ADVERTISEMENT

Keto and fasting

I've never tried ketosis or intermittent fasting- I love carbs and eating six meals a day. I do have friends that do keto and fasting and have had great results.

At the end of the day if it's working, good!

Side note: your girlfriend is worried, that may play to your advantage.

Isn't that what guys say when a gf/wife starts losing weight? That she's going to leave, cheat, she met a new guy...
She actually did the screen shot pic while we were chatting on FaceTime and mentioned that she thinks I will doing something bad

quick update. I’ve lost 14 pounds in 3 weeks. I’m now in a nice rhythm with food. 251 down to 237. Starting to get a mild ab again.

Girlfriend isn’t excited about it...thinks I’ll cheat. Odd comment from her
Cheat, duh? Tiger approves!

Reactions: unIowa
How tall are you? I couldn’t imagine being 240. I have never approached 180...but I’m only 6’1.”

Any secrets on intermittent fasting? I’m not doing Keto per se but still cutting out bread and pasta.

I’ve stuck with the 16/8 method for the last 3 weeks. Lost all my water weight (8ish pounds) almost immediately but have only managed to lose a pound the last two weeks.

Exercise half hour/day but not super high intensity.

Reactions: buudhawk
No. At least not normal ones.

It's a sentiment that has been expressed many times on here and the other site. Suddenly wearing new clothes, losing weight/going to the gym, wearing makeup/new hair. Stuff like that.

Any secrets on intermittent fasting? I’m not doing Keto per se but still cutting out bread and pasta.

I’ve stuck with the 16/8 method for the last 3 weeks. Lost all my water weight (8ish pounds) almost immediately but have only managed to lose a pound the last two weeks.

Exercise half hour/day but not super high intensity.
I fast from 7 pm to noon now. When I get hungry I drink carbonated water.

quick update. I’ve lost 14 pounds in 3 weeks. I’m now in a nice rhythm with food. 251 down to 237. Starting to get a mild ab again.

Girlfriend isn’t excited about it...thinks I’ll cheat. Odd comment from her

Maybe she’s just really concerned you’d be cheating on your diet

Reactions: RTM58
Does fasting include no coffee in the morning? No coffee would probably be a deal breaker for me.
you can drink black coffee. I put a splash of creamer that doesnt have carbs. It holds me over.

yesterday I ate 2 eggs and ham at 11:45am. I ate some non fat greek yogurt with blackberries at 3pm. At 6:30pm I ate a ribeye and asparagus. Ate some string cheese as an app.

typical day for me

Reactions: buudhawk
Started another fast on Sunday evening and thinking about going until Friday or even making it an even 7 days and trying to get all the way to Sunday evening (although it is usually the desire to have a low carb drink or 7 on the weekend that causes me to start eating some food again on Friday morning), we will see how it plays out as I only plan to take in coffee with a bit of cream and broth to help keep my sodium and electrolytes in place. I have not weighed myself since my last fast but Iost 10 lbs on it (probably gained 2 of water back once I started eating again but since then I am guessing I am at worst even if not down another 5 lbs...I just don't feel it is necessary to weigh myself all the time anymore as I know the weight is coming off via combo of living a low carb healthy fat eating lifestyle vs the SAD. I will weigh myself the day I decide to stop my fast to see where things come in, so far down 40 since early/mid Jan with no real dedicated increase in physical activity.

Also, just watched this video this morning that really makes you Calories In Calories Out model people look silly...it is an intersting 30ish minutes by a Harvard Doc that really puts into perspective how bad the standard American diet is for those in the moderate to high insulin production groups. If you still end up buying into the Calories In Calories Out model after this you are probably just one of those people who were blessed with low insulin productivity (not T1) as part of your genetics (congrats) but that doesn't give you a free pass to continue to sound like an uneducated dolt, so have a watch and have your mind opened to the real truth.

I had lost 15 pounds prior to our trip to Spain a few weeks ago. Pretty sure I gained all that back and then some during and after the trip. I am switching it up now and starting a 16/8 fasting schedule with workouts again.

I am hoping that between fasting and going back to the gym which also started last week, I see results pretty quick. Dieting alone isn't typically enough for me. I am 6'1'' and 230 lbs. currently, but would like to get back down to 210. I have a pretty large frame so I can carry that weight pretty easily. I am lucky at least that at 49, my body still responds quickly to lifting and cardio. Gotta muscle back up before swimming season. I am tired of feeling fat and tired all the time.

Started another fast on Sunday evening and thinking about going until Friday or even making it an even 7 days and trying to get all the way to Sunday evening (although it is usually the desire to have a low carb drink or 7 on the weekend that causes me to start eating some food again on Friday morning), we will see how it plays out as I only plan to take in coffee with a bit of cream and broth to help keep my sodium and electrolytes in place. I have not weighed myself since my last fast but Iost 10 lbs on it (probably gained 2 of water back once I started eating again but since then I am guessing I am at worst even if not down another 5 lbs...I just don't feel it is necessary to weigh myself all the time anymore as I know the weight is coming off via combo of living a low carb healthy fat eating lifestyle vs the SAD. I will weigh myself the day I decide to stop my fast to see where things come in, so far down 40 since early/mid Jan with no real dedicated increase in physical activity.

Also, just watched this video this morning that really makes you Calories In Calories Out model people look silly...it is an intersting 30ish minutes by a Harvard Doc that really puts into perspective how bad the standard American diet is for those in the moderate to high insulin production groups. If you still end up buying into the Calories In Calories Out model after this you are probably just one of those people who were blessed with low insulin productivity (not T1) as part of your genetics (congrats) but that doesn't give you a free pass to continue to sound like an uneducated dolt, so have a watch and have your mind opened to the real truth.

Guess I am one of those “silly” people. I ride a bike competitively, so between training and racing I burn a decent amount of kcals. With that said, I keep my macros at 40/30/30 (carb/fat/protein), and manage cals “in/out.” I weigh 150 lbs (under 8% bf at any given time) and am a little over 6”. Fasting for long periods (days) wouldn’t work with my weekly workout regiment, as peak performance is measurable/desirable.

Guess I am one of those “silly” people. I ride a bike competitively, so between training and racing I burn a decent amount of kcals. With that said, I keep my macros at 40/30/30 (carb/fat/protein), and manage cals “in/out.” I weigh 150 lbs (under 8% bf at any given time) and am a little over 6”. Fasting for long periods (days) wouldn’t work with my weekly workout regiment, as peak performance is measurable/desirable.

So you’re a scrawny little feller

Congrats on being a low insulin producer, you won the genetic lottery in terms of weight control.

Reactions: jasonrann
So you’re a scrawny little feller

I think you would be surprised. Wrestled in high school, so I am used to maximizing strength to weight. Cycling is all about power to weight ratio, so it’s certainly a focus and something I am familiar with.

Reactions: IAHawk2011
Lost 13 pounds first 3 weeks. No exercise beyond normal 6-7m steps. Throwing in extra walking now. Feel better already but have a long ways to go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT