ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky is talking about CJ again

Doubtful the Hawks will make the tournament next year. Not good.

Transfer portal is ruining the sport.

Who’s going to score?

I would expect Keegan, Patrick and Toussaint to be the leading scorers at this point, depending on who comes in via transfer. Ironically I think we take a huge step forward defensively but obviously the offense takes a hit. Still think we’ll be fine though, fran has a pretty good system overall offensively.
If you have to wait 4 years to have a mild point, probably not worth bringing up. Listen, the fact our fans are seriously too dumb to understand we had to give our coach a contract extension that matches EVERY OTHER COACH AROUND, isn't Fran's problem. What does he sell a recruit when he has 2 years left on his contract? On top of that, what was Barta supposed to do at the time? Fran had just led us to two seasons of the NCAA tourney, with a cancelled season in between, that would have made it 3. I realize, like everyone else, that we aren't making Final Fours, but you don't fire/or not extend a coach for making the NCAA tourney like this. What would the next possible coach think.

This, Fran got an extension after having a team in the top15 all season long, and overall has the program back at the Tom Davis level now it feels like. Idk that I believe this is his ceiling or not, I’ve always believed that outside the elite programs success in the tourney depends so much on matchups and this year in particular had a lot of tough matchups for high seeds when you look at the first weekend in hindsight.

It is 100% relevant. You were trying to make a 4 year old point to someone complaining about the contract extension. If your too message board drunk from all your posts, maybe take a break. You are so damn flip floppy, same guy spreading doom and gloom about how terrible we were after the Indiana losses. Get a grip.

Lol. Okay, Jizz-man.

Stay salty and stupid.

The portal is chaos because the players are making their own decisions now. And most athletes aren't too bright!

So what you get is a portal filled with:

-Players thinking they are better than they really are. Most athletes!
-Players not happy with their coaches decisions. Most athletes!
-Players thinking the grass is always greener on the other side. Most athletes.

I think the portal also shows you the value that these players put on their education, which is "NO value at all". Even WITHOUT getting paid, they don't value their education so imagine their priorities if they are allowed to start making money! Everyone will transfer every year for a chance at an extra $1000!!!

• Haha
Reactions: weeterkane
Define “fine.”
Fine for me is making the tourney on a regular basis, say 4 years out of 5; depending on injuries or off court stuff. if not for the pandemic we would have made 3 tournaments in a row, 4+1 NIT berth out of 7, and only 1 losing conference record in that stretch.

Reactions: longliveCS40
Fine for me is making the tourney on a regular basis, say 4 years out of 5; depending on injuries or off court stuff. if not for the pandemic we would have made 3 tournaments in a row, 4+1 NIT berth out of 7, and only 1 losing conference record in that stretch.

Fran is going to have to do the best coaching job of his career to get Iowa back to the tourney next season. Unless JBo wants one last hurrah, we are not going to have a legit 3-point threat coming back.

I think we'll see some respectable defense finally, but unless we get some better scoring from the guards, the NIT is probably Iowa's ceiling, at best.

Reactions: longliveCS40
"...most athletes aren't too bright!"

- Replace 'athletes' with 'people' and you'd be a smidge more accurate imo

"Even WITHOUT getting paid, they don't value their education so imagine their priorities if they are allowed to start making money!"

- To me this statement rings as more of a reason to find a reasonable way past amateurism in big-time CFB and CBB than anything else.. Im not sure how to get there or what it might look like though

My God some people are infinitely stupid. If Perkins is better than CJ, then why couldn't he get minutes over a CJ that was playing hurt and a shell of himself?

A healthy CJ is a heck of a ball-player. How does someone go from the best defender on the team as a freshman, to a bad defender as a sophomore? How does someone go from shooting close to 50% 3balls and quite clutch, to afraid to even attempt a shot? His shot at the end of last season had no lift and didn't even look the same as his normal shot. How does someone have a sweet mid-range pull-up completely disappear from his game? It's called, the man was playing HURT. I don't know how that could be any more obvious.

Sure, without knowing personal specifics, I think this is a bullshit move by CJ. But who knows what happened. I know CJ showed a hell of a lot of loyalty signing with Iowa without a scholarship in the first place. So it's unfortunate that something has changed his mind.

But please get real people. CJ was not only better than his replacements (DUH), but his shooting was desperately needed for next season's roster. And no, Iowa's defense was at no point better without him. Please change your mind and stay, CJ. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Next season's squad could be a lot of fun with you a part of it.

To further call out the clueless, Iowa's defense will not be great next season just because there will be better athletes on the court. At no point will Iowa ever have a great defense until the coach teaches it properly. And even more importantly, until the coach values and emphasizes it
I agree CJ would have been a big factor next year and I'm not at all happy he's leaving but Perkins will be a better player than CJ going forward. Im am confident in that assessment. You can throw all the fits you want. Doesn't change anything.

Perkins has the ability to completely lock up a guy like CJ.

Last years PT is irrelevant when comparing a true frosh to a 3rd year player. Why couldn't anyone get minutes over Connor or JBO?

Its not about who's "better" when it comes to playing time with Fran.

You're right Fran places zero emphasis on defense in his evaluations of who he plays. If he did half the team would have looked different last year.

We'll see if Fran can take a team full of stud defenders and coach them out of playing good defense, I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Anybody think that CJ may just be realistic. I see a kid that can’t stay healthy doing what he is asked to do. He is a great shooter and could play that role incredibly well. He also has great touch when needed to drive. But he was forced on this team to be more than that and his body broke down.....repeatedly. He may just know his own body and know he can’t do what he would have to do to make Iowa good. Also may want out of what Izzo and company have made BIG basketball, bully ball

Lol, what?

All he was asked to do at Iowa was space the floor for Luka.

He had plantar fasciitis.

We have a clue, they are clueless. He’s going to play for the Hawkeyes unless I’m wrong. I’ve been wrong once or twice in my life and admit it when I am but CJ leaving makes no sense so until he or Fran say something , CJ is staying a Hawkeye
Well this post aged well . So much for your intuition on this one....

I am trying to figure out why he’s wanting to transfer. I felt like, if healthy, he’d take all of Bohannon’s minutes. Maybe the rumor of Bohannon coming back is true? If so, I’d take Frederick over Bohannon.
Yeah, overall I don't think Bohannon playing this past year was good for anyone but him.

I hope Fran isn't stupid enough to try it again next year.

What would he say? Should he shit on him? Beg him to return?
The fact that he doesn't say anything at all shows how pissed he likely is. Nunge, Pemsl, Dailey, etc all got praise and well-wishes when they left.

If it were a just world, he'd call CJ and his family out for being 2-faced pieces of shit, but it's not unfortunately.

Why does it seem as though this transfer portal is a one way street out of Iowa?
If you’re leaving a program you are probably looking to “chase rings/tournament success” would you want to come to Iowa where we haven’t made it out of the first weekend in 20+ years?

It's just reality. Iowa is not littered with four and five-star talent.

When healthy, CJ is more than a spot-up shooter. There are a lot of similarities in his game and Tyler Herro's. CJ is obviously not as good, but he's more talented than people give him credit for.

Personally, I think CJ would flourish at Kentucky.
If you take away the majority of Heros athleticism maybe.

I think he'll do good at UK as a spot up shooter though because they have plenty of guys who can beat a defender off the dribble.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
IIt’s perfectly fine to leave if he’s not happy. What isn’t fine is lying to your teammates and coach about it and waiting so long to tell them the truth. I agree with the poster that mentioned he was waiting for a spot to open up somewhere else.
Agree, and he wasn't just going to transfer anywhere. Would almost bet if Kentucky or any of his other local schools didn't show any interest, he would be staying at Iowa.

Reactions: GRT2B1
Given the makeup of the rosters, this move seems to hurt Iowa more than it benefits Kentucky. Will the addition of CJ really move the needle for them?

As much as I would like to have CJ back next year, his WAR is probably about 1.4. The idea that losing him takes us from a tournament team to something terrible is a bit much. If Joe W doesn't return, we are going to struggle either way.
Yeah maybe. Fact is nobody knows until all the games are played next year. Iowa still has plenty of good players around, and we MAY be pleasantly surprised how good some of them are a year older, a different role, more minutes, etc.

Losing the NPOY isn't good, but you'll likely see a different brand of basketball without Luka being the center of attention. But that doesn't mean they can't play winning basketball. I would guess the scoring goes down, but that could be offset some with better defense.

Watching Keegan Murray (and Kris in very limited minutes), does anybody think Kris Murray is going to be a stiff? Not me. We've got guys who can play, they may shine or they may dissapoint collectively, but until I see how it goes with my own two eyes I'm not gonna project doom and gloom OR greatness, because frankly nobody knows as of today.

I know going in we're not likely to win a National Championship, same as every year, so my hope is we're competitive and entertaining and finish as high as we can. We'll see a year from now how it worked out.

From my experience in the past ten years, customer service is dead! That's the problem. You're almost shocked (and pleasantly surprised) when someone actually goes out of their way to help you.
LOL! It might be on life support, but not dead IMO. I don't want to hijack this thread of doom and gloom, so apologies in advance, but our small Company puts a great deal of emphasis on Customer Service. Not everybody provides it however, and frankly some people are just plain lazy and are always going to be (they can be replaced! Ha!).

The good news is that if you're someone who provides it on a regular basis, you'll likely be rewarded in many ways, and not just monetarily. No matter your occupation, the Customer notices and they feel good, and so should the provider of it, even if there's nothing in it but a smile and a Thank You. Those little things are important too.

If you’re leaving a program you are probably looking to “chase rings/tournament success” would you want to come to Iowa where we haven’t made it out of the first weekend in 20+ years?
Still, it's got to be a step up for a lot of players, either stars on mid major or Div II teams that always wanted to play on the biggest stage.

No question about that but .... so what? Nothing is going to happen to Cal or to Kentucky.

NCAA investigators
source.gif

ADVERTISEMENT