ADVERTISEMENT

Keith Duncan's parents have taken on $115k debt

I'm still scratching my head at how a kid can be good enough to start, but not good enough for a scholarship.
Well I guess technically he wasn't the starter the last two years, and won the job back after Recinos graduated. When he played as a freshman, his number were pretty mediocre, and had very limited range, which is why he lost the job to Miquel. He made one HUGE kick, albeit a short one, to beat Michigan. Credit to Keith for continuing to work hard, and gain leg strength as to increase his range. This allowed him to win back the job over Shudak this season. When scholorships would have been awarded for this year he was not the starting kicker, and now that he is, he is being rewarded for his efforts. Only two kickers, (under KF), have ever been recruited to Iowa, and given a scholorship as freshman. Keading and Mick Ellis, who I'm not sure ever won the job.

Well I guess technically he wasn't the starter the last two years, and won the job back after Recinos graduated. When he played as a freshman, his number were pretty mediocre, and had very limited range, which is why he lost the job to Miquel. He made one HUGE kick, albeit a short one, to beat Michigan. Credit to Keith for continuing to work hard, and gain leg strength as to increase his range. This allowed him to win back the job over Shudak this season. When scholorships would have been awarded for this year he was not the starting kicker, and now that he is, he is being rewarded for his efforts. Only two kickers, (under KF), have ever been recruited to Iowa, and given a scholorship as freshman. Keading and Mick Ellis, who I'm not sure ever won the job.
And, as a walkon, his meals are free during the season/practices. All meals, snacks, etc., so he was not treated like any other student. Walkons do have some benefits.

When I saw the amount I at first thought it was exaggerated. I graduated in 2000 as a non-resident of Iowa and had about $40k in loan debt (at 4.5% interest!!) which I paid off after about 7 years. It sucked at the time to pay around $650/month when you're just starting out on entry level salaries, but as you gradually make more and start getting some bonuses the amount doesn't seem as impossible to pay down. I was sooo happy when I paid it off using most of my bonus check using one lump sum of about $6,000). I checked the UIOWA website and sure enough tuition, not including books, living costs, etc... was $31k per year for non-residents today. No way could I afford to have gone there now - its not like starting salaries have risen 300% since 2000.
I used to complain about millennials and their inability to pay off their student loans but this is getting ridiculous. $40k in tuition per year is what I expected back then from Ivy league schools, maybe Northwestern or some private liberal arts colleges... but wow. Year 2000 tuition and fees:

I don't think there is a fix per se but it is all about choices. Choose a college or university that is affordable. Choose as a student to work in the summer and during the school year. Choose as a parent to help your child with their education.

It can be done with the right choices.

Why is no one calling out KF here? I think KF was the ultimate prick in this situation. Dont complain about the NCAA here!

Why not put Duncan on scholarship following the 2016 season after Duncan showed he could excel as the Hawks primary PK?

Yep they surely do, just an observation on the current broken system, one of many.

What is affordable? Live in KC and sent my oldest son to KU. Probably around 85-90K all in over 4 years. Luckily had the money to pay. Not an option for many. Yes, College is a choice but facts show college graduates make way more money down the road than not. Unless you have a trade or something else to hit the ground running college is needed. And yes, the system is totally broken.

Also worth noting that people are sometimes idiots when chasing a dream.

Why not kick at a JUCO for 2 years....and save $50k?

What is affordable? Live in KC and sent my oldest son to KU. Probably around 85-90K all in over 4 years. Luckily had the money to pay. Not an option for many. Yes, College is a choice but facts show college graduates make way more money down the road than not. Unless you have a trade or something else to hit the ground running college is needed. And yes, the system is totally broken.

If money is a real concern for his family....yes.

If they can afford it, then no....and they shouldnt complain about taking out $100k in debt.

More so, KF should have given him a scholarship 2 years ago.

So his decision to go try and kick at Iowa makes him an idiot?

Why is no one calling out KF here? I think KF was the ultimate prick in this situation. Dont complain about the NCAA here!

Why not put Duncan on scholarship following the 2016 season after Duncan showed he could excel as the Hawks primary PK?
you think kf is a prick because our backup kicker didn't have a scholly?

LMFAO.......

Everyone keeps pointing the finger at someone else.

You dont think he earned a scholarship after being the starting PK folllowing the 2016 season?

you think kf is a prick because our backup kicker didn't have a scholly?

LMFAO.......

Everyone keeps pointing the finger at someone else.

You dont think he earned a scholarship after being the starting PK folllowing the 2016 season?
Recinos didn't even have a scholly until after the '17 season. To say that duncan should have is BEYOND laughable :)

I would think he will repay his parents when he goes to the NFL (even in the spring games) he could easily make enough to pay them off and have a nice nest egg.

I just think this whole thread is ridiculous.

He's a great story, but I don't feel bad his family felt the need to go $100k into debt to chase a dream "they called it an investment" when there are less expensive schools available (ex FCS Furman on partial scholarship).

In today's culture, people are ok with large amounts of debt. Unfortunately student loan debt can only go away by either paying it off or dieing. Bankruptcy isnt an option.

Make the universities carry some of the debt, the guaranteed student loan by the US government is crap. If the universities had to worry about collecting on the debt they help create, I am sure prices come back to earth to some degree.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
This shows $43K for tuition plus room and board plus another $4K for books, fees, etc. probably a little more depending on travel costs.

U of Iowa Costs

Maybe it’s just me, but $43K for someone right out of high school seems like decent compensation.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
If you don’t like the clowns don’t blame the clowns.
Blame yourself for going to the circus.

For him to play football at Iowa.

Out-of-state total cost of attendance is estimated at $47k per year
https://admissions.uiowa.edu/finances/estimated-costs-attendance

Thank goodness he cannot profit from his likeness.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...-path-becoming-lou-groza-finalist/2619051001/

The tab for Duncan to play football at Iowa has topped $170,000. Gifts from grandparents have helped pay it down. Keith has taken on $13,000 in debt himself. But Stuart and Jennifer Duncan still have $115,000 outstanding in loans for their son to pursue his dream.
It disturbs me this is now public information. Family finances are normally very private info.

What's next, start posting college student loan totals for new doctors coming out of med school and residency? None of our effing business.

Call me confused, but didnt Duncan's parents openly provide their financial information as part of their newspaper article interview?

QUOTE="INXS83, post: 7249306, member: 4642"]It disturbs me this is now public information. Family finances are normally very private info.

What's next, start posting college student loan totals for new doctors coming out of med school and residency? None of our effing business.[/QUOTE]

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT