ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky is talking about CJ again

What would he say? Should he shit on him? Beg him to return?

i think unlike nunge or pemsl last year he didn’t have any official statement wishing him the best etc. Fact that he said nothing or has no statement speaks volumes.

He’s already been to Frans mountain top why hang around?
Sorry, but that doesn't make it right. Especially considering Frans ties to his family. They did him wrong, and there is absolutely NO denying that. The shitty thing is he'll probably be injury free the rest of his career. Wouldn't that just be the shit. If he's not he'll not get much done there either so, we'll see.....

Exactly.

It destroying what makes college different from pro sports.

I’m a GOML guy on this. It’s just harder for me to care about and root for a bunch of mercs.

I think that’s just human nature.

On the other hand... it has been big business for the past 50 years. Maybe it’s just time to recognize it out in the open...

I don’t know.
Well said Rpeeps. It sure is taking a lot of the fun out of following your team and watching these young men grow up. Really hurts a school like Iowa, in football as well that prides itself on development.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
Hate to see CJ leave. Life continues on ... for CJ and for Iowa ...

As for Iowa basketball ... this last year was the best team/results you will see until Fran steps away ... He will never have as talented of a roster ... with a POY for two years in a row ... This was it folks ...

If McCaffery is having difficulty getting recruits and transfers to a school that was in the Top Ten the majority of the year, how would he do any better for a team that finishes in the basement of the B1G? We can only hope our bench is filled with the best kept secrets in the league.
I feel like maybe people weren't watching closely enough to what Iowa had on the bench last year.

Allot of the bench was better than who was playing.

Ulis is easily the best PG fran has brought in IMO and Keegan is probably the best all around player he's ever brought in. And he's got a twin.

Patrick was starting to look really good and Joe T and Perkins are bulldogs on defense and very physical drivers.

Fran shot himself in the foot by keeping these guys on the bench in favor of his "assist to TO ratio" guys last year.

I honestly couldn't be more optimistic about next years team.

I feel like maybe people weren't watching closely enough to what Iowa had on the bench last year.

Allot of the bench was better than who was playing.

Ulis is easily the best PG fran has brought in IMO and Keegan is probably the best all around player he's ever brought in. And he's got a twin.

Patrick was starting to look really good and Joe T and Perkins are bulldogs on defense and very physical drivers.

Fran shot himself in the foot by keeping these guys on the bench in favor of his "assist to TO ratio" guys last year.

I honestly couldn't be more optimistic about next years team.
Bro we literally just graduated the all-time scoring leader who Fran developed from start to finish here. Pump the brakes a LOT.

Just curious, what was your guess before CJ left?
I think that Fredrick as a veteran presence, leading scorer, and knockdown shooter alongside the current athletic/lengthy squad is good for about a .500 finish in Big Ten play and a spot on the bubble (maybe a bit optimistic). We don’t currently have any proven shooters, and an insane amount of youth. I’m almost at the point of thinking that Fran should say “eff it,” not bring in anybody else for next year, and let all of these young guys play heavy minutes and gain a lot of experience... even if it results in 5-7 Big Ten wins

I think that Fredrick as a veteran presence, leading scorer, and knockdown shooter alongside the current athletic/lengthy squad is good for about a .500 finish in Big Ten play and a spot on the bubble (maybe a bit optimistic). We don’t currently have any proven shooters, and an insane amount of youth. I’m almost at the point of thinking that Fran should say “eff it,” not bring in anybody else for next year, and let all of these young guys play heavy minutes and gain a lot of experience... even if it results in 5-7 Big Ten wins

I'm with you. I'm not sure CJ would make that much difference. I'm also thinking we should just play what we have and get some experience. It sucks to lose a good player like CJ but in the end it might be better for him and us. Kind of like when Moss left.

I'm with you. I'm not sure CJ would make that much difference. I'm also thinking we should just play what we have and get some experience. It sucks to lose a good player like CJ but in the end it might be better for him and us. Kind of like when Moss left.
I'm confident we're a better team with CJ Fredrerick on it, with the obvious caveat that he was healthy.

But since he won't be on it I'll worry about the guys we have, and at this point I think we'll be respectable until my own eyes tell me different. The cupboard isn't bare and John Lickliter won't be seeing minutes (even Connor is an upgrade. Ha!).

We won't be great most likely, but like most we rarely are so..............hope for the best and see what happens.

Did you not read my apology ?

Hawksfinal4 said:
We have a clue, they are clueless. He’s going to play for the Hawkeyes unless I’m wrong. I’ve been wrong once or twice in my life and admit it when I am but CJ leaving makes no sense so until he or Fran say something , CJ is staying a Hawkeye

Time to admit it. I was WRONG!!!!!! Again !!!!
I was a believer that when CJF said,” He was staying”, he was truthful . I’ll always fall for that. Once!
From now on though , anything I hear from CJF , I will not believe without proof. No excuse will suffice. I’m saddened , not that he’s leaving. In the end it’s his life, he should decide what’s best for himself and live with his decision. A friend once told me , something I’ve tried to live by and that’s “ Be responsible for your own actions “. I fell for someone lying. I am now reacting to my saying I believed him. I was wrong for doing so and I’m sorry for that.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Hawksfinal4 said:
We have a clue, they are clueless. He’s going to play for the Hawkeyes unless I’m wrong. I’ve been wrong once or twice in my life and admit it when I am but CJ leaving makes no sense so until he or Fran say something , CJ is staying a Hawkeye

I was a believer that when CJF said,” He was staying”, he was truthful . I’ll always fall for that. Once!
From now on though , anything I hear from CJF , I will not believe without proof. No excuse will suffice. I’m saddened , not that he’s leaving. In the end it’s his life, he should decide what’s best for himself and live with his decision. A friend once told me , something I’ve tried to live by and that’s “ Be responsible for your own actions “. I fell for someone lying. I am now reacting to my saying I believed him. I was wrong for doing so and I’m sorry for that.

Let us know when you're going to finally apologize :)

Bro we literally just graduated the all-time scoring leader who Fran developed from start to finish here. Pump the brakes a LOT.
Bro, why the fvck do you think that has anything to do with the talent of the players next year?

Please explain?

Have a look around the league.

Where do you realistically see Iowa finishing sans at least one portal home run?
Ranking the conference this early never matters.

I've seen enough of what Iowa has coming back to know that Iowa will be a competitive team next year and could potentially be the best defensive team in the league.

I never take most Iowa fans seriously, they don't watch enough basketball to know what they're talking about.

All this "struggle to win 5 games" stuff is exactly the same dumbass shit people were saying when Tyler Cook left.

Trust me, Iowa will be a good team for the next two or three years.

How good will depend on how many of them turn out to be able to shoot.

• Haha
Reactions: David1979
with so many kids in the transfer portal Iowa should have plenty of options to get in on.. this portal is not a one way street.. It’s up to Fran and his crew to add the right pieces.. it’s on them..
The portal really comes down to how players in the portal view Iowa. One question is where do we fall on the pecking order of division 1 college basketball to that player. Another is how do they fit in with the current openings at Iowa.

I think based on question one, you'll see transfers bound for Iowa make their decisions later. I think kids are going to wait around to see if they get offers from blue bloods and then if those don't come, they'll consider a place like Iowa. Really no different than the recruitment process out of high school. It's going to be an agonizing wait to see if we can lock up any transfers.

The portal really comes down to how players in the portal view Iowa. One question is where do we fall on the pecking order of division 1 college basketball to that player. Another is how do they fit in with the current openings at Iowa.

I think based on question one, you'll see transfers bound for Iowa make their decisions later. I think kids are going to wait around to see if they get offers from blue bloods and then if those don't come, they'll consider a place like Iowa. Really no different than the recruitment process out of high school. It's going to be an agonizing wait to see if we can lock up any transfers.
akin to getting a 'B list' wedding invitation? 🤡

Agree, there will be players available all summer.

Dominos will fall as the more well know schools fill up.

They may even start kicking good players out to make room for better ones.

Its at the very beginning right now.

Hopefully this CJ incident will prompt Fran to get his head out of his ass and wake up to the reality he's living in.

...and could potentially be the best defensive team in the league.
Bold statement. I have to disagree. Not seeing that at all.

There are teams with better talent that also have defensive cultures -- Purdue, Illinois, Michigan State, (lately) Michigan. Indiana will also likely be playing some good D.

In 11 years of coaching with varied personnel, McCaffery has never had the best defensive team in the league. In fact, he's consistently coached teams toward the bottom of the league defensively.

Maybe we were the clueless ones.... 😉

Bold statement. I have to disagree. Not seeing that at all.

There are teams with better talent that also have defensive cultures -- Purdue, Illinois, Michigan State, (lately) Michigan. Indiana will also likely be playing some good D.

In 11 years of coaching with varied personnel, McCaffery has never had the best defensive team in the league. In fact, he's consistently coached teams toward the bottom of the league defensively.
I'll agree with you on Fran, not a good defensive coach so that's working against them.

But there aren't teams with better defensive talent than the Murray twins, Perkins and Toussaint.

Having two 6'8 guys who can guard 1-5 allows you to do things that you can't usually do in college.

Im banking my prediction on Kris being similar to Keegan in his ability to tip balls, block shots and get rebounds and two of them on the court at once will make the defense exponentially better.

Athleticism will definitely be an upgrade next season. Hopefully, that translates to better defense. I think it will.

A running, pressing, Tom Davis style might be the ticket next year if we have the depth for it. Without guys that can knock down threes, we are going to need those transition buckets.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Hawksfinal4 said:

"just remember. It's not a lie if *you* believe it."

-George Costanza (or maybe CJ Fredrick? ;) )

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
Athleticism will definitely be an upgrade next season. Hopefully, that translates to better defense. I think it will.

A running, pressing, Tom Davis style might be the ticket next year if we have the depth for it. Without guys that can knock down threes, we are going to need those transition buckets.
portal will be the key, as it stands now I am not so sure we have enough warm bodies to run 'with the bulls' for an entire BT season....

Reactions: weeterkane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT