ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky/Bowl Rewind - A Much Closer Look

Part of the reason why I re-hash this last game, is there was in fact many bright spots aside from the final score. Did anyone expect us to get 6 sacks against Kentucky while our OL gave up none? Did anyone expect Gavin Williams to get 6 yards per carry average, while our defense held a very good Kentucky running offense to only 2.6 yards per carry average? Many things to be encouraged about going into 2022.

And when you see everything we didn’t do as well (as you knew we were capable of doing), the one recurring theme is it was all tied back to a less than 100% QB1, and yet Coaches still gave him opportunity after opportunity to prove his asset value. The very last offensive play (wild throw INT) summed up exactly why he shouldn’t have been allowed to continue in that game (similar to NW), and perhaps he should have been honest enough with KF and BF about the nagging injuries affecting his play…..a true team player might have allowed a healthy and ready QB to take over, putting us in a much better position to win and extend one of the longest bowl streaks in the country!
I wish I could find the post-bowl game comments about Petras' nagging injuries leading up to the bowl game. But then I remember CJ Beathard's injuries in the the Outback bowl game (started the second half on one leg) v UF and Stanley didn't play until the game was well out of hand. Don't know why we continue to do that with our QB's.

I wish I could find the post-bowl game comments about Petras' nagging injuries leading up to the bowl game. But then I remember CJ Beathard's injuries in the the Outback bowl game (started the second half on one leg) v UF and Stanley didn't play until the game was well out of hand. Don't know why we continue to do that with our QB's.
You'd be surprised just how many players are fighting through injuries.

I played 40 games at a D-III school, and maybe 15 of those I was 100% healthy. It's certainly worse at a D1, especially with Iowa's style of play and practice.

He had major health issues. Most players did not expect him to play.
Why then take a chance on aggravating the major health issues? Did we not have another QB ready that could do at least as much as he could do?

He had major health issues. Most players did not expect him to play.
See around 6th paragraph in below article where on December 28, 2021 Petras was quoted as being 100% healthy with no limitations right before the Bowl game:

Last edited:
In this post-game interview below with Petras, there’s no mention of nagging injuries at all. When asked about how he evaluated his own overall performance, he simply says, “not good enough “:

Last edited:
Reactions: David1979
Believe what you want.
By this response, is it your contention that Petras intentionally lied to the media (and coaches) about being 100% healthy on 12/28, just to prevent Padilla from taking his place? And if this isn’t true, why would Petras actually say different in the video interview?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ree4
QB play and the offense sucked. it is time for the Ferentz family to get it in gear!

See around 6th paragraph in below article where on December 28, 2021 Petras was quoted as being 100% healthy with no limitations right before the Bowl game:

Except it has been revealed after the fact that Petras wasn't 100%

By this response, is it your contention that Petras intentionally lied to the media (and coaches) about being 100% healthy on 12/28, just to prevent Padilla from taking his place? And if this isn’t true, why would Petras actually say different in the video interview?
Nothing Petras said prevented Padilla from playing.

Reactions: dadster
Wow. It’s a legitimate question, as to why SP would affirm he’s 100% with no limitations right before Bowl game, then supposedly this wasn’t true after the Bowl game? Or does someone not understand what 100% means? I used to have a lot more respect for your posts. No more…..

• Haha
Reactions: David1979
Wow. It’s a legitimate question, as to why SP would affirm he’s 100% with no limitations right before Bowl game, then supposedly this wasn’t true after the Bowl game? Or does someone not understand what 100% means? I used to have a lot more respect for your posts. No more…..
That's what's your mom said.

• Wow
Reactions: Kurt Warner
Ok so you’re 15 years old, and don’t know what else to say, so find something else to do instead of responding to this thread. You’ve already revealed your complete lack of class and maturity…..
Say hi to your mom for me.

Say hi to Padilla being worse than Petras.
Happy to wave at 3-0 Padilla (last 8 games with most meaningful minutes) vs. 1-4 Petras (last 8 games with most meaningful minutes). If that’s worse, I’ll take it every day and twice on Saturday….

Happy to wave at 3-0 Padilla (last 8 games with most meaningful minutes) vs. 1-4 Petras (last 8 games with most meaningful minutes). If that’s worse, I’ll take it every day and twice on Saturday….
Wow, you are really dumb!

I don't know if he was 100% or not. If he wasn't, he probably would not admit to it before the game.

It is hard to add something to an opinion that
It is hard to add something to an opinion that stupid.
Obviously you have nothing factual to back up your claims or to dispute my facts, and apparently you’ve anointed yourself the HR judge, who determines which opinions are worthy to be on this board? Get over yourself and your childish responses…..

Obviously you have nothing factual to back up your claims or to dispute my facts, and apparently you’ve anointed yourself the HR judge, who determines which opinions are worthy to be on this board? Get over yourself and your childish responses…..
Look at the stats, Einstein. Maybe the worst starting QB under Ferentz is still better than Padilla.

Look at the stats, Einstein. Maybe the worst starting QB under Ferentz is still better than Padilla.
Look at the stats from the 2022 Spring Game, Einstein, and tell me who you think shows the latest proof of improving more? Also, I don’t care if it’s Labas or Padilla getting the next shot at QB1….there’s absolutely no reason, especially after the Citrus Bowl to keep hoping with Petras……you are a classic SP apologist, who’d prefer to see Iowa lose a game woefully because of QB1 play, than be statistically inferior……now go back to salivating over statistically impressive Iowa recruits, where you belong……

Look at the stats from the 2022 Spring Game, Einstein, and tell me who you think shows the latest proof of improving more? Also, I don’t care if it’s Labas or Padilla getting the next shot at QB1….there’s absolutely no reason, especially after the Citrus Bowl to keep hoping with Petras……you are a classic SP apologist, who’d prefer to see Iowa lose a game woefully because of QB1 play, than be statistically inferior……now go back to salivating over statistically impressive Iowa recruits, where you belong……
I don't think anything, positive or negative can be gleaned from the spring game considering

A) it's a spring game
B) nearly half the team was in street clothes

I don't think anything, positive or negative can be gleaned from the spring game considering

A) it's a spring game
B) nearly half the team was in street clothes
This may be true, but it’s the only public event since the Citrus Bowl that might give us a small clue as to who was trending up and who perhaps is trending further down…

It is crazy that when the season ends how quickly people will forget how god awful things were. And then say people are on here complaining just to complain. But why don't you see anyone complaining about the defense? Well because rightfully so there is nothing to complain about. But did you read the OPs post? Petras only made one downfield completion the entire second half and we still almost won in spite of it! It is beyond frustrating because if we just had an average/competent QB or offense this team would be top contenders in the West damn near every year with the defense and special teams they put out.
LOL...other than Petra's and one year with Vandenberg, we've had better than average/competent QBs since 2007. The hyperbole is stupid. Petra's has not been good, no need to exaggerate.
Please define “tons of chances”? Or did you accidentally mean Petras has had a ton of chances (19 games experience) instead of Padilla (little over 3 games experience - all of which led to Hawk wins when he started and completed those games)?
We lose to Neb if Padilla stays in the game

LOL...other than Petra's and one year with Vandenberg, we've had better than average/competent QBs since 2007. The hyperbole is stupid. Petra's has not been good, no need to exaggerate.

We lose to Neb if Padilla stays in the game
And we lose to Northwestern if Petras stays in that game. Sounds like in the last 8 games, you’ve got the second half of Neb to point to, aside from all other halves against all other teams where he consistently underperformed. Another SP apologist….

And we lose to Northwestern if Petras stays in that game. Sounds like in the last 8 games, you’ve got the second half of Neb to point to, aside from all other halves against all other teams where he consistently underperformed. Another SP apologist….
Other than the fact that I've been clear in all my posts that Petras hasn't been good, and clear in the post you quoted ("Petra's has not been good, no need to exaggerate."), sure, I'm an "apologist". Your need to label people and assign them to a side in your jihad is ridiculous. I haven't seen a single person who says Petras was even average, yet anyone who says Padilla was not a clear improvement, or that his stats are worse than Petras' is a "Petra apologist". Guess what? You're a douche. Grow the eff up dude.

Reactions: NI hawk
that was a really long sentence…..I went crosseyed trying to read it….

punctuate occasionally and hit return once in awhile and your douchey criticism of Petras will be easier to read
Didn’t call him names or slam him in any personal way - all factual (let me know which facts you disagree with).

Props for SP coming to Iowa from California in 2018, and trying the best he can.

Unfortunately after a 19 games long evaluation, it’s better to give another Iowa recruited QB his proper and similar evaluation of play (Labas or Padilla), and hopefully eliminate lack of effective throwing (or lack of effective mobility) being a huge liability to the team…..

Other than the fact that I've been clear in all my posts that Petras hasn't been good, and clear in the post you quoted ("Petra's has not been good, no need to exaggerate."), sure, I'm an "apologist". Your need to label people and assign them to a side in your jihad is ridiculous. I haven't seen a single person who says Petras was even average, yet anyone who says Padilla was not a clear improvement, or that his stats are worse than Petras' is a "Petra apologist". Guess what? You're a douche. Grow the eff up dude.
If you’re not an SP apologist, then why keep bringing up over and over again about the Nebraska 2nd half out of the last 8 games? You completely ignore previously stated circumstances with Padilla and the first half of that game….plus if you’re going out of your way to highlight Neb 2nd half, what about all of the halves with Purdue, Wisconsin (completely horrible 1st half), Michigan, and worst of all Kentucky (both halves)? Give someone else a chance at QB1 is my point from the beginning. We absolutely can’t do worse, even if new QB is reading plays from his arm!

The spring practice lol

I think Petras has been mostly bad but I also see he was better than Padilla. That’s not an apologist.

ADVERTISEMENT