ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky center: multi-million deal to return next season

Yes, that’s more than some first rounders will make next season. Kentucky will soon have a top 20 roster salary even for the NBA. Don’t forget Kentucky guard TyTy Washington got a free Porsche this season. How that is part of NIL is beyond me.
https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-...ltimillion-dollar-nil-deal-with-return-to-uk/
So what you are saying is that what Kentucky has been doing for the last 60 years is now public and legal :).....This is not something new.

Amazing, this guy isn’t even a projected 1st round pick.

Makes me wonder how much Keegan is worth if he came back next year.

Seriously booster step up and pay to keep Keegan, if that's the game now you need to play it.

Seriously booster step up and pay to keep Keegan, if that's the game now you need to play it.
Keegan is going to make top 15 NBA money, and he will make more longer term because he will start his NBA career sooner. You get paid on your 2nd deal.

Certainly guys projected in the 2nd round could make more for 1 year if staying in college, and try to improve their stock.

Are you suggesting that Iowa should jump on this pay for play game?
Why not? Pandora's box has been opened and its no longer illegal. If you don't want to do what you need to compete then don't bother having the major sports anymore. I was 100 percent against this as it is going to ruin the essence of college football and basketball, but unfortunately that's the game now. Adapt and survive, or stick to now irrelevant morals and become Nebraska. (The losing part, not the sticking to morals part)

Certainly those that say it won't change the game. Not that pay for play hasn't been happening but the big donor schools are really getting a get out of jail free card now.....
What gets me is there were actually people stupid enough to think this was going to help Iowa somehow.

Like Iowa was going to get into bidding wars or something.

Places like Iowa don't have the connections or the mentality to take advantage of this.

Im glad jbo is finally making his couple grand on autographs on his way out though.

Or how much he would be worth to Kentucky or Kansas to transfer next year?????
Thats the next step.

The only reason the ncaa is allowing this is so that they can continue their wildly profitable business that provides almost nothing of value or substance without public attention.

The p5 schools need to get together and tell the ncaa they are done.

Bring in a real governing body that provides oversight and full time offiacls.

Thats the next step.

The only reason the ncaa is allowing this is so that they can continue their wildly profitable business that provides almost nothing of value or substance without public attention.

The p5 schools need to get together and tell the ncaa they are done.

Bring in a real governing body that provides oversight and full time offiacls.
You think Kentucky or Duke want more oversight? Pretty sure they like the way it is now.

Dude it’s here to stay. Is what it is. We’ve never recruited in the same sandbox as Kentucky, Kansas , etc and never will. Quit crying about it.
NIL can even the playing field on recruiting, you just need to be willing to play that game. Case in point, Missouri and Kentucky ‘22 football recruiting classes. NIL money/promises were a big part of them getting the players they landed from the bog boys.

Oh, no! Kids are getting money that they deserve?!?! The horror!

God, old white people are such weird creatures.
As with everything young spoiled leftits believe.

Shortsighted to the larger implications of how sh1t actually works in the real world.

No one was stopping him from playing professionally and "getting what he deserves".

Certainly those that say it won't change the game. Not that pay for play hasn't been happening but the big donor schools are really getting a get out of jail free card now.....
Right. The "cheating" is just all in plain sight now and will encourage the rich to get even richer. Unless the NCAA steps in and puts some limits on these new rules and I'm not sure they are able or willing to do so, we may as well establish two layers of competition: The Haves and The Have-nots

Reactions: kceasthawk

Shortsighted to the larger implications of how sh1t actually works in the real world.

No one was stopping him from playing professionally and "getting what he deserves".
NIL would have been amazing when Jeremy Bloom had to choose between a football career at Colorado or skiing endorsements to help pay for his Olympic training.

It’s going to be abused, and we should all look at ways to curb that, but I just see no reason why athletes shouldn’t be able to have endorsement deals, monetize podcasts/writing, sell merch, etc. Spencer Lee can make enough money to pay for all of his Olympic training, as can Caitlin Clark. NIL deals may keep a kid in college longer to hedge on the injury risk of losing a draft slot.

For decades, all of the power has been with the schools and the NCAA and now the players get a chance to have a little say in what they do.

NIL would have been amazing when Jeremy Bloom had to choose between a football career at Colorado or skiing endorsements to help pay for his Olympic training.

It’s going to be abused, and we should all look at ways to curb that, but I just see no reason why athletes shouldn’t be able to have endorsement deals, monetize podcasts/writing, sell merch, etc. Spencer Lee can make enough money to pay for all of his Olympic training, as can Caitlin Clark. NIL deals may keep a kid in college longer to hedge on the injury risk of losing a draft slot.

For decades, all of the power has been with the schools and the NCAA and now the players get a chance to have a little say in what they do.
They always had and always will have the choice to play professionally.

Paying players with no salary cap is going to create a two tiered system.

We already had that but now the gap is going to grow every year until its stupid.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I remember the days when a coach and school were punished for giving a recruit a t-shirt or a free meal. Seems quaint now.
I remember the old anecdote that if you gave a player a bagel it was OK, but if you gave the player cream cheese to go with it, it was an infraction because it could then be considered a meal. And it was true.

Reactions: Ronman and amahawk
What gets me is there were actually people stupid enough to think this was going to help Iowa somehow.

Like Iowa was going to get into bidding wars or something.

Places like Iowa don't have the connections or the mentality to take advantage of this.

Im glad jbo is finally making his couple grand on autographs on his way out though.
Exactly. Michigan, Texas, OSU, Kentucky, Hell Oregon and the other OSU in Oklahoma. I guess someone needs to steer these folks who want to put their names on Buildings on the Iowa campus to start shelling out for top notch players. Unfortunately they don't get the same bang for their buck on a personal level or leave the same kind of family legacy in that scenario.

Reactions: RocknRollface

Wait, why should he not be able to profit off himself while he's in college? You don't seriously believe in the 1950s version of amateur sports, right? Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT