ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky signs Bama 4* receiver…portal + NIL money paves the way!

They also landed a DL transfer from Ohio St. Their success last year was due to the portal and a commitment to NIL (Wan’Dale Robinson got a six-figure deal). Our staff better figure this out. Don’t tell me we can’t improve several positions on this team by using the portal. One thing is for sure, don’t show up with only a smile. Without NIL money, you have no chance. Our coaches better start embracing a NIL strategy or recruiting will start to suffer. Kentucky has a firm called Virtus Brand that helps secure NIL for players. Anything like that going on in Iowa City?? There should be. I’m too far away to be on the ground to secure NIL deals and work with big donors to start a NIL fund like Texas, Texas A&M, Kentucky and others. Those who master the NIL game will have a HUGE advantage on the recruiting trail. We are falling behind.
On a side note huge fan of “Used Cars”.

I don't care to see Iowa pursue a win-at-all-costs approach. If you can only win by sacrificing integrity, I'll take not winning. Football just isn't that important. I'm amazed at the sheer number of morally bankrupt people who will do anything for the almighty 'W'.
LOL

“Football just isn’t that important”

This school brings in $120 million in revenue off football alone. Which will probably double in 5 years with new rights agreements. Of course its important. No one will want to watch a program that recruits at a D3 level.

And no one is morally bankrupt because we pay players just like your employer isn’t morally bankrupt from giving your stupid ass a paycheck.

You have to realize the university of Iowa is more than athletics. I believe the university revenue is north of $3B per year so football revenue is like 3%. If you don't think a university (or any business) would cut 3% of their revenue to protect their integrity as a whole I don't think you really understand the way things work.

LOL

This school brings in $120 million in revenue off football alone. Which will probably double in 5 years with new rights agreements. Of course its important. No one will want to watch a program that recruits at a D3 level.

And no one is morally bankrupt because we pay players just like your employer isn’t morally bankrupt from giving your stupid ass a paycheck.
I had the same thought. Like obviously I think morals are important…but I’m not sure that it’s morally bankrupt to allow a bunch of players (many of them from disadvantaged backgrounds) to get compensated when they put in insane hours and effort and risk great bodily harm every game…

LOL

Hey - I'm fine doing what's within the rules and the intent of the rules. When I say football isn't that important, I mean I don't think it's worth cheating to win. I don't even like people exploiting loopholes that bypass the intent of the rules. It may be OK based on a technicality, but it's still cheating in my book. There are many here with the attitude that "well, everyone else is doing it, we need to keep up". I'm not one.

My life will go on if NIL (or, in the future, paying players directly) kills the sport. My life will go on if Hawkeye football becomes DII level ball.

I'm here every day, so you know I care, but I also have perspective.

I had the same thought. Like obviously I think morals are important…but I’m not sure that it’s morally bankrupt to allow a bunch of players (many of them from disadvantaged backgrounds) to get compensated when they put in insane hours and effort and risk great bodily harm every game…
That wasn't my point at all. It's currently against the rules to use NIL as a recruiting tool...to make NIL promises to induce a player to come to your school. If schools are actively doing that, it's cheating. If other schools are doing it, I don't condone Iowa doing it just to keep up. Others here seem to be all for breaking the rules to win. That's my point.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
They also landed a DL transfer from Ohio St. Their success last year was due to the portal and a commitment to NIL (Wan’Dale Robinson got a six-figure deal). Our staff better figure this out. Don’t tell me we can’t improve several positions on this team by using the portal. One thing is for sure, don’t show up with only a smile. Without NIL money, you have no chance. Our coaches better start embracing a NIL strategy or recruiting will start to suffer. Kentucky has a firm called Virtus Brand that helps secure NIL for players. Anything like that going on in Iowa City?? There should be. I’m too far away to be on the ground to secure NIL deals and work with big donors to start a NIL fund like Texas, Texas A&M, Kentucky and others. Those who master the NIL game will have a HUGE advantage on the recruiting trail. We are falling behind.
Do us all a favor and become a Kentucky fan. Assuming you have only a few teeth, you will fit right in.

Reactions: PIEPI
That wasn't my point at all. It's currently against the rules to use NIL as a recruiting tool...to make NIL promises to induce a player to come to your school. If schools are actively doing that, it's cheating. If other schools are doing it, I don't condone Iowa doing it just to keep up. Others here seem to be all for breaking the rules to win. That's my point.
The NCAA has gotten the message loud and clear from the courts that it can no longer regulate outside compensation to athletes. So two things: A) don’t expect the NCAA to intervene even if boosters are totally and completely violating the spirit of the bylaw regarding NIL (and B) following the spirit of the rule is just self-immolation at this point.

Also, watch the NCAA follow up on Kansas and the other schools involved in the Adidas scandal, plus Memphis. My bet is that one or more of the coaches or schools ends up suing the NCAA and destroying the rest of whatever is left of amateurism at this point. Its clear that courts feel the NCAA is a cartel and should not be regulating athlete compensation in general (and not just NIL).

Ultimately in the long run I think the NCAA will be a much smaller organization focused on putting on sports championships rather than the enforcement behemoth it is now.

Ok, that makes a lot more sense. I don’t disagree with that at all, although it seems like the rule is more or less impossible to enforce so the NCAA really needs to adjust the rule to something that can be measured and enforced uniformly.

Ok, that makes a lot more sense. I don’t disagree with that at all, although it seems like the rule is more or less impossible to enforce so the NCAA really needs to adjust the rule to something that can be measured and enforced uniformly.

Agreed. Many take a rule that's difficult/impossible to enforce as a free pass to break the rule since you can't really get caught for breaking it. That's a serious ethical collapse and the type of thing I actively work to avoid. I know this sounds like something from Star Wars, but once you go down that path, you've opened the door to ever increasing ethical and moral violations that impact who you are as a person. I'm continually amazed at how many people are seemingly OK with that.

ZOMG one of the Blue Bloods didn't sign a top recruit, ZOMG NO WAYSSSSSSSSSSS!
Its just going to be a bidding war like professional sports. Boosters will offer money under the table. If you play fair you lose. So corrupt. They are ruining college sports.

Its just going to be a bidding war like professional sports. Boosters will offer money under the table. If you play fair you lose. So corrupt. They are ruining college sports.

You do understand that was happening before the NIL came into play, correct?

I don't care to see Iowa pursue a win-at-all-costs approach. If you can only win by sacrificing integrity, I'll take not winning. Football just isn't that important. I'm amazed at the sheer number of morally bankrupt people who will do anything for the almighty 'W'.
Its morally bankrupt to reap the benefits of others' talents and simultaneously penalize them for getting monetarily compensated. Does it matter if its at the recruit level? A freshman? Senior? Absolutely not. Its up to those facilitating the deals to do their due diligence. This process will regulate itself.
Im amazed at the number of people who think they are on some sort morality mountain top and fail to see the hypocrisy in their own stance.

Reactions: mikesright
Div1A - NIL schools and these should be labeled as semi-pro and loose all NCAA rights, perks, etc.
Div1B - All other schools.

I don't think you understand NIL ...nothing is under the table any more; it's all out in the open.

I don't think you understand NIL ...nothing is under the table any more; it's all out in the open.
There will still be deals under the table, please don't fool yourself. If an elite athlete is between schools and the NIL's are the same, a donor will donate.

There will still be deals under the table, please don't fool yourself. If an elite athlete is between schools and the NIL's are the same, a donor will donate.
What benefit is there to the athlete to keep the "under the table" deal quiet?

Expose it and let the "bidding" continue ...all within the rules now.

ADVERTISEMENT