anywhere near the federal funding.

I'm just asking why some of that endowment at each university can't go to help off-set tuition for their students post graduation. If nothing else, it should be used to curb the insatiable rate of tuition increases that's been prevalent the past 25 years.

Not sure about that, since AAU members earn the majority of competitively awarded federal funding for academic research. I'm sure there are private grants awarded too, but I doubt it's anywhere near the federal funding.

I'm just asking why some of that endowment at each university can't go to help off-set tuition for their students post graduation. If nothing else, it should be used to curb the insatiable rate of tuition increases that's been prevalent the past 25 years.
So not tied to athletic participation? Seems like a non-sequitur.

It's often a state by state thing. The state of Iowa has reduced its college funding and support while other states have increased funding, many now offering free tuition. Those schools have seen their rankings improve as they draw better students enticed by the better value.

All states have reduced their funding for higher education dramatically.

You are confusing public education with private colleges. The few that have touted free tuition are privates

Dependent people?

Wake up.

too much wrong here to list.

Last edited:
All states have reduced their funding for higher education dramatically.

You are confusing public education with private colleges. The few that have touted free tuition are privates
You are right about private colleges providing tuition (from huge endowments). But not all states are reducing their funding, not even close. https://www.forbes.com/sites/michae...higher-education-funding-by-3-7/#32c0166f70c9. And judging by the company Iowa is keeping in reducing its funding (Miss, West Va., Kentucky, etc.), I would be a little worried about where things are headed. Alabama of all places has really raised its game and is giving serious dough to draw out-of-state students, and it's really improved their profile. ct-met-illinois-students-brain-drain-20180405-story.html

The politicians who yell and scream and froth at the mouth and manipulate people to believe they are “draining the swamp” are the scum and rot at the bottom of the swamp itself.

If we don’t want families like Duncan’s to suffer for an education, we need to invest more in people: in education and health care, to make our future sustainable.

If we don’t, right now, there will no longer be a United States of America. Just a wholly owned oppressive corporatocracy and most of us indebted, enslaved, distracted, and deluded.

We are most of the way there right now.

The more we hate and blame and tear each other down, the more we all drown in the swamp of our own creation.
Spoken like a politician, I thought this was a Hawkeye thread. Go talk your doomsday speech on some other site , please!! I feel for Duncan’s parents, however I have two children in college currently and face bills also. I believe Duncan’s parents knew the cost of college before he enrolled. I know I did. Go Hawks !!!

Reactions: BBHawk
You are right about private colleges providing tuition (from huge endowments). But not all states are reducing their funding, not even close. https://www.forbes.com/sites/michae...higher-education-funding-by-3-7/#32c0166f70c9. And judging by the company Iowa is keeping in reducing its funding (Miss, West Va., Kentucky, etc.), I would be a little worried about where things are headed. Alabama of all places has really raised its game and is giving serious dough to draw out-of-state students, and it's really improved their profile. ct-met-illinois-students-brain-drain-20180405-story.html
Iowa is following the Kansas-Oklahoma-Arkansas model. Non funding, privatization of education, health, and many other governmental functions is leading to higher costs and fewer services. Lots of problems stemming from this trend.

For him to play football at Iowa.

Out-of-state total cost of attendance is estimated at $47k per year
https://admissions.uiowa.edu/finances/estimated-costs-attendance

Thank goodness he cannot profit from his likeness.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...-path-becoming-lou-groza-finalist/2619051001/

The tab for Duncan to play football at Iowa has topped $170,000. Gifts from grandparents have helped pay it down. Keith has taken on $13,000 in debt himself. But Stuart and Jennifer Duncan still have $115,000 outstanding in loans for their son to pursue his dream.

This only shows how well college scholarship athletes are paid.
If you want to feel bad for Walkons that’s fine but this is far from the sweeping indictment you think it is. It’s quite the opposite.

Reactions: Scruggs.buster
So Rutgers and Maryland are about 15% behind Iowa in endowments, but we are behind all the other schools!! I guess that is expected since our enrollment is probably less than all but Northwestern.

I'm still scratching my head at how a kid can be good enough to start, but not good enough for a scholarship.

Alabama is offering full rides to highly qualified students. Illinois has a ton of high achieving students, many of which can't get into U of Illinois. Alabama doesn't have the highly qualified students in-state, and is offering scholarships to many of them from out-of-state in an attempt to increase their test scores and other measures.

But, overall, U of Alabama is no cheaper than their peers.

Their annual total cost of attendance is ~$30k for in-state and ~$50k for out-of-state.
https://financialaid.ua.edu/cost/

I had a discussion recently with our COO at work in Houston. His nephew Crews Holt(Crews is the COO middle name) was the kicker for MTSU. As you might remember Holt kicked a field goal for their only score at Kinnick earlier this season. His nephew who was first team all state in TN had no scholarship offers from P5 schools. Only walkon opportunities. They elected to take the full ride from MTSU thereby saving a lot of money.

So Rutgers and Maryland are about 15% behind Iowa in endowments, but we are behind all the other schools!! I guess that is expected since our enrollment is probably less than all but Northwestern.

An institution’s endowment has almost nothing to do with enrollment size. It’s about who went to the school, how much money they made in life and how much they donate back to the university.

He is a good story....however he made that choice as did his parents.

And...they say that a football scholarship isnt worth anything.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...-path-becoming-lou-groza-finalist/2619051001/

The tab for Duncan to play football at Iowa has topped $170,000. Gifts from grandparents have helped pay it down. Keith has taken on $13,000 in debt himself. But Stuart and Jennifer Duncan still have $115,000 outstanding in loans for their son to pursue his dream.

Could be argued that Duncan flipped the game in at least two Iowa victories this year. If that's the case, Ferentz got a 500k bonus for his heroics and he got a 170k bill. Breathtaking.
Maybe that's why KF put him on scholarship????? Legal payback...

This (highlighted) may be true, but probably only 10-20% of degrees are tech related. Women studies, black studies, sociology degrees, english degrees, etc, etc, etc will and should never yield high paying jobs. But students can still get loans for these the same as a computer and engineering degrees.

Wrong. They teach you how to identify and solve problems. They teach you how to think.

Did you know that one of the most common majors of Silicon Valley CEOs is philosophy?

Wrong. They teach you how to identify and solve problems. They teach you how to think.

Did you know that one of the most common majors of Silicon Valley CEOs is philosophy?

And other liberal arts majors can also be as or even more important than tech or biz degrees for biz leaders and social entrepreneurs. Because in many ways you can learn even more useful things: you learn how to learn, how to think out of the box, how to innovate.

Steve Jobs favorite and most influential class in his short time in college (liberal arts school, Reed College) was CALLIGRAPHY.

Watch his famous commencement address at Stanford. He tells that story.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...ders/2015/07/29/liberal-arts-degree-tech/amp/

https://bigthink.com/paul-ratner/why-silicon-valley-titans-learn-and-recommend-philosophy

Many more articles supporting my point.

How do people on this forum and elsewhere make unfactual and unsubstantiated claims, and believe them, is disheartening.

Our great orange leader is an expert at that and his minions follow his evil, manipulative, tyrannical example obviously.

Think. See the facts. Be responsible.

Welp, if no pro football after college, the Army still pays off loans too. In seriousness, you kinda know out of state tuition is gonna be high without a schollie. Ultimately on the parents. I am sure Kirk never promised a schollie by a certain point.

Reactions: obfuscating
cut them a check when he graduates. his parents would prob like that. I have my own bills to cover.

Right, what stops a booster from doing this really? Kind of like a "foundation" set up by ex-Presidents. That is time for collection for the favors.

Self inflicted - didn't have to walk on at an out-of-state school.

Well that’s nice of his parents to take on that debt for him. Took me a while to get mine all paid off

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT