ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky/Bowl Rewind - A Much Closer Look

It is crazy that when the season ends how quickly people will forget how god awful things were. And then say people are on here complaining just to complain. But why don't you see anyone complaining about the defense? Well because rightfully so there is nothing to complain about. But did you read the OPs post? Petras only made one downfield completion the entire second half and we still almost won in spite of it! It is beyond frustrating because if we just had an average/competent QB or offense this team would be top contenders in the West damn near every year with the defense and special teams they put out.

The reason we while about Petras so much is because it is so blatantly obvious what is wrong with this team and the coaching staff does nothing to address it. They spend all year recruiting, lifting weights, watching film but know if it is 3rd and 8 there is almost no chance of Petras making a play and extending the drive. It was thing if they are out there trying to fix it but they just double down, and need more "work".

I will keep whining because we all can see this train wreck coming in the fall.

This statement shows just how ill informed you really are.

The thing is, I really think a lot fewer people disagree with this than the OP seems to think. It’s just that the backup had tons of chances and look at his stats. And evidently the third stringer was so bad we might as well not even get on the bus to go to the game rather than give him a shot.

I’ve seen a bunch of interviews with Petras and he always comes across as very smart and likable and he’s not shy about letting everyone know that he is well aware he needs to get better. Here’s hoping we have much improved QB play this year. There was nothing in the OP to really disagree with, other than it sucks taking shots at kids that are trying so hard and that obviously want to be better just as much as we all do.
Please define “tons of chances”? Or did you accidentally mean Petras has had a ton of chances (19 games experience) instead of Padilla (little over 3 games experience - all of which led to Hawk wins when he started and completed those games)?

This statement shows just how ill informed you really are.
Sorry but what are you talking about? Have you watched an Iowa game? Please explain.

And just some stats SP is ranked near the bottom of NCAA for passer rating, was in the 57% in completion %, threw almost as many INTs as TDs (10) which was awful. He is tied for 2nd to last in Big Ten for yards....

The SP/apologists on this board are plentiful every year during the offseason and then when the season starts they all but disappear for some reason?

So assuming the Coaches knew this before the Bowl game (which is possibly why Kirk waited so long to name a QB starter), does this mean an “injured” SP was giving us a better chance to win that game instead of a healthy AP?
I suppose so. I think Kirk, Brian and staff had the Neb in their head where AP didn't have a good game at all however as noted a bunch of players had the flu that week, it was a short week and AP wasn't 100% either.

SP took a shot in that Mich game and it obviously lingered into bowl game. I'm just waiting for the Rivals servers to meltdown in Sept. when SP doesn't perform well and Kirk and company leave him in there.

I know Petras is the starting heading into fall camp...but I honestly feel if he doesn't perform the best in fall camp...he won't be starting. I think this is still an open competition and Padilla and Labas are in the mix.

That being said, Petras has shown he has the ability...he has the understanding of the offense...he needs to perform or he sits period.

It is crazy that when the season ends how quickly people will forget how god awful things were. And then say people are on here complaining just to complain. But why don't you see anyone complaining about the defense? Well because rightfully so there is nothing to complain about. But did you read the OPs post? Petras only made one downfield completion the entire second half and we still almost won in spite of it! It is beyond frustrating because if we just had an average/competent QB or offense this team would be top contenders in the West damn near every year with the defense and special teams they put out.
Yep. Hell I don't even b1tch about the line. Poor recruiting/mgmt put them a position to suck lol. Should be too much better this year!

No excuse for a 3rd or 4th yr qb to be so bad though. No excuse for such a mediocre oc either....

What I don't understand is how they didn't play both QBs especially given the fact that Petras wasn't 100%.
I’ve seen interviews with Kirk in years past where he has basically said that if a team has two QBs they really have zero. And as a general rule I agree with that. But when things are going as poorly as they have at times it makes me wonder if it could really be any worse and what do we really have to lose by mixing it up a bit.

Please define “tons of chances”? Or did you accidentally mean Petras has had a ton of chances (19 games experience) instead of Padilla (little over 3 games experience - all of which led to Hawk wins when he started and completed those games)?
That’s a fair point. Compared to most backups Padilla has gotten way more chances but I know there are plenty of QBs that go on to be successful even after a rough start in their first few games. Hopefully Padilla makes big strides this off-season. I’ve always rooted for him, I used to watch him in high school as he went to a school a few miles down the road from me here in Denver.

Reactions: iowaflash
That’s a fair point. Compared to most backups Padilla has gotten way more chances but I know there are plenty of QBs that go on to be successful even after a rough start in their first few games. Hopefully Padilla makes big strides this off-season. I’ve always rooted for him, I used to watch him in high school as he went to a school a few miles down the road from me here in Denver.
Padilla seemed confident in his improvement during the Chad Leskow (sp?) video interview right after the Spring Game concluded. Also I heard in the off season he’s put on 10 pounds of good weight, going from approx. 198 to 208. Contrary to what some might think on this board, I’m not his brother, relative, nor do I even know him. I only believe strongly that in his limited game appearances, he’s earned the right to get a much longer look/game experience, while seeing how Petras likely isn’t our long-term solution at QB1. With so much returning supporting cast, we technically only need an accountable QB, who can make the makeables and extend drives…..we should never see opponents like Kentucky put 10 guys in the box, and still be able to stop us!

This year, when petras still can't hit the broad side of a barn, just remember they had 3 years of knowing his skillset and still didn't go Juco or the portal. "He just needs a full spring" "he just needs a great offensive line"....
And I'm sure this year it'll be something like "Well if Linderbaum didn't leave early..."

It's always something.

I know Petras is the starting heading into fall camp...but I honestly feel if he doesn't perform the best in fall camp...he won't be starting. I think this is still an open competition and Padilla and Labas are in the mix.

That being said, Petras has shown he has the ability...he has the understanding of the offense...he needs to perform or he sits period.
Still an open competition ? Perform or he sits? Where have you been for the last 2 years?

Reactions: littlez
I’ve seen interviews with Kirk in years past where he has basically said that if a team has two QBs they really have zero. And as a general rule I agree with that. But when things are going as poorly as they have at times it makes me wonder if it could really be any worse and what do we really have to lose by mixing it up a bit.
Just think about the bolded. Does that really make any sense or is it just "coach speak" to give them cover for having to make an intelligent decision? OSU won the NC a few years ago with the third team QB. I quess that means that the second guy resulted in zero and the third guy created a negative.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Padilla seemed confident in his improvement during the Chad Leskow (sp?) video interview right after the Spring Game concluded. Also I heard in the off season he’s put on 10 pounds of good weight, going from approx. 198 to 208. Contrary to what some might think on this board, I’m not his brother, relative, nor do I even know him. I only believe strongly that in his limited game appearances, he’s earned the right to get a much longer look/game experience, while seeing how Petras likely isn’t our long-term solution at QB1. With so much returning supporting cast, we technically only need an accountable QB, who can make the makeables and extend drives…..we should never see opponents like Kentucky put 10 guys in the box, and still be able to stop us!
Very well stated.

Some on here will say that’s part of Kirks strategy. We lead pretty much the entire game and then finally KY made a few plays. So honestly it almost did work. Our defense was dominant most of the game. Punt and play field position with the lead. Wear your defense down to the point the other team has run 30 more plays and then say it’s a team game, o line has to be better, etc. when we all know that if we could have probably gotten just 1 extra 1st down we could have won that game. But sure, it’s a team game. 😏

Sorry but what are you talking about? Have you watched an Iowa game? Please explain.

And just some stats SP is ranked near the bottom of NCAA for passer rating, was in the 57% in completion %, threw almost as many INTs as TDs (10) which was awful. He is tied for 2nd to last in Big Ten for yards....

The SP/apologists on this board are plentiful every year during the offseason and then when the season starts they all but disappear for some reason?
I'm not a Petras apologist and I agree with you on the fact that Petras is the weak link in the Iowa offense. Your claim of "coaching staff does nothing to address it" is just silly and over the top. The amount of time the coaches spend on the team with the goal of winning every game is 80+ hours each week.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kurt Warner
I'm not a Petras apologist and I agree with you on the fact that Petras is the weak link in the Iowa offense. Your claim of "coaching staff does nothing to address it" is just silly and over the top. The amount of time the coaches spend on the team with the goal of winning ever game is 80+ hours each week.
What have they done to address it? They are doubling down and will trot SP out there this year and the first signs of poor play unfortunately the boos from the crowd will starting coming down.

Not only did they not address it the situation got worse with the transfer of Charlie Jones and you could tell they were caught with their pants down because they have no one coming in to fill that roll. WRs will leave if the O coordinator or QB can’t get them the ball.

What about our last 5 or so signed qbs? Only 1 of those guys you mention has played for Iowa the last half decade.

We haven't signed a good QB in years.
Whoa wait a minute. You jockeys say they have the right one he is just riding the bench.

That Nate Stanley kid he was just terrible wasn’t he.

What have they done to address it? They are doubling down and will trot SP out there this year and the first signs of poor play unfortunately the boos from the crowd will starting coming down.

Not only did they not address it the situation got worse with the transfer of Charlie Jones and you could tell they were caught with their pants down because they have no one coming in to fill that roll. WRs will leave if the O coordinator or QB can’t get them the ball.

Dude, you how are you not a D1 football coach? You could address all weaknesses, never lose a game, and therefore win the national title.

Originally watched this Bowl Game with friends, and talked too much with them while watching the game. Decided to rewatch by myself, paying particularly close attention to key parts, both ups and downs. After a big butt kicking from a legit playoff team, this was a huge opportunity to take down a good, but beatable 9 win SEC team. At halftime, our solid defense had 3 sacks while holding UK to 13 points in almost 20 minutes of possession time. Though our running game appeared decent, our offense was held to only 127 total yards in barely 10 minutes of possession time, scoring just 3 points while going 0 for 4 in third down conversions (with 2 INT’s).

For those that like to point out how statistically bad Padilla played (while winning games), this first half by a Hawk QB my HR friends, has to be one of the most porous in recent memory. Could the 2nd half get any worse for a 19 game experienced QB?

At the beginning of the 2nd half, Petras did have ONE good long throw to LaPorta (the other long one on paper that went for a TD was actually a 10 yard toss with a 30 yard run). But after that, Petras had no downfield completions the rest of the game, wildly missing wide open targets (at least two to Ragaini and one to Bruce). Nonetheless, our defense kept playing lights out, and after coming up big with a 4th down stop, we had the ball on the 35 yard line with only 7 minutes to play, leading 17-13. This normally is money time for an accountable QB….get some first downs and run the clock. Possible at this time? Nope, 3 and out. After punting, UK with the ball back on their own 11 with 6 minutes left to play. Again defense does its job, ending UK drive with an INT, at the 4 minute mark on the Iowa 35 yard line. Can we get some first downs now and seal the game? Nope. Ferentz no confidence in Petras throwing, so he hands off 3 consecutive times, as UK expects as much (10 in the box), and with burning TO’s, they again force a 3 and out to make us punt. Ferentz with no confidence in Petras results in leaning one too many times on the defense, and UK gets the ball back with 3 1/2 minutes left. So we all know that finally UK scores to take the lead, but we still have one more chance to send the game into OT, with 1:48 left, needing only about 40 yards to get into Shudak’s kicking range. After a couple of short yard passes to LaPorta, and running backs doing their part, can the QB finally redeem himself for a mostly miserable game? No. When just five yards away from a makeable Shudak kick, Petras throws wild for his 3rd interception, and that’s the game with under a minute left, as UK kills the rest of the clock.

This game was worse watching it by myself, and seeing this QB let down the rest of the team. You can’t go to the well (defense) that many times, because of an unaccountable QB. This was all on Petras. Please no comments on how SP led us to 12 consecutive wins, because this is ancient history now, given the most recent past. The 2022 Hawks have huge potential in front of them, and they DON’T deserve a QB that can’t make the makeables or find a way to sustain drives against good teams…..2 for 6 in 3rd down situations where you’re only 1 to 4 yards away is UNACCEPTABLE. And ZERO catches by WR’s Ragaini and Jones (Johnson didn’t play) is UNACCEPTABLE in a bowl game. Gavin Williams ran for 6 yards average per carry, and OL didn’t yield a sack (defense had 6 sacks and held UK running to 2.6 yards average per carry), so please tell me HOW DID WE LOSE THAT GAME??? I think we actually do know, and I think we also know who else must be given their rightful game opportunities/chances in 2022……
Simply an awesome post thank you!

Dude, you how are you not a D1 football coach? You could address all weaknesses, never lose a game, and therefore win the national title.
Dude. If you could point out anything I said as wrong I’d happily apologize.

Until then you’re just an apologist who will be silent when the games start while we watch our defense bail out our offense every game.

Dude. If you could point out anything I said as wrong I’d happily apologize.

Until then you’re just an apologist who will be silent when the games start while we watch our defense bail out our offense every game.

3 things you said that are wrong. 1) We both know you are not a "happily apologize" type of person. 2) I'm not a Petras apologist. 3) I don't stay silent when my Hawks win a game.

Reactions: Frosty7130
The thing is, I really think a lot fewer people disagree with this than the OP seems to think. It’s just that the backup had tons of chances and look at his stats. And evidently the third stringer was so bad we might as well not even get on the bus to go to the game rather than give him a shot.

I’ve seen a bunch of interviews with Petras and he always comes across as very smart and likable and he’s not shy about letting everyone know that he is well aware he needs to get better. Here’s hoping we have much improved QB play this year. There was nothing in the OP to really disagree with, other than it sucks taking shots at kids that are trying so hard and that obviously want to be better just as much as we all do.
That's great that he wants to be better, but this is D1 big ten football, not weekend peewee football. I place zero blame on him, all on the coaches. The rest of the team deserves someone in that position that gives them better results

That's great that he wants to be better, but this is D1 big ten football, not weekend peewee football. I place zero blame on him, all on the coaches. The rest of the team deserves someone in that position that gives them better results
Yeah, I hate the mentality of “oh he’s a good guy and he says he’s getting better. Let’s give him the benefit of a doubt for the third straight year”. It’s like, no, you’ve had your chance and you’ve consistently shown you’re one of the worst QBs in CFB. Move on. He seems like a great guy, but being a great guy doesn’t make you a D1 caliber QB all on its own.

Yeah, I hate the mentality of “oh he’s a good guy and he says he’s getting better. Let’s give him the benefit of a doubt for the third straight year”. It’s like, no, you’ve had your chance and you’ve consistently shown you’re one of the worst QBs in CFB. Move on. He seems like a great guy, but being a great guy doesn’t make you a D1 caliber QB all on its own.
Actually, if Petras continues to struggle it is not only a disservice to the team to keep playing him, but a disservice to Petras as well. Why subject him to boos and criticism week in and week out if he is playing poorly?

I hope he finally puts it together this year and does well. If not, then try someone else.

Actually, if Petras continues to struggle it is not only a disservice to the team to keep playing him, but a disservice to Petras as well. Why subject him to boos and criticism week in and week out if he is playing poorly?

I hope he finally puts it together this year and does well. If not, then try someone else.

I think we all want Iowa to win the B10 championship for once, as they've come close.

Surely, even the most stubborn homers, lapdogs, fluffers, and blind followers of BF should admit by now that the qb play of Petras is not going to get us there. The score last year was 42-3.

If we made it to the playoffs, I predict he'd get relentlessly sacked, throw balls into the stands, dive into stacked lines on fourth down, and heave bewildering picks and quite possibly ridiculous pick sixes. The SEC team of your choice would completely annihilate our cardboard cutout of a quarterback.

It's not just a handful of critical fans. Most sportswriters agree, and have from the outset. Here's one from Petras's first few games that sounds pretty familiar...

I think we all want Iowa to win the B10 championship for once, as they've come close.

Surely, even the most stubborn homers, lapdogs, fluffers, and blind followers of BF should admit by now that the qb play of Petras is not going to get us there. The score last year was 42-3.

If we made it to the playoffs, I predict he'd get relentlessly sacked, throw balls into the stands, dive into stacked lines on fourth down, and heave bewildering picks and quite possibly ridiculous pick sixes. The SEC team of your choice would completely annihilate our cardboard cutout of a quarterback.

It's not just a handful of critical fans. Most sportswriters agree, and have from the outset. Here's one from Petras's first few games that sounds pretty familiar...

Totally agree. Another thing I noticed more than once in the Bowl game with Kentucky (never heard he still had nagging injuries) was that many passes were attempted in double or triple coverage? How about having some faith in your other targets, and not just TE LaPorta time after time? Ragaini for instance is a good receiver, if you can just get him the ball?

I don't get wanting to re-watch that dreck.

The D carried the team again for the most part until giving up that final score and the offense was putrid lead by the once again poor performance of the qb.

Unless I'm a coach watching it for teaching purposes I have no interest in seeing that game again. Ever.

Reactions: nbanflfactory
I don't get wanting to re-watch that dreck.

The D carried the team again for the most part until giving up that final score and the offense was putrid lead by the once again poor performance of the qb.

Unless I'm a coach watching it for teaching purposes I have no interest in seeing that game again. Ever.
Part of the reason why I re-hash this last game, is there was in fact many bright spots aside from the final score. Did anyone expect us to get 6 sacks against Kentucky while our OL gave up none? Did anyone expect Gavin Williams to get 6 yards per carry average, while our defense held a very good Kentucky running offense to only 2.6 yards per carry average? Many things to be encouraged about going into 2022.

And when you see everything we didn’t do as well (as you knew we were capable of doing), the one recurring theme is it was all tied back to a less than 100% QB1, and yet Coaches still gave him opportunity after opportunity to prove his asset value. The very last offensive play (wild throw INT) summed up exactly why he shouldn’t have been allowed to continue in that game (similar to NW), and perhaps he should have been honest enough with KF and BF, about the nagging injuries affecting his play…..a true team player might have allowed a healthy and ready QB to take over, putting us in a much better position to win and extend one of the longest bowl streaks in the country!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT