ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky/Bowl Rewind - A Much Closer Look

iowaflash

HR All-State
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2006
Originally watched this Bowl Game with friends, and talked too much with them while watching the game. Decided to rewatch by myself, paying particularly close attention to key parts, both ups and downs. After a big butt kicking from a legit playoff team, this was a huge opportunity to take down a good, but beatable 9 win SEC team. At halftime, our solid defense had 3 sacks while holding UK to 13 points in almost 20 minutes of possession time. Though our running game appeared decent, our offense was held to only 127 total yards in barely 10 minutes of possession time, scoring just 3 points while going 0 for 4 in third down conversions (with 2 INT’s).

For those that like to point out how statistically bad Padilla played (while winning games), this first half by a Hawk QB my HR friends, has to be one of the most porous in recent memory. Could the 2nd half get any worse for a 19 game experienced QB?

At the beginning of the 2nd half, Petras did have ONE good long throw to LaPorta (the other long one on paper that went for a TD was actually a 10 yard toss with a 30 yard run). But after that, Petras had no downfield completions the rest of the game, wildly missing wide open targets (at least two to Ragaini and one to Bruce). Nonetheless, our defense kept playing lights out, and after coming up big with a 4th down stop, we had the ball on the 35 yard line with only 7 minutes to play, leading 17-13. This normally is money time for an accountable QB….get some first downs and run the clock. Possible at this time? Nope, 3 and out. After punting, UK with the ball back on their own 11 with 6 minutes left to play. Again defense does its job, ending UK drive with an INT, at the 4 minute mark on the Iowa 35 yard line. Can we get some first downs now and seal the game? Nope. Ferentz no confidence in Petras throwing, so he hands off 3 consecutive times, as UK expects as much (10 in the box), and with burning TO’s, they again force a 3 and out to make us punt. Ferentz with no confidence in Petras results in leaning one too many times on the defense, and UK gets the ball back with 3 1/2 minutes left. So we all know that finally UK scores to take the lead, but we still have one more chance to send the game into OT, with 1:48 left, needing only about 40 yards to get into Shudak’s kicking range. After a couple of short yard passes to LaPorta, and running backs doing their part, can the QB finally redeem himself for a mostly miserable game? No. When just five yards away from a makeable Shudak kick, Petras throws wild for his 3rd interception, and that’s the game with under a minute left, as UK kills the rest of the clock.

This game was worse watching it by myself, and seeing this QB let down the rest of the team. You can’t go to the well (defense) that many times, because of an unaccountable QB. This was all on Petras. Please no comments on how SP led us to 12 consecutive wins, because this is ancient history now, given the most recent past. The 2022 Hawks have huge potential in front of them, and they DON’T deserve a QB that can’t make the makeables or find a way to sustain drives against good teams…..2 for 6 in 3rd down situations where you’re only 1 to 4 yards away is UNACCEPTABLE. And ZERO catches by WR’s Ragaini and Jones (Johnson didn’t play) is UNACCEPTABLE in a bowl game. Gavin Williams ran for 6 yards average per carry, and OL didn’t yield a sack (defense had 6 sacks and held UK running to 2.6 yards average per carry), so please tell me HOW DID WE LOSE THAT GAME??? I think we actually do know, and I think we also know who else must be given their rightful game opportunities/chances in 2022……

Last edited:
I have two major recollecions from the bowl game:

1. the running game looked markedly improved with GWilliams looking especially powerful (as compared to Goodson).

2. Petras looking horid; early trip to the liquor cabinet horrible.

Its maddening because another phenomenal defensive effort went to waste.

He’s not wrong. QB is the most important position in football and it boggles the mind how consistently mediocre Iowa has been at this position. The only position that Iowa has fared worse at is WR, which is another extremely important position in todays game.

I love that Iowa comes to a gunfight wearing a bomb suit, but it pisses me off that their firepower consists of Ralphie’s Red Ryder and a spork from Taco Bell.

The thing is, I really think a lot fewer people disagree with this than the OP seems to think. It’s just that the backup had tons of chances and look at his stats. And evidently the third stringer was so bad we might as well not even get on the bus to go to the game rather than give him a shot.

I’ve seen a bunch of interviews with Petras and he always comes across as very smart and likable and he’s not shy about letting everyone know that he is well aware he needs to get better. Here’s hoping we have much improved QB play this year. There was nothing in the OP to really disagree with, other than it sucks taking shots at kids that are trying so hard and that obviously want to be better just as much as we all do.

The thing is, I really think a lot fewer people disagree with this than the OP seems to think. It’s just that the backup had tons of chances and look at his stats. And evidently the third stringer was so bad we might as well not even get on the bus to go to the game rather than give him a shot.

I’ve seen a bunch of interviews with Petras and he always comes across as very smart and likable and he’s not shy about letting everyone know that he is well aware he needs to get better. Here’s hoping we have much improved QB play this year. There was nothing in the OP to really disagree with, other than it sucks taking shots at kids that are trying so hard and that obviously want to be better just as much as we all do.
I've been rooting for SP since day 1 as our starter. If he's our starter this year, I'll be rooting for him. Seems like a good high-character guy, seems to be a good on-field leader. He's just not been a very good passer. Gets rattled in the pocket, makes questionable decisions, and has major accuracy issues. The end of the bowl game was horrible. I think it was a combination of SP's issues as a passer and KF's longstanding approach of curling up into fetal position when we have a lead late in games. All we needed was 2 first downs on that late drive up 17-13. He didn't even try for them, instead just wanted to hand the ball off, not fumble, punt, and rely on the defense. Rinse, repeat.

He’s not wrong. QB is the most important position in football and it boggles the mind how consistently mediocre Iowa has been at this position. The only position that Iowa has fared worse at is WR, which is another extremely important position in todays game.

I love that Iowa comes to a gunfight wearing a bomb suit, but it pisses me off that their firepower consists of Ralphie’s Red Ryder and a spork from Taco Bell.
Hey now, don't hate on the spork.

The spork is to Iowa's defense what a pencil is to John Wick....... ;)

The issue is the Red Ryder, except we shoot ourselves in the foot instead of the eye (although sometimes our offense is so painfully bad that it could be both...........)

Sorry, just had to acknowledge the humor in this statement. Well done.

It's interesting to note that you agree SP is not the player you can rely upon to make a play in critical situations while simultaneously bashing the staff for not relying upon him in critical situations!

The bottom line last year was that we had two QB's that were genuinely ready to run the offense (we could have gone 3 deep if necessary, but with a much smaller playbook) and neither one was even close to average in performance.

I'm hoping that this year that one of them, or Labas can step up and at least play at an average level. Lot's of people are upset that we didn't pick up a better QB from the portal, but it's pretty clear that even average QBs are not that easy to come by and few are moving on from their current teams.

Shrug - at this point all I can do is sigh, hope for better and see what happens. Or I could let it fester all off-season, constantly looking for ways to bring everyone down by finding new ways to "prove" that our QB play was abysmal last year. Neither one is productive, but one is annoying AF.

It's interesting to note that you agree SP is not the player you can rely upon to make a play in critical situations while simultaneously bashing the staff for not relying upon him in critical situations!

The bottom line last year was that we had two QB's that were genuinely ready to run the offense (we could have gone 3 deep if necessary, but with a much smaller playbook) and neither one was even close to average in performance.

I'm hoping that this year that one of them, or Labas can step up and at least play at an average level. Lot's of people are upset that we didn't pick up a better QB from the portal, but it's pretty clear that even average QBs are not that easy to come by and few are moving on from their current teams.

Shrug - at this point all I can do is sigh, hope for better and see what happens. Or I could let it fester all off-season, constantly looking for ways to bring everyone down by finding new ways to "prove" that our QB play was abysmal last year. Neither one is productive, but one is annoying AF.
Well, we should've taken that QB from Incarnate Word, but then again if the offense is so hard to master for our non-pro pro-style QBs, then I suppose it probably doesn't matter who we trot out there............

Well, we should've taken that QB from Incarnate Word, but then again if the offense is so hard to master for our non-pro pro-style QBs, then I suppose it probably doesn't matter who we trot out there............
"trot out there..." is a phrase nearly every whiner on the board has used once or twice.

Even more interesting is when Petras keeps playing at subpar levels, series after series in this Bowl game, as if we don’t have another QB on the roster that COULD provide a necessary spark, toward winning Hawkeye football (i.e. Padilla, and he’s already proven he can lead the team to wins, not more than 2 months earlier), IMO. A head scratcher indeed, for all intents and purposes…..

Even more interesting is when Petras keeps playing at subpar levels, series after series in this Bowl game, as if we don’t have another QB on the roster that COULD provide a necessary spark, toward winning Hawkeye football (i.e. Padilla, and he’s already proven he can lead the team to wins, not more than 2 months earlier), IMO. A head scratcher indeed, for all intents and purposes…..
Padilla's stats were worse than Petras'. Not saying we couldn't have tried, but it's not like Padilla came in during the season, lit it up and then we mysteriously never played him again. IIRC...he got replaced vs Nebby because he was really sucking.

I've been rooting for SP since day 1 as our starter. If he's our starter this year, I'll be rooting for him. Seems like a good high-character guy, seems to be a good on-field leader. He's just not been a very good passer. Gets rattled in the pocket, makes questionable decisions, and has major accuracy issues. The end of the bowl game was horrible. I think it was a combination of SP's issues as a passer and KF's longstanding approach of curling up into fetal position when we have a lead late in games. All we needed was 2 first downs on that late drive up 17-13. He didn't even try for them, instead just wanted to hand the ball off, not fumble, punt, and rely on the defense. Rinse, repeat.
That's been the scenario for 80% of KF's losses.

• Haha
Reactions: Nurman and HawkOn15
There was nothing to be learned or any other value by even starting him. Just a lost
opportunity to learn more about a QB who has had only a fraction of the snaps, and an opportunity
to win a game likely to swing on at least reasonable QB play.

Padilla's stats were worse than Petras'. Not saying we couldn't have tried, but it's not like Padilla came in during the season, lit it up and then we mysteriously never played him again. IIRC...he got replaced vs Nebby because he was really sucking.
Never said Padilla “lit it up” at all. What I did say is that he’s had a very recent history of leading Hawks to wins, by whatever means necessary (which may include using mobility). So you’re not going to play this kind of guy (who’s ready) because of stats alone, when there’s another QB struggling so much on the field with wild throws?

Also, it’s very easy to point out he got replaced vs Nebby at halftime, but the truth is he was battling the flu all week, PLUS got robbed on a 4th down LaPorta TD, when defender knocked the ball out of his hands AFTER already making the catch in the EZ, which essentially would have made it an even game going into the second half. Padilla was NOT a major liability in that game, however, a strong case could be made that Petras was the main liability in the Citrus Bowl, no matter how good of a teammate he’s always been…..

Never said Padilla “lit it up” at all. What I did say is that he’s had a very recent history of leading Hawks to wins, by whatever means necessary (which may include using mobility). So you’re not going to play this kind of guy (who’s ready) because of stats alone, when there’s another QB struggling so much on the field with wild throws?

Also, it’s very easy to point out he got replaced vs Nebby at halftime, but the truth is he was battling the flu all week, PLUS got robbed on a 4th down LaPorta TD, when defender knocked the ball out of his hands AFTER already making the catch in the EZ, which essentially would have made it an even game going into the second half. Padilla was NOT a major liability in that game, however, a strong case could be made that Petras was the main liability in the Citrus Bowl, no matter how good of a teammate he’s always been…..
Regardless, Padilla's stats were worse than Petras'. Not saying Padilla sucked, or that a change to see if he was better that day would be a bad idea, but it's not like he significantly outperformed Spencer. But I'm sure you know more than the coaching staff. Surprised you're not making 7 figures coaching major division 1 college football.

Reactions: F5n5
Regardless, Padilla's stats were worse than Petras'. Not saying Padilla sucked, or that a change to see if he was better that day would be a bad idea, but it's not like he significantly outperformed Spencer. But I'm sure you know more than the coaching staff. Surprised you're not making 7 figures coaching major division 1 college football.
Did I say AP has “significantly” outperformed Spencer? No. Do I believe that we waited too long for a change when a QB struggles as much as Petras did against a good, but beatable UK team? Yes, especially when Padilla was ready and has provided a spark before. Also don’t claim to know more than the coaches, but if you’re happy with watching Petras continuing to do what he’s done before (see Spring Game stats), then by all means this is your right and you’re certainly entitled to your own opinion……

Did I say AP has “significantly” outperformed Spencer? No. Do I believe that we waited too long for a change when a QB struggles as much as Petras did against a good, but beatable UK team? Yes, especially when Padilla was ready and has provided a spark before. Also don’t claim to know more than the coaches, but if you’re happy with watching Petras continuing to do what he’s done before (see Spring Game stats), then by all means this is your right and you’re certainly entitled to your own opinion……
Happy to watch Petras underperform? Nope. What I don't do is whine incessantly about it on this message board.

You need to develop the serenity to accept the things you cannot change.

Originally watched this Bowl Game with friends, and talked too much with them while watching the game. Decided to rewatch by myself, paying particularly close attention to key parts, both ups and downs. After a big butt kicking from a legit playoff team, this was a huge opportunity to take down a good, but beatable 9 win SEC team. At halftime, our solid defense had 3 sacks while holding UK to 13 points in almost 20 minutes of possession time. Though our running game appeared decent, our offense was held to only 127 total yards in barely 10 minutes of possession time, scoring just 3 points while going 0 for 4 in third down conversions (with 2 INT’s).

For those that like to point out how statistically bad Padilla played (while winning games), this first half by a Hawk QB my HR friends, has to be one of the most porous in recent memory. Could the 2nd half get any worse for a 19 game experienced QB?

At the beginning of the 2nd half, Petras did have ONE good long throw to LaPorta (the other long one on paper that went for a TD was actually a 10 yard toss with a 30 yard run). But after that, Petras had no downfield completions the rest of the game, wildly missing wide open targets (at least two to Ragaini and one to Bruce). Nonetheless, our defense kept playing lights out, and after coming up big with a 4th down stop, we had the ball on the 35 yard line with only 7 minutes to play, leading 17-13. This normally is money time for an accountable QB….get some first downs and run the clock. Possible at this time? Nope, 3 and out. After punting, UK with the ball back on their own 11 with 6 minutes left to play. Again defense does its job, ending UK drive with an INT, at the 4 minute mark on the Iowa 35 yard line. Can we get some first downs now and seal the game? Nope. Ferentz no confidence in Petras throwing, so he hands off 3 consecutive times, as UK expects as much (10 in the box), and with burning TO’s, they again force a 3 and out to make us punt. Ferentz with no confidence in Petras results in leaning one too many times on the defense, and UK gets the ball back with 3 1/2 minutes left. So we all know that finally UK scores to take the lead, but we still have one more chance to send the game into OT, with 1:48 left, needing only about 40 yards to get into Shudak’s kicking range. After a couple of short yard passes to LaPorta, and running backs doing their part, can the QB finally redeem himself for a mostly miserable game? No. When just five yards away from a makeable Shudak kick, Petras throws wild for his 3rd interception, and that’s the game with under a minute left, as UK kills the rest of the clock.

This game was worse watching it by myself, and seeing this QB let down the rest of the team. You can’t go to the well (defense) that many times, because of an unaccountable QB. This was all on Petras. Please no comments on how SP led us to 12 consecutive wins, because this is ancient history now, given the most recent past. The 2022 Hawks have huge potential in front of them, and they DON’T deserve a QB that can’t make the makeables or find a way to sustain drives against good teams…..2 for 6 in 3rd down situations where you’re only 1 to 4 yards away is UNACCEPTABLE. And ZERO catches by WR’s Ragaini and Jones (Johnson didn’t play) is UNACCEPTABLE in a bowl game. Gavin Williams ran for 6 yards average per carry, and OL didn’t yield a sack (defense had 6 sacks and held UK running to 2.6 yards average per carry), so please tell me HOW DID WE LOSE THAT GAME??? I think we actually do know, and I think we also know who else must be given their rightful game opportunities/chances in 2022……
that was a really long sentence…..I went crosseyed trying to read it….

punctuate occasionally and hit return once in awhile and your douchey criticism of Petras will be easier to read

Happy to watch Petras underperform? Nope. What I don't do is whine incessantly about it on this message board.

Also what I don’t do is put words in other peoples mouth, when commenting on previous posts. Advocating for change when strongly warranted, may irritate you and your policing on this message board, but please feel free to ignore the temptation to respond when you’ve decided this isn’t a topic worthy of your input (instead of trying to censor others).

Can't argue with that.

However, the reasonable fans here know full well that complaining isn't going to accomplish anything, other than to get a weight off their chest. There's a whole lot of "preaching to the choir" when it comes to Iowa's offense and I think there's a genuine sense of satisfaction Joe Q. Hawkeye gets when 30 or 40 other people agree with him.

That being said, we as fans are entitled to our opinions and those opinions don't necessarily make those fans right or wrong, but I do think there is a bit of "armchair coaching" going on here. Just because Joe Q. Hawkeye played high school football or coached and/or refereed a bunch of 10 year olds, doesn't automatically make him the de facto subject matter expert. Joe Q. Hawkeye is knowledgeable as far as fans go, sure, but what he sees is just the tip of the iceberg. He likely thinks he knows more than he actually knows, but probably has at best 10% of the football knowledge an actual college coach knows. Even the most mediocre of college position coaches and coordinators can make Joe Q. Hawkeye look silly when it comes to football knowledge.

There's nothing wrong with wanting change, but it's a very good thing fans have zero input when it comes to plugging-and-chugging personnel and tweaking offensive schemes. If we fans coached Iowa, I don't think we'd beat Cornell College, let alone a B1G team.

Hawks win the game they finish with 11 wins. Outstanding season.
Hawks finish in top 15.
Hawks would have had 4 straight bowl wins.
This bowl loss with the way the hawks lost pisses me off more than most.
Football and basketball both had outstanding seasons with crap losses to end season.
The one positive to the bowl was the fantastic weather in orlando and the grandkids got to meet several players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ree4
Can't argue with that.

However, the reasonable fans here know full well that complaining isn't going to accomplish anything, other than to get a weight off their chest. There's a whole lot of "preaching to the choir" when it comes to Iowa's offense and I think there's a genuine sense of satisfaction Joe Q. Hawkeye gets when 30 or 40 other people agree with him.

That being said, we as fans are entitled to our opinions and those opinions don't necessarily make those fans right or wrong, but I do think there is a bit of "armchair coaching" going on here. Just because Joe Q. Hawkeye played high school football or coached and/or refereed a bunch of 10 year olds, doesn't automatically make him the de facto subject matter expert. Joe Q. Hawkeye is knowledgeable as far as fans go, sure, but what he sees is just the tip of the iceberg. He likely thinks he knows more than he actually knows, but probably has at best 10% of the football knowledge an actual college coach knows. Even the most mediocre of college position coaches and coordinators can make Joe Q. Hawkeye look silly when it comes to football knowledge.

There's nothing wrong with wanting change, but it's a very good thing fans have zero input when it comes to plugging-and-chugging personnel and tweaking offensive schemes. If we fans coached Iowa, I don't think we'd beat Cornell College, let alone a B1G team.
Here’s the reality I believe - QB1 and Coaches probably get more credit than they deserve for each win, and conversely probably get more criticism than they deserve for each loss. It’s great to see the overall success we’ve had in recent years, and it’s natural to dream, might we be good enough some day to win the B10 CCG and/or be a surprise playoff team? OP came on the heels of freshly re-watching entire UK Bowl without distraction. I’ve been following Iowa Football closely since Kyle McCann (hometown boy) led us to Alamo Bowl victory, so I can only compare from that point.

That being said, despite earlier team success in ‘20 and first half of ‘21, it’s been a completely different story with SP since then. Along with many on this board, I’ve rooted and tried hard to be supportive, because he’s been a good teammate and the Coaches have obviously invested a massive amount of time, practices, and reps with this young man. After 19 games of experience, there’s just no more room for underperformance. I do hope he proves me wrong this Fall, and that he’s worked out all of the kinks by the end of Summer. If not, the mystery of whether or not Padilla/Labas is ready to take the reins MUST be something we see sooner than later on the field, given so much excellent supporting cast we have returning for 2022!

Last edited:
Reactions: littlez and Ree4
You're just pointing out to us "whiners," that Ferentz and his staff cannot recruit a QB that can do more than just manage a game. You watch ANY other college football game and you see two QB's that can throw the ball effectively. Not Iowa, and you seem OK with that fact. Many of us aren't.

You're just pointing out to us "whiners," that Ferentz and his staff cannot recruit a QB that can do more than just manage a game. You watch ANY other college football game and you see two QB's that can throw the ball effectively. Not Iowa, and you seem OK with that fact. Many of us aren't.
Given that 4 of our previous 5 QB's (Stanley, Beathard, Rudock, Stanzi) were drafted, I think you're a bit off here. We're in a period where it would seem we've had a couple misses, but, in general, we've had some pretty decent QBs over the last decade+.

I apologize if that doesn't fit your agenda...

Thought I'd read after the bowl game that Petras had some continuing chest/ribs issues from the end of the season games and that he didn't have much bowl prep. I also wonder if the late-minute scratch of WR Johnson had anything to do with our game plan.

Thought I'd read after the bowl game that Petras had some continuing chest/ribs issues from the end of the season games and that he didn't have much bowl prep. I also wonder if the late-minute scratch of WR Johnson had anything to do with our game plan.
Didn’t hear about this at all - do you have a link for this source?

There were some folks on this board, believe it or not, that blamed the defense for the loss….because they did not stop Kentucky’s game winning drive.

They placed no blame on the fact Iowa’s offense went 3-out on two of their last 3 possessions.

The reason we while about Petras so much is because it is so blatantly obvious what is wrong with this team and the coaching staff does nothing to address it. They spend all year recruiting, lifting weights, watching film but know if it is 3rd and 8 there is almost no chance of Petras making a play and extending the drive. It was thing if they are out there trying to fix it but they just double down, and need more "work".

I will keep whining because we all can see this train wreck coming in the fall.

There were some folks on this board, believe it or not, that blamed the defense for the loss….because they did not stop Kentucky’s game winning drive.

They placed no blame on the fact Iowa’s offense went 3-out on two of their last 3 possessions.

Well to be fair, the defense was the only squad with the talent to actually pull off the win...

Reactions: amahawk
That was a lot of words to say “Petras sucks”
Lol, another armchair OC.
You are obviously are visually impaired if you saw more than what was described. Another game where the Defense plays their asses off and our HC and OC waste the opportunity to probably put the game away on fourth and less than one half yard against a depleted defense no less.

I know how Phil Parker would see it. 100% he would say was on the defense to protect and preserve the lead.

The reason we while about Petras so much is because it is so blatantly obvious what is wrong with this team and the coaching staff does nothing to address it. They spend all year recruiting, lifting weights, watching film but know if it is 3rd and 8 there is almost no chance of Petras making a play and extending the drive. It was thing if they are out there trying to fix it but they just double down, and need more "work".

I will keep whining because we all can see this train wreck coming in the fall.
Rather than get my undies in a wad over what might happen this fall, I'll sit back and see what really happens.

This reminds me of people bitching about the team mid season with 5 more games to go and assuming losses in some or all remaining games, then using that hypothetical w/l record to indict the staff. You have your assumptions about what will happen this fall....if that happens, you'll do plenty of whining then. Can you just wait to whine about then rather than having the nonstop tantrum all year long? My kids behave better than half the posters on this board.

Didn’t hear about this at all - do you have a link for this source?
No link but in the build up to the bowl game and during they said SP was still dinged from that hit he took in the B10 Championship game. I hope they figured out what was wrong with Keagan Johnson, he had some sort of mystery abdominal injury as well.

Reactions: AirForceChiefO
Given that 4 of our previous 5 QB's (Stanley, Beathard, Rudock, Stanzi) were drafted, I think you're a bit off here. We're in a period where it would seem we've had a couple misses, but, in general, we've had some pretty decent QBs over the last decade+.

I apologize if that doesn't fit your agenda...
What about our last 5 or so signed qbs? Only 1 of those guys you mention has played for Iowa the last half decade.

We haven't signed a good QB in years.

Reactions: not_mantiteo

There's more than a couple morons here. That or bf has multiple bots :)

I know how Phil Parker would see it. 100% he would say was on the defense to protect and preserve the lead.
Same with any other coach...what would you expect him to say?? Derp derp

I'd hope bf and Petras would say that if they did, even a mediocre job, the defense wouldn't have needed another stop.

Derpity derp derp

Reactions: not_mantiteo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT