ADVERTISEMENT

Kemerer to 184 and Assad redshirting?

The Vak

HR All-American
Jan 25, 2002
Haven't seen this discussed a whole lot, but on FRL they were talking about a potential move for Kemerer to 184, Nelson Brands in at 174, and Assad to redshirt. It sounded like it was something someone in the chat said, but I was just wondering if anybody else had heard anything?

Reactions: el dub and HIWILLE
Kem moved from 57 to 74 without any problems. Why would anyone think that he wouldn’t make the move to 84 the exact same way. If he’s big enough to be a real 84 pounder, he’s the favorite at 84 too. The only person I can really see beating him is Brooks.

I think a lot of people with redshirts available will take them next year, so seems plausible.

Reactions: el dub
Many people close to the program think Nelson is going to keep getting better and fight his way into the line up. I am not disagreeing with those predictions. However, just for comparison I dont think Kem at 84 and Nelson at 74 in 2020 would have been a better plan that Kem 74 and Assad at 84. Having said that I am sure Nelson will be vastly better next year so there could be some legs to this. Makes more sense than to have Nelson at 84.

I threw this out as a possibility a couple months back figuring Kem may still be growing properly. If he were making that move, I think someone would know by now.

Reactions: redmarlie
I think this would be based more on their plans and projections for Assad. I think Kem COULD go to 84, but with one precious year left, I don't think managing his weight at 74 is any problem. Of these 3 mentioned, Brands has the least amount of proven success. I don't think they would bump 2 proven guys to 'give' Nelson his chance. $.02

Reactions: TarpHawk
Because Kem likely scores fewer points at 184 than 174 and Assad > Brands. This isn't rocket surgery.
Why do you make that assumption? Kem is the favorite either weight. You think he can’t beat Max Dean who is #1 and Cash almost beat?

And Assad/Branch is a wash.
Assad is ranked #9 in Flo’s preseason rankings. Colbray (who Brands beat) is #9 at 174z

IMO you don't mess with a near sure thing unless you have a better or equal option (see Steiner/Mac).

Kem is a near guaranteed finalist at 74, not sure what happens another 10lbs heavier.

So if brands and Abe are low level AAs that doesn't make the weight change worth the risk.

I could see it happening, especially with the fall/winter sports potentially being up in the air with a POTENTIAL round 2 of COVID19. Why risk burning another year of Assad's eligibility if we have another end of season like we did this past year. Just my opinion and I'm probably wrong. lol

Myles Amine is just as tough, I’d say probably tougher. as anyone at 184.
Myles will be 184 this year is the word.
125 Medley
133 Micic
141 Mattin/Silva
149 Storr
157 Lewan
165 Cam Amine
174 Massa
184 Myles
197 Embree
Hwt Parris

Reactions: MVPFAN
Why do you make that assumption? Kem is the favorite either weight. You think he can’t beat Max Dean who is #1 and Cash almost beat?

Assad is ranked #9 in Flo’s preseason rankings. Colbray (who Brands beat) is #9 at 174z
Don't hang your hat on how Colbray is ranked. He won't be able to be in the lineup next year

Kemerer chances of winning a title at 74 are higher then at 84. I also believe his bonus rate is greater at 74.

If Mehki Lewis and Massa both move up to 174..it will be a dogfight. And don't underestimate Starocci either. Kids real good.

I don't think Kem at 184 is crazy at all. If his body has grown and he is fully hitting the weights He could be a champ at 184. Keep in mind he didn't get to train as hard as he wanted before last season because they were so worried about the knee and the shoulder surgeries. If the restrictions are off he has the frame for it.

Plus we can debate this all we want but he literally has Sammy Brooks and Assad to measure himself by. If he is even or better than Sammy...then that speaks volumes more than our debates on fearing change.

Don't hang your hat on how Colbray is ranked. He won't be able to be in the lineup next year

I'm excited to see how Broderson does at 184. Pretty good athlete finally starting to reach his wrestling potential. I love Assad so don't get me wrong but I was hoping Broderson maybe would have ended up in Iowa City too.

Why would you take the clear cut favorite, bump him up 10 lbs, for what you're saying is a wash?

At NCAAs next year, Dean will be two years removed from that match. Irrelevant.
Colbray always struggles early in the year. And he barely beat him. I like Brands but quite frankly he’s not good enough to try to jam into the lineup.

Reactions: MVPFAN and el dub
Why would you take the clear cut favorite, bump him up 10 lbs, for what you're saying is a wash?

Colbray always struggles early in the year. And he barely beat him. I like Brands but quite frankly he’s not good enough to try to jam into the lineup.

I agree.

However.... We are living in strange times and other factors than “best at weight” or, or most logical line up might come into play.

He went up 13 pounds and did better than he ever has. You move him up if he is big enough to move up. I agree you don’t make this move for the sole purposes of trying to get Brands in the lineup. But if Kemmerer grows to a 184 he’ll do just as well there as he did at 174. He beat freaking Mark Hall who no one at 184 is in that level.

If he’s big enough and wants to go up, let him do it. It will not have a significant negative outcome on the team score.

Reactions: Gobblin and el dub
He went up 13 pounds and did better than he ever has. You move him up if he is big enough to move up. I agree you don’t make this move for the sole purposes of trying to get Brands in the lineup. But if Kemmerer grows to a 184 he’ll do just as well there as he did at 174. He beat freaking Mark Hall who no one at 184 is in that level.

If he’s big enough and wants to go up, let him do it. It will not have a significant negative outcome on the team score.

Kem will not grow into a full 184, it has been stated on here his walk around is in the 180-85 range which does not even make him an especially big 174 pounder. Kem wrestling scratch at 184 does not sound like a great idea to me. IMO points upside is better with Kem/Abe and points downside bigger with Brands/Kem.

Reactions: el dub
Depends on what Kem is walking around at now. He knows his body and he also has a guy named Chris Doyle to help him adjust up 10 pounds if that's where his body is taking him.

I saw where Mark Hall recently tweeted he is at 202 but just eating. IMO Kem looked bigger than Hall. Of course that size 9 melon head of Halls weighs 30 pounds on its own.

But like Hall, Kem is stuck in no mans land for the Olympic weights. If he has grown then this is the time to start thinking ahead. Who would have ever thought David Taylor would be that big now and still that good.

There is a chance that Kem could actually be better at 184 because he's bringing that quickness up. Never underestimate that.

I trust what he is doing is best for him. He isn't going to move just to make a spot for Nelson or to accommodate Assad for a redshirt.

One thing I wonder about is if Kemerer wants to start growing in order to wrestle 86kg internationally. He seems to be too big for 74kg. If so then 184 makes sense.

On the other hand, realistically him making the Olympics in 2021 is a long shot anyways so maybe he stays at 174 then wrestles 79kg to try and make some World teams.

Kem will not grow into a full 184, it has been stated on here his walk around is in the 180-85 range which does not even make him an especially big 174 pounder. Kem wrestling scratch at 184 does not sound like a great idea to me. IMO points upside is better with Kem/Abe and points downside bigger with Brands/Kem.

That's a pretty old weight range report on this board. True...sure but reported long ago. What's he at now?

And like I said in the above post. Chris Doyle is pretty friggin good at what he does for the university. If Kem is walking around bigger and their is a nutrition and lifting plan in place....then trust the kid and the staff. He isn't throwing away his SR year just to make a lineup look cool on paper or to please this board. .

Reactions: McCulloughd

But his (Brands') results were still eh. Sure, if Kem wants to move up there's no stopping him it just doesn't seem logical that's something he wants. He was was a 174 on basically full feed and is the clear favorite there. Why try to pack on even more pounds and go to a tougher weight? Best case, it doesn't help the team score more points.

Reactions: MVPFAN

But Brands got scouted and figured out. Very quality wrestler with a motor but lacks a top 20 offense for 184 and probably 174. Maybe he can develop some. His best chance to score significant points is 165 after Marinelli, if he can beat Redshirt Freshman Kennedy or further develop offense and go 174 after Kem. no shame in being a 2 year starter like the old days. I like to think he could be in Top 5 mix or higher as a senior

Reactions: Mendoza77
But his (Brands') results were still eh. Sure, if Kem wants to move up there's no stopping him it just doesn't seem logical that's something he wants. He was was a 174 on basically full feed and is the clear favorite there. Why try to pack on even more pounds and go to a tougher weight? Best case, it doesn't help the team score more points.
I could see best case it adding points. Title at 84 for Kem and low AA for Brands at 74. I could also see title for Kem at 74 and no AA for Assad.

Like I said, minimal difference either way. I don’t think you do this just to get Brands in the lineup, but you have to consider lots of factors. Maybe Kem wants to bulk for 86kg? Maybe Assad wants to redshirt and make an international run next year?

Has anybody thought of the fact that maybe Kem himself wants to move up? That maybe his body is holding the weight and he thinks his skill set is better for 184?

Nelson was wrestling guys that in effect, had 20lbs on him. He could probably make weight on full feed. If he gets bigger this summer, he slots nicely in at 174. This year, his optimal was 165. There was no “figuring” him out...it was him getting stuck under bigger dudes which neutralized his gas tank advantage. I like the idea of Assad shirting...only because he can take this time to get better and roll in as a contender the following year.

Kem going down to 162.8 I don’t think so, he will be at 189.2 directly after nationals what weight makes more sense to wrestle next season. There is nobody at 184 that Kem cannot handle, as well as 174! I would say the competition is fairly equal heading into next season.
Anyone who thinks Kem cannot be a full size 184 by next season has not been paying attention.

Kem going down to 162.8 I don’t think so, he will be at 189.2 directly after nationals what weight makes more sense to wrestle next season. There is nobody at 184 that Kem cannot handle, as well as 174! I would say the competition is fairly equal heading into next season.
Anyone who thinks Kem cannot be a full size 184 by next season has not been paying attention.
Unless I’m off on who is moving to what weight 184 is significantly tougher than 174. 184 has Dean, Amine, and Brooks. 174 has what Labriola and Starocci?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT