ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky/Bowl Rewind - A Much Closer Look

Pretty sure I said Spring Game, not the 15 practices leading up to the public event where SP accomplished getting 3 points while he was with the first-teamers, lol
There wasn’t a game. And by all accounts Petras was the best QB in the Spring. I don’t like it and you may not like it but those are the facts.

• Haha
Reactions: iowa_potato
15 year old reply again, and can’t answer a direct question……just run along.
Because you think the presence of refs makes it an actual game. The coaches would also tell you it’s not a game and anyone there can tell you it’s not a game. Not sure how you don’t understand something that simple.

Yes, Petras had a poor game. I thought the play calling on the next to last Iowa possession when they had the lead was iffy. Why? I havent watch the replay in awhile but I the espn play by play shows the first down play was straight ahead power run for good 6 yards.

Then another basic straight ahead run for 3 yards.

The 3rd down play was a sort of slightly delayed, counter action handoff which gave Kentucky's packed in the box more time to penetrate. G Williams was running at a 45 degree angle to the LOS which made this a stupid call.

I really think the 3rd down play has to be another straight ahead fairly quick hitting run rather than a slower developing, slanted run play. The hawks had it blocked pretty well but iirc one of their players had time to get a little penetration and trip up the running back.

Kirk heard the play call I am almost sure and Brian F got too cute.

To me, if Brian wanted to get cute a better play was straight ahead power play action fake and then Petras has a run pass option where he just finds one seam and falls forward for 2 yards, or he can rpo to laporta or jones.

I hope this year the power run game is dynamic and can get a 5 yard + avg

Originally watched this Bowl Game with friends, and talked too much with them while watching the game. Decided to rewatch by myself, paying particularly close attention to key parts, both ups and downs. After a big butt kicking from a legit playoff team, this was a huge opportunity to take

I just posted a reply but can you also describe the 3rd and 1 yard play that got stuffed leading to Kirk making the decision to punt that final time?

I remember it as somewhat slower developing play in the backfield with maybe a pulling linemen.

How would you describe that play since you recently watched it? Thanks in advance

• Haha
I just posted a reply but can you also describe the 3rd and 1 yard play that got stuffed leading to Kirk making the decision to punt that final time?

I remember it as somewhat slower developing play in the backfield with maybe a pulling linemen.

How would you describe that play since you recently watched it? Thanks in advance
Happy to review DVR and report back, but will likely take about a week since I’m presently out of state for the next few days….thinking this was the one where UK literally had 10 in the box on this stuffed play, either on the line of scrimmage, or within 2-3 feet of it…..then we tried to draw them offsides on 4th down, but obviously didn’t work, prior to punting.

• Haha
Yes, Petras had a poor game. I thought the play calling on the next to last Iowa possession when they had the lead was iffy. Why? I havent watch the replay in awhile but I the espn play by play shows the first down play was straight ahead power run for good 6 yards.

Then another basic straight ahead run for 3 yards.

The 3rd down play was a sort of slightly delayed, counter action handoff which gave Kentucky's packed in the box more time to penetrate. G Williams was running at a 45 degree angle to the LOS which made this a stupid call.

I really think the 3rd down play has to be another straight ahead fairly quick hitting run rather than a slower developing, slanted run play. The hawks had it blocked pretty well but iirc one of their players had time to get a little penetration and trip up the running back.

Kirk heard the play call I am almost sure and Brian F got too cute.

To me, if Brian wanted to get cute a better play was straight ahead power play action fake and then Petras has a run pass option where he just finds one seam and falls forward for 2 yards, or he can rpo to laporta or jones.

I hope this year the power run game is dynamic and can get a 5 yard + avg
That's the EXACT play if we were to pinpoint that lost the game. Either sneak the ball, go power with a FB or RB or give SP the run/pass option.
Personally, and from my couch I'd have called the missile pitch, which worked well several times to TG over the past few years. What kind of time was on the clock then? 4 or 5 minutes? First down there really puts them in a bad spot and the Defensive PI on their last drive on Moss was very 50/50.

Lol the third down play was not slow developing, a counter, or had lineman pull.

I rewatched that play and it was not slow developing counter. It was a direct handoff and they had a guy sneak in unblocked over right guard and tackle to ankle tackle a guy heading toward the other side of the formation. But the ball carrier was running at close to 45 degrees to the LOS. I think if you call that kind of play it is better to run straight at them as they get to the LSO quicker with straight ahead blocking.

I rewatched that play and it was not slow developing counter. It was a direct handoff and they had a guy sneak in unblocked over right guard and tackle to ankle tackle a guy heading toward the other side of the formation. But the ball carrier was running at close to 45 degrees to the LOS. I think if you call that kind of play it is better to run straight at them as they get to the LSO quicker with straight ahead blocking.
Nah, you're just a silly fan. Brian knows what he's doing.....

You got a better play that doesn’t invoke the LG getting stood up losing ground at the snap? You want to run behind our center that took his third career snap at that position? If Ince doesn’t get stood up we probably convert.

There were some folks on this board, believe it or not, that blamed the defense for the loss….because they did not stop Kentucky’s game winning drive.

They placed no blame on the fact Iowa’s offense went 3-out on two of their last 3 possessions.
I don’t blame the defense for the loss, but it was far from their best game also.

Reactions: iowaflash
True….but they did only give up 20 points….and only 7 in the second half.

Yup but on the flip side they didn’t force any turnovers and struggled to get off the field. Ironically for all that Spencer struggled it was the best performance in terms of total yardage by the offense all season…in less than 23 min of TOP.

Reactions: shanksit44
You got a better play that doesn’t invoke the LG getting stood up losing ground at the snap? You want to run behind our center that took his third career snap at that position? If Ince doesn’t get stood up we probably convert.

The tackler blitzed between RT and Right TE. The had one more tackler than we had blocker. All I am saying is a more straight ahead play gets the running back to the LOS quicker and maybe cleaner without getting tripped up.

I have to say also if the play was designed for GWilliams to run at the left side at an angle then the right side of the offensive line missed that block as they should have locked up those gaps from the Center to Right Guard to Left Tackle to Right Tight End. The right tight end turned to the outside to block that man who was farther from where the play was going.

It was too bad but in the end Kirk could have won the game pretty much if they went for it on 4th down and made it. Plus Kirk knew if they didnt make it then Kentucky still needed to score a TD and things could have turned out differently.

That sequence was one of many turning points in a close game

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
The tackler blitzed between RT and Right TE. The had one more tackler than we had blocker. All I am saying is a more straight ahead play gets the running back to the LOS quicker and maybe cleaner without getting tripped up.

I have to say also if the play was designed for GWilliams to run at the left side at an angle then the right side of the offensive line missed that block as they should have locked up those gaps from the Center to Right Guard to Left Tackle to Right Tight End. The right tight end turned to the outside to block that man who was farther from where the play was going.

It was too bad but in the end Kirk could have won the game pretty much if they went for it on 4th down and made it. Plus Kirk knew if they didnt make it then Kentucky still needed to score a TD and things could have turned out differently.

That sequence was one of many turning points in a close game
We ran a straight ISZ. The play got bounced outside because the middle was clogged. A more inside play was going to have a worse result.

ADVERTISEMENT